Please follow & like us

Sefton Council’s Chief Executive to retire in May

Sefton Council’s Chief Executive Margaret Carney has announced that she will retire in May after 10 years in post.

Margaret, who has worked in local government for more than 40 years, told colleagues and partners that it has been the most difficult decision in her career but feels the time is right to hand over the baton to a new Chief Executive who can build on Sefton’s successes.

She said: “It has been an absolute privilege working with such hardworking, committed and passionate staff, councillors and partners over probably the most challenging period ever for local government and public services.

“I have loved working in Sefton despite the cuts. Not only is it where I work, it is also my home and I have seen first-hand how tirelessly and compassionately staff and councillors have worked to support our communities at a time of great uncertainty and worry.”

Under Margaret’s leadership, the Council has continued to provide hundreds of services to its communities and maintained a strong financial track record despite austerity.

She also spearheaded the development of a new and exciting vision for the future of the borough, working closely with partners, businesses, private sector organisations, the voluntary, community and faith sectors and the wider Sefton community. The Vision 2030 was borne and ensures the Council focuses on what is important for the borough and its communities in the future.

Earlier this year, the Council was praised for demonstrating real ambition for Sefton, for its strong track record of partnership working, place leadership and for having such a dedicated, passionate workforce by the Local Government Association’s (LGA) peer review team. This, Margaret says, is a real high to end her career on.

Sefton Council will start the search for a new Chief Executive immediately and Margaret will leave the Council on May 31 under normal retirement rules.

Tesco’s ‘Bags of Help’ scheme funds notice boards in Rimrose Valley

A community funding scheme run by Tesco in Litherland has enabled Rimrose Valley Friends to deliver four, hand-carved notice boards at entrances around the much-loved Country Park.

The initiative required members of the public to vote for their favourite cause using counters given to them in store.  Originally intended to improve just one entrance, the fund awarded stretched to notice boards being delivered to four entrances around the valley.  Beach Road and Gorsey Lane are already in place, with two more due to be installed soon at the Derwent Road and Brindley Close entrances.

Roy Bouffler, who designed and made the notice boards said: “It was a pleasure to create something for a place that holds special memories for me, as a child and then with my own children.  It’s a place of peace and tranquillity, which I have felt the benefit of.”

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: “Rimrose Valley is a great asset in the borough and The Green Sefton – and Natural Alternatives – team were happy to help, putting up Roy’s marvellous notice boards. They look great in situ, are a fine example of local craftsmanship and I’m sure will be well appreciated by our communities.”

Linda Gaskell of Rimrose Valley Friends added: “We’re delighted to be able to deliver the notice boards and to enhance several of the busiest entrances to the park.  The notice boards will contain a mixture of charity, campaign and other community notices, aimed at helping to bring the various communities which surround Rimrose Valley closer together.

“Work like this demonstrates that Rimrose Valley Friends as a charity is planning for the future of the Country Park and we are not put off by the threat of Highways England’s proposed road.

“Space is obviously limited, but any community groups or charities interested in submitting a notice should email enquiries@rimrosevalleyfriends.org 

Please note that advertisements will not be accepted.”

Southport’s new mental health facility to be named Hartley Hospital

The countdown is on for Southport’s new £20 million state of the art mental health facility to be named Hartley Hospital and fully operational in a year’s time.

The name recognises the historic origins of its location on the former Southport General Infirmary site next to what used to be the Christiana Hartley Maternity Hospital. The late Christiana Hartley CBE, one of the famous Hartley jam-making family, went on to become Southport’s first woman Mayor in 1921 and was an advocate for better health services, education, women’s equality and champion for children and the poor.

Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust chose the name Hartley Hospital after consultation with its staff, service users and carers and the wider community. The hospital’s internal areas will reflect names that connect it to the Sefton coastline, including Dunes Ward, Marsh Ward, Mere Suite and Marine Suite.

Chief Executive of Mersey Care, Joe Rafferty said: “Hartley Hospital will provide the best standards of accommodation and therapeutic environments within our resources – it is a statement of our commitment to deliver on promises for better mental health services in Sefton.

“We are delighted to announce the name a full 12 months ahead of its completion. The local community embraced helping us name the building and its patient and visitor areas – we are grateful to everyone who came to road-shows or sent in some of the hundreds of suggestions. Co-production with the people who use our services and their carers is at the heart of what we do.”

Construction on the site, situated off Scarisbrick New Road, Southport, started just over a year ago. Phase One of Hartley Hospital is due to open this autumn to enable the existing Boothroyd older people’s service to move in, before demolition work of the remaining old buildings. Final completion will be by January 2020, when services will start to relocate from the nearby Hesketh Centre.

