Please follow & like us

Southport Air Show hailed a soaring success for 2019

Southport Air Show has once again been hailed a soaring success with fascinating fireworks displays, awesome aerial stunts and much more.

Thousands of aviation enthusiasts and families visited the resort over the three day weekend (Friday, September 6 – Sunday, September 8) with displays from the RAF Typhoon, SAAB Viggen and the last ever public display of the Tucano team.

The busy weekend meant that business in the town centre was booming, with restaurant, shop and bar owners enjoying heavy footfall as part of the Southport Air Show.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member Regeneration and Skills, said: “Once again the Southport Air Show was an amazing experience for everyone who attended.

“The weather held out as huge crowds were wowed with some fantastic displays including debut performances from the Norwegian and Swedish historical air forces.

“On Sunday another amazing line up was probably capped with the last ever display from the RAF Tucano and the Typhoon closing the show.

“The feedback we have received so far has been very positive and visitors seemed to have enjoyed a diverse range of displays.

“Thousands of visitors attended the resort over the three days which will have had a real positive impact on local businesses in and around the town.

“We remain wholly committed to putting on fabulous events like this for Southport and Sefton

“We are already looking forward to next year’s show and I would encourage everyone to get their tickets for the upcoming British Musical Fireworks Champions at Victoria Park from Friday, September 27 – Sunday, September 29.”

For more information about the British Musical Fireworks Championships and events around Southport visit www.visitsouthport.com

Sefton welcomes opportunity to bid for slice of ÂŁ3.6bn town funding

Sefton Council is delighted to have received notification that Southport has been included within the Government’s invite list to bid for a share of £3.6b New Towns Funding.

This follows the recent exclusion of any Sefton towns within the Government’s recently announced £1b Future High Streets Fund.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “While we are delighted that we have not been overlooked this time, we look forward to understanding how Southport can actually get its hands on its share of this funding.

“Unfortunately, the announcement stops well short of a guarantee to allocate anything to Southport, moreover it simply offers Sefton Council an invitation to bid, and for a figure of up to a maximum of ÂŁ25m.

“We intend to put the strongest case forward for consideration by Government noting that the early information encourages focus upon investment in transport, technology, skills and culture. All of which are consistent with our priorities and aspirations contained within the Southport Investment Framework, the Local Plan, and indeed a number of other initiatives being pursued by the Council and with partners such as Southport BID.

“While I am bitterly disappointed our other town centres such as Crosby and Bootle have been overlooked, we will continue to support and encourage opportunities for investment more widely, and will fight for a fair deal for all of our communities and towns centres right across the borough.”

Sefton Council to fly flag for the emergency services

Flags to support the emergency services will be raised at Bootle Town Hall and Southport Town Hall on Monday, 9 September in honour of Emergency Services (999) Day.

Now in its second year, 999 Day is part of the National Emergency Services Memorial which is trying to raise at least £3 million to build Britain’s first national cenotaph dedicated to all UK emergency services. The cenotaph will also honour more than 7000 personnel who have lost their lives in the line of duty as well as giving thanks to over 2 million people working in the services today.

999 Day is also an opportunity to promote volunteering in the emergency services, educating the public about using the services responsibly, teaching life-saving skills, and promoting the work that the emergency services do on a daily basis.

The Council is also encouraging residents to take part in a 2 minute silence at 9am on 9 September to remember all who have been killed as a result of their service.

Sefton celebrating children and young people this September for the ‘Year of Friendship’

This month as part of the Year of Friendship campaign, Sefton Council will be focusing on children and young people and highlighting some of the amazing organisations and projects which give help and support to them.

Adjusting through teenage years can bring challenges, which may lead to a young person feeling that they don’t fit in or are misunderstood, which can be heightened by the pressures of social media. In 2017/18 Childline carried out 4,636 counselling sessions for loneliness, a 14% rise on the previous year.

There are many groups and organisations across Sefton working to give young people a sense of identity and connection with others. These include 0-19 support in our Family Wellbeing Centres and targeted support from Sefton’s youth workers for young people who typically experience social isolation like those who identify as LGBTQ+.

Disabled young people can turn to Sefton’s Aiming High for Disabled Children Service if they need additional support and guidance.

Each service provides opportunities for children and young people to share passions and experiences and in turn improve their health and wellbeing.

Another Sefton Council service being celebrated for the Year of Friendship is Be Active, which runs sessions every school holidays except for Christmas. The programme delivers a great range of activities to children aged 3-16 across Sefton, tackling isolation by helping children to keep active, have fun and make friends in a safe environment.

Activities range from all day camps for dance and multi-sport, to two-hour taster sessions including gymnastics, archery and fencing, and dodgeball, and pool parties at the swimming pools. Sessions take place at locations across the borough, including Litherland Sports Park, Dunes leisure centre, Meadows leisure centre, Crosby Lakeside, Crosby leisure centre and Netherton Activity centre.

The October programme will be available from the start of October. Find out more here.

For further information or to book any activities contact 0151 288 6286.

Business expert set to take up residency in The Atkinson to help drive local business growth

An Enterprise Hub business expert is set to take up a weekly residency at Southport Library, in The Atkinson, to help Sefton residents start and grow their new businesses.

This fully-funded business support is aimed at helping those in the Sefton area who are looking to start a business, or those who are looking to grow a new business which is under three years old.

Enterprise Hub is Liverpool City Region’s “one front door” access point for business support, offering clients a programme of 1-2-1 business support and advice, as well as access to training courses, to help develop their ideas and learn core business skills.

Enterprise expert Jacqueline Daley will be offering a number of 1-2-1 appointments every Thursday between 10am – 12pm at Southport Library in the iconic Atkinson building. Appointments should be pre-booked by those wishing to register onto the Enterprise Hub programme.

This support will help clients understand the process of starting or growing a business and to research and develop a business plan or growth strategy. Budding entrepreneurs will also be able to learn key skills to develop a sales and marketing strategy, as well as understanding the everyday practicalities of running a business and looking at ways of accessing finance.

The new outreach appointments will mean those with a business idea can receive support on their doorstep, without having to travel to Enterprise Hub’s Liverpool City Centre base.

Jackie Williams, Enterprise Hub Project Manager and Enterprise Director at Liverpool social enterprise The Women’s Organisation, says: “We’re delighted to be bringing Enterprise Hub straight to the Sefton community at Southport Library to give local people that all-important helping hand and confidence boost to pursue or develop a business dream.

“We would highly encourage anyone who is either sat on an idea they’d like to explore or has a new business that is ready to grow, to get in touch and see how we can help. The community here is always brimming with entrepreneurial spirit and ideas, so we’re excited to see what is in store!”

Vicki Rutland, at The Atkinson, says: “We are delighted to welcome the expertise of Enterprise Hub into The Atkinson and hope this new partnership will be of immense benefit to the residents of Sefton.”

The support and training is available fully-funded under the Enterprise Hub programme, which is receiving funding from the European Regional Development Fund.

Eligibility criteria does apply and Enterprise Hub support is available to men and women living in the Liverpool City Region, who have not yet registered with Companies House or HMRC, or any business under three years old in the Liverpool City Region.

Those who would like to take advantage of the drop-in at The Atkinson should pre-book by calling 0151 706 8113 or e-mailing enterprisehub@thewo.org.uk to register for the programme.

Search Box