Please follow & like us

Sefton’s sporting stars shine at annual awards gala

Sefton has once again honoured the borough’s sporting heroes at a glittering ceremony in Southport.

Sporting stars and unsung heroes were hailed at the 2019 Sefton Sports Awards, which took place at Southport Theatre and Convention Centre last week (Wednesday, June 26).

Organised by Active Sefton, the awards celebrate a host of volunteers, coaches, teams or individuals from across the borough who have been successful or shown great tenacity in their sport.

Hundreds of nominations were whittled down to 51 shortlisted hopefuls all looking to walk away with one of the coveted trophies.

Special guest speaker and former marine, Andy Grant, was on hand to leave not a dry eye in the house with his speech documenting how he fought back from adversity and became the worlds fastest single leg amputee.

Joining Andy was our host Leanne Campbell from Radio City who was on hand to announce all the winners and highly commended sporting stars, many of whom dedicate much of their life to sport with little thanks or recognition.

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, added: “It is down to these people, clubs, teams and schools that grassroots sport has a place in Sefton and our young people are inspired and supported when following their sporting ambitions.

“Congratulations to all of our worthy winners and thank you for your commitment to sport in Sefton!”

This year’s Workplace of the Year winner, EMR Recycling, were highlighted for their ongoing work to support and assist Bootle Bucks Inclusion Football Club.

Scott Bamborough, EMR Metal Recycling Area Manager, said: “It was a huge pleasure to accept the award on behalf of the partnership with EMR and Bootle Bucks Inclusion FC.

“It is a sincere honour to support ‘The Bucks’ with their huge success in giving every child the opportunity to play football. It is much more than a football club – it’s a community and support network for kids, parents and carers. It is an extended family to all involved.

“All of us at EMR are honoured to have been given the opportunity to be part of this family.”

For more information about the Active Sefton Sports Awards, please visit https://www.sefton.gov.uk/activesefton

Exciting proposals revealed for transformation of Southport Market

Exciting new plans are being developed to potentially transform Southport Market into a unique food and drink offer with flexible events and market space.

Impressive images have just been released charting how the King Street market could look like in the future.

While no final decisions have yet been made, Sefton Council is starting the process by talking to current stall holders about the exciting plans with the view of moving things forward through the usual formal process.

Sefton remains totally committed to ensuring Southport Market continues to operate and makes a positive contribution to the local economy as well as becoming a key visitor destination.

For this to happen, the Council believes the current operating model needs to be adapted to meet changing consumer and businesses demands, and are looking at options on how to build on the previous investment that will potentially deliver:

• Enhanced hot food and drink offer
• Self-contained food retail units
• Flexible market and events space

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “We really value Southport Market but sadly it has become evident that many factors are making trading conditions extremely difficult and occupancy levels continue to fall.

“While we have been actively promoting it and trying to secure new traders along with other initiatives to help deliver a long term sustainable future for the market, this has sadly not worked.

“As a result and building on our former investment at the market, new plans are being developed to potentially transform the building into a unique offer that will only benefit the town and the wider borough.

“Nothing is set in stone and as we develop further plans over the coming weeks and months we will ensure existing traders are fully kept up to date and consulted on any final plans.

“While we totally understand how trading conditions have been difficult in the market for many months, we remain committed to supporting traders throughout this exciting process and will continue to do so.”

Blackhurst’s butchers have been in the market for 40 years.

Owner, Tony Blackhurst, said: “Having seen the market change over a number of years I am really excited to see the latest plans and look forward to Blackhurst’s butchers playing a key role in the market’s transformation. Blackhurt’s butchers along with the other market traders remain open and we look forward to seeing you soon.”

Anyone who may have an interest in the market’s exciting future plans, please contact tourism@sefton.gov.uk

Southport Half Marathon 2019: Travel and General Advice

This Sunday (June 30) Southport town centre will host to the 2019 Southport Half Marathon with hundreds of runners taking part 

This means the town will be exceptionally busy throughout the build up and duration of the marathon.

The route is 13 miles in total, starting at Victoria Park and incorporating Lord Street, Hesketh Park, Fleetwood Road, Marine Drive, the Promenade, Kings Gardens & Rotten Row.

In order to keep runners safe, road closures will be in place for the duration of the event, starting from 8.30am.

Roads will reopen to general traffic as the route is completed and the final closures are expected to be lifted around 1pm.

Southport Beach Car Park will be closed to the public during the morning to help facilitate the event and staff from Green Sefton will be assisting on the day. We hope to have the beach reopen for public parking from 1pm.

We’re working with organisers to help keep our beautiful borough clean and tidy and reduce the amount of litter which results from large scale events.

There will be four drop zones clearly signed at the water stations. Littering outside of these zones will result in a disqualification from the race.

