Please follow & like us

Extra measures scaled back but vigilance still needed says Sefton’s Public Health boss

Responding to the announcement by the Government it is scaling back the extra measures that were put in place to combat the COVID Delta variant, Sefton Council’s Director of Public Health Margaret Jones has said people need to remain on their guard.

Protect each other

Image of Sefton's Director of Public Health, Margaret JonesMargaret Jones said: “It is clear that despite the Government’s lifting of most restrictions last week and the removal of these extra measures, we all need to remain vigilant if we are going to halt the current growth in COVID infections and protect each other.

“We all need to make sure we get both our vaccination jabs and I thank everyone who has already got theirs. We also all need to continue taking regular rapid tests even though we don’t have coronavirus symptoms. And we all need to continue isolating as soon as we’re we’re told to through Test and Trace or the NHS app.

“People can get vaccination jabs at walk-in locations across the Borough, free rapid tests are still widely available including from all Sefton pharmacies, and we are still running drive-through and walk-through centres for rapid and PCR tests.

“More information on all of these is available at www.sefton.gov.uk/covid19.”

Friday’s Government announcement said the package of additional support that has been in place in Sefton and across the Liverpool City Region and other areas will end. However, it said the Government will continue to work closely with local authorities to help them manage COVID-19 growth rates in their areas.

Concern

Mrs Jones said that she had noticed that many people across Sefton were continuing to show concern for others around them by still wearing masks in indoor spaces and maintaining social distancing.

She added: “I know that many people were concerned about the withdrawal of most restrictions last week and I think this is reflected by large numbers of people who are carrying on observing them voluntarily in order to keep themselves and those around them safe.”

North West RNLI in school holiday safety plea as youth rescue figures revealed

Stark figures released by the RNLI last week reveal lifeguards on the North West’s beaches assisted 2,314 children and 2,007 teenagers last summer – more casualties under the age of 18 than anywhere else in the UK and Ireland, including on the popular South West coast. Most of those offered help on the RNLI’s lifeguarded beaches in Sefton and the Wirral were simply out enjoying a walk and not expecting to even get their feet wet.

A total of 1,530 teenagers (aged 13-19) were assisted whilst out enjoying a stroll and 1,522 children (aged 1-12). This figure is markedly higher than anywhere else in the UK and Ireland. Those rescued in the walking category is significantly higher than all other activities including paddling where 23 children and 19 teens were rescued, with 62 children and 31 teens assisted by lifeguards whilst playing on the coast.

Now, with the school holidays underway, the charity and Her Majesty’s (HM) Coastguard are calling for families to take extra care at the coast.

Huddersfield mum Zoe Powell was enjoying a visit to Crosby beach with her family when son Monty, who was then 13, required help from RNLI lifeguards after becoming stuck in mud. She said: “Children are naturally inquisitive and looking for the next adventure, so the figures about the number of Under 18s rescued in the North West are not too surprising. Monty jumped off one of the outflow pipes into soft mud and quickly became stuck. One minute we were walking, the next he couldn’t move and had mud up to his knees. It can happen so very quickly and a simple day out can take a very unexpected turn.

“Luckily the two brilliant RNLI lifeguards who were on patrol saw the situation and came to help really quickly. I can imagine this summer will be exceptionally busy once the schools break and more people choosing to holiday in the UK. I’m really keen to share our family story to encourage others to just be that extra bit careful on the coast this summer.”

Crosby beach is a two and a half mile wide expanse of sand, mostly backed by promenade, with a one-mile tidal range. Many visitors come to see the popular Antony Gormley sculptures, which can be partially or totally submerged depending on the state of tide.

Crobsy is the only RNLI beach to be lifeguarded 365 days a year and is not the only location where tidal cut off is a common occurrence. Local search and rescue agencies continue to see a rise in incidents to people cut off by the tide and stuck in mud and requiring help from the RNLI on Wirral and in the wider Merseyside area.

RNLI statistics for the West region which includes the North West, show people enjoying a walk and getting cut off by the tide caused almost 10% of all RNLI lifeboat launches over the last decade – more than double the UK average.

With school children in England now on their summer holidays and joining those from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland already enjoying their school break, the RNLI and Coastguard are reminding them and their families how to stay as safe as possible when in and around the sea.

RNLI Water Safety Lead Chris Cousens says: “We see a big increase in the number of incidents involving children and teenagers during the school summer holidays and we would urge everyone – but families in particular – to be aware of the risks and know what to do in an emergency.

“Our main advice is to visit a lifeguarded beach and swim between the red and yellow flags. RNLI lifeguards will be patrolling around 245 beaches this summer to offer advice on how to stay safe and they are also there to help anyone who gets into trouble.

