Please follow & like us

Sefton Council keen to ensure environmental & social factors fully considered in Port of Liverpool growth

Sefton Council has undertaken a review of alternative technologies and potential freight logistics solutions, and is committed to ensuring that environmental and social factors are fully considered alongside the economic factors, in the growth of the Port of Liverpool. This process has been undertaken with Arup, one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies.

Forecasts by the Department for Transport and by the port operator show an expected growth in traffic through the Port of Liverpool, and so Sefton Council remains severely concerned about the impacts on local communities.

We are committed to exploring alternative solutions to dealing with this growth, which is reflected in Sefton’s strong opposition to the proposals for the Port of Liverpool being designated a Freeport (as was reflected in the council’s response to the governmental conversation earlier this year) unless these environmental and social impacts are mitigated, and the local economic benefits truly harnessed.

We believe there are alternative technologies and solutions that are economically-viable and environmentally-friendly, which should be considered by stakeholders.

With support from Arup, Sefton Council has led on a study to better understand the technical and economic feasibility of a range of alternative solutions. This work identifies technological solutions that are in place elsewhere in the world that could apply to Sefton, and the Liverpool City Region, that deliver significant environmental benefits compared to road traffic, and that may be economically viable.

Leader of Sefton Council, Ian Maher, said “We believe that these opportunities not only align with the government’s objectives on innovation, technology and growth, but that they have the potential to support the connectivity and competitiveness of the Port of Liverpool, while also considering the impact of the port on local communities.

“We believe that these should be fully considered as part of the port access road project development process, and would welcome the opportunity to explore these project concepts further with the port operator, Department for Transport, and other key local stakeholders.

“Whilst we understand that the growth of the Port of Liverpool could bring potential economic benefits for local communities, if developed in the right way, we remain committed to ensuring that the social and environmental impacts of this growth are given at least equal weight by all parties.”

Peter Dowd, MP for Bootle, said “I welcome the report from Arup which adds a constructive dimension to the Port Access issue. Longer term multimodal freight options, as well as a major review of how government funds major infrastructure projects is needed if we are to break into the short term, reactive solution cycle that has bedevilled access to the Port for decades.”

Download the The Inland Port and Connectivity Concept report.

Hospitality, leisure and retail businesses urged to apply for latest grants

Sefton Council is urging businesses to apply for the latest round of financial support through the Hospitality, Leisure and Retail Grants (Expanded Scheme) which opens today (Monday 30th November).

National lockdown and local restrictions have had a significant impact on many businesses in Sefton and the Liverpool City Region. Some have benefitted from national support schemes.

Other businesses such as non-essential retail, the self-employed, sole traders, licensed market traders and limited companies based at home who predominantly supply the hospitality and leisure sectors haven’t met the criteria and have not received any financial support.

The Hospitality, Leisure and Retail Grants (Expanded Scheme) will be open for applications that meet the eligibility criteria from 11am on Monday 30th November and close at 5pm on Friday 11th December 2020.

The first round of funding has already seen over £1 million of grant assistance paid to 152 Sefton businesses.

Councillor Ian Maher, Leader of Sefton Council, said: “We have seen the impact of the pandemic on our local economy with businesses forced to close at various stages over the past nine months. This latest round of funding aims to help those businesses who have been unable to access other national support schemes by providing financial support to enable them to continue trading.”

Business must be based in Sefton, or one of the other Liverpool City Region local authority areas. The grants are simple to apply for and businesses will not have to repay them.

To find out more about the eligibility criteria and how to apply, businesses should visit the Sefton Council website: https://www.sefton.gov.uk/covid19business

Cllr Maher added: “We recognise the key contribution these businesses make to the Sefton economy and we urge all that fall into these categories to follow the simple processes that are in place so that they can receive these grants as quickly as possible.”

Ongoing business support and advice for all businesses across Sefton is available via InvestSefton, which leads on the Council’s business support. It has dedicated information available on all of the latest Covid-19 updates and support available to businesses in Sefton.  To access this information visit: www.investsefton.com.

Joint statement from Metro Mayor, City Mayor and Leaders of the six Liverpool City Region Local Authorities on being in Tier 2 restrictions

“Today’s announcement that the Liverpool City Region will exit the national lockdown into Tier 2 is welcome news and a testament to the sacrifice and reliance of everyone who lives here. We’d like to thank each and every person that helped us to achieve this outcome.

“When we entered Tier 3 restrictions seven weeks ago, we were in a very dangerous situation. We had the highest transmission rates in the country and faced the very real risk that our NHS would be overwhelmed.

“We are really pleased that today we see a more encouraging picture, with cases down by over two-thirds since their peak and COVID related hospital admissions also decreasing significantly, relieving some of the pressure on ICU.

“The balance of evidence shows that although we faced a difficult decision over Tier 3, locally we took the right decisions, at the right time.

“We recognised that action was required, but also fought hard for the financial support for our businesses and workers most affected. We always have and always will try to do the best thing for our people and our businesses.

“However, while today’s announcement is undoubtedly welcome, no one should be in any doubt that many difficult months ahead lie ahead.

“We know that these new Tier 2 restrictions will still be tough for many of our businesses and, until a full vaccination programme has been rolled out, the threat from COVID remains a very real and present danger.

“So, we urge everyone to continue to do what they have been doing so well over the past few weeks: following the guidance, protect each other and protect our health services. The worst thing we could do now is to slow the progress we have made or risk a third wave through complacency.

“So please wear your face covering; keep your distance; wash your hands; keep getting tested; and use these hard-won freedoms wisely.”