Temperatures this weekend are expected to be between 18-26°c so regardless of if you’re running, cheering on a loved one or enjoying anywhere in our beautiful borough, please stay hydrated and apply sun-cream.

Everyone is welcome to come and watch the Half Marathon. The best and safest places to watch are around Victoria Park and the Marine Lake Café in King’s Gardens.

Don’t be offended if race marshals ask you to move. It’s to keep both you & runners safe!

Take full advantage of public transport to get here but if you’re driving, here’s some helpful routes:

East: Follow A570 Southport
South: Follow A565 North (Formby By-Pass)
North: Follow A59 South and then A565 into Southport

All participants and spectators are encouraged to park on Esplanade Car Park at the Eco Centre from 7am.

This offers the most convenient access to the venue and will cause the least disruption to our residents and businesses in the area.

We hope you enjoy your time in #MySefton, stay safe and good luck!

Second bid submitted for Heritage Lottery funding

Sefton Council has submitted a second round bid for National Lottery Heritage Funding (NLHF) for a major project in Southport town centre.

The Southport Townscape Heritage Project aims to enhance the quality and strength of the linkages between the town centre and the seafront so that the two become more integrated.

The project aims to increase the levels of economic activity within a target area and reduce the number of vacant and underused properties.

It will focus on historic properties between Lord Street and the Promenade and aims to complement the previous Lottery funded restoration of King’s Gardens and the recent £2m award from the Coastal Communities funds for Southport pier.

The total combined funding pot is £2.47 million including a request of £1.62m from the National Lottery Heritage Fund.

The second round is very competitive and is open to bids nationally and Sefton will find out in September 2019 if they are successful.

Cllr Daren Veidman, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Planning and Building Control, said: “Since we submitted our first round bid, a lot of work has been undertaken to fully develop the project including the adoption of the Conservation Area Management Plan, discussions with building owners, building property surveys and valuations, further public consultation and workshops with project partners.

“If approved we really believe the money will enhance the links between Lord Street and the Promenade reducing the vacant and poorly maintained properties and greatly increasing economic activity in these areas.

“The project also aims to increase local knowledge and appreciation of Southport’s rich heritage and inspire future generations featuring specialist educational courses on traditional building methods, the innovative use of digital technology, as well as a mix of complementary heritage-focused activities.”

If successful the project will be delivered over the next 5 years up until 2024.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, added: “The overall project aims to carry out essential conservation work, involving structural and external repair of historic buildings, the reinstatement of authentic architectural features and works to bring vacant floor space in historic buildings back into use.

“Lord Street and the Promenade conservation areas provide a rich and nationally significant collection of historic buildings and landscaping. We firmly believe preserving this heritage for residents, businesses and visitors alike will contribute greatly to the town’s economy while providing a strong sense of identity, local pride and community value.

“It runs along the recent King’s Gardens improvements, the Pier restoration, the Lord Street verandah project and other key developments in the resort.”

To keep up to date with the project and find out more information on Southport’s Heritage, follow us on Twitter @SouthportTHP and Facebook www.facebook.com/groups/southportthp

Regional business leaders learn all about AI at latest Economic Forum

Business leaders from across the region have attended the latest Sefton Economic Forum to find out how Artificial Intelligence can support their business.

Hosted by InvestSefton, the Spring Sefton Economic Forum took place at the Park Hotel, Netherton with more than 70 local businesses present to discuss how the local economy is faring, and to learn about Artificial Intelligence and how SME’s can benefit from this technology.

The popular forum included guest presentations from Christian Spence, Head of Future Economies Analytics, Manchester Metropolitan University, Dr Carl Chalmers, Senior Lecturer in Computer Science, Liverpool John Moores University and Simon Reid, Head of Advanced Manufacturing at Liverpool City Region Local Enterprise Partnership.

Ensuring the presentations ran smoothly was guest chair, Chris Burgess, a Sefton based health and well-being expert.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “This was yet another great event with over 70 businesses turning up to learn all about how they can make both their own business and the local economy grow.

“All of our speakers gave a great overview of the local economy and the many opportunities that exist to stimulate and support business growth. Christian’s economic update provided a whistle-stop tour of the local and regional economy, Carl completely demystified the use of Artificial Intelligence in business while Simon highlighted how SME’s can benefit from Artificial Intelligence.

“After the forum finished, businesses spent time in the Growth Hub Marketplace and met with representatives from over 15 different business support agencies who provided vital information on what help is available to boost business.

“I would like to once again congratulate the InvestSefton team on organising such an interesting and well attended forum. I would encourage Sefton businesses looking to invest in AI technologies, or understand what it can do for them to contact the Sefton Growth Hub.”

For more information about the Sefton Growth Hub and further Sefton Economic Forum events call 0151 934 3452 or email info@investsefton.com.

Search Box