Please follow & like us

Splash World washes away its carbon footprint

As Splash World, Southport reflects on the 10 years since it first opened its doors in 2008, the Sefton Council run centre has discovered that it has saved almost 3,000 tonnes of CO2.

 This massive saving would be enough to run nearly 800 homes for an entire year and is the equivalent to planting over 31,000 trees.

 The huge savings have been achieved through the use of an onsite Combined Heat and Power Plant (CHP) which has allowed the centre to generate its own electricity by using renewable energy from solar power.

 While new and more efficient technology has facilitated the savings, the indoor water park and leisure centre has worked closely with the council’s Energy and Environmental Management Section to make changes to how the site is run to ensure better energy efficiency. This includes the installation of pool covers, LED lighting, better controls to air conditioning and more up to date and energy efficient gym equipment.

 The centre also ensures that all of its staff are trained to ensure that energy saving is part of their everyday job.

 Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: “It is fantastic to see that energy saving has become such a huge priority in recent years.

 “To see the amount of CO2 emissions that have been avoided since Splash World first opened its doors 10 years ago really sets a precedent for local businesses to take action and undertake measures to use alternative energy sources.

 “I am delighted that such a great Sefton Council run facility has made an important and positive change and look forward to seeing how other businesses look to follow suit in the future.”

Royal invite for Sefton foster carer couple

Two selfless foster carers from Sefton are on their way to Windsor as special guests of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding.

Southport couple Dawn Butterworth and Louise Todd have been foster carers in Sefton for six years and in that time have worked tirelessly to care for 24 children across the borough.

It is their hard work, dedication and love of their role which has seen the duo nominated by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Merseyside to be special guests at Windsor Castle for the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on May 19.

Partners Dawn and Louise will spend the day at Windsor Castle where they will be able to listen to a live broadcast of the ceremony and watch the departure of the Bride and Groom’s Carriage Procession.

The Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Dave Robinson, said: “It was an absolute pleasure to meet with Dawn and Louise ahead of their once in a lifetime experience!

“They have been foster carers for Sefton since 2012 and have cared for lots of children in that time – from babies to teenagers!

“The care Dawn and Louise have provided over the years has been exemplary to say the least and the impact they have had on positively shaping children’s futures is invaluable.

“Like all our foster carers Dawn and Louise are passionate about the children they care for and go above and beyond.

“To have been given this honour shows just how much Dawn and Louise have done for fostering in the borough.”

The wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle takes place at St George’s Chapel, Windsor, from 12pm on Saturday, May 19.

Metro Mayor marks first year in office by celebrating Auhority’s achievements

Steve Rotheram has marked the first anniversary of his election as the first Metro Mayor and the creation of a Mayoral Combined Authority by celebrating the achievements of the Combined Authority over the last year.

Elections for the new role were held on 4 May 2017, with Steve officially taking up the role on Monday 8 May, 2017.

The city region has had a Combined Authority since 2014, bringing together the political leaders of the six local authorities – Halton, Knowsley, Liverpool, St Helens, Sefton and Wirral – along with the Local Enterprise Partnership.

With the election of a Metro Mayor, that body became a Mayoral Combined Authority with additional powers over key priorities including employment and skills, strategic housing and planning, transport and highways, economic and business growth, energy and environment, culture, finance, European funding, information sharing, constitutional and governance issues.

Commenting on the one-year anniversary, Steve Rotheram said:

“This has been a very exciting first year as Metro Mayor of the Liverpool City Region and, working with the leaders of our six local authorities, we have already achieved so much.

“Devolution means that we can make our own decisions here, rather than having them taken for us in Whitehall.

“We’re using that power to deliver an investment programme of over £1bn in transport, skills, economic development and housing.

“Whilst transformational change will inevitably take time, today is an opportunity to assess our progress to date. Some of the key achievements over the last year include: our £5m Households into Work programme, helping 800 families into new jobs; building a new station at Maghull North; and securing £234m in additional government funding to modernise our transport network and connect the City Region to HS2.

“This is just the start. I stood as Metro Mayor because I believe that devolution can be a game changer for our region.

“One year on I’m more convinced than ever that we are making real progress towards a brighter future. “

The 15 Combined Authority achievements over the last year highlighted by the Metro Mayor are listed below:

1. Launched our pioneering Households into Work initiative to support 800 families with two or more people in long-term unemployment back into work

2. Secured £5m to support the growth of digital and creative businesses through the LCR Activate programme

3. Invested £3.4 million in Alstom, for a state-of-the-art train maintenance and repair facility, creating hundreds of local jobs and apprenticeships.

4. Started work on a city region full-fibre network, providing ultra-fast digital connectivity across the whole of the Liverpool City Region

5. Building a new £13m station for Maghull North and a £19m interchange scheme, new station building and park and ride facility at Newton-le-Willows

6. Constructing a new £19m railway line connecting our region to North Wales via the Halton Curve

7. Established a Mersey Tidal Power commission to harness the power of the River Mersey

8. Providing £12m funding for the Paddington Village development – an integral part of Liverpool’s Knowledge Quarter

9. Providing cleaner public transport where low emission buses make up 70% of bus fleet, with one fifth of those powered by electricity

10. Introducing a “1% for culture” programme to support cultural activities across our region and naming St Helens as our inaugural “Borough of Culture”

11. Delivering £5m to support the Liverpool 2018 cultural programme– the celebration of the 10th anniversary since it was European Capital of Culture.

12. Investing in initiatives to support the creation of 5,000 local jobs, 2,000 apprenticeships and 25,000 new homes by 2020.

