Please follow & like us

Sefton Council apprentice ‘Lottie’ awarded Highly Commended in prestigious North West Apprenticeship Awards 2020

Sefton Council is delighted that Digital Marketing Apprentice Charlotte Callister, who works in its Communications Team has been Highly Commended for the BT Award for Advanced Apprentice of the Year at the North West National Apprenticeship Awards 2020.

Back for the 17th Year the awards, which were held virtually on Tuesday 3nd November, are a fantastic opportunity to highlight business and individual success in apprenticeships.

Over 1,100 entries, from apprentice employers, apprentices and apprenticeship champions from all industries, were received nationally, from the public, construction, health, IT, science and digital sectors.

Digital Marketing Apprentice Charlotte, or ‘Lottie’, who is from Litherland, is a valued member of the Communications Team helping to manage the Council’s corporate social media accounts during what has been a challenging time during the pandemic.

After receiving the news Charlotte said; “I am delighted to have been highly commended for this award. I have overcome many personal barriers to not only undertake but excel in my apprenticeship, with the main obstacle being my own Epilepsy. To receive recognition of my hard work so far, at such prestigious awards, is truly humbling. My apprenticeship with Sefton Council, has not only given me confidence, but I have also found my professional passion. I will continue to be an advocate for our community and want apprentices and employers alike, to know that there are no limits on what can be achieved with an apprenticeship.”

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Cabinet Member for Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services said; “Congratulations to Charlotte in receiving her Highly Commended Award. The awards are particularly poignant, given the challenges many employers and apprentices have faced during the pandemic.  It is very well deserved, and we thank Charlotte for all her hard work.

 “We are committed to our apprenticeship programme which helps individuals to develop the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in their chosen profession. Apprenticeships can be so important in giving valuable on-the-job experience, which prepares people for the working environment.”

If you would like to know more about Sefton Council’s Apprenticeship Programme, please email; Apprenticeships@sefton.gov.uk

 

Sefton Council urges residents to stay safe this October/ November

This Halloween and Bonfire Night authorities across the Liverpool City Region are urging residents not to gather or arrange events.

With the Liverpool City Region under Tier 3 restrictions, the risk of transmitting coronavirus is significantly higher than in other areas so mixing with other households should be avoided.

Major outdoor events scheduled to take place this over the Halloween and Bonfire Night period have been cancelled to help reduce the spread of coronavirus and all requests to hold events such as firework displays, no matter how large or small, will be refused for public safety reasons.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said:

“We understand that this is a difficult period as this time of year families would usually be taking part in Halloween and Bonfire Night activities however, this year traditional ‘trick or treating’, parties and firework events are not permitted as this could increase the risk of spreading infection.

“Protecting our residents especially those who are vulnerable is our main priority and I know our communities will work together to help stop the spread of Coronavirus.”

Local authorities will continue to work with the Merseyside Police to help protect residents by ensuring that the restrictions are followed.

Chief Inspector Peter Clark, who is heading this year’s operation for Merseyside Police said:

“As you know there are a number of rules and restrictions in place in relation to Covid-19 – that means that the planned displays and events we normally attend, will not be happening this year. We know that this is another sacrifice we are having to make, however now is a time to pull together, follow the guidance and help to stop the spread.

“We are keen to get the balance right between protecting people from the spread of the coronavirus and ensuring that they can still enjoy this period. We will maintain a common sense approach during the Halloween and Bonfire night period – and are working to encourage people to respect the restrictions and explain why they are so important. Where people are flouting restrictions, we will however take action.

He continued: “Our message regarding anti-social behaviour during this period remains simple – it will not be tolerated and anyone caught committing this type of offence will be dealt with firmly and robustly. No one should have to suffer being the victim of anti-social behaviour and I would like to reassure everyone that there will be extra high-visibility patrols during this time.”

Local authorities are encouraging members of the public to find alternatives to trick or treating and gathering at bonfire or firework displays this year.

As in previous years, council officers will be working with both the Police and Fire services to reduce anti-social behaviour and protect the vulnerable, as well as removing fly-tipped waste and illegal bonfires.

Joe Cunliffe, Station Manager at Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service, said: “We know things won’t be the same this year and Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service still wants people to enjoy this period, but now is the time to pull together, follow the guidance and help stop the spread – it’s more important than ever that we all work together to protect our communities and the most vulnerable among them.

“Deliberately started fires in the run up to bonfire night put a huge drain on already overstretched Fire Service resources. You can help to reduce the number of incidents this bonfire period by never giving combustible materials to anyone, especially young people, and making sure your wheelie bin is out of sight – only put it out on collection day and bring it back in in as soon as possible.”

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service is encouraging members of the public not to have bonfires on public land this year in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Station Manager Cunliffe added: “Community bonfires must not take place on public land, as this will encourage people to gather in breach of current restrictions. Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service will respond to reports of fires and will extinguish them throughout the bonfire period. We would urge people to report any combustible material that could be used for deliberate fires via our website www.merseyfire.gov.uk, by calling 0800 731 5958 or via our social media pages.

“If you decide to have fireworks at home, only buy them from reputable retailers registered with MFRS. Please observe the restrictions and always follow the firework code.”

For further information on how to stay safe this Halloween and Bonfire Night follow the Police and Fire service social media channels who will be sharing tips and information over the next few weeks. In an emergency always call 999 and ask for the service you require.