“We want people to enjoy the coast but urge everyone to respect the water, think about their own safety and know what to do in an emergency.”

The key summer safety advice is:

  • Visit a lifeguarded beach & swim between the red and yellow flags
  • If you get into trouble Float to Live – lie on your back and relax, resisting the urge to thrash about
  • Call 999 in an emergency and ask for the Coastguard

Council welcomes Government’s ‘pingdemic’ exemptions but awaits details

Cllr Ian Maher
Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher

Sefton Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher has welcomed the Government’s announcement that local government employees will be among those who can carry on working after being pinged by the COVID app, as long as they take daily tests.

Feeling effects

Cllr Ian Maher said: “Like companies and organisations across the country, Sefton Council is feeling the effects of the current ‘pingdemic’ which is seeing thousands of people being told to isolate through the NHS COVID app.

“With the recent growth in numbers of people infected because of the coronavirus Delta variant, many of the Council’s staff are currently isolating, which is continuing to have an effect on frontline services.

“With the Government finally announcing the list of those exempt from isolation, we can hopefully start to recover, although we are still waiting to hear the details of what roles are covered.”

The Government has said that exemptions will only apply to workers who are fully vaccinated and then, 14 days after their second coronavirus jab. They will apply until Monday 16th August when wider relaxations for fully vaccinated people are expected

Last night’s announcement by the Government warned “this is not a blanket exemption for all workers in a sector”. The exemptions “will not cover all or in most cases even the majority of workers in critical sectors” and only apply to those whose employer has received a letter on which they are is listed by name.

Rising sharply

Cllr Ian Maher said: “Despite the recent lifting of COVID restrictions by the Government, the Delta variant has meant numbers of cases have been rising sharply, in Sefton, on Merseyside and across the country.

“As with other sectors such as transport and supermarkets and food production, councils are being hit by the large numbers of people having to isolate and I am afraid this inevitably means services will be affected.

“Sefton Council employees have been working to support and protect our communities, our businesses and our vulnerable throughout the pandemic.

“Some have been able to continue working mainly from home while others have carried on as well providing frontline service such as bin collections, social services, care work and the protection of our unique environment. And teachers and other staff have been in Sefton’s schools throughout the pandemic for pupils who were unable to stay at home.

“Some staff have been temporarily transferred to other teams because they have been unable to carry on with their regular jobs due to closures. Instead they have worked in areas such as burials and cremations to ensure the continuation of those key services.

“I can assure Sefton’s residents, businesses and visitors that the Council will continue to deliver the services they rely on even though they may, temporarily, not be at the same high standards they quite rightly expect.”

Cllr Maher went on to say that while the number of employees being told to isolate through the COVID app was affecting Council services, they were doing ‘the right thing’ by following the guidance.

Vital

Cllr Maher continued: “For those of us not covered by these new exemptions it is vital that if we are pinged or contacted by test and trace, we continue to self-isolate.

“Like getting both vaccination jabs and continuing to take regular tests if you’ve not got symptoms, isolating when we’re told to, is vital to preventing the further spread of COVID in this latest peak of infections.

“And I have been pleased to see that, while the Government has removed most restrictions, many people across Sefton are continuing to show care and consideration for each other by wearing masks, maintaining social distancing and, I hope, washing their hands frequently and thoroughly.”

Find out more about COVID in Sefton.

More set to benefit from the Liverpool City Region’s digital skills programme

Liverpool City Region Combined Authority is now offering further free digital skills training for people looking for a career in the digital sector, and co-investment to help employers fill digital skills gaps.

More than 500 people, and 90 businesses, have already benefitted from the first round of training delivered through the Digital Skills for the Workplace programme, in areas including digital marketing, software development and cyber security.

Speaking about the training, Joanne Anderson, Mayor of Liverpool and Combined Authority Portfolio Holder for Education, Skills, Equality and Diversity, said:

“Investing in digital skills was crucial before the pandemic and as we look to rebuild our economy post-pandemic, as set out in the Metro Mayor’s manifesto, they will be more important than ever.  This is a perfect opportunity for people to learn a new skill, or build on the skills they already have, to boost their career prospects in this growing field.

“We know that local employers are crying out for people with these skills and making sure that our people have the right training will help them find work and succeed both now and in the future. I’d encourage employers and individuals alike to get in touch and find out more.”

Councillor Ian Maher, Combined Authority Portfolio Holder for Digital Connectivity and Inclusion, said:

“It’s fantastic news that we are able to support these courses and a great opportunity for residents and employers across the Liverpool City Region to take advantage of the high-quality training available.  Digital skills are increasingly invaluable and our digital and creative sector is one of our City Region’s success stories, that will help drive our economic recovery.

