Please follow & like us

Household Waste Recycling Centres to stay open during second national lockdown

Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority has confirmed that it plans to keep all of its Household Waste Recycling Centres, including those at Formby, Sefton Meadows and South Sefton open and operational through the next national lockdown period, starting on Thursday 5th November.

All of them will be open seven days a week in line with the winter opening times of 8am to 5pm.

Booking systems are in place for all cars and vans at the Sefton Meadows, Formby and Rainhill sites. People can book an appointment online at www.merseysidewda.gov.uk.

The Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority will keep these arrangements under constant review depending upon developing local and national guidance, and any changes in coronavirus legislation.

Access restrictions will remain in place to control visitor numbers on site at any time and to ensure appropriate social distancing and safety for members of the public and staff.

Members of the public are asked to only visit one of the Centres if absolutely essential at this time.

The Authority’s website at www.merseysidewda.gov.uk will be updated with any new information and updates will be posted via @MerseysideRWA

Marine Lake Events Centre Set For Southport

A brand new, 1200-seater, first class events space is being planned for Southport.

The Marine Lake Events Centre (a working title suggested by one of the 300-plus schoolchildren who responded to the targeted consultation on the project) will provide Southport with a flexible events space targeted at the mid-sized conferencing market, but with particular emphasis on the e-sports market.

As one of the Southport students said, “making Southport cool”.

Plans for new Southport Marine Lake Events Centre, artist impression

Cllr Ian Maher, Leader of Sefton Council, said: “The existing Southport Theatre and Convention Centre has a long and proud history and is an asset that stirs great passion among Sandgrounders, in an incredible location in town, but in need of radical transformation of the building and its offer.

“But the venue closed earlier this year due to the Coronavirus pandemic, so this project would redevelop the site creating a new events complex with state-of-the-art technical facilities, to attract a wide range of different types of entertainment events and audiences to Southport.”

Artist impression of e-sports event at Marine Lake Events Centre proposed Southport Town Deal PlansThe auditorium will also be suitable for large conferences, supported by a fully flexible and sub-divisible spaces, a 1,500 m2 exhibition space capable of hosting over 3,000 people for major esports events, and designed to continue to accommodate the type of community-led events currently held in the Floral Hall.

A fully accessible new pier, extending the connections from the Upper Promenade, through the atrium to the Marine Lake, completed by a floor lighting feature at the end, will connect with the spectacular Light Fantastic installation also proposed via the Town Deal.  These two spectacular projects together form a proposition and a destination unique to the UK leisure and conferencing markets, which it is hoped will drive increased visitor numbers, both day and staying.

What Southport Town Deal Marine Lake Events Centre might look like

Creating over 230 new jobs in the town (plus an additional 160 in its construction) the venue will bring a major boost to Southport’s economy, attracting more than 300,000 new visitors to Southport every year, including more than 100,000 from outside the Liverpool City Region.

Cllr Maher continued: “The project is the centrepiece of the Town Deal bid submitted to government on 30th October by the Southport Town Deal board, given the board’s recognition of its importance to the local economy and its prominence in the consultation and engagement feedback.  It will also be a catalyst for wider investment and development, as evidenced by Go Surf’s vision for the Southport Cove project announced last week.

“Feedback on the Town Deal bid is expected in the New Year.”

A world class venue, with sustainability at its heart, the building will be BREEAM Excellent.

More information about the Southport Town Deal is available here.

Sefton libraries publish WWII booklet in aid of Poppy Appeal

Sefton Council’s Library Service is marking this year’s 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War with the publication of a special booklet that unearths incredible stories from across the Borough during the war years.

The new publication Sefton at War: World War Two has been created by library staff who searched through the archives to discover more about Sefton’s role during this period.

Created to coincide with Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day, the booklet is now available to buy online forms.sefton.gov.uk/LibraryPublications/. The booklet will cost £3 (plus postage) with £1 from every sale going to the Royal British Legion’s Poppy Appeal.

