Sefton Council is supporting Bates Farms and Dairy Ltd to expand its business operations in Southport’s Birkdale area.
Subject to the Company obtaining planning permission, the Council will sell 0.75 acres of its freehold land at Broome Road to the Company. This will enable Bates’ to meet its need to create a larger yard for storage and existing delivery vehicles.
Cllr Marion Atkinson Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills said: “By making this land available to Bates Dairy, the Council would be supporting the growth of a family firm that has been in Southport for over 80 years and which provides a milk delivery service to thousands of local people, while providing 104 jobs within the local community.
“The ability to expand on the site will help secure local employer Bates’ future in the town and will mean the Company can invest and grow.
“Plus, the extra space will mean fewer on-site vehicle movements, which will benefit local residents.”
Part of a 22-acre, Council owned site at former Isle of Wight Farm, the land is identified in the Local Plan as a possible area for housing. Bates’ proposals for a small part of that area include the erection of a single-storey unit. Requirements for the development would include the Dairy erecting acoustic fencing were needed and plans to deal with any resulting increase in surface water run-off.
Local residents would have an opportunity to have their say on the proposed expansion through the Council’s planning application process.
Sefton Council is pledging its support for White Ribbon Day today (Wednesday, November 25) to highlight the plight of people suffering domestic abuse in the Borough and beyond.
As part of White Ribbon Day, a global movement working to end male violence against women and girls, the Council is re-affirming its commitment to safeguarding anyone at risk of abuse and reminding residents of the support services in place.
In 2019, an estimated 2.4 million adults aged 16 to 74 experienced domestic abuse in England and Wales**, and cases have increased globally during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Today, Wednesday November 25, Sefton Council is sending out a clear message to anyone experiencing domestic abuse in the Borough – ‘you are not alone, and you don’t have to suffer in silence’.
Sefton Council Chief Executive, Dwayne Johnson, said: “No-one should have to endure any form of domestic abuse, at any time of their life.
“This issue has been particularly concerning during the COVID-19 pandemic, which has seen wives, husbands, partners and families spending more time together than they ever would.
“This, coupled with anxiety and stress over things like job losses, has heightened tensions in the family unit. However, there can be no excuse for domestic abuse.
“Here at Sefton Council, we do not tolerate any kind of domestic abuse and we have processes in place to help safeguard people and help ensure it does not happen. Where it does, we will provide help, support and guidance to people and families.”
Earlier this year, Sefton Council joined partner organisations across the Liverpool City Region to launch a domestic abuse campaign telling anyone experiencing abuse during the Coronavirus pandemic: #YouAreNotAlone.
Led by Merseyside Resilience Forum and Wirral Council, the multi-agency initiative aims to raise awareness, remind those experiencing abuse that support is still available, and encourage victims to report incidents to the police.
In 2019, an estimated 2.4 million adults aged 16 to 74 experienced domestic abuse in England and Wales.
Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said: “Domestic abuse is never acceptable in any circumstance, regardless of age or gender.
“It is vital that we reassure people who are silently suffering or concerned for their safety that they are not alone, and that people in their communities care about them and are looking out for them.
“There are support services in place to help and we urge anyone who is experiencing abuse, or who knows of someone who is, to get in touch immediately,”
As well as White Ribbon Day, November 25 is also International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, which traditionally heralds 16 days of activism against gender-based violence.
Individuals from organisations across Sefton will be sharing videos across the next 16 days to explain why they are making a stand against domestic abuse, and why they feel it is so important to pledge their support for the White Ribbon Day campaign.
People can visit Sefton Council’s Twitter feed and Facebook page to see the videos by following the hashtags #WhiteRibbonDay and #16Days.
** Data courtesy of Office for National Statistics.
Useful contacts
If you, your child or anyone in the family are at immediate risk of harm from any kind of abuse you should contact the police urgently on 999.
If you are a Sefton resident and are experiencing domestic abuse, or believe someone you know is, contact Sefton Council’s Independent Domestic Violence Advisors Team on 0151 934 5142 or email IDVA.Team@sefton.gov.uk
You can also contact Sefton Women’s and Children’s Aid on 0151 922 8606 or visit www.swaca.com
The National Domestic Violence Helpline is staffed 24 hours and can be reached at 0808 2000 247.
Bootle, Crosby, Southport and Waterloo have all been recognised by the North West in Bloom group despite the cancellation of this year’s usual judging.
Earlier this year it was confirmed that due to the ongoing restrictions with COVID-19, the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) had decided to cancel judging for this year’s regional in Bloom competitions.
