Please follow & like us

Southport Town Deal shortlisted for prestigious planning award

Southport Town Deal’s consultation and engagement process has been shortlisted for a prestigious Planning Award.

‘A Whole-Town Engagement: Southport Town Investment Plan’ has been shortlisted in the Award for stakeholder engagement in planning (plan-making or pre-application) category.

Engaging with thousands

In partnership with Turley’s, Sefton Council led the largest recorded response to a single consultation in the town, engaging with thousands of local people, securing thousands of pieces of feedback. Much of the consultation was successfully delivered during 2020 with Covid-19 requiring an innovative approach to virtual engagement, through partners such as Stand Up For Southport.

The feedback generated formed a significant part of Southport’s Town Deal Bid, resulting in £37.5 million being awarded to Southport.

Town’s biggest conversation

Dwayne Johnson, Chief Executive of Sefton Council, said: “The Plan we submitted was informed by the biggest conversation that the town has ever had about its future.

“We had 7,000 pieces of individual feedback from residents, business and visitors; over 1,000 young people from the town also put their ideas forward. The breadth and quality of consultation and engagement with all ages no doubt helped us to secure one of the largest Town Deals that the government has agreed nationally and across 101 towns.”

The Awards presentation will take place on Wednesday 9 & Thursday 10 June.

Find out more about the Southport Town deal and the Consultation and Engagement process.

Evensong service in Liverpool will commemorate HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

Liverpool Cathedral’s Evensong service on Sunday 18th April will mark the life of HRH, The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

The service, which is invitation only and starts at 3pm, will be attended by community representatives and political and civic leaders from across Liverpool City Region.

The service will be led by Dean of Liverpool the Very Revd Dr Sue Jones with the Lord Lieutenant of Merseyside, Mark Blundell. It will include personal reflections from Dame Lorna Muirhead, who held the role previously.

There will be prayers from the Archbishop of Liverpool – the Most Reverend Malcolm McMahon – and the Bishop of Liverpool – the Right Reverend Paul Bayes, along with representatives from other Merseyside faith communities each leading a prayer in their own tradition.

Attendees will include the Lord Mayor and Mayors of local boroughs, military and ex-service representatives, organisations including the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, Royal Mersey Yacht Club, Merseyside Scouts, Boys Brigade and local forces cadets.

The Cathedral is the fifth largest in the world which means there is ample space for the congregation to be safely accommodated and to observe Covid-19 regulations, such as social distancing and the wearing of face coverings.  

Well-wishers are asked not to congregate outside the Cathedral – but to watch the service online – via the Cathedral’s Facebook page and YouTube Channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgTSAfIhhA0. The service will also be streamed by local authorities across their channels.

Lord Lieutenant, Mark Blundell, said: “The Service of Commemoration is a chance for representatives from communities across Liverpool City Region to come together and remember HRH Prince Philip.

“The Duke was a regular visitor to our area over many years, most recently in 2016 when he accompanied The Queen to the International Festival of Business and the opening of both the new Exhibition Centre and Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.

“During his decades of devoted public service, he touched the lives of many thousands of people, whether it was accompanying The Queen on engagements or his active involvement in many charities, organisations and causes close to his heart.

“Like Liverpool, he was tremendously proud of his close association with the Armed Forces.

“He leaves an incredible legacy, not just as Consort to Her Majesty, but also his work on the groundbreaking Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme which has helped the personal development of so many young people around the country over many decades.”

Sefton Council is looking for volunteers who can support children and young people in making their voices heard

Are you passionate about improving the lives of children and young people in care?

Could you support a young person to have their say in decisions made about them, help them to understand their rights and challenge anything they are unhappy with.

If you could spare a couple of hours a month to volunteer as an Independent Advocate, we would love to hear from you.

The purpose of our independent advocacy is to:

  • Assist and support children and young people to speak out/speak up for themselves
  • Ensure that the young person’s voice is heard and listened to.
  • Help children and young people to understand decisions that have been made about their care
  • Assist children and young people to understand their rights and the services that are available to them.

As a volunteer, you will receive:

  • Initial training including Independent Advocacy, Safeguarding and Children’s Social Care
  • Ongoing supervision and support
  • Access to free specialist training relevant to your role
  • Reimbursement of expenses (including travel)
  • Skills and Experience to assist with future job opportunities

Our Independent Advocates will usually support young people at appointments / meetings during office hours, therefore we particularly welcome interest from volunteers who are available midweek (any days Mon-Fri).

For more information Contact Cheryl Yates, Independent Visiting and Advocacy Officer:

cheryl.yates@sefton.gov.uk 0151 934 4167 / 0771843282

Sefton Council looking forward to welcoming people back to refurbished fitness facilities

Representatives visiting site including MP Peter Dowd, Cllr Paul Cummins and Cllr Marion Atkinson

Sefton Council is looking forward to welcoming people back to refurbished fitness facilities at Crosby Lakeside Adventure Centre on Monday 12th April, as lockdown measures are eased.

