Please follow & like us

RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
YouTube
Instagram

Local businesses vote ‘yes’ to renew Southport BID for five years

Southport BID has announced that the investment it brings to Southport and the work that it does in the town will continue for another 5 years. This news comes as a result of local businesses voting ‘yes’ for the continuation of Southport BID (Business Improvement District) for 2019-2024.

Businesses have been voting over the last month, having responded to the results already achieved by the BID and its plans for the future. These include the promotion of Southport, attracting external investment, developing and supporting initiatives to enhance the town, creating events, and championing the issues important to the town’s businesses.

58% of businesses voted in favour of renewing the BID. All businesses in Southport within the BID area and with a rateable value of over £7,000 were entitled to vote in a process managed by the Electoral Reform Service. The ‘yes’ vote means that the levy paid by businesses will see over £2 million invested directly into the town over the next 5 years.

Hugh Evans, CEO of Southport BID, says, “We are delighted that businesses have recognised the difference that having a BID is making in Southport and want our contribution to continue. This will ensure an important economic boost for Southport, which we want to thank the business community for making possible. In developing our plans we consulted with local businesses and will continue to do so as we begin to put these into place and look forward to working them and leading partners in the region in the coming months to do our very best for Southport.”

Robert Uffendell, chair of Southport BID, says, “Southport BID is voice for the business community with a focus upon improving the town for the benefit of those living and working in Southport or visiting the town. The yes vote is wonderful news and we thank all those who are helping and supporting us to move forward with our vision for a stronger, more successful Southport.”

For further information on Southport BID and its plans visit www.SouthportBID.com or contact the Southport BID office on 01704 538 382.

Thousands enjoy delights of 2019 Southport Food & Drink Festival

Thousands of food and drink lovers descended on Southport last weekend to sample the very best that the North West has to offer.

Occasional rain showers did not deter the crowds at Victoria Park between Friday May 31 and Saturday June 2 with hundreds of stalls offering a range of tasty delights and delectable treats to buy.

New additions to the festival this year included Oktoberfest tent, live DJs, added children’s entertainment and a reptile park.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “The Southport Food & Drink Festival is a fantastic annual event which benefits the whole town and the wider borough.

“Over the years the festival has evolved into an incredibly huge and diverse event and is now one of, if not the, biggest food festivals in the North West.

“Hundreds of our amazing local traders in Southport are joined each year by some of the finest food and drink producers from across the region in the fantastic setting of Victoria Park. It is a testament to the festival’s incredible popularity that so many people turned out despite the occasional rain shower! With so many people attending the event, the whole of the resort receives a real boost with added footfall right across the town.

“The Food & Drink festival kick starts what is an exciting programme of events for Southport over the coming months with the Air Show and the British Musical Fireworks Championships in September. We look forward to welcoming thousands more visitors for each of these events.”

Sefton welcomes over 8.7 million visitors a year contributing over £518 million to the local economy.

For more information about upcoming events in Southport please visit www.visitsouthport.com.

Sefton Council launches ant-idling campaign

Sefton Council is encouraging residents to stop idling their car engines when out and about in the borough with its new anti-idling campaign launched today in celebration of World Environment Day (June 5).

This comes as the council continues to promote clean air initiatives to protect the health and wellbeing of residents and improve the quality of air in Sefton.

Car idling is an unnecessary cause of air pollution and releases harmful gases into the air that can have a negative impact on health and can cause serious consequences for vulnerable people living with lung conditions such as asthma.

The campaign will focus on hotspot areas such as schools where car idling is common and will also target taxi and bus drivers who often leave car engines running while waiting for passengers.

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing said: “An idling engine can release as much pollution into the air as a moving one. Air pollution is a major threat to public health and by turning off your car engine while waiting in your car you can help make a big difference to the quality of air in Sefton.

“This campaign will help to raise awareness of this issue and encourage residents to make a positive behaviour change that will improve the environment and even save them money in the long run.”

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regulation and Compliance added: “Car idling is a particular problem around schools as parents pick their children up and drop them off. This is not only a waste of fuel but also threatens the health of the children who use the roads to get to school.

