Please follow & like us

Quarter of a million meals sold in Southport Market’s first year

More than a quarter of a million tasty treats have been served up during Southport Market’s first year of operation.

As the hugely popular venue turns one year old this week, Southport Market’s traders have been tallying up the successes of their first 12 months in business.

Statistics show that 279,400 dishes from around the world have been served up since the Market launched and that over 94,000 thirst-quenching pints have been poured.

Since opening on Thursday 22 July 2021 following a huge refurbishment, the new-look Southport Market on King Street has revitalised the town’s market quarter. This has resulted in new businesses opportunities and investment to the surrounding area.

Southport Market has also been hailed by a number of campaigners for its impressive accessibility provisions – the Market boasts a bespoke Changing Places space which is a fully accessible toilet and changing facility for people with disability needs, as well as multiple points of access for wheelchair users and families with prams.

To celebrate this landmark achievement Southport Market will be holding an all-day Birthday Bonanza throughout Friday 22 July with live music, bouncy castles, soft-play, DJs and a sing-along!

Southport Market’s incredible first year in numbers

• 279,470 dishes served
• 94,588 pints of beer sold
• 9,564 burritos stuffed (Hector’s Mexicana)
• 11,249 Greek gyros wrapped (Pitamu)
• 10,477 portions of poutine created (Down & Oot)
• 22,663 pizza bases fired (600 Degrees Pizza)
• 15,000 portions of French fries topped (Allotment)

Sweeter treats are also available at the Market in the form of baked goods from Cake Corner and fresh ice cream, multiple toppings from Conehead. And for those preferring to buy something high-quality to eat at home, there’s family-run Blackhurst Butchers who have been at Southport Market for nearly 60 years.

As well as being home to food and drink outlets Southport Market also hosts free Thursday evening music events and a weekly, local crafts market that is also held on Thursdays. And, its Extravaganza Room will soon be available to hire for events and parties.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “Firstly, I want to say a huge thank you to our staff, our traders and everyone who has visited Southport Market in the last year.

“From the moment we announced our plans to transform the former market into a food & drink hall and community space it was clear there was a real desire and demand for a venue like this in Southport.

“Not only has Southport Market been a success in its own right but it has helped to boost the market quarter area of the town centre and we have seen dozens of new businesses and enterprising traders gravitate towards this hub of excitement.

“It’s not just about the food either – the Market itself and accompanying events space have been a welcome home for a host of different community groups, economic forums, conventions and more.

“This is a very exciting time for Sefton and Southport, and we continue to look at all opportunities for regeneration to benefit our communities.”

Ross Perkins of Canadian themed Down & Oot said: “Since opening Down & Oot last July we are really proud of the business that we have grown.

“We have brought new and exciting cuisine to Southport and our speciality Canadian poutine has been a huge hit.”

Dan Johnson of 600 Degrees Pizza added: “Our unit in Southport Market has allowed us to build on our growing brand and we have seen plenty of regular customers come through our doors to get their pizza fix which is really satisfying as a small business and we appreciate all of the loyalty.”

Southport Market’s First Birthday Bonanza begins from 1oam with family fun sessions running until 4pm. From 5pm popular local DJ Mark Pickup and soul sensation Dave Broe will continue the party atmosphere into the night with live music and more.

Southport Market is open 10am to 10pm Wednesdays and Thursdays, 10 am to 11pm Fridays and Saturdays and from 10 am to 6pm on Sundays.

All the details about the Market are at www.southportmarket.com

/Ends

‘Stay out of the sun as much as you can’ warns Sefton’s Director of Public Health

While temperatures in the North West may not be forecast to reach the extreme 40°C that have caused the Met Office to issue the first ever Red warning for exceptional heat today, Sefton Council is still urging people to be careful and prepare for the heat.

We expect temperatures to rise above 30 C and people can develop health problems such as heat exhaustions and heatstroke, especially if they are either young or older or if they have an underlying health condition.

During hot and sunny weather, we also need to remember to protect ourselves from the harmful effects of UV light.

Sustained exposure to the sun even at lower temperature can cause a number of health problems such as heat exhaustion and heatstroke and everyone is vulnerable the harmful effects of UV light if unprotected. 

Margaret Jones, Sefton Council’s Director of Public Health said: “While I can fully understand that many people thoughts will turn to visiting the coast, what we need to remember is that on the beach, we are fully exposed to the effects of the sun and heat, especially if we are not prepared.  

“It is important to stay out of the Sun as much as possible during the hottest part of the day. While it is so sunny if we do go out, we should wear sunscreen and a hat and try and stay in the shade.

“We should try and keep cool this could be indoors or outdoors in the shade.