Find out more about what being in Level 2 restrictions means.

Tier 2 restrictions for Sefton and Liverpool City Region after Wednesday 2nd December

National lockdown due to end but local restrictions now come into force

From Wednesday 2 December, the UK national lockdown ends but Sefton and the rest of the Liverpool City Region will then be placed in Tier 2 ‘High Alert’ of the Government’s alert system.

Liverpool City Region went into the national lockdown on 5 November in Tier 3 ‘Very High Alert’. This means the actions taken and sacrifices made by residents and businesses over the last month have had a positive impact on our infection rates, resulting in the area now being placed in the lower Tier 2 category.

What does Tier 2 mean?

Residents and businesses within Tier 2 must stick to the following restrictions:-

  • No household mixing in any indoor setting.
  • Rule of six applies outdoors – any social gatherings of more than six people are against the law.
  • Pubs and restaurants must close by 11pm – last orders will be called at 10pm.
  • Alcohol can only be served as part of a substantial meal.
  • Spectators are allowed at sports events and live performances (capacity will be limited and social distancing must be stuck to).
  • Personal care, including hairdressers and barbers, is allowed.

The Government is reviewing the Tiers every two weeks, meaning if our figures start to increase, we could be placed in a higher category with tighter restrictions so it’s really important that everyone keeps up their efforts.

Why are these restrictions necessary?

 We know that COVID-19 is easily transmitted from person to person and while our infection rates have been reducing, they are still too high.

Action needs to be taken to stop the spread of the virus within our communities and limiting interactions with other people as much as possible will help to contain the virus.

The restrictions are in place to protect not only yourself, but those around you.

The sooner we can contain the virus within our communities, the sooner we can get back to some sort of normality.

Remember if you, or anyone in your household, starts to experience symptoms, it is important that you isolate and book a test. The main COVID-19 symptoms are a high temperature, a new continuous cough and a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste.

You can book a test online https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test or by calling 119.

The full list of Tier 2 restrictions is available on the Government’s website.

Tier 2 guidance and the five-day Christmas arrangements for People who are Clinically Extremely Vulnerable from COVID-19.

Sefton Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher said:

“Everyone across the Liverpool City Region is playing their part to get our infection rates down and that effort is clearly having an impact as we have come out of lockdown in a better position and in the Tier 2 alert level.

By following the rules, we have seen a significant decrease in our infection rates across the Liverpool City Region and the mass testing programme in Liverpool is helping us to better understand the virus and, importantly, identify people who don’t have symptoms but have tested positive so that they can self-isolate and prevent the further spread of the virus.

Whilst our figures are reducing, they are still too high but we have demonstrated that by following the rules, we can improve our infection rates here across the Liverpool City Region. This is a great achievement and one that we will continue to build on over the coming weeks and months.

Stop. Think. Do the right thing by continuing to follow the rules so that we can start to do and enjoy the things we once did and get back to some sort of normality sooner.”

Joint statement from Metro Mayor, City Mayor and Leaders of the six Liverpool City Region Local Authorities on being in Tier 2 restrictions

Find out more about he Government’s arrangements for Christmas.

Council leader welcomes new £9.5 million fund for ‘forgotten businesses.

Sefton Council Leader, Cllr Ian Maher has welcomed the new, £9.5 million Liverpool City Region fund to support ‘excluded and forgotten’ in retail and hospitality sectors.

Cllr Maher said: “We know businesses in Sefton’s hospitality sector have been hard hit by the Government’s COVID restrictions and this fund is an important potential new source of funding for some of those which have so far been overlooked by national schemes or previously haven’t been eligible.

“We will be announcing details of the new fund and how to apply very soon.”

Believed to be the first of its kind in the country, the fund will be open to small and micro businesses in the, hospitality and leisure sectors, including some of those excluded from national support schemes like the self-employed, sole traders or home-based.

Local supply chain businesses in the sector are now also eligible for the first time and there will also be support for businesses in non-essential retail.

The funding is the latest round of the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority’s £40 million COVID emergency fund which was first announced when the City Region was placed in increased Covid-19 restrictions in October.

The announcement comes as political leaders from across the North and London step up pressure on the Government to address the needs of the 3 million people still excluded from national Covid-19 support packages.

Cllr Maher added: “In his Spending review, we need to see the Chancellor Rishi Sunak need to  echo the City Region’s action by broadening the eligibility of businesses that qualify for national support schemes from which so many have been excluded.”

Announcing the funding Steve Rotheram, Metro Mayor of Liverpool City Region, on behalf of the LCR Council Leaders and Mayors, said: “We are doing everything we can to protect as many local jobs and businesses as possible, who are under threat from the impact of Coronavirus.

“This latest round of local funding will be open to the sorts of small and micro businesses that have so far had to get by without any help from national government. Thousands of people depend on these businesses for their livelihoods and they are at the very heart of our communities.

“However, we remain deeply frustrated that, although we can now provide support for more businesses in the, hospitality and leisure sectors locally, we still do not have all the funds we need to support everyone excluded from national support schemes.

“It defies belief that almost 3 million hard-working people – childminders, booksellers, accountants, entertainers and many, many more – have been left without support since this pandemic started. These small business owners, freelancers and the self-employed showed the entrepreneurial spirit the Government so often calls for yet, when they need support most, the Government has not been there for them.

“So today we are calling on the Chancellor to right the injustice done to the 3 million excluded from support, when he delivers his spending review tomorrow.”

Detailed information on eligibility and the applications process will be released later this week by Sefton Council a and the six other City Region councils.

Search Box