Please follow & like us

‘Mooving’ date brought forward for cows on the coast

Ainsdale Local Nature Reserve will once again play host to cattle this winter after Sefton Council came to the rescue of flood stricken bovines.

High levels of floodwater in Lancashire has pushed forward the ‘mooving’ date for the annual arrival of Redpoll cattle, which spend the winter months grazing and enhancing Sefton’s coastal ecological system.

Sefton’s Green Sefton team were expecting the arrival of the livestock later in the month, however the cattle will now take to the dunes from October 1 following heavy rainfall in the cattle’s summer surroundings.

cows grazing in Ainsdale

The borough’s coastline is one of the most important areas in Britain for nature conservation and enjoys the highest level of protection under UK law as a site of specific scientific interest for its flora and fauna.

The dunes are home to many specialised plants and animals such as Natterjack Toad, Sand Lizard, Great Crested Newt, and other protected species such as Petalwort.

However, this dune habitat is increasingly under threat from invasion by coarse grasses and non-native scrub species.

In order to combat this Sefton Council secured a special conservation grazing scheme which has seen cattle on the site for a number of years around wintertime.

The Redpoll is a relatively small native English breed. Having been originally bred in Suffolk and Norfolk, the breed was developed to produce good dairy produce while also being able to fatten well.

Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said “Conservation Grazing is a fantastic, cost effective and natural way to protect our natural dune systems and we look forward to seeing the cattle make a return this week.

“Visitors to the site may also have noticed that a number of small fenced ‘exclosures’ have been installed. These will help monitor any differences between grazed and un-grazed vegetation within the fenced grazing areas.”

For more information about Green Sefton’s coastal work visit www.sefton.gov.uk/beaches.

/Ends

British Musical Fireworks Championship goes off with a bang!

Crowds in their thousands visited Victoria Park, Southport at the weekend to watch an incredible fireworks spectacular.

Due to the changing wind conditions on Friday, September 27 the decision to cancel the displays for that evening was made by for the safety of all visitors.

Despite the weather conditions throughout the weekend the competitors worked tirelessly to fire Friday evenings displays across Saturday and Sunday, delighting visitors with an extra display each evening.

An incredible display by Distant Thunder Fireworks, who performed the 4th display on Saturday evening slot, was enough to wow the judges and seal first place.

Second place was awarded to ‘Pyro 2000’ who fired first on Sunday and third place was given to 1st Galaxy Fireworks who fired second on Sunday.

For the first time in the history of the event, the show closed with an incredible exhibition display by last year’s winners, Illusions Fireworks, who also included a moving tribute to late judge Wilf Scott.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “The British Musical Fireworks Championship was yet again a fantastic weekend for Southport and Sefton.

“The safety of our visitors is our priority and with the change in wind direction and speed, the conditions were no longer suitable to carry on with the competition on Friday evening”

“Despite that thousands of families enjoyed incredible displays in Victoria Park and Saturday was full to capacity, selling out completely, proving what a draw the Fireworks and Southport really are.

“I would like to congratulate everybody involved in putting on this year’s championship, which was a fitting and fantastic end to our 2019 Sefton events calendar along with big thanks to Sefton’s tourism team who work tirelessly on the event.

“As the season draws to close once again, it is also important that we acknowledge the huge economic impact these fantastic events have on our borough.”
“Planning is well underway for the 2020 Borough of Culture making the next 12 months very exciting for the borough”.

Maintenance works to continue on Marine Way Bridge following bad weather

Routine maintenance will continue to take place on Marine Way Bridge, Southport over the next two weeks due to bad weather delaying works.

The extensive works are scheduled to continue on the bridge, which is now fifteen years old, from Monday, September 30.

In order to carry out the works safely and to allow for access for large equipment, Marine Way Bridge will be closed to all traffic, including pedestrians during weekdays until Friday, October 18.

However to compensate for increased traffic on weekends, the bridge will be reopened temporarily for both weekends commencing October 5 and October 12.

Diversions will be in place throughout the closure to ensure disruption is kept to a minimum.

Cllr John Fairclough, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Locality Services, said: “While contractors worked tirelessly to carry out as much work as possible, we are powerless to stop nature from getting in the way!

“The Marine Way Bridge is a vital asset both to our highways network and is the gateway to some of the most beautiful coastline in the North West.

A diversion route will be in place to direct traffic across Marine Lake and advanced signs on Marine Drive at the North and South will allow motorists to choose their preferred route to the East or West of Marine Lake.

For more information about road closures across the borough please visit www.roadworks.org

Southport Waterfront to Host Snooker’s top stars at Players Championship

Southport will host a snooker world ranking event for the first time early next year when the Coral Players Championship comes to the town.

The event will run from February 24th to March 1st in 2020 at the Southport Waterfront. Tickets will be on sale soon.

The Coral Players Championship features the leading 16 players on snooker’s one-year ranking list. Ronnie O’Sullivan won the title last season, beating Neil Robertson in the final. The match had a memorable finish as O’Sullivan made the 1,000th century break of his career in the last frame.

Other top stars in the field last season, when the event was staged in Preston, included Judd Trump, John Higgins, Mark Selby, Mark Allen, Neil Robertson and Mark Williams.