“If you do want to go out, staying local in areas such as parks where trees and shelters can provide shade will be cooler and much more suitable for young children and elderly people who can succumb to the potentially dangerous effects of heat and dehydration very quickly.”

Useful links

Supporting vulnerable people before and during a heatwave: for health and social care professionals – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Looking after children and those in early years settings during heatwaves: for teachers and professionals – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Beat the heat: keep cool at home checklist – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Heat Exhaustion is where people become very hot and start to lose water or salt from their body. Symptoms include weakness, faintness, headache, muscle cramps, feeling sick, heavy sweating and intense thirst.

Heatstroke is where the body is no longer able to cool itself and a person’s body temperature becomes dangerously high. Heatstroke is less common, but more serious and untreated, it can cause confusion, seizures and loss of consciousness.

Margaret continued:  “The best way to look after ourselves during what the Government has called ‘a national emergency’ is to stay out of the extreme heat, ensure we cool ourselves down, keep our environment cool or find somewhere else that is cool, this could be indoors or outside in the shade.”

People can find out more information on keeping cool during the hot weather, and how to keep others safe at www.gov.uk/government/publications/heatwave-plan-for-england/beat-the-heat-staying-safe-in-hot-weather 

Anyone who does go to the coast needs to remember that with no shelter or shade, sand temperatures can rise very quickly, creating a very uncomfortable and challenging surface to walk or stand on. 

Margaret Jones continued:  “If you are determined to go the beach, use factor 30 or above sun cream and lots of it and make sure children are protected and not exposed too much, as sunburn can do long-term damage.  

“Take plenty of drinks and ensure you keep hydrated because heat exhaustion and heatstroke can creep up on you and think about taking regular trips to somewhere off the beach where you can find some shade.”

Sefton and its partners coast teams will be on duty over the coming days, and they can provide some first aid. With ambulance services currently at full stretch, people needing more thorough emergency treatment may find themselves facing a long wait for assistance.

People visiting the Sefton coast this weekend are asked to dispose of litter carefully in bins, or if they are full, to take litter home with them as some items such as glass in strong sunshine can cause fires, like a magnifying glass. 

Also, migrating birds are returning so people are asked not to disturb these incredible travellers as they rest on the shoreline and to dogs under control.

 

‘COVID and I are both still here,’ warns Sefton Health Chief, Margaret Jones

Margaret Jones, Director of Public Health in Sefton
Margaret Jones, Sefton Council’s Director of Public Health

Sefton Council’s Director of Public Health Margaret Jones said today that she hasn’t gone away and neither has COVID.

With levels of COVID infections in the Borough at the highest level for 15 months Margaret Jones said it was important that people remember the measures needed to avoid getting infected and passing the virus on.

Margaret, who was the public face of Sefton’s response to the pandemic, said: “Everyone will have hoped that COVID had gone away and that they had heard and seen the last of me and I hoped that would be the case too.

“However, COVID is still very much with us, and I am still here to stress that thorough hand washing, ensuring ventilation in busy indoor spaces, wearing masks in crowded areas and sensible social distancing are still key ways to avoid getting infected.

“And, of course making sure we are fully vaccinated with the first and second jab and any boosters we’re eligible for, is vital.

“The NHS vaccination programme means people who have had at least all three jabs and any further boosters available, are far less likely to be seriously ill or need hospitalisation, and it’s still not too late to get one.

“All you need to do is call 119 or visit www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.”

Mrs Jones went on to say that despite the protection the vaccinations provide, there are still those form whom contracting COVID could have major consequences.

She added: “Remembering the simple measures could help keep you, and them, safe.”

Recently one of the UK’s most senior health officials Dame Dr Jenny Harries, who last year praised Sefton for doing a ‘brilliant job’ dealing with the COVID variant that first emerged in India, urged people to wear masks in crowded places. She said the latest the wave of infections is a result of the Omicron sub-variants BA.4 and BA.5 and is “quite likely” to rise.

Last week the 200,000th UK death from coronavirus was reported by the Office for National Statistics.

People can find the Government’s latest advice on living safely with COVID at www.gov.uk/coronavirus.

Margaret Jones added that families that are struggling from the impact of the COVID pandemic and the rising prices of fuel, food and other essentials may be able to find help with one-off costs through Sefton Council’s Emergency Limited Assistance Scheme (ELAS). Details are at www.sefton.gov.uk/elas

 

Bootle is deeply dippy for Dippy!

He’s Britain’s best-loved dinosaur and Sefton Council thinks Dippy should be making his way to Bootle! 

Although Dippy currently lives in the Natural History Museum in London, Sefton Council, along with Ykids and the operators of the Strand shopping centre in Bootle, have today (13/7/22) submitted an expression of interest to host Dippy for up to three years. 