13. Securing £234m in additional government funding to modernise our transport network and connect the City Region to HS2.

14. Establishing FASJAB (the Fairness and Social Justice Advisory Board), the first of its kind in the country, to ensure fairness and social justice is at the heart of decision-making across the Liverpool City Region.

15. Securing a share of £28m from government to deliver a ‘Housing First’ approach to homelessness.

Shop till you drop in fabulous Sefton

Sefton is booming with business and it’s easy to find a world of shopping wonders across our beautiful borough.

Whether it’s the hustle and bustle of South Road, the bargains of Bootle Strand, the boutiques of Lord Street, Formby’s Chapel Lane or Central Square in Maghull, Sefton is a huge shopping spree waiting to happen all year round.

So why not sample just some of our shopping delights during the sunny weekend?

If it’s sartorial elegance you’re after, be sure to check out the fantastic array of clothing retailers along Lord Street in Southport.

Or how about Wesley Street? Southport’s very own ‘Village In The Town.’

A microcosm of shopping, eating and entertaining delights, the colourful street is nestled away between Eastbank Street and Tulketh Street.

Awash with independent boutiques, barbers, cafes and shops, with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, there is something for everyone.

 

In Formby, Chapel Lane is a haven for the relaxed shopper with an array of stores and restaurants to suit every need.

Book lovers will find a haven of literary wonders in Crosby Village with Pritchard’s Book shop on Moor Lane or if you’re feeling peckish, sample  foods of the world on South Road, Waterloo.

But if you’re a baragin hunter, Bootle Strand Shopping Centre is the place to be with a treasure trove of deals, sales and a vast array of stores and outlets to pick from.

For more suggestions and ideas on where to visit and what to see in Sefton, visit the council’s instagram @sefton_council.

A new Merseyside Approach to Child Exploitation and Missing Children

Merseyside Police, the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) and the five local Safeguarding Boards, Sefton, Wirral, Knowsley, Liverpool and St Helens are coming together to continue the fight against child exploitation and tackle the issue of missing children.

On Tuesday, 1 May the partners will launch new Pan – Merseyside Child Exploitation and Missing Children Protocols, to ensure a consistent approach to tackling these issues right across the region.

Sefton Council Chief Executive Margaret Carney explains: “As individual Safeguarding Boards across Merseyside, we have always worked to our own individual protocols around child exploitation. Last year we decided to build upon this existing work to launch a pan-Merseyside approach. The aim of these protocols is to continue and improve the work already done in individual areas to protect children from exploitation – be that sexual or criminal.

“Exploitation of children exists in lots of different forms and it is not always obvious to the victim or their families, when it first starts happening. We want this joined up approach to not only tackle the problem but also to change culture and opinions. A lot of children involved in crime are actually victims of exploitation and organised crime groups are grooming, coercing and abusing children and young people to work for them. Our new protocol includes pathways and assessments tools that can help all agencies to identify those children who are at risk and help put a stop to this behaviour – offering support to victims, disrupting criminal groups and prosecuting those involved.

“Similarly the new Missing Children Protocol will ensure all missing children are reported and identified at the earliest opportunity to reduce their risk of exploitation and offer the support at the right time.”

The launch event will take place at Everton Football Club and representatives from the local five Safeguarding boards, strategic services such as children’s homes and referral units, alongside representatives from the voluntary sector will be in attendance. Key note speakers such as Sefton Council Chief Executive Margaret Carney, PCC Jane Kennedy and Assistant Chief Constable Serena Kennedy, will talk about the issues faced and give details on the implementation of new protocols, and how they will work practically to streamline and improve the processes. Delegates will then be invited to visit stalls, staffed by representatives from the local Safeguarding Boards.

Merseyside Police Assistant Chief Constable Serena Kennedy said: “Alongside our partners, we have a duty of care to protect young people from harm and this new innovative, multi-agency approach will mean a consistency across the board.

“The introduction of the new protocols shows how, as a partners, seriously we take these issues and that we are leading the way in putting a stop to child exploitation. Sadly we know child exploitation can affect any young person and have a devastating impact on their lives – that’s why it’s so important for us to work together to ensure we provide the best possible quality of service for those most vulnerable in our communities.”

Merseyside’s Police Commissioner Jane Kennedy said: “Keeping our young people safe must be a priority for all public agencies. Today’s launch demonstrates that this responsibility is taken very seriously by all the partners here in Merseyside.

“As a region we are committed to working together to deliver a consistent, high-quality service that prevents exploitation of all kinds and protects young people, no matter where they live. Sadly, we know that some young victims do not recognise that they are being exploited. That means we need all professionals to know how to spot the signs that a child may be at risk and take the appropriate steps to keep them safe. These pan-Merseyside protocols provide the tools, the risk assessments and referral pathways to ensure the right response at the right time for young people who may be vulnerable.

“I thank everyone who has worked so hard to get to this point today and to all the partners for their on-going commitment to improving the protection and care we provide for young people in Merseyside.”

Ellie Fairgrieve, Senior Service Coordinator, Catch22 Pan Merseyside Child Exploitation Service: “Catch22 believe there should be no barriers in responding to Child Exploitation, and our team are excited to continue our work with all five local authorities and Merseyside Police to keep children safe. The launch of the revised exploitation protocol, referral forms and risk assessments mean that all forms of exploitation will be considered and that more professionals will understand the risks of criminal exploitation. Merseyside are leading the way in fighting child exploitation and, as practitioners, it’s wonderful to know that young people will receive a consistent response- no matter where they are on Merseyside.”

Search Box