Please follow & like us

COVID restrictions guidance including update for people considered clinically extremely vulnerable

On Monday 12th October the Prime Minister announced new restrictions for Sefton and the rest of the Liverpool City Region, which have now come into effect.

Exact details of some of the new restrictions are still being clarified but the FAQs on the Sefton Council website have been updated to explain how residents and businesses will be affected.

You can find the updated FAQs here.

With Sefton and the rest of Liverpool City Region having been placed at the Tier 3, Very High COVID alert level, new guidance has been issued for people who are considered clinically extremely vulnerable. These are people who have specific health conditions, certain cancers or who are organ transplant recipients.

These people, who are likely previously to have been shielding, are being advised to stay at home as much as possible, to work from home and to avoid all but essential travel. They are also being told to reduce shopping trips significantly, to use online delivery services or ask other people in their household, support bubble or volunteers to collect food and medicines.

However, clinically extremely vulnerable people should still try to go outside for exercise, and can still go to school and to work if they cannot work from home.

Anyone who is clinically extremely vulnerable and who needs support to follow the guidance should contact the Council’s Call Centre on 0345 140 0845.

People can also find out more about the restrictions from the Sefton Council website. 

 

Sefton Council joins forces with partners to tackle Hate Crime

National Hate Crime Awareness Week takes place from 10th – 17th October 2020. The aim of the week is to raise awareness of what hate crime is and how it affects people, encourage people to report hate crime, and let people know what is happening in the local area to tackle hate crime.

Raising awareness and encouraging the reporting of hate crimes and incidents is a priority for the Council and partners throughout the year, but we can also take the opportunity to join with national groups across the country to highlight issues during campaign weeks.

What is Hate Crime?

A hate crime is defined as ‘Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person’s race or perceived race; religion or perceived religion; sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation; disability or perceived disability and any crime motivated by hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender.’

A hate incident is any incident which the victim, or anyone else, thinks is based on someone’s prejudice towards them because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or because they are transgender.

Not all hate incidents will amount to criminal offences, but it is equally important that these are reported and recorded by the police

Cllr Ian Maher Leader of Sefton Council said:

“Sefton Council take all incidents of Hate Crime very seriously and we are working hard with our partner agencies to tackle this problem.

 “I would encourage people to tell and partner agencies such as the Police, support charities such as Stop Hate UK and housing providers who can help take action and support victims and witnesses.

“You don’t have to be the victim to be able to report a hate crime or hate incident, anyone can make a report a crime. Please help us make Sefton a safer place for everyone.”

Click here for more information about hate crime from the Sefton Council website.

Click here for more information from Merseyside Police, including an online reporting.

Click here for more information about National Hate Crime Awareness Week.

Click here for more information about the Stop Hate UK national hate crime helpline.

Constructive intervention by Council helps Bootle business to re-open

Sefton Council’s Environmental Health officers have been working with the owner of a Bootle business, closed for not implementing the required precautions to protect staff and customers against COVID-19, to enable it to re-open again safely.

Last week the Council issued a Closure Notice to the owner of Skin Kerr in Bootle after visits to the premises by the Council’s Environmental Health team raised concerns that current restrictions and public health guidance were not being adhered to, meaning customers and staff were being put at risk from infection by COVID-19.

Productive

After meetings described as ‘productive’, Council officers were assured that the owner is willing to comply with the regulations and put the required measures in place. This means that the imminent threat of infection has been removed.

Under a new Direction Order, the business can re-open and trade provided the conditions agreed remain in place. Ongoing inspections will be carried out and any breach of the Direction Order’s requirements would result in the business being ordered to close again.

Constructive

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services, said: “I am pleased that our Environmental Health team has been able to work constructively with the owner of this Bootle business to put the measures in place that enable it to re-open.

“As we have made clear, Sefton Council will not hesitate to take action against businesses refusing to put in place measures to keep staff and customers safe, but equally we will do all we can to work with them to resolve the issues and enable them start trading again.

“The vast majority of our local businesses have been doing their utmost to meet their legal duty of ensuring they are COVID-secure and since the start of the pandemic in March we have been providing advice and support.

“We appreciate the efforts and sacrifices they have made and would encourage them to get in touch if they are struggling to meet the requirements.”

Supportive

Earlier this week, Sefton Council leader Cllr Ian Maher joined the Metro Mayor, the Mayor and city region leaders in announcing an emergency fund of up to £40million in a bid to rescue Liverpool City Region’s vital hospitality and leisure sector from economic collapse. The unprecedented emergency fund is vital to protect the sector as a stop-gap until financial support from central Government is secured.

