Please follow & like us

Sefton’s Fostering Services’ ‘Pop-Up’ Success During Foster Care Fortnight

Sefton Foster Carer Ginny and Cllr Mhairi Doyle, Cabinet Member for Children's Social Care standing in front of neon angel wings
Sefton Foster Carer Ginny and Cllr Mhairi Doyle, Cabinet Member for Children’s Social Care

Sefton has hailed Foster Care Fortnight 2022 a great success as the Fostering Team went into the heart of the community to speak to people about how our foster carers are changing the lives of children and young people.

A ‘Pop-Up’ shop was set up at Bootle Strand Shopping Centre for four days, giving people the chance to meet some of Sefton’s amazing foster carers, our exceptional young people who have lived or are currently living in foster care and the Fostering Services’ friendly team.

With a life-size children’s bedroom as a window display, people were prompted to ask themselves whether they had a spare room to offer a child a safe place to stay.

The Strand proved to be the perfect place to reach out to the public as lots of Sefton residents, businesses and community groups attended events including an open discussion and Q&A with an experienced panel, information sessions and drop-ins.

People also took part in angel themed activities which aligned with our #EverydayAngel campaign, celebrating our foster carers and urging local people to think about giving a loving home to a child and become their #EverydayAngel.

People young and old were invited to take a snap in front of the Instagramable neon angel wings and got involved in the ‘Angel Wing Project’, which will see hundreds of decorated paper feathers make up large angel wings to be displayed at various locations across the borough.

Angela has been fostering babies with Sefton for 10 years and spoke to people at the Strand, “It’s been brilliant to be out and about talking to shoppers about my experiences. So many people have stopped and said they’ve thought about fostering or they’d love to do it but never got round to speaking to anyone about it.

“If fostering has ever crossed your mind, please just take that first step to find out more. I can honestly say it’s the best thing I’ve ever done.”

Amy Lahiff is a Personal Advisor for Sefton’s Leaving Care Team and was herself in Residential Care from the age of 13. She came along to the Strand to share her experiences.

“It’s so important for me to let people know how vital it is that we have more foster carers. I was in Residential Care and am so grateful to the staff there but I always longed to be in a foster home so I could feel like I was part of a family again and have that one-to-one love and support.

Because of the lack of carers no one came forward to foster me and that will stay with me for the rest of my life.”

Attending the Q&A panel discussion event, Councillor Mhairi Doyle, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Children’s Social Care said;

“I have spent a fantastic morning listening to foster carers and people who have been in care themselves and it’s so inspirational to hear their stories.

“Its such privilege to be a foster carer, you are doing something amazing for young people in care in Sefton please come and find out more.”

Anyone who is thinking about fostering can find out more by speaking to one of the team by calling the freephone number – 0800 923 2777

Or by visiting the dedicated website at https://seftonfostering.co.uk/ 

Sefton Council Housing Licensing Schemes consultation goes door to door

As part of Sefton Council’s consultation on its plans to extend its housing licensing schemes, teams from research company independent market research company M.E.L. Research, will be calling at properties in the Bootle area from tomorrow (Wednesday 25th May).

Face-to-face surveys

Earlier this month, the Council launched a 12-week consultation on extending its Selective and Additional (HMO) Licensing schemes for private rented homes and multi-occupancy properties, online. Keen to ensure it gets as wide a range of views as possible, the Council has commissioned M.E.L. Research to carry out the face-to-face surveys too.

Researchers from M.E.L. calling at properties in Sefton will be able to show residents an authorisation letter to prove they are working on behalf of the Council. Anyone concerned whether callers are genuine can also contact the Council’s Contact Centre on 0345 140 0845 to make sure.

Hazards

Since Licensing was introduced by Sefton Council in March 2018, serious health and safety hazards have been removed from over 300 licensed properties. These included fire safety, electrical hazards, damp & mould and excess cold.

Over 80 Landlords have received Civil Penalty Fines for failing to licence their properties and while 60% of the properties inspected under Licensing did not initially meet the required housing standards, 98% of these were subsequently improved.

With the current Licensing schemes due to end on 28th February 2023, Sefton Council is now carrying out a 12-week consultation on its proposal to extend them until February 2028.

People can find out more and take part online here.

When the consultation was launched Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said: “Introducing the current licencing schemes has enabled Sefton Council to work with private landlords in the areas covered to improve their standards of management.

“This, in turn, has resulted in improved living conditions for their tenants as well as improvements for the wider areas, such as reduced anti-social behaviour.

“By extending the scheme for a further five years, we want to build on this success and bring about further benefits for landlords, tenants and those communities.”

After piloting the door-to-door surveys in the Bootle area, M.E.L. will then move on to other areas of Sefton.

Have your say on a proposed PSPO across coastal and visitor areas in Sefton

Sefton Council are asking people to have their say on a proposed Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) across coastal and visitor areas.

A Public Space Protection Order is an official measure that is an enforceable part of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

A public consultation, which will run for five weeks until Friday 24th June, has been launched today.

We are encouraging everyone to have their say on the proposed list of restrictions to be included in the PSPO, including the right to confiscate alcohol from those causing anti-social behaviour in certain locations.

The new order aims to support the Council and partner agencies manage visitor behaviour and protect our natural coastline and other popular visitor areas. Visitors can be tourists or local residents. The restrictions will be based on the existing Sefton Byelaws and in line with legislation associated with the protected status of the Sefton Coast.

