Please follow & like us

Public Health leaders urging public to stay at home, to fight COVID and reduce extreme pressure on hospitals

Sefton Council’s Director of Public Health Margaret Jones has joined her colleagues across the region to urge people to follow by the latest lockdown rules and stay at home.

The plea from Directors of Public Health, who are leading the local public health response to COVID, comes as COVID cases have alarmingly increased in communities putting NHS hospitals under extreme pressure.

Essential reasons

Under the rules, people are strongly requested to stay at home and only leave the house for essential reasons such as getting a COVID test, food shopping, work, education, exercise or helping someone vulnerable. A full list of what is permitted is available at www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Ian Ashworth, current Chair of the Cheshire & Merseyside Directors of Public Health Board said, “The next few weeks are going to be extremely difficult and it will be some time until we see the impact of the lockdown take effect. People need to stay at home as much as possible. Only shop when necessary. Exercise away from other people. If you cannot work from home and have a symptom free test centre in your area, get tested regularly so you can self-isolate before symptoms show. We are working hard with health and government partners to speed up and unblock barriers to the rollout of the vaccine for the most vulnerable groups but this will not happen overnight. We now have a number of licensed vaccines which will mean more vaccines becoming available locally. In the meantime, we need people to double their efforts to keep themselves and their loved ones safe.”

Vaccination

The COVID-19 vaccination programme has seen over a million vulnerable people and those that care for them vaccinated so far. Vaccines are the way out of this pandemic and an effective vaccine is the best way to protect people from COVID. Members of the public will be invited by the NHS when it’s their turn for a vaccination and it is important that everyone who is offered the vaccine takes it to protect themselves and others. Directors urge those waiting for their vaccine to be patient and not contact the NHS or their GP surgery as it will take time for the vaccine to be rolled out to all priority groups.

If residents follow the rules and stay at home, then lockdown restrictions will end sooner and people can look forward to better times ahead. Directors would like to thank everyone who has been doing their bit for so long, and understand they desperately wish to see an end to the restrictions, but it’s more important than ever that people now put in that extra effort to keep friends, family and communities safe.

Symptoms

If you develop symptoms of COVID (fever, new continuous cough or loss/change of taste or smell) you can obtain a test by visiting nhs.uk/coronavirus or calling 119. If your test is positive you must follow the guidance including self-isolating immediately. More information on self-isolating can be found at www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19

Anyone needing support during this difficult time should visit www.kindtoyourmind.org which has details of 24/7 crisis helplines and resources to help mental wellbeing.

Find out more information about COVID-19 in Sefton.

Council remind Marine FC fans not to head to the football ground this weekend

Sefton Council are reminding Marine FC fans not to head to the football ground this weekend

A spokesperson for Sefton Council said:

“There are many residents across the borough who are, understandably, extremely excited for Marine FC’s FA Cup Third Round game against Tottenham Hotspur this Sunday.  However, we must remind people about the current national lockdown restrictions to stay at home and we warn fans not gather around the Marine Travel Arena area immediately before, during or after the game.

“Residents are also reminded that they are forbidden from socialising indoors or in private gardens with anyone who is not in your household or support bubble.

“We have been working closely with Merseyside Police in the planning and preparation for the game and residents should know that there will be police offers patrolling the area.

“Anyone wishing to show their support for Marine FC can do so by taking part in their virtual match ticket raffle which will help to replace lost revenue. Tickets cost £10 and can be purchased at https://marinefc.ktckts.com”

A landmark moment as decision is made for Sefton Council to re-enter into social housing

Sefton Cabinet members have given the go ahead for the Council’s re-entry into the social housing market for the first time in nearly 15 years.

The Council’s first new rented housing since its stock transfer in 2006 will begin with nine apartments on the Sefton Grange development at Buckley Hill Lane. These homes will be acquired from Sandway Homes, the housing development company launched by the Council in January 2019.

Sandway Homes is also building 30 new homes at Hey Farm Gardens in Crossens and 47 more at Sandy Brook in Ainsdale. Due to be completed in 2021, these two schemes will add to the supply of housing in the north of the Borough.

Next steps are for the Council to register with the Regulator of Social Housing as a social housing provider. It will also need to become an ‘Investment Partner’ with Homes England, the public Government body that funds new, affordable housing in England.

This exciting new project will also see the formation of a delivery team and the development of a business plan.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Housing and Communities said: “This is an historic moment for Sefton, and I am extremely proud that after 15 years we will be able to provide our most vulnerable residents with a range of good quality, affordable housing.

“This is just the beginning, but this move shows how the Council is committed to supporting those residents to get the homes they need and deserve.”