The fund has been set up a direct response to new government restrictions, which came into force on Saturday 3 October, forbidding people from mixing with other households in indoor venues – including pubs, bars and restaurants.

Find out more about the Emergency Aid package.

Council will not hesitate to take action against businesses failing to protect customers & staff from COVID-19

Cabinet member delivers warning after Closure Notice issued to Bootle business.

After making several visits and issuing a warning letter Sefton Council last week issued a Closure Notice to the owner of Skin Kerr in Bootle.

Visits to the premises by the Council’s Environmental Health team raised concerns that current restrictions and public health guidance were not being adhered to, meaning customers and staff were being put at risk from infection by COVID-19.

Because the adequate controls and measures required to make the premises COVID-secure were not put in place, despite being set out in a recent warning letter, the Council has moved to close the premises temporarily.

Cllr Paulette Lappin Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services said: “It is the responsibility of businesses across Sefton to ensure they have the required measures in place to protect their staff and their customers from COVID_19 infection and we know that most of them are doing their utmost to comply.

“And, the Council is working closely with the Health and Safety Executive to provide support and advice to our local businesses.

“However, when businesses refuse to comply and insist on putting people at risk from the pandemic, we will not hesitate to take action against them as we have with Skin Kerr in Bootle.”

Further to its work with businesses, begun at the start of the pandemic in March, Sefton Council has been working with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) since mid-September, to help Sefton’s businesses make sure they are COVID-secure. Phone calls and follow-up visits are being carried out with businesses in the hospitality, beauty & hairdressing and the warehousing sectors. During these checks, businesses are being provided with advice and guidance to manage risk and protect workers, customers and visitors.

Find out more about the Council’s work with the HSE.

When the joint initiative was launched, Cllr Lappin said: “Becoming COVID-secure is a legal duty and needs to be the priority and we know the vast majority of our local businesses are trying hard to get this right by putting the necessary measures in place.

“We appreciate the efforts business owners and managers are making and have undertaken this work with the HSE to provide any further advice and support they may need.”

Sefton Council also recently reminded businesses of the need to create a QR code for their premises which people can use to check in on the national COVID-19 app, by visiting www.gov.uk/create-coronavirus-qr-poster and following the instructions.

Businesses required by law to display QR code posters include pubs, bars, restaurants and cafés, hotels, museums, cinemas and amusement arcades and close contact services such as hairdressers, barbershops and tailors. Council facilities such as community centres, libraries and village halls are also covered as are places of worship, community organisations with a physical location and events taking place at a specific location.

Find out more about creating a business test and Trace QR code.

 

Sefton Council leader, Cllr Ian Maher responds to latest Merseyside COVID restrictions

Responding to yesterday’s announcement by the Secretary of State about new COVID-19 restrictions affecting Sefton and Merseyside Sefton Council Leader, Cllr Ian Maher said:

“While I know resident and businesses across Sefton will be disappointed and worried about the Government’s introduction of these latest additional measures, I am afraid they are a necessary part of halting the ongoing rise of confirmed cases across the region.

“The new measures mean that from one midnight after midnight (Saturday 3rd October), households are banned from mixing in any indoor settings and these restrictions will be enforceable by law and subject to fines.

“This is in addition to the current restriction on people mixing with other households in private homes and gardens and pub gardens although we need clarity as the Minister stated yesterday people could see each other in Parks, yet the official statement issued later said they couldn’t, so which is it?

“The new regulations also mean people should only travel for essential reasons including going to work, school or college and that visits to care homes should still only take place in exceptional circumstances. Additionally, people should not attend sporting events as spectators.

“The 10pm curfew for pubs bars restaurants and cinemas remains in place.

“This news will be a blow to people across Sefton who have made enormous sacrifices and efforts through the pandemic but I would, once again, urge them to follow these new restrictions to protect Sefton’s communities, its vulnerable, its businesses and its economy.

“I would also plead with people not to make the fact that these new measures don’t come into effect until a minute past midnight on Saturday, an excuse to go out and party tonight as they would be putting themselves and their vulnerable relatives at increased risk.

“And, I would urge all members of Sefton’s hospitality industry to make sure they have the measures, including track and trace QR code posters, social distancing and thorough cleaning regimes, in place now.

“Sefton’s residents, communities and businesses have shown already how far they are prepared to go to follow the regulations and protect the most vulnerable people in our Borough.

“I want to thank them again for that effort and for the commitment I am confident they will show in following these new measures.”

Search Box