Work carried out during lockdown means that users will be able to enjoy a brand-new fitness and spin studio, an updated fitness suite and refurbished changing rooms with new toilets. There is also a brand-new reception and social area, a new fitness class waiting area and new meeting rooms.

Cllr Ian Moncur Cabinet Member for Health & Wellbeing said

“I’d like to thank our staff who have been working hard behind the scenes while the gym has been closed due to the pandemic. It has really paid off as I’m sure our members will enjoy an even better experience when they return.”

“The gym and lake will re-open on Monday 12th April and new members can book an induction from Tuesday 6th April. Fitness classes will commence on Monday 17th May.”

At the site visit, Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said:

“These improvements are part of a ÂŁ3.1 million scheme to transform the whole of Crosby Lakeside Adventure Centre, which is at the entrance to the beautiful Crosby Coastal Park and adjacent to Anthony Gormley’s Another Place (the ‘iron men’).

“Construction has already begun on the project, which will see new and improved wedding, conference, hotel, dining and bar facilities.

“This transformation is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2021 but in the meantime the leisure side of the Crosby Lakeside Adventure Centre, including the gym and the water sports activities, will be open for business as usual throughout the work.”

MP for Bootle Peter Dowd said:

“It has been great to come on site and see how this amazing project is coming along and to get a glimpse of the new and improved leisure facilities first hand.

“As part of the original team who worked on the Lakeside when it opened in 2009, it is fantastic to see the Council still valuing the asset and making these improvements.

“Crosby Lakeside Adventure Centre is an incredible asset and I am delighted that this investment has been made in order to improve the service for the local community and visitors.”

Also visiting the site Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care Cllr Paul Cummins said:

“I am so pleased that such a significant investment has been put into this fantastic facility which can be enjoyed by people from our borough and beyond.

“The plans for this site are exciting and the development is already coming on leaps and bounds. I am fully confident that this leisure and hospitality offer will be a major benefit to Sefton’s visitor economy.”

Mike Macaulay, Director of Crossfield Construction, commented:

“We are delighted to have started construction on this flagship project.

“It gives us great pride to be entrusted with Sefton Council’s vision to revive the Coastal Park and the wider area.

“Many of our team grew up in Crosby so this project is very close to our hearts and we are committed to ensuring that our work here positively impacts the wider Sefton community.”

WATCH: Sefton honours communities during national Day of Reflection

Tuesday, March 23 marks one year since Sefton went into lockdown.

In line with national events to mark this day, Sefton have put together a special film to honour, remember and thank all of our residents for a difficult and challenging year under COVID-19.

Chief Executive Dwayne Johnson and Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher have also issued the below letter to all Sefton communities.

Southport and Bootle Town Halls will be illuminated yellow this evening (March 23) from 7pm-9pm as a sign of reflection and remembrance to all those who have lost their lives through COVID-19.

*****

To our residents,

This past year has been a year like no other.

March 23rd 2021 marks a year since the first national lockdown began as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

We were asked to stay at home and reduce our contacts. For some, that has meant that they have not seen loved ones for over a year, some have not met new family members, or marked special occasions; others did not get a chance to say goodbye.

Our communities have been hit hard by this pandemic and we want to recognise the difficulties people continue to face as we slowly begin to emerge, a year later.

The impact of this pandemic will be felt for some time to come and it is important that we reflect on the challenges we have faced, and we consider how we will emerge stronger and face those difficulties ahead.

We could not let today pass without recognising the sacrifice and hardship faced by our community and to pause and take stock of the year that has gone by.

But there are some positives we can take from this past year.

It has been heart-warming and truly inspiring to see how our communities have come together to support each other during this time.

We have seen huge numbers of volunteers, supporting those who needed it, neighbours checking in on neighbours, and welfare visits through the window.

We’ve seen fundraising and charities pulling us all through and inspiring stories of people going the extra mile and showing what Sefton can do.

The spirit of our community continues to impress us, while we share an overwhelming sadness for those we have lost and pride in our community for how we are pushing through.

We know that many sacrifices have been made to drive the COVID infection rate down, and sadly, we have lost loved ones along the way.

They will be sadly missed and will not be forgotten.

We will look at options for a permanent memorial and long term commemorations when the time is right, but for now, we would urge everyone to pause, reflect and continue to work together as one community.

We must continue to stick to the rules as lockdown eases so that we can truly put this past year behind us.

We urge everyone to continue to reduce their contacts as much as possible and take precautionary measures as lockdown lifts.

Soon, we hope, we can hug our families again

Sefton Council will continue to support our MySefton community as we emerge from this pandemic and we would, once again, like to thank you for all that we have done over the past year.

We will emerge stronger.

Dwayne Johnson & Cllr Ian Maher.

Search Box