However, residents across Sefton were not deterred by this news and when restrictions were lifted in June, volunteers returned to green spaces to showcase once again their gardening skills by maintaining flower beds and creating wonderful displays.
‘Stay Safe’ display in Southport
As a result, North West in Bloom has shared certificates of recognition for the creativity and ingenuity shown despite such testing times.
Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: “The Green Sefton team has been absolutely bowled over by the determination and commitment of our green-fingered community groups and volunteers who’ve still created such wonderful displays this year.
“Not only do their continued efforts help to make our Sefton greener, but they also help to bring communities together making them stronger and happier. We’ve all enjoyed spending time outdoors, perhaps more than ever this year, and having passionate gardeners across our Borough looking after our valued green spaces has really enhanced our time spent outdoors.”
Green Sefton – who help co-ordinate North West in Bloom within the Borough – are encouraging green-fingered residents to think ahead now to next year when it is hoped the North West in Bloom competition will go ahead.
Sefton Council have issued the following statement regarding Southport Skate Park following a number of comments online.
Cllr Ian Moncur, Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: “Let me be clear there are no plans at all to permanently close Southport Skate Park.
“On the contrary in fact, the council continues to invest in this much-loved community asset. However, our skate park is made up of 4 professional structures of a specialist construction and shaping, and of course since they were installed wear and tear has inevitably occurred which means that they will need to be replaced.
“We have already ordered four new ramp structures and while we await delivery and installation of these, we have temporarily closed the park to ensure no one is hurt.
“We expect all the work to be completed in January, usually the quietest time of the year for the skate park, meaning less disruption for users.
“I’m pleased to hear that local people feel so strongly about Southport Skate Park, and always welcome people’s views on the use of council facilities such as this. I’m glad that the skate park is valued by so many.”
“I must say, anyone who has ignored the very clear signage we have installed on the site and has taken it upon themselves to climb the fencing, determined to use the skate park while it’s closed, it is putting themselves at risk of injury and is behaving irresponsibly.
“Rest assured, once the brand-new ramps have been installed, Southport Skate Park will remain open for many more years to come.”
Plans have been revealed that are set to support Southport’s return to the grandeur of Victorian England, when it was the country’s second most popular tourist destination.
The project, dubbed “Les Transformations de Southport”, looks at interconnectivity across the whole town centre, from improved pedestrian and cycling routes in the town centre and waterfront, to the creation of new public spaces for hosting events.
A key proposal of the Southport Town Deal submission included a bid for funding to facilitate the early phases of this project, which could deliver around 30,000sqm of new, accessible, well-connected high-quality public spaces, providing priority for walking and cycling in support of clean growth. The first phase would include a new civic events space on Lord Street, and public realm enhancements in areas adjacent to the key strategic projects identified within the Town Deal bid.
Cllr Marion Atkinson, Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, explained: “While living in exile in Southport in 1838, Prince Louis Napoleon, later Emperor Napoleon III, was so inspired by the grandeur of Lord Street that he ordered Baron Haussmann to model the reconstruction of Paris on it. Les Transformations de Paris made the French capital the “Southport of the South”. Les Transformations de Southport will ensure we again fulfil the potential of our public realm spaces, on Lord Street and beyond.
“When we carried out our extensive consultation on the Southport Town Deal bid, the connection between Lord Street and the Promenade, the need for maintenance of existing infrastructure to create safe spaces accessible for all emerged strongly as priorities.”
The illumination of Lord Street, lighting within the landscape of the iconic town centre
Boulevard, will be a key feature of this exciting project, which aims to address connectivity and congestion issues between the seafront area, the town centre and the railway station, including elements of improved signage and wayfinding around the town.
The recently launched Southport Townscape Project (a partnership between the Council, Southport BID and the Heritage Lottery) recognises the links between Lord Street and the Promenade as an area of priority investment.
The hope is that this project will deliver significant improvements on key routes, providing an improved visitor experience on arrival and in the town centre, resulting in increased focus and footfall for the town centre.
Cllr Atkinson continued: “The town centre is dominated by north-south movements, particularly by vehicles, resulting in relatively poor (east-west) connectivity between the seafront area and the town centre and there are many competing demands for highway space which can be difficult to accommodate. The post Covid-19 decline in public transport use may also create additional pressure on the highway network to accommodate private vehicles.
“If we can address these issues, provide infrastructure which allows for more walking and cycling in the town centre, along with the associated health and well-being outcomes, it will provide an entirely different proposition for visitors, strengthening Southport’s vibrancy, attractiveness and accessibility, and enhancing visitor numbers.”
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.