Please follow & like us

Next of Kin appeal launched for Lydiate man

Liverpool Coroner’s Office is appealing for the public’s help in tracing the next of kin of a man who recently passed away in Lydiate.

John Michael Gregson, aged 81, died on Monday, 18 September at his home address in Southport Road.

There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding Mr Gregson’s death.

Any family members or people with information are asked to contact Coroners Officer Oliver Knaggs on 0151 777 3422 or email
Sefton.Coroners.Office@merseyside.pnn.police.uk.

Bootle Town Hall Heritage Complex Centre

Sefton Council is exploring opportunities to create a cultural and heritage facility within Bootle Town Hall complex of Grade II listed buildings.

 In October 2016, Sefton Council published the Bootle Town Centre Investment Framework – a high level strategic document which looked to harness Bootle’s current assets and help reshape the town into a desirable residential, educational and business location.

 Feedback gained from the Investment Framework highlighted Bootle Town Hall as a great regeneration opportunity with the desire for increased cultural activity a key theme.

 Now a consultation and engagement exercise is set to start, looking at the potential to create a new cultural and heritage facility in the former Bootle Free Library and Museum within the town hall complex. Other civic functions within the town hall would still be maintained. 

 The consultation will run from October-December and a pop-up heritage centre looking potential options will also be in the Strand Shopping Centre during the school October half-term.

 Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “By transforming this historic building into a new home of arts and culture in the town, we believe this would be a major statement of the Council’s ambition for Bootle.

 “Potentially this refreshed physical space will be supported by a learning and skills infrastructure, reaching out to the local community and developing materials that can be used in local schools, adult education centres and beyond.

 “We believe this project will help ensure the town hall remains the civic focus of Bootle and also deliver a new cultural offer that will be sustainable and manageable over the long term.

 “At the moment we are only exploring opportunities and want to gauge what local people think about this. Please take the time to look at the consultation and get involved and help shape the future of this wonderful grade II listed building.”

The consultation will go live later this month via sefton.gov.uk 

Behaviour orders issued after Rimrose Valley fires

Merseyside Police officers have been working in conjunction with Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) in investigating a series of suspected arson incidents in the Rimrose Valley area of Crosby area earlier this month.

Following enquiries, a group of teenagers aged between 13 and 15 have been identified and issued with Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs).

This means that officers have spoken to appropriate adults and agreed a course of action with the teenagers.

Officers from the local Community Policing team will continue to monitor the area and will also robustly deal with any breaches of these ABCs.

Station Manager Paul Kay, Arson Reduction Co-ordinator for Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service, said:

“Arson is a serious criminal offence which puts people’s lives at risk, causes damage to homes, businesses and community facilities and impacts on wildlife and the environment. It can range from mindless criminal damage to a deliberately-targeted attack but, either way, the potentially deadly consequences remain the same.

“If fire appliances are called out to deliberate fires this may delay the response to other emergencies, which could endanger lives elsewhere. We want to make people aware that deliberately setting fires in a public place is arson and, if caught, those responsible may face legal action.

Local Policing Superintendent Matt Boyle said:

“This issue was understandably causing worry and distress to the people of Crosby and following some great partnership work involving Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) and ourselves, action has been taken, with the full support of the families of those involved. I would like to emphasise how seriously we treat suspected arson and all anti-social behaviour, and any information will be acted upon, so contact us early on and we can deal quickly and effectively with any problems.

“ABCs are an early intervention which we will look to pursue against individuals who are perceived to be engaging in anti-social behaviour. It allows people to cease and change certain activities they are involved in. Breaches of the order will lead to warnings and if necessary further, more serious action.”

Anyone with information on anti-social behaviour is asked to contact 101.

Sefton groups benefit from Bonfire Night safety fund

More than 11,300 young people will benefit from projects which will keep them away from dangerous activities this Halloween and Bonfire Night, thanks to funding raised by the police from the sale of stolen goods.

Four projects to benefit are in Sefton, who will take a slice of ÂŁ45,000 worth of funding designed to divert young people away from getting involved in anti-social or criminal behaviour during the autumn half term.

 

Jane Kennedy has awarded the grants from her Police Property Act (PPA) Fund, which puts money raised through the sale of unclaimed stolen goods or property recovered by the police that cannot be returned to its owners into worthwhile causes.

This is the fourth year the Commissioner has focussed the funding on keeping communities safe during one of the busiest times of the year for the police. The successful organisations from this round of funding will run a host of projects during the school half-term holidays with the aim of keeping a total of 11,331 young people engaged in safe and supervised activities.

Jane said:

“Halloween and Bonfire Night are a time of great fun and enjoyment for many people across Merseyside.

“Sadly, though it is also a time when sometimes the fun can get out of hand and lead to young people getting involved in behaviour which can become intimidating, anti-social or even dangerous to other members of the community.

“Traditionally, this means it is often a very busy period for both Merseyside Police and Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service.

“By funding these youth projects across Merseyside, my aim is to help thousands of young people enjoy the festivities in a safe and enjoyable way at organised and well managed events. This will help to ensure they don’t get involved in any activities that could either put them in danger or that they may regret in the future.

“This will also help to relieve the strain on our emergency services during this critical period, complementing the excellent diversionary work the police and fire service already carry out and making sure people can enjoy the celebrations during the holiday season.

“For this year’s successful organisations, even a small cash boost can make a huge difference and will enable them to run some fantastic grassroots projects which really engage with young people’s imaginations while keeping them safe.”

14 organisations in Liverpool and five initiatives on the Wirral have been awarded funding, with four initiatives in Sefton, two in Knowsley and one in St Helens all benefitting. Much of the funding was focused in ‘hotspot’ areas where communities have been identified as most susceptible to threat and risk.

 

#SeftonInMind: Support our Suicide Prevention campaign

On and around World Suicide Prevention Day (Sunday September 10) we are running a Thunderclap campaign that will help us raise awareness of suicide prevention and encourage our communities to reach out to people who may be struggling.

Click here to support it.

What is Thunderclap?

Thunderclap is a platform that allows many people and organisations to pledge a tweet or Facebook post to go live at the same time on the same day in order to achieve maximum effect and coverage. Think of it like an online Flashmob!.

You can choose to either ‘Support with Twitter’ or ‘Support with Facebook’- or both! T

hen you simply add your name to the Thunderclap and on 10th September at 12noon everyone who has signed up will see an auto post on Facebook and Twitter of the following message:

Take a minute: Check in with someone who may be struggling #takeaminutechangealife #nomoresuicide #WSPD

As well as supporting the Thunderclap yourself we ask that you share details of our Thunderclap campaign to your followers, colleagues, friends and family.

The wider the message goes the more impact we make. 

Supporting the Thunderclap is quick, simple and secure.

With your help we can work towards achieving zero suicide.

Sefton Council and its partners are supporting the ‘30 Days of #SeftonInMind’ Campaign – to spread the word about local services and activities available to people in Sefton to improve their mental health.  

Search Box