“I urge parents and other idling-offenders like taxi and bus drivers to switch their engines off the next time they’re waiting for their passenger and make a difference to air quality in Sefton.”

 

 

 

Have your say on local policy

Six Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) in Merseyside and Cheshire are currently working together to review more than 100 local NHS policies and treatments to ensure that they have the best possible outcomes for patients, are in line with the latest clinical guidance and are making the best of the limited NHS resources available.

CCGs in Halton, Liverpool, Southport and Formby, South Sefton, St Helens and Warrington are currently

reviewing treatments and procedures relating to:

  • Continuous glucose monitoring systems
  • Cough assist devices
  • Insulin pumps
  • Secondary care peripheral steroid joint injections
  • Surgery for Prostatism or lower urinary tract infection
  • Transanal irrigation

We are looking to understand the views and experiences of individuals/families who have received or are currently receiving one or more of the above treatments.  Clinicians, providers and community groups with an interest in the above treatments or policy changes, are also encouraged to share their views in the survey.

We are also informing patients about updates to Botulinum Toxin A & B treatments to bring them in line with NICE guidance and the Pan Mersey Area Prescribing Committee (APC).

The survey will be available online https://nhs.researchfeedback.net/s.asp?k=155652839910 which will take about 15 minutes to complete. The survey closes on 7 July 2019.

If you require this or more information in another format or language, an easy read version, would like to receive a hard copy or would like support completing this survey, please email us on mlcsu.involvement@nhs.net or call us on 01782 872506.

Anything you share will be anonymous. No personal identifiable information will be shared or published.

You can find out more about health policy reviews on your CCG’s website or by contacting us using the email address or telephone number provided.

Detectives appeal for information following a serious assault in Southport

A 31-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of Section 18 assault following an incident in Southport last night which has left a 51-year-old man in a critical condition.

At about 10.40pm officers on patrol spotted a disturbance on Lord Street and saw a man lying on the floor. When they got out of the patrol car the officers discovered the man was unconscious.

It turned out that the victim and his two sons had been to a pub nearby to watch the Champions League Final and were on their way home when they were attacked by a group of men near to the Scarisbrick Hotel.

The 51-year-old victim, who comes from Bulgaria, is believed to have been knocked to the floor and assaulted. One of his sons, aged 28 years from Southport, was also assaulted and suffered facial injuries.

Both men were taken to Aintree Hospital for treatment.

The father’s condition is described as critical.

Crime scene investigators have carried out forensic examinations at the scene and officers have carried out extensive inquiries locally. CCTV footage will also be examined in a bid to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Detectives are also looking at the possibility that this assault may be linked to another assault at the Potting Shed bar and restaurant on Lord Street shortly before this incident. A 32-year-old male was assaulted outside the restaurant. He suffered facial injuries and was taken to hospital where he was treated.

Detective Inspector Gary Stratton, said: “Our investigation into this incident continues and we remain very keen to speak to anyone with any information that could assist our enquiries.

“This was a vicious attack on a father and his two sons as they were making their way home after watching the Champions League final in a local pub. The investigation is in its early stages and at this time detectives are trying to ascertain the motive for the attack.

“Southport was busy on Saturday night as a result of the football and I would urge anyone who was in the Lord Street area, near to the Scarisbrick Hotel, who witnessed the incident and has yet to come forward, or who has any mobile phone footage to get in touch.

“I would also ask those who may have been driving it the area at the time to please check and send in any dashcam footage. You may have captured the incident, or people making off from the scene and your footage could prove vital.

“A number of people also spoke to officers who were first at the scene of this assault, but they didn’t leave their details. I would ask them to come forward as they could have crucial information.

“A 51-year-old man has been left in a critical condition and we are committed to bringing those responsible to justice. We know it was a busy time of day with many people in the area and anyone with any information, no matter how small is asked to contact @MerPolCC, 101 quoting reference 1149 of 1 June 2019, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or @CrimestoppersUK.”

The arrested male, who is from the Southport area, was also arrested on suspicion of possession of a Class A drug, is in police custody, where he is being interviewed by detectives.

Search Box