Readers will discover how World War II came to the docks, streets, beaches and rural fields of the area that would later become Sefton.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said: “During such a poignant year that commemorates 75 years since the end of the Second World War, I am proud to see that Sefton Library Service has brought together this compelling booklet, which pays tribute to the service and sacrifice of those who served and lived through the conflict.”

Contained in the booklet are stories of Crosby’s coastline defences and the Polish airmen who made the ultimate sacrifice defending our skies. It explains how Maghull and Aintree welcomed American servicemen and the families of Polish military personnel and tells how Southport played host to Government departments forced out of London by bombing in the capital.

And it reflects on Bootle’s resilience withstanding some of the worst destruction in the country and on Formby’s remarkable civilian endeavour in drawing the enemy’s fire and taking in evacuees.

Every school in Sefton has been gifted a copy of the book for their school libraries so that children can discover the Borough’s important wartime history.

A grant from the Heritage Lottery fund enabled Sefton Libraries to produce the booklet.

Find out more about libraries across Sefton here: www.sefton.gov.uk/libraries

Excited sandgrounders help launch Southport Town Deal

A host of Southport residents and businesses have come together to mark the launch of the Southport Town Deal in a special video.

The Southport Town Deal board have today released a video showcasing some of Southport’s main attractions and highlighting the potential of its business and visitor economy. The video also stars a host of Sandgrounders spanning a number of generations to welcome the bid.

Produced by Sefton Council, the film brings together local businesses, students and residents to celebrate the launch of Southport’s bid for government Town Deal funding, worth £50 million for the future transformation and regeneration of the resort.

The bid itself focuses on visitor attractions, water sports, business spaces, water shows and a new events space.

The funding will pave the way for Southport to transform its fortunes and maximise the great potential it has to offer; the bid is hoping to attract a wider £400 million investment.

The bid is part of the government’s Town Deals Fund, developed to ‘level up’ and drive the economic regeneration of towns across England.

Rob Fletcher, Chair of the Town Board said: ““Our plan has been informed by the biggest conversation that the town has ever had about its future. We’ve had 7,000 pieces of individual feedback from residents, business and visitors. 700 school children from the town have also put their ideas forward. Our plan is designed to provide opportunities for our current residents and future generations.”

Dwayne Johnson, Chief Executive at Sefton Council, said: “The Town Deal process has raised the profile of Southport with investors and we can already see the positive effect it is having. For example, Sefton Council has just announced an exclusivity agreement with GoSurf to create The Southport Cove Resort. This £40m privately financed investment will bring a unique surf wave pool and wellness and spa facilities to the heart of the town. The resort will add value to our Town Deal plan and complement our proposed projects, such as the convention and events centre and Marine Lake experience.”

A decision on the funding is expected early 2021 and further details of projects will be released in the next few weeks.

Sefton to broadcast virtual 2020 Remembrance Service

Sefton will once again pay tribute to those who have given their life during conflict, with a special virtual Remembrance broadcast this coming weekend.

While traditional Remembrance services across Merseyside are unable to take place due to Covid-19 restrictions, the local authority will pay tribute to members of the Armed Forces past and present on Sunday, November 8.

Wreaths will be laid at war memorials across the borough by representatives from Sefton Council, including the Mayor of Sefton, the Leader of the Council, Cabinet Members and ward councillors.

A special recorded broadcast, produced by Sefton Council, will be shown across the local authority’s social media channels from 10.58am on Remembrance Sunday. A minute’s silence will then follow.

Members of the public are encouraged to join this virtual tribute and will be able to share personal tributes in the comments section.

Cllr June Burns, Mayor of Sefton Council, said: “While the traditional service we are all used to may not be able to be held in earnest, we will still be actively paying tribute to those who have given their lives to protect our freedoms.

“We encourage everyone across the borough to join in with our online broadcast and take part in the minute’s silence.

“While we understand there is a desire to pay physical tribute on the day, we would ask that partners, members of the Armed Forces community and residents adhere to those restrictions which have been put in place across the Liverpool City Region to keep us all safe.”

The recorded broadcast will be available to watch on Sefton Council’s Youtube, Twitter and Facebook platforms and a copy of the broadcast will remain available for those who are unable to watch live.

/Ends

Search Box