Please follow & like us

Panel endorses police precept proposal

A proposal to increase the precept payable for policing in Merseyside was “reluctantly” endorsed by the Merseyside Police and Crime Panel at their meeting on Tuesday 6 February.

The panel, which is made up of councillors from all Merseyside local authorities, has a statutory obligation to review the Commissioner’s Police Precept Proposal each year.

Having considered the evidence presented by the Commissioner, the Deputy Chief Constable and their support staff, the panel reluctantly agreed unanimously to endorse the Commissioner’s proposal for a 7.23% increase in the precept. However, in doing so, the panel asked that a number of recommendations/ comments be placed on record and brought to the Commissioner’s attention.

Cllr Carla Thomas, Chairperson of the Merseyside Police and Crime Panel, said:

“We endorsed this rise extremely reluctantly, because we recognise that the only alternative would be for resources within Merseyside Police to be reduced even further . This would have an extremely detrimental impact on the level of service being provided to the community.

“The panel very much felt that the Commissioner was left with no alternative but to request this increase, due to the woeful shortfalls in Government funding for the police.

“However we were also in unanimous agreement that, whilst this rise does represent the only option currently available to prevent further reduction in officer numbers, it highlights how inequitable the current system is. By relying on council tax precepts to plug gaps in funding for policing, those who struggle already with their monthly outgoings – of which their Council Tax bill is a significant part – are hit the hardest.

 â€œIn reluctantly endorsing this increase we’d also urge the Government to urgently reconsider their approach to police funding and how shortfalls are impacting on both service provision and on the wallets of those least able to afford to pay.”

 You can read the Police and Crime Panel’s formal response here.

Sefton fund knife wands to make nightlife safer

Knife wands are the latest piece of equipment being funded by Sefton Safer Communities Partnership to ensure the local night time-economy in the borough is as safe as it can be.

Thanks to the funding, Merseyside Police Community Officers and Targeted Police Teams, as well as local bars and clubs in the Sefton area, will be supplied with knife wands to help them identify people carrying dangerous weapons and keep club-goers from harm.

The wands will go towards enhancing safety in the area and cracking down on the number of serious and fatal stabbings that happen on our streets.

Councillor Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said:

“I’m delighted that through the Sefton Safer Communities Partnership we have acquired these extra security measures.

“The purchase of knife wands will help reassure our residents and visitors that Sefton is not only an enjoyable place to experience our vibrant night time economy, but also a safe one too.

“Many of our wonderful bars and nightclubs already have very good security in place but these wands will be of great benefit as both a deterrent and a symbol of reassurance.

“These wands and the wider Op Sceptre national campaign will compliment tactics already in place including weapon sweeps, knife arches, test purchasing and high visibility police patrols.”

Superintendent Matt Boyle said:

“These wands will act as a deterrent to those carrying weapons and a reassurance to the community that we’re doing everything we can to prevent knife related crime in the area.

“Liverpool City Council have already funded a roll out of the wands towards the end of last year following the tragic death of Sam Cook. Reports show these tools have been received really well and are key in keeping our communities safe.”

Merseyside is one of a number of police forces across the UK taking part in a week-long operation (Op Sceptre) aiming to highlight the work regularly being done across the county, and nationally, to combat the issue of knife crime.

As a police force, we’ll continue educating the public on the dangers of carrying knives in the hope this ensures people can safely enjoy being out and about in the Sefton town centre and surrounding areas. I’m proud to be supporting Sefton Safer Communities Partnership as they roll out a further 45 wands and I hope this gets the message across that it isn’t acceptable to carry a knife.”

 

•Anyone that would like to report any forms of knife crime is asked to contact us via our social media desk @MerPolCC or call 101. You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Important investment works start at Netherton Activity Centre

Important investment works are set to start at Netherton Activity Centre to support the local community.

The improvement works have started at Netherton Activity Centre as part of Sefton Council’s commitment to invest in its local communities and support some of the most vulnerable residents in the borough.

The important building works will benefit children, families and regular visitors to the NAC and will make a positive difference to the Council’s new ‘Early Intervention and Prevention’ offer.

Works are expected to take approximately 20 weeks to complete and every effort is being taken to minimise disruption, with the building remaining open throughout.

Parents and carers who use the NAC have been sent letters in advance of the works starting to allow them to prepare for any disruption.

Councillor John Joseph Kelly, Cabinet Member for Children, Schools and Safeguarding, said:

“This work is an important step in making sure that our community base at Netherton Activity Centre is fit for purpose, financially sustainable and it will contribute directly to supporting some of the most vulnerable residents in Sefton.

“As people will appreciate, there will be some noise and unfamiliar workers on site, and we’re working closely with parents and carers to minimise any anxiety or distress for the children and young people who take part in the Aiming High activities or use Jakes Sensory World.

“We’d like to reassure people that works will be carried out as sensitively as possible, with users’ needs in mind, and all services will still be available.

“The end result will help us to deliver our ambitions set out in Vision 2030 – ensuring we’re investing to create a borough for everyone.”

Appeal launched to find missing Southport man

Merseyside Police are urgently appealing for information to help trace a missing 72-year-old man from Sefton.

 

James Hall, also known as Jimmy, from Bretton Fold, Southport was last seen in the early hours of this morning (Monday, 12th February) at around 2am.

 

Extensive enquiries and a search of the nearby area have taken place overnight, however officers have been unable to locate James.

 

He is described as white, around 5ft 8in tall, slim build with grey hair and a grey beard.

 

He is wearing a dark coloured bomber style jacket, blue jeans and black trainers. He is also believed to be walking his dog, a white Bichon Frise.

 

James, who is from the Southport area of Sefton, has links to Maghull and Ormskirk. He is also known to frequently visit the Scottfield (Oldham) area.

 

We are making extensive efforts to find James and return him home safely. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is urged to get in touch by calling 101.

 

 Alternatively information can be left with the independent charity Missing People by calling 116 000 or by emailing 116000@missingpeople.org.uk.

New mental health facility good for business

Businesses in Sefton are being invited to come along to discuss exciting new work opportunities with top buyers who are keen to use local traders for building a new mental health facility in Southport.

MerseyCare NHS and Farran Heron Joint Venture (FHJV) are working in collaboration with Invest Sefton  and Sefton at Work to host the Meet The Buyer event at Bootle Town Hall, February 22, 9.30am – 12nooon.

The new facility will open in 2018 and gives local businesses the potential to pitch for contracts covering a wide range of needs, including:

  • External works
  • Windows, doors and curtain walling
  • Building supplies
  • Building trade
  • Construction and finishing trades
  • Fixtures and fittings

Attendees will learn about joint working and supply chain opportunities, while also gaining useful insight into the timescale of the build. They will also benefit from learning how contractor FHJV chooses its suppliers and free support from Invest Sefton and Sefton at Work, who will provide assistance to those businesses selected for Meet They Buyer to register for the FHJV supplier portal, bidding for public sector contracts and recruitment support.

Meet The Buyer is a ticket only event. In order to secure a ticket for your business, contact Invest Sefton 0151 934 3452 or by email

Search Box