The Environment Agency is advising people to:

  • Think twice about having a bonfire this year.
  • Only burn small amounts of dry paper, leaves, clean wood and cardboard if you do decide to have a bonfire. Make sure materials are stored securely before being burned and always check the bonfire for wildlife before setting it alight.
  • Avoid burning waste such as treated wood, tyres, plastic, rubber and oil as these can seriously harm health and pollute the environment. It is illegal to burn most types of waste.
  • Make sure you know where the materials for your bonfire have come from. If you suspect illegal activity report it anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
  • Read Environment Agency advice at https://www.gov.uk/garden-bonfires-rules to make sure you’re disposing of waste on your bonfire safely and legally.

Sefton Council joins forces with partners to tackle Hate Crime

National Hate Crime Awareness Week takes place from 10th – 17th October 2020. The aim of the week is to raise awareness of what hate crime is and how it affects people, encourage people to report hate crime, and let people know what is happening in the local area to tackle hate crime.

Raising awareness and encouraging the reporting of hate crimes and incidents is a priority for the Council and partners throughout the year, but we can also take the opportunity to join with national groups across the country to highlight issues during campaign weeks.

What is Hate Crime?

A hate crime is defined as ‘Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person’s race or perceived race; religion or perceived religion; sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation; disability or perceived disability and any crime motivated by hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender.’

A hate incident is any incident which the victim, or anyone else, thinks is based on someone’s prejudice towards them because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or because they are transgender.

Not all hate incidents will amount to criminal offences, but it is equally important that these are reported and recorded by the police

Cllr Ian Maher Leader of Sefton Council said:

“Sefton Council take all incidents of Hate Crime very seriously and we are working hard with our partner agencies to tackle this problem.

 “I would encourage people to tell and partner agencies such as the Police, support charities such as Stop Hate UK and housing providers who can help take action and support victims and witnesses.

“You don’t have to be the victim to be able to report a hate crime or hate incident, anyone can make a report a crime. Please help us make Sefton a safer place for everyone.”

Click here for more information about hate crime from the Sefton Council website.

Click here for more information from Merseyside Police, including an online reporting.

Click here for more information about National Hate Crime Awareness Week.

Click here for more information about the Stop Hate UK national hate crime helpline.

Launch of 30 Days of Sefton in Mind

sefton in mindOn World Suicide Prevention Day Sefton Council is launching this year’s 30 Days of Sefton in Mind campaign.

Now in its fourth year, 30 Days of Sefton in Mind happens during the 30 days that fall between World Suicide Prevention Day and World Mental Health Day (10 October).

During this time, we will be promoting positive mental health across the borough and highlighting the many services available on our My Sefton website and across social media using the hashtag #SeftonInMind.

With the added impact of COVID19, our campaign this year asks, ‘Are you okay?’, with the hope that this question starts a conversation about stress or anxiety linked to various issues.  For example, residents might be worried about loneliness, financial difficulties, employment, social isolation or a lack of support. The campaign will provide information about local solutions to problems, such as financial support, friendship groups, or ideas for physical activities which can reduce feelings of isolation.

The campaign is led by Sefton Council and supported by Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust, North West Boroughs Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, NHS South Sefton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), NHS Southport and Formby CCG and Sefton Council for Voluntary Service.

Cllr Paul Cummins, Mental Health Champion for Sefton Council said:

“With the unprecedented impact of COVID19 we need to promote positive mental health in Sefton now more than ever.”

“As we adapt to a world altered by the pandemic, levels of isolation, distress and anxiety increase. It is vital that we continue work together with our partners to provide services for people struggling with mental health and make sure that people know there is lots of support for them.”

Merseyside Police re-visit Skin Kerr Aesthetics

Officers from Sefton Council’s Environmental Health team and Merseyside Police, revisited Skin Kerr Aesthetics, Hair and Beauty, in Bootle today after the poster saying the businesses would not be following COVID-19 requirements was put back on display.

The poster had been removed on Tuesday 8th September, and after a meeting with the owner yesterday Sefton Council understood this was a permanent move. During the meeting, Environmental Health officers were also satisfied that all the measures currently required for the safe operation of the premises were in place.

However, after reports that the poster was back on display this morning (Thursday 10th September), they returned. The posters in question have been seized and discussions will now take place with Sefton’s Director of Public Health to instigate closure proceedings on the premises.

Cllr Paulette Lappin Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services said: “It is so disappointing that at a time when we are all focused on trying to limit the spread of coronavirus in the face of rising figures across the region, the owner of this business is taking this irresponsible action that could put their customers, their colleagues and the wider community at risk.

“We are all working hard to prevent more stringent restrictions that would have a negative effect on all local businesses and Seton’s local economy but selfish actions like this could contribute to jeopardising those efforts.”

Environmental Health officers were first made aware on Monday that Skin Kerr Aesthetics, Hair and Beauty was displaying the poster. It states that masks are not being worn at the salon despite rules requiring staff to wear surgical face masks and visors to limit the spread of the disease. The poster also denies the existence of COVID-19, which has been the cause of death for over 1,000 people in Merseyside hospitals, and bans mention of the pandemic.

Sefton Council and Merseyside Police have visited the salon more than once and it was understood the problem had been resolved.

Sefton Council is reminding local businesses and their customers of the importance of following the Government’s COVID-19 guidance, which includes the distancing, cleaning and face-covering measures required to help keep clients and staff safe.

For customers, this means following any of the measures in place for their protection and making sure they provide any Test and Trace information requested on arrival.

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said recently: “As well as protecting individual businesses and their customers, these measures are there to support the whole economy by helping to reduce the possibility of a wider COVID-19 outbreak and the potential need to introduce local restrictions, which would have a negative effect on everyone.”

The Government’s guidance for working safely, including at close contact businesses including barbers, beauticians, hairdressers and tattooists.

Search Box