Please follow & like us

RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
YouTube
Instagram

Man arrested after firearms discharge in Bootle

A man has been arrested following a firearms discharge in Bootle last night (Saturday 21 September 2019).

Shortly after 9.10pm, officers were called to Markfield Road to reports that damage consistent with a firearms discharge had been caused to the window of a house. Officers attended and later found the exterior wall of another house had also been damaged.

House to house, forensic and CCTV enquiries are continuing and community policing officers have been in the area to speak to local residents and offer reassurance.

An investigation was launched to establish the exact circumstances and a 23-year-old man from Knowsley Village has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and possession of a Class B drug (cannabis) with intent to supply.

Detective Inspector Andy McCourt said: “We want to trace a male on a bicycle who we believe was the intended target of this shooting.

“He is described as white, aged between 14-17, with long dark hair and what is described as a chubby face.

“It is believed this male sustained injuries, possibly as a result of falling off his bike in Malvern Road.

“We would ask that this person comes forward and speaks to us. I would also ask parents, who may have a child matching the description who returned home with injuries on Saturday night, to contact the police.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact @MerPolCC on Twitter, call 101 with crime reference 19100545698, or you can contact @CrimestoppersUK anonymously on 0800 555 111.

A community festival in Sefton to show residents are standing together against crime

Sefton Council and residents from Thornton and Netherton are bringing communities together at a special music festival to show how they want to make positive changes in their area and stand together in the fight against crime.

In light of recent incidents in the area, Thornton Family Wellbeing Centre wanted to show all the positive activities happening locally and has joined forces with the community, volunteers and partner agencies to start up the Sefton Families Fighting Against Crime group.

As music is a great way to bring communities together, the group decided to organise their very first festival on August 30.

During the event, which takes place from 1 to 5pm at the centre on Stannyfield Drive, there will be stalls, entertainment and a music stage that will host local talent and performers.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said: “This event is a great way to bring residents together and to reaffirm that strong sense of community which runs throughout the borough.

“We know the majority of residents living in Sefton are proud of where they live and won’t stand for serious crime on their doorstep.

“The Council is committed to ensuring residents feel safe and I believe that uniting together will help us build a positive future for our thriving communities.”

Jess Hankin, 27, who lives in Thornton with her two children, said “Crime is impacting on our community but I do think our young people are negatively stereotyped because of a small number of gangs. This event is so important because it will bring our community together and make positive things happen. We need more events like this that bring us together.”

Mother-of-four Tracy Howard, 50, added: “People need to feel safe and we have lots of vulnerable people who live in our communities. The event will raise awareness of the impact crime is having on us and that as a community we will not take this and we will do something about it.”

For additional information or if you would like to get involved email event organisers  Leeann.doolin@sefton.gov.uk, Michelle.joyce-gillespie@sefton.gov.uk or Angela.Robinson@sefton.gov.uk. Alternatively call Thornton Family Wellbeing Centre on 0151 934 4991

Merseyside Police join forces with partners for Knife Crime Question Time Panel

Merseyside Police Chief Constable Andy Cooke joined Sue Gregory from Everton in the Community, Chief Fire Officer Phil Garrigan from Mersey Fire and Rescue Service, headteacher Tony Costello the parents of Sam Cook at Salvo Salesian College in Bootle today for a Knife Crime Question Time to discuss the impact on knife crime and what can be done to combat it.

 Schools from all over Merseyside took part including Savio Salesian, Calderstones, Litherland High, Maricourt, Hillside, Penkford as well as Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service’s Prince Trust programmes. The event was organised by Merseyside Police in conjunction with Everton in the Community and hosted by Radio City presenter Pete Price.

 The event came a week after Merseyside Police launched £4.2m Operation Target which aims to combat serious and violent crime, including knife crime.

 The panel answered questions from the audience during a 90 minute session which aimed to understand the causes of knife crime, who is affected by knife crime, what the professionals are doing to target it and what young people can do as part of the solution.

 Questions included “How can young people protect ourselves and feel safe in the city?”, “Do you think the current punishments for having/using knives are harsh enough?” and “What do you think is the most influential factor in kids carrying weapons?”

 Speaking after the event, Chief Constable Cooke said it was important to hear the opinion of young people about what can be done to combat knife crime.