The one-year ranking list started at the Riga Masters last July, and the cut-off point for the Coral Players Championship is the Shoot Out which finishes on February 23rd. The top 16 on the list at that point go through to Southport.

The 16 players will start in a seeded draw, with a knockout format. All matches will be best of 11 frames, until the final which is best of 19.

It’s the second of three events in the Coral Series, preceded by the 32-man Coral World Grand Prix in Cheltenham (February 3-9) and followed by the eight-man Coral Tour Championship in Llandudno (March 17-22). The player earning the most money across the series will receive the Coral Cup and a £100,000 bonus. All three events are televised live by ITV.

Total prize money in Southport will be ÂŁ385,000 with the winner to receive ÂŁ125,000.

A spokesman for World Snooker said: “We are very excited about bringing this prestigious tournament to Merseyside for the first time. We know there’s a lot of support for snooker in the area so we’re expecting big crowds, and once tickets are on sale fans must get them booked early as many of the sessions will sell out.

“The Southport Waterfront is a fantastic venue in a beautiful location on England’s North West coast. It’s will be a superb stage for snooker’s biggest names.

“The Coral Players Championship will bring together 16 of the best players on the planet. The great thing about the Coral Series is that all 128 tour players begin the season on zero as they start the race to qualify for the three lucrative events. So only those in form make it into the elite field.

“That race is well underway now and it will be fascinating to see whether all of the big names make it to Southport, or whether we get new faces and outsiders earning a place in the line-up.

“For fans in the area it’s fabulous news as it’s a chance to see live sport at its very best, and the value for money is exceptional.”

Emma Lloyd, Head of Creative for Waterfront Southport said:
“This is huge for the venue and the town. We are delighted to be working with the team at World Snooker to bring it to the Waterfront and we hope it’s the start of a great working relationship. The North West is known for its love of snooker and Southport is no different!”

Ticket details will be announced as soon as they are available

Sefton youth worker Sue Logie tells us how she’s helping to give a safe space to young people

Sue Logie and Sefton’s Chief Exec, Dwayne Johnson, attending Pride in Liverpool

This month as part of our Year of Friendship campaign, we’ve been focusing on children and young people and the projects designed to benefit them. We’re also highlighting some of the amazing youth workers who are always on hand to give one-to-one and group support.  

 We caught up with one of Sefton Council’s youth workers Sue Logie. She is the lead worker for New Beginnings, Sefton’s LGBTQ+ youth group which provides a safe space for young people to socialise and learn life skills.

 Sue put’s her heart and soul into working with young people especially those who are LGBTQ+. So much so that she has recently won an award for Best Campaigner at the prestigious LCR Pride Awards 2019.

 We caught up with Sue to ask her about her journey as a youth worker and why she continues to support young people. 

Sue: For me personally, New Beginnings is like my baby so to speak. When I was a young person struggling with my own identity I was unaware of any support for young people at that time, this was something I really struggled with. There was no support and there were no visible role models back then nor was LGBTQ+ in the media like it is today. So, when I first started working within the Youth Service back in 2014 being asked to work with the New Beginnings group was exciting and then when I was asked to lead on it, it was an honour. To see and be a part of the journeys the young people embark on with their identity and finding themselves is so rewarding, and seeing them grow as a young person and being comfortable and happy within themselves just takes your breath away at times. To be able to provide a safe space and for young people to get the support I lacked is amazing, we have evolved slightly and we have had parents/carers ask for our support also which is always a pleasure, sometimes for parents to have that space to talk is nice also. More recently we have had a number of schools ask for support also, so it’s nice to see our schools trying to support our young people more especially around LBGTQ+.

Q: What are some of the main highlights in your career working with young people?

Sue: Wow! This is a difficult one! There are lots of positive experiences and some almost life changing for the young people and for me. I think one that really sticks with me is a young person who I worked with who just didn’t really know where they fitted or who they were, we did some 1-1 sessions and the young person attending New Beginnings and over about 2 years I seen this young person just grow and we went from different sexualities to then actually the young person saying they thought it was their gender that was this issue – well not issue, but they felt they wanted to identify as the opposite gender – so we did some work around this and now that young person is attending the Gender Identity Clinic and is much happier within themselves. All I did was to be there to listen and allow the space for that young person to be them and spent a lot of time with his parents supporting them also.

Q: It’s great news that you’ve been nominated for Best Campaigner at the Prestigious LCR Pride Awards 2019. How does it feel to know you’re hard work has been recognised in this way?

Sue: Shocked and overwhelmed. There is a very good friend of mine in the same category, who has been working campaigning for the LGBTQ+ community a lot longer than me so to make the final 3 for me is an achievement itself especially being named with someone who has done so much for the community before me.

Q: Moving forward do you have any aspirations about how society on a whole can improve support for young people?

Sue: I would ideally like to see a shift in the way LGBTQ+ people are seen, there is still a lot of homophobia/transphobia/biphobia, but on top of this, I feel any sort of ‘phobia’ I would like to see minimalised or eradicated – but with this people are not born hateful they are taught it. So, stigmas/stereotypes etc I would love to see them broken. And I feel like also youth work being seen across the country and a valuable service to our young people. These young people are our future leaders, Armed/Public service representatives and more. The valuable work that we carry out with our young people can be life changing for some and can bring them away from paths they shouldn’t really go down.

 

Search Box