An artist's impression of Dippy in the Strand

If successful, the diplodocus cast will move to the community space at the Strand in Bootle, where residents and visitors will be able to learn about climate change and biodiversity loss both worldwide and at a local level. 

Alongside Dippy, a new education and visitor centre will offer a programme of activities, centred around Sefton’s environmental challenges. Visitors will be able to dig 

for fossils in a giant sandpit, explore a Sefton Coast timeline, experience interactive educational exhibits and participate in workshops. 

Dippy wouldn’t be Sefton’s only link to the prehistoric, though. Along the Formby coast, footprints of the humans that lived on the coast as long ago as 6000BC can be found. The prints, which have been exposed by tidal erosion, offer a unique insight into the prehistoric life of the area.  

Dippy’s temporary home in Bootle, as outlined by the expression of interest, will support the ongoing regeneration and recovery as part of the wider transformation of Bootle town centre. This would be just one of many exciting initiatives and projects, led by both Sefton Council and a range of partners, to breathe new life into Bootle and surrounding areas. It will build on the ongoing commitment of local voluntary groups to nurture the green spaces across the Borough and highlight Sefton’s own natural history, from the prehistoric development of our coastline to the environment challenges of the present day. 

If approved by the Natural History Museum, Dippy will attract his loyal fans, bringing visitors from all over the country to Bootle. He will be a positive attraction for the region, bringing economic benefits to the area. 

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills said: 

“This is a fantastic opportunity for Bootle which promises to bring focus and new visitors to an area of our Borough that has been hit hard recently.

“Dippy the dinosaur is an incredibly popular attraction at the Natural History Museum, and I’m pleased to support the expression of interest that has been put forward today. The Council and YKids would be very keen to welcome the Natural History Museum and its evaluation team to Bootle, to meet our communities and to see the space and the impact that this could have on our town centre.

“Sefton’s coastline has a rich history and Dippy would find himself at home in our local area.” 

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said:

“Dippy the dinosaur would be a very welcome guest in our community.

“If our expression of interest is successful, I have no doubt that Dippy would become an extremely popular attraction and a great way for people of all ages to learn more about our local area.

“Our coastlines are rich with history and Dippy would help to bring that history to life.” 

Claire Morgans from Ykids said:

“To be able to bring Dippy to Bootle would be a unique and exciting opportunity to teach children and young people in Sefton, and across the Liverpool City Region, all about the prehistoric history of our beautiful borough, and to engage them in a learning experience that might otherwise not be accessible to them. We’re confident we have put forward a strong case to host Dippy in Bootle, and we’re thrilled to be a part of this fantastic opportunity.” 

Shortlisting will take place at the start of August and Dippy will move into his new home in January 2023.  

Welcome for local company supported by Council’s InvestSefton team joining world-leading drive to save lives and improve patient outcomes

Staff working on a patient in an in-hospital simulationSefton Council’s Business Support Team have welcomed the news that Southport Company Immersive Interactive has been acquired by world leading company Echo Healthcare Inc.

Pioneering technology

Founded 10 years ago by Southport’s David Salt and Chris Porter, Immersive Interactive uses pioneering technology to create fully interactive rooms and environments that can be used for immersive experiences.

Medical simulations can include in-hospital or hazardous emergency situations that enable teams to learn in a safe and controlled environment. In the education sector, multi-sensory interactive spaces can engage students on a whole new level.

Strength to strength

With support from the Council’s InvestSefton team, Immersive Interactive has gone from strength to strength making it one of the leading Immersive Technologies companies in the world. Recent installations include Liverpool’s St Georges Hall ‘The History Whisperer’ experience, and the new Immersive room at Southport Eco Centre.

Echo Healthcare say the acquisition of Immersive Interactive will significantly expand its healthcare simulation and education offering and further supporting its mission to save lives and improve patient outcomes.

Shared vision

Both firms will now begin work on a shared vision to create the world’s premier immersive interactive simulation spaces.

“By joining two amazing companies together we will immediately realise gains in efficiency, access to resources, and roadmap acceleration” added Chris Porter, co-founder and partner at Immersive Interactive.

He and David will be joining Echo Healthcare in senior leadership positions with the rest of the team joining the worldwide leader in immersive spaces and educational software, 

World-leading

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills said: “I am delighted that Sefton Council has been able to support David and Chris and the team at Immersive Interactive to grow and reach this point where they are becoming part of a world-leading initiative that will help save lives and improve people’s health.

“It’s great to hear of local success stories like this and I would encourage any Sefton companies seeking advice and support to grow in the Borough to visit www.investsefton.com and find out what our advisers we can do for them.”

Find out more about Sefton Council’s Invest Sefton service.

Visit the Immersive Interactive website.

Search Box