He said: “Sadly we have seen far too many knife crime incidents across the country and over Merseyside in the last couple of years. We need to keep giving out the message about how it wrecks lives. Today we were fortunate enough to hear from Gill and Alan (the parents of Sam Cook). Sadly their son was murdered by a man with a knife 18 months ago. If more people could hear that message it would stop people from carrying knives. The absolute devastation it has caused to their family and all families, that is the message we need to get across. Not only is it the wrong thing to do but the devastating impact on families is incredible.”

 He added: “Importantly [today] we have been getting the views of young people about what we should be doing to tackle knife crime and that is essential because this is not an issue that policing will solve or even police and partners together will solve. The communities will solve this alongside us and young people in communities are crucial to doing that.”

 #StopKnifeCrime #OpTarget

Police reveal £4.2m plan to target serious violence and put criminals behind bars

A major policing operation which aims to tackle serious and violent crime and put the people responsible for committing it behind bars will be launched across Merseyside today, Monday 1st July.

In May it was announced that Merseyside Police would receive £4.2m from the Home Office’s £100m Serious Violence Fund to tackle issues including knife and gun crime.

The money is being used to fund Operation Target – a forcewide operation which will bring in extra dedicated staff, additional resources and equipment and targeted intelligence in a bid to tackle serious violence head-on.

As well as gun and knife crime the operation will also focus on serious assaults, armed robberies and murder investigations and will look at wider issues such as violence in night time economy areas, County Lines and drugs use.

The new operation will see more high visibility police officers on the streets and the purchase of additional equipment such as hand held metal detectors and metal detecting gloves for frontline officers.

There will be increased disruption activity including stop searches; roadside checks; open land searches and test purchasing.

Work will also be done to develop further intelligence around types of crimes and key areas and tactics in order to directly target those involved in serious violence and we will be working in close partnership with local authorities, the Youth Offending Service and health and social care professionals to share information and good practice.

Early intervention work will also continue in schools and youth groups and communities.

Chief Superintendent Matt Boyle said: “We know what concerns the people of Merseyside and although resources have been put into tackling these issues in the past this additional funding from the Home Office means our response will now be even bigger and better.

“We know issues such as knife and gun crime really impact on our communities and we are committed to tackling these issues head on and really making a difference.

“We now have the funding to put more officers in the places that we need them most – either high visibility patrols in our communities or in our city and town centres at night and peak times.

“It also means that we can develop our intelligence around offenders, pay for additional equipment to assist operations and investigations, engage with our local schools and communities and work with our partners to adopt a co-ordinated approach to tackling serious violence.

“This will be a one team approach with officers and staff from across the Force including roads policing, armed response, investigations, dogs and mounted and neighbourhood officers as well as call handlers, intelligence staff, forensics officers and support staff involved in making Operation Target a success.

“Some of this work will take place behind the scenes but I hope that the public will recognise our continued commitment to making Merseyside an even safer place to live, work and visit.
“I also hope that it will give confidence to people and reassure them that we will continue to take positive action to protect all victims of serious crime and bring criminals to justice.”

Merseyside’s Police Commissioner Jane Kennedy said: “Tackling serious and organised crime has always been a priority, but by securing this additional ‘surge’ funding from the Home Office, Merseyside Police can now allocate more resources to tackling the issues that matter most to our communities and carry the greatest risk to people living in Merseyside.

“This money will be concentrated on preventing crime, particularly that which has the capacity to cause most harm. It will also enable the Force to invest more in the really important proactive and prevention work used to put the criminals on the back foot that has suffered from years of budget cuts.

“I hope this increase in high visibility police patrols and operations focussing on reducing and reacting to street violence will provide reassurance to the public, prevent more young people from becoming involved in a life of crime and make a genuine difference in the lives of people in some of our most troubled areas, making Merseyside a safer place for everyone.”

Next of kin appeal: Kenneth Statham

Sefton Coroner’s Office is continuing appealing for information to find the next of kin for a Southport man who was found deceased earlier this month.

67-year-old Kenneth Statham was found on Tuesday 11 June at his home address in Stamford Road. His death is not being treated as suspicious.

Extensive enquiries are ongoing and further information now suggests that Mr Statham may have a daughter and used to reside in the Waterloo area. Statham may have family in Ireland, although it is unknown exactly where at this stage.

Anyone who may be able to assist information is asked to contact Coroners Investigation Officer Clair Sajewicz on 0151 777 3754 or via email at Sefton.coroners.office@merseyside.pnn.police.uk

Search Box