Names for the new hospital and its wards came from visitors to road-shows in The Atkinson, Life Rooms Southport, Hesketh Centre, Boothroyd Unit, Trust’s Members’ Meeting at Aintree Racecourse, as well as Southport and Formby Clinical Commissioning Group’s Big Chat at the Royal Clifton Hotel. Hundreds of suggestions including on-line and face-to-face questionnaires were whittled down by a group made up of staff, service users, carers and local volunteers before the Project Board, led by Chairman Beatrice Fraenkel, made a final decision.

The new building will contain a café, family visiting room, multi-faith area, internal garden courtyards. All patient bedrooms will be single with en suite bathrooms and there will be a number of therapy and activity areas including two gyms.

Hartley Hospital will provide two 20-bed wards, one for adults the other for older inpatients, needing short-term mental health care and treatment, as well as an assessment suite (specifically for people needing a place of safety and assessment under Section 136 of the Mental Health Act). A range of community services and outpatient clinics will also be co-located there for the first time.

Funding For Heritage Lottery Project in Southport

Further funding is set to be approved by Sefton Council to submit a second round application for Heritage Lottery Funding (HLF) for a major project in Southport town centre.

Development funding of ÂŁ70K was awarded by the HLF last year to enable Sefton Council, in partnership with Southport BID, to progress their plans to apply for a full National Lottery grant of ÂŁ1.6m. With contributions from Sefton Council and property owners it could be worth up to ÂŁ2.36m in total.

At Cabinet on February 7, ÂŁ200K of match funding is set to be approved to enable Sefton Council and Southport BID to submit a second round application in June, 2019.

The Southport Townscape Heritage Project aims to enhance the quality and strength of the linkages between the town centre and the seafront so that the two become more integrated.

The project aims to increase the levels of economic activity within a target area and reduce the number of vacant and underused properties.

It will focus on historic properties between Lord Street and the Promenade and aims to complement the previous HLF restoration of King’s Gardens and the recent ÂŁ2m award from the Coastal Communities funds for the pier.

Cllr Daren Veidman, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Planning and Building Control, said: “We initially beat off fierce competition from 23 other bids to be one of only 5 areas within the UK to be awarded the grant.

“The match funding just approved will allow us to apply for a full National Lottery grant worth about ÂŁ1.6m which we will submit in June with a final decision made in the autumn.

“If approved we really believe the money will enhance the links between Lord Street and the Promenade reducing the vacant and poorly maintained properties and greatly increasing economic activity in these areas.”

The project aims to carry out essential conservation work , involving structural and external repair of historic buildings, the reinstatement of authentic architectural features and works to bring vacant floor space in historic buildings back into use.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, added: “Working with partners like Southport Civic Society and other education and training providers, we hope the project will bring community, volunteering and educational benefits to local residents.

“Lord Street and the Promenade conservation areas provide a rich and nationally significant collection of historic buildings and landscaping. We firmly believe preserving this heritage for residents, businesses and visitors alike will contribute greatly to the town’s economy while providing a strong sense of identity, local pride and community value.”

Part of the initial development funding has allowed for the recruitment of a dedicated Project Officer, Paul Crowther, who joined Sefton in November 2018 from the successful Townscape Heritage Project in Winckley Square, Preston. Paul has been busy working on developing the second round application and liaising with Southport BID.

Rob Uffendell, Chair of Southport Business Improvement District, said: “This is a great step forward for our town. The success of our joint application for first round funding demonstrated the effectiveness of the private and public sectors working together for the greater good of our town. We’re confident that continuing this collaboration will now help ensure a successful second round application resulting in ÂŁ1.6m grant funding to improve a core area of our town centre and is an example of how such collaborations are important in encouraging future investment in Southport.”

For more information please visit our webpage www.sefton.gov.uk/townscape alternatively get in touch on 0151 934 3155 or e-mail Paul.Crowther.sefton.gov.uk

MISSING: Gerald Brown from Litherland

Police are appealing for help in finding a 57-year-old man from Litherland who is missing from home.

Gerald Brown was last seen outside the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool city centre on Monday 28 January and extensive enquiries have been ongoing to locate him since.

Gerald is described as being white, 5ft 4in tall, bald and of stocky build. He also has a tattoo on his right arm.

When he was last seen, Gerald was wearing a grey cap, blue jeans, a blue polo shirt and a brown jacket.

It is believed Gerald may have travelled to Blackpool and Scotland.

Anyone who has seen Gerald or anyone fitting his description is asked to DM @MerPolCC, call 101 or contact the Missing People charity on 116 000.

Search Box