Although most visitors know how to behave, sadly there are some who can act in an inappropriate manner that cause distress and disturbance to local residents and businesses, as well as causing damage to infrastructure in the area.

Cllr Ian Moncur, Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing said: “While the majority of people do respect Sefton’s natural coast, we are keen to explore more ways to support Council officers and partner agencies manage those few who behave inconsiderately and who could cause damage to our unique Natural Coast.

“We want everyone coming to our beautiful coastline to enjoy their visit but also to do their bit to protect the environmentally sensitive site for other people, for local residents and for generations to come.

“I encourage all residents and visitors alike to share their thoughts and take part in the consultation.”

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Cabinet Member Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services, said: “The use of Public Spaces Protection Orders are favoured by many local authorities as there is the opportunity to issue fixed penalty notices at the time of the offence being committed, allowing Officers more powers in managing visitor behaviour.

“Please take the time to read the proposed order and tell us what you think about it.”

The survey is available online on the Council’s consultation portal, Your Sefton Your Say.

Hard copy versions of the questionnaire are also available and are in Easy Read format. To request a hard copy or for further support with the consultation, people can call 0151 934 2962 or email greensefton@sefton.gov.uk

Further detail about the public consultation and proposed PSPO is available on the Council’s website, sefton.gov.uk/pspo

Stunning images of Marine Lake Events centre revealed as consultation launches

Sefton Council is set to launch its public consultation on much anticipated plans for the Southport Marine Lake Events Centre and accompanying Water and Light Show.

The community will shortly be invited to share their views on exciting plans for a new, state-of-the-art theatre and entertainment space and a flexible conference and business events venue and water and light show attraction, which will greatly boost the town’s economic and tourism sectors.

Consultation events are being held at Southport Market in the coming weeks and a live webinar will take place to provide more information on the plans, which will be revealed when the consultation begins on Thursday 26th May when feedback will be invited via an online survey at https://yourseftonyoursay.sefton.gov.uk/futuresouthport/ – with the consultation running until 10th June.

The MLEC will replace the former Southport Theatre and Convention Centre which closed its doors in 2020. The new development will provide first class theatre space, a conference and exhibition centre able to accommodate a range of events, and café and signature restaurant, providing facilities for both visitors and the community alike.

The plans also include a new Water and Light show installation on the Marine Lake. Designed to set Southport apart from other seaside towns, the show will attract thousands of additional visitors to the town each year.

The project forms part of the Southport Town Deal which secured ÂŁ37.5 million funding in 2021 and follows the success of Southport Market, which opened its doors last year. The project has also secured ÂŁ2.3 million funding from Liverpool City Region Combined Authority.

Consultation events are being held at Southport Market on Friday 27th May between 11am and 6pm, and Saturday 28th May between 11am and 3pm.

A live webinar will also be held at 6pm on Thursday 26th May. You can register to attend the webinar in advance at https://yourseftonyoursay.sefton.gov.uk/futuresouthport/ The consultation webpage will be updated on the 26th May with further details of the plans and an online feedback form.

Cllr Ian Maher , leader of Sefton Council, said: “The Marine Lake Events Centre is the latest fantastic opportunity for us to build on our successful bid for Town Deal funding.

“This project directly compliments the ongoing and continued investment Sefton Council makes toward improving the future of the town for our amazing communities and visitors.

“I would encourage everyone to join in with the upcoming consultation events, either online or in person, to find out more.

“We are looking forward to hearing feedback before a planning application is submitted.”

Steve Rotheram, Mayor of the Liverpool City Region, said: “Southport holds a special place in the hearts of so many people in our city region and beyond as being a family-favourite destination for days out and holidays alike. The town has been entertaining generations of visitors for as long as it has existed.

“We want to build on that legacy and make sure that Southport can continue to thrive and attract visitors for many more years to come, giving a massive boost to local businesses and creating good quality, secure jobs. We are working with Sefton Council to drive the town’s revival and start a new chapter in its story. I for one cannot wait to see what the future has in store.”

A public telephone line has also been set up via 0808 168 8296. This is a freephone consultation hotline where people can call to speak to a member of the project team and ask any questions, as well as share any feedback.

An update on allegations of rat poison present at Beach Lawn Park, Waterloo

A spokesperson for Sefton Council said: “We are aware of allegations of rat poison being present by a bin in Beach Lawn Park in Waterloo and want to reassure residents that these allegations are incorrect.

“What appears to be photographed is likely to be remnants of bird feed which could be suet based product. These products were probably dropped around the bin by someone who was feeding birds.

“Sefton Pest Control and Green Sefton have been working in partnership within this area to reduce to rodent population by installing waste bins with a feeding station beneath. This bin in particular has not had bait placed in it.

“We have spoken with the resident and cleared up the misunderstanding.

“We understand how stressful it can be if something is consumed is believed to be dangerous and we urge people to get in touch directly with the Council if they are unsure.

“This will help prevent false information being spread and the inevitable concern that can cause as well as enabling us to clear up any unwanted substances as was the case with this bird food. Please get in touch via the contact centre by calling 0345 140 0845.

“We are glad to be able to put these false allegations to rest but would also like to remind people that threats to Council employees are unacceptable.”

Photograph from the resident
Bird feed hanging in a garden
Bird feed hanger

 

Search Box