Leader of Sefton Council Ian Maher said: “I am delighted that this decision has been made as I know that there are residents across the borough who are trying to find housing which is more suitable for them, but the housing stock is currently low.  Having the ability to acquire these properties means we can support our communities by giving them more housing options.”

Stuart Barnes, Head of Economic Growth & Housing said: “It is an exciting time for Sefton to be re-entering the social housing market. We will ensure that we have the support from Homes England and the right team and infrastructure in place to enable the Council to best serve its new tenants, but also to enable this tenure and initiative to grow.”

Christian Rogers Managing Director of Sandway Homes, said: “ We are delighted to be working closely with the Council as delivery partner, excited to be currently delivering our two developments in the north of the borough, and eager to secure planning permission for the development in the south and to facilitate the provision of additional social housing in the borough.”

Parks and Greenspaces update: January 2021

New restrictions which have been brought in as part of the new 2021 national Lockdown to combat the spread of COVID-19 have led to a number of important changes to how the Green Sefton parks & greenspace offer works within Sefton.

 

Visiting our Parks

Overall, our sites remain freely open and accessible for exercise. You can exercise in a local public outdoor place:

– by yourself

– with the people you live with

– with your support bubble (if you are legally permitted to form one)

– in a childcare bubble where providing childcare

– or, when on your own, with one person from another household

 

Volunteering

Sadly our volunteer group activities must stop again in line with the above. (Although the government guidance does make reference to ‘volunteering’, it is understood that this refers more to ‘caring’ type volunteers and support).

 

Outdoor Facilities now CLOSED

• Golf Courses: The Government requires that golf course be closed until further notice. No unauthorised play is permitted.

• Outdoor Gyms: All outdoor gyms are now closed, and will be decommissioned over the coming days.

• Tennis Courts / Basketball Courts: these areas are now closed and no use can be made of these courts which will be locked where possible over the coming days.

• Grassroots Sport – the use of playing pitches has also now ceased until further notice. We have communicated separately to leagues and clubs in more detail

• Park Buildings and Pavilions – these continue to remain closed.

 

Outdoor Facilities remaining OPEN

  • Playgrounds and play areas
  • Dog exercise areas
  • Allotments– our allotment sites will remain open to tenants who must limit their activity only to their own plots, not mix with other tenants and adhere to rules on the control of Coivid-19 which are displayed at entrance gates.

More Information

More information on Coronavirus can be found on our website at: https://www.sefton.gov.uk/coronavirus

We all appreciate the health and well being benefits of spending time outdoors (especially right now), but our resources will be stretched again during these challenging times, so if you do visit our sites please take extra effort to care for our environment by either taking their litter home or using the bins provided.

January coronavirus testing facilities across Sefton for those with symptoms

Testing for people with symptoms 

In January, drive-through Mobile Testing Units will operate once again. These sites are for those with symptoms – a new persistent cough, a high temperature or a loss of sense of taste or smell – and can be booked by calling 119 or visiting www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.

Planned dates and sites may be subject to change if testing is required in other locations:

Remaining dates for January 2021  

  • Monday 18 January – Southport
  • Tuesday 19 January – Ainsdale
  • Wednesday 20 January – NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Thursday 21 January – NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Friday 22 January – Litherland
  • Saturday 23 January – Aintree
  • Sunday 24 January – NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Monday25 January – NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Tuesday 26 January – Litherland
  • Wednesday 27 January – Litherland
  • Thursday 28 January – NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Friday 29 January – Southport
  • Saturday 30 January – Ainsdale
  • Sunday 31 January – Ainsdale

Walk-through test centres

In addition, local walk-through test centres are open every day from 8am to 8pm, providing easy access to COVID-19 tests for people who do not have access to a car and for those who have symptoms and should not travel by public transport.

The four local test centres are located at:

  • Bootle Town Hall, L20 7AA
  • Crosby Library Car Park, Haigh Road, L22 OLQ
  • Netherton Activity Centre, Glovers Land, L30 3TL
  • Southport Town Hall, PR8 1DA

Those with symptoms seeking tests, need to book ahead of going to either the walk-through or drive-through sites. It’s quick and easy to book by calling 119 or going online at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.

 

Testing for people not displaying any symptoms

Targeted, SMART COVID-19 testing for people who DON’T have COVID-19 symptoms and who have to go out to work and mix with others or who are in caring roles is now taking place at:

  • Splash World in Southport
  • Bootle Leisure Centre
  • Aintree Racecourse.

Each site is open from 8am to 8pm .  The SMART test sites are walk-through only

Find out about SMART coronavirus tests for people who have to go out and mix with others or are in caring roles.

 

Search Box