Due to a technical issue you may currently be unable to access our Councillors, Commitees and Meetings section of our www.sefton.gov.uk website.
While we work to rectify this issue as soon as possible, we have published the below Cabinet Agenda pack for the next meeting of Sefton Council’s Cabinet on Thursday, November 6th, 2025
This will help make it easier for everyone to find the information they need in an accessible format. By turning on the site’s Recite Me, you can use the service to read website pages out loud in different voices and languages, increase and decrease the size of the text and change the type-style â including into a Dyslexic-friendly font.
This site will continue as a searchable news archive.
Outstanding architecture and design across Sefton will be celebrated at a glittering awards ceremony later this year.
Property owners, agents, architects and developers to nominate their favourite scheme from the last decade for Sefton Councilâs 2023 Sefton Design Awards.
The awards have been created by the Council to celebrate outstanding architecture, urban planning, and building projects across the Borough over the past 10 years.
Scheduled for October, the awards ceremony, at a venue in Southport.
Nominations are being welcomed in 11 categories. They are:
⢠Best heritage scheme
⢠Best small housing scheme (under 10 houses)
⢠Best individual new house
⢠Best large housing scheme (10 houses or over)
⢠Best conversion scheme (any use)
⢠Best commercial scheme
⢠Best home extension
⢠Best affordable housing scheme
⢠Best public building
⢠Best public art or public realm scheme
⢠Best sustainable/climate change resistant scheme
Derek McKenzie, Sefton Councilâs Chief Planning Officer, said: âThe awards are an excellent opportunity for architects, designers, and builders to showcase their work and gain recognition for their achievements.
“As a local authority that champions good design, we have created the Design Awards to provide a platform for celebrating the exceptional work of architects, designers and visionaries who have contributed to the Boroughâs immensely varied built environment.
âThis inaugural event will recognise the high standards of design in Sefton and inspire others to reach those same high standards.â said.
Finalists will be short-listed in August and winners will be announced at a ceremony in October, . The event will be attended by key figures from the design and construction industry.
The closing date for nominations is Wednesday 31st May.
Anyone wanting to find out more or nominate a scheme should visit www.sefton.gov.uk/designawards
/ENDS
Today is LAST CHANCE to apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate
Just a few hours left for people to apply for the new, free Voter Authority Certificate by 5pm today (Tuesday 25th April).
National legislation means that from Thursday 4th May, anyone who wanting to vote in person at a polling station is legally required to bring with them valid Photo ID.
Those who do not have one of the documents specified, which include passports, driving licences and other Blue Badges and national concessionary travel passes, need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, which they can use when they cast their vote.
However, in Sefton, just 400 people have applied for a Voter Authority Certificate so far, which is just 0.2% of the Boroughâs potential voters. Nationally just over 60,300 people had applied for a Certificate up to a few days ago.
Applications for a free Voter Authority Certificate must be received by 5pm on Tuesday 25th April, which is just a week away.
Dwayne Johnson, Sefton Councilâs Chief Executive and Returning Officer for the 2023 elections said: âThere are alternatives for those who donât have or donât want to use Photo ID but still want to vote.â
âMore than 43,000 people will be casting their vote by post this year, while nearly 200 voters have nominated a friend or family member to vote on their behalf â known as a proxy voter.
âBut the changes made by the Government to the UK electoral system through The Elections Act means that anyone who wants to vote at a polling station on Thursday 4th May is going to have to show Photo ID whether that is with an existing document or one of the new, free Voter Authority Certificates.
âApplying is easy and all you need is a recent digital unfiltered photo of yourself and your National Insurance number. Just go to www.sefton.gov.uk/voterid and follow the link from there to apply.â
Millions
It is thought that as many as many as one million eligible UK voters do not currently have accepted forms of photo ID.
Mr Johnson added: âPolling station staff will have no choice but to ask voters to return with valid ID if they initially show up without.
âThis could pose a considerable inconvenience to those wanting to have their democratic say and we are doing our best to make sure this kind of situation is avoidable.â
âThe deadline to apply for a VAC is 5pm on Tuesday April 25th which is just one week away so I would urge people to check at www.sefton.gov.uk/voterid to see if they have one of the required ID documents.
Advice
“And if they donât, my advice is to get their Voter Authority Certificate application in as soon as possible.â
To find out more about the forthcoming local elections people should visit www.sefton.gov.uk/elections.
The deadline for registering to vote was 11:59pm on Monday 17th April and the cut off for registering for a postal vote is 5pm today (Tuesday 18th April). The deadline to apply for a proxy vote for the May 2023 elections is 5pm on Tuesday 25th April.
World Immunisation Week is opportunity to ensure you are up to date with all vaccinations says Sefton Health Chief
Margaret Jones, Sefton Council’s Director of Public Health
As World Immunisation Week gets underway Sefton Councilâs Director of Public Health Margaret Jones is urging people across the Borough to ensure they are up to date with their routine vaccines.
Limelight
She said: âOver the past few years as a result of COVID, vaccines have been very much in the limelight and quite rightly so as during the pandemic they have saved many thousands of lives.
âIt is now important that we think about all those other vaccines that provide us with day-to-day protection from serious illnesses and suffering.
âThat means checking that we and, importantly, our children are up to date on the routine inoculations. The ones that protect us from serious diseases like measles, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough and hepatitis which, thanks to vaccines, have largely disappeared in our country.
âBut for some of us it also means making sure we have had all the vaccinations against COVID, which is still about, including the latest third primary doses for those people who are immunosuppressed.â
Risk
With one in ten children in England not up to date with their vaccinations and at risk of becoming seriously unwell, this World Immunisation Week (24-30th April), the NHS is encouraging people to make sure they are up to date with their routine vaccinations at all life stages.
In particular, the NHS is asking all parents to check if their children are up to date with their MMR vaccines to protect them against measles, mumps and rubella. To become fully protected, children need two doses, the first at age one year and the second at 3 years 4 months.
Rare complications
The World Health Organisation (WHO) have predicted a rise in measles cases across Europe in 2023, making it more important than ever to make sure that your child is fully protected. Measles can make a child seriously unwell and can lead to pneumonia and other rare complications such as blindness and brain damage.
To make sure your children are up to date check your childâs red book or GP records and make an appointment to catch up any missed doses.
Margaret Jones added: âAfter clean water, vaccination is the most effective public health intervention in the world for saving lives and protecting good health.
âPeople can check whether their child is up to date with their vaccinations by looking in the childâs red book or contacting their GP.â
Spring booster
People aged 75 years and older, residents in care homes for older people, and those aged 5 years and over with a weakened immune system are now being offered Spring coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccinations.
COVID-19 is more serious in older people and in people with certain underlying health conditions. For these reasons, people aged 75 years and over, those in care homes, and those aged 5 years and over with a weakened immune system are being offered a spring booster of COVID-19 vaccine.
The NHS is contacting those who are eligible for the booster, but people can also book online or visit a walk-in COVID-19 vaccination site.
The âLiving Wellâ bus service is returning to Sefton this month to offer eligible residents Spring booster jabs as well as the chance to catch up on first and second COVID-19 vaccines for anyone who hasnât had them yet.
On Friday 28th April, it will be at the former H Samuel unit, Strand Shopping Centre, Bootle and on Wednesday 10th May, it will be at Lidl Car Park in Maghull. The bus will be open from 10:30am-4pm and no appointments are needed.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.