Please follow & like us

Council Tax payments – help is at hand

Sefton Council remains committed to collecting all debts and continues to offer help and advice to residents struggling to pay their Council Tax.

Currently, Sefton Council’s Council Tax collection rate is 96% and the local authority continues to be serious about collecting any outstanding debts.

However, if residents are finding it difficult to pay their Council Tax and fall behind in their payments, help is available and residents are urged to please contact the Council as soon as possible.

Personal assessments can be made to assist with future payments with help, advice and signposting to organisations like the Citizen’s Advice Bureau all available.

Sadly, some people fail to contact Sefton Council with any debt problems and last year, more than 23,000 people were issued with a court summons for failing to pay their Council Tax.

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regulation and Compliance, said: “We will always do our best to collect what is rightly owed to us and feel we offer many valuable services through the income we receive from our Council Tax and Business Rates.

“However, we also recognise that some people struggle to pay their Council Tax bills. If this is the case, please don’t suffer in silence and contact us as early as possible.

“Help is available and the earlier people get in touch regarding their debts, the quicker we can assist them in meeting those payments.

“The last resort is prosecuting people for not paying their Council Tax and often this could be easily avoided.

“For every 1% of Council Tax we collect results in about ÂŁ1.5m being spent on vital services that support our communities. It makes sense that the more we collect then the more we have to have to spend in the future.”

For more information, including help and advice on paying your council tax, please call 0345 140 0845 or visit www.sefton.gov.uk/counciltax

Sefton’s chip shops batter the competition ahead of National Fish & Chips Day

Fish and Chip shops across Sefton repeatedly batter the competition according to the local authority’s public protection team.

To mark National Fish & Chips Day on Friday, June 7, Sefton Council is celebrating the bream of the crop by highlighting the dozens of five star takeaways which regularly delight hungry residents throughout Sefton.

More than fifty takeaways and restaurants specialising in the British delicacy have been handed a much coveted five star food hygiene rating by the local authority’s Public Protection food safety specialists. 

 

Restaurant assessment takes account a number of factors, including:

  • The structure and cleanliness of the premises
  • Hygiene practices and protocols
  • Confidence in management and systems in place

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regulation and Compliance, said: “When the chips are down, you can really rely on our dedicated and devoted Public Protection team to tell you were the very best takeaways are.

“In fact more than 70% of all food businesses in Sefton are in the top hygiene category and achieving this rating demonstrates how seriously businesses consider food safety which, in turn, protects their customers.

“Businesses are inspected regularly to ensure that food is being manufactured, prepared and handled in a hygienic and safe manner.

“We have more than fifty 5 star fish & chip shops across Sefton who all serve up a delicious portion of Britain’s favourite comfort food.

“So I encourage you all on this National Fish & Chips Day 2019 to declare Friday night as chippy tea night and enjoy what our wonderful restaurants have to offer.”

For more details about how food hygiene ratings are determined, or to find out the rating of your local takeaway, visit www.food.gov.uk.

Local businesses vote ‘yes’ to renew Southport BID for five years

Southport BID has announced that the investment it brings to Southport and the work that it does in the town will continue for another 5 years. This news comes as a result of local businesses voting ‘yes’ for the continuation of Southport BID (Business Improvement District) for 2019-2024.

Businesses have been voting over the last month, having responded to the results already achieved by the BID and its plans for the future. These include the promotion of Southport, attracting external investment, developing and supporting initiatives to enhance the town, creating events, and championing the issues important to the town’s businesses.

58% of businesses voted in favour of renewing the BID. All businesses in Southport within the BID area and with a rateable value of over £7,000 were entitled to vote in a process managed by the Electoral Reform Service. The ‘yes’ vote means that the levy paid by businesses will see over £2 million invested directly into the town over the next 5 years.

Hugh Evans, CEO of Southport BID, says, “We are delighted that businesses have recognised the difference that having a BID is making in Southport and want our contribution to continue. This will ensure an important economic boost for Southport, which we want to thank the business community for making possible. In developing our plans we consulted with local businesses and will continue to do so as we begin to put these into place and look forward to working them and leading partners in the region in the coming months to do our very best for Southport.”

Robert Uffendell, chair of Southport BID, says, “Southport BID is voice for the business community with a focus upon improving the town for the benefit of those living and working in Southport or visiting the town. The yes vote is wonderful news and we thank all those who are helping and supporting us to move forward with our vision for a stronger, more successful Southport.”

For further information on Southport BID and its plans visit www.SouthportBID.com or contact the Southport BID office on 01704 538 382.

Thousands enjoy delights of 2019 Southport Food & Drink Festival

Thousands of food and drink lovers descended on Southport last weekend to sample the very best that the North West has to offer.

Occasional rain showers did not deter the crowds at Victoria Park between Friday May 31 and Saturday June 2 with hundreds of stalls offering a range of tasty delights and delectable treats to buy.

New additions to the festival this year included Oktoberfest tent, live DJs, added children’s entertainment and a reptile park.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “The Southport Food & Drink Festival is a fantastic annual event which benefits the whole town and the wider borough.

“Over the years the festival has evolved into an incredibly huge and diverse event and is now one of, if not the, biggest food festivals in the North West.

“Hundreds of our amazing local traders in Southport are joined each year by some of the finest food and drink producers from across the region in the fantastic setting of Victoria Park. It is a testament to the festival’s incredible popularity that so many people turned out despite the occasional rain shower! With so many people attending the event, the whole of the resort receives a real boost with added footfall right across the town.

“The Food & Drink festival kick starts what is an exciting programme of events for Southport over the coming months with the Air Show and the British Musical Fireworks Championships in September. We look forward to welcoming thousands more visitors for each of these events.”

Sefton welcomes over 8.7 million visitors a year contributing over ÂŁ518 million to the local economy.

For more information about upcoming events in Southport please visit www.visitsouthport.com.

Merseyrail launches 15-minute Sunday service between Southport and Liverpool for summer

Merseyrail has announced that it is introducing its Sunday 15-minute summer service between Southport and Liverpool this year.

Beginning this Sunday (26 May), services will become more frequent with trains every 15 minutes, rather than every 30, to match those running throughout the week until 22 September.

These regular services will run all day, and between 10am and 11pm on Sundays, with regular 30-minute trains running outside these times, giving passengers a great opportunity to make the most of the bank holiday weekend.

Merseyrail passengers will be able to make the most of the longer evenings, sunny days and array of destinations and outdoor spaces along the line, with the rail operator taking them right to wherever they want to be with 68 stations across the network.

Passengers can take advantage of the Merseyrail Day Saver, which is a great value way of making as many journeys as they like throughout the day for as little as ÂŁ2 for 5-18 year-olds and ÂŁ4 for adults.

This ticket is valid off-peak (after 09:30 on weekdays), anytime on weekends and bank holidays, making Merseyrail the perfect way to get around this summer.

Families can also enjoy a day out with Merseyrail’s Family Ticket offering unlimited off-peak travel throughout the day for just £11 for a family of five.

Paul Bowen, Deputy Managing Director of Merseyrail, said: “We have reintroduced our summer 15-minute service on our Northern Line this year to provide a quality service for our passengers during the warmer months, when we see a greater demand for services on the Southport line.

“This is one of our busiest lines with some fantastic destinations and outdoor spaces within walking distance of the stations and this additional frequency means passengers can travel with greater flexibility.”

Passengers will never be stuck for things to do using Merseyrail’s Destination Merseyside online planner – a dedicated leisure site showcasing the best destinations, attractions, events and outdoor spaces across the network.

The site also incorporates a journey planner ensuring passengers get to where they want to be for the best value.

Search Box