“I urge anyone who is interested to contact us and find out more, whether that’s about gaining new skills, improving your workforce’s skills, or getting involved as a training provider.”

The Liverpool City Region was one of the first of six areas nationally to introduce this digital skills training back in September 2020, aimed at helping participants gain jobs in the digital sector. A new round of training courses will be funded with a further ÂŁ1.2 million from the Department for Education.

The training on offer is delivered as flexible courses of up to 16 weeks, giving people the opportunity to build up sector-specific skills and fast-track to an interview with a local employer.

Liverpool City Region Combined Authority will offer the following courses:

  • Skills Bootcamp in Full Stack Web Development
  • Skills Bootcamp in Digital Marketing
  • Skills Bootcamp in Cyber Security
  • Skills Bootcamp in Digital Design
  • Skills Bootcamp in AutoCad
  • Skills Bootcamp in Software Developer/Engineer
  • Skills Bootcamp in Infrastructure Technician

The training is for adults aged 19 or over and who are either in work, self-employed, recently unemployed or returning to work after a break. Some Skills Bootcamps may have additional eligibility criteria. either employed, self-employed, unemployed within the last 12 months or those that are returning to the workplace.

The training is funded through the Skills Bootcamps scheme, which is part of the Government’s Lifetime Skills Guarantee and Plan for Jobs. It works in partnership with employers, providers and local authorities to help people develop the skills that are in demand in their local area so they can progress in the digital sector.

Janet Rach from Wirral was self-employed, and wanted to take her business online due to the pandemic. She completed one of the Skills Bootcamps courses and said:

“I had no confidence in running my business online and so the course I chose covered social media, digital marketing and building a website. It boosted my confidence to the point where I now know I can make something out of it for my business.”

Liverpool City Region Combined Authority now wants to hear from residents of the city region who are aspiring to gain a digital role and need the skills to do so, training providers and employers.  Employers can either work with the team to develop bespoke programmes for existing staff or those looking to recruit can offer interviews to newly-qualified learners with industry relevant digital skills.

To register your interest please visit https://www.liverpoolcityregion-ca.gov.uk/digital-skills-for-the-workplace/

Doors open on North West’s newest food & drink gem

Pizzas were baked, pies rose and ice creams were scooped as the first customers of the brand new Southport Market enjoyed its launch yesterday (Thursday, July 22).

Hundreds of Sangdrounders and tourists visited the refurbished market to sample mouth-watering delights and delicacies from around the world, with ten stalls and traders, as well as a feature bar and drinks space, to choose from.

Incredible mix

Southport Market is the North West’s newest food and drink experience. It combines an incredible mix of local talent from across the resort and an array of international delicacies at the heart of the town’s revamped market quarter.

The £1.4m scheme, which is a early success in Sefton Council’s Covid-19 recovery plan for Southport, also features a flexible events area able to host high-quality pop-up markets along with other events.

Outstanding venue

Cllr Marion Atkinson said: “Our new Southport Market is an outstanding venue that represents Sefton Council’s strong appetite for success.

“The wide range of high-quality food and drink on offer complements the rejuvenation of the market quarter and wider Southport town centre.

“Not only is this a much-needed addition to the hospitality on offer in Sefton but it also generates local jobs and provides a further boost to the economic fortunes of our Borough as we look to bounce back post-pandemic.

“Southport Market has something for everyone and already we have seen hundreds of happy diners and drinkers as we welcomed people here for the first time.

“Every single trader comes to the market with a passion and desire to succeed and we are incredibly confident Southport Market will very quickly become one of the North West’s best food & drink gems.”

Southport Market’s opening hours are

  • Wed 10-10
  • Thursday 10-10
  • Friday 10-11
  • Sat 10-11
  • Sunday 10-8

It is closed Mondays and Tuesdays.

For more information visit www.southportmarket.com

Southport Town Deal

In May, it was announced that Southport would receive ÂŁ37.5 million of Town Deal funding from the Government.

The key themes of the town’s Investment Plan are

  • Marine Lake Events Centre – transforming the existing Theatre and Convention Centre into a high quality, distinctive entertainment and business events venue.
  • The Light Fantastic – UK’s first light, water and sound show created in the Marine Lake.
  • Enterprise Arcade – refurbished Crown Buildings space for new business incubation and the town’s emerging creative, digital and tech sector.
  • Les Transformations de Southport – turning the streets that inspired Paris’s famous boulevards into high-quality public spaces, connected with an accessible and well-connected transport network
  • Building Better Customer Experience – to pull all these developments together and extend an even further welcome.

Find out more about the Southport Town Deal.

Search Box