Please follow & like us

Some reminders on how to break the habit in Sefton for national No Smoking Day

Road sign saying 'Quit Smoking'
(Alpha Stock Images – http://alphastockimages.com/)

To mark national No Smoking Day on Wednesday 8th March, Sefton Council is reminding people about Smokefree Sefton, which can help people across the Borough break the habit.

Anyone of any age

Anyone of any age who lives, works or studies in Sefton and wants to stop smoking can contact Smokefree Sefton or get a reference through their GP.

Support is also available to anyone, including parents and carers, who is concerned about young people who are smoking or vaping. Information and advice are available by telephone, text and email and there are resource packs as well as information for schools.

1-to-1 help

Young people can speak to specialist advisors and 1-to-1 help is available in in schools, youth clubs, sports clubs, or any venue that works with young people. There are also training sessions for people professionals who work with young people, so that they can offer advice.

You can find out more about Smokefree Sefton here.

The freephone number to call Smokefree Sefton is 0300 100 1000.

Life-saving lung check-up 

People aged 55 to 74 in south Sefton with a history of smoking and registered with a local GP surgery are being invited to take part in a ground-breaking lung check-up scheme, which has already saved hundreds of lives across England.

NHS England’s Lung Health Check programme, which targets those most at risk of lung cancer, has improved significantly the earlier detection of the disease. Within the Merseyside and Cheshire region, targeted lung health checks have identified 111 lung cancers so far, of which, 68.5% were at stage 1. This has enabled 74 people diagnosed with early-stage lung cancer to receive curative treatment.

Target

Cllr Moncur, Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing at Sefton Council said: “The Government has said that seven years from today’s No Smoking Day, in 2030, smoking prevalence in England will have been reduced to 5% of the adult population or below, but unfortunately the country will not reach that target until 2039.

“In Sefton, we are working to make every single day a No Smoking Day when someone gives up the habit. I know how difficult it is so would encourage people to find out more about the excellent range of support that is available through Smokefree Sefton.

“And I would also urge older, former smokers in the South Sefton area to take advantage of the NHS England’s Lung Health Check programme, even if they feel well. The vast majority of those who have a scan will be fine but for the few who do have something wrong, spotting it early can make all the difference.”

People can find out more about the Lung Health Check programme here. 

‘Living Well’ bus is returning to Sefton In March offering COVID vaccinations and free health checks

Living Well BusThe ‘Living Well’ bus is calling at Bootle, Birkdale and Litherland in March.

Catch up

During its visits, Sefton residents can catch a free NHS health check and catch up on first and second COVID-19 vaccines, as well as third primary doses for those who are immunosuppressed. Operating as a drop-in service, the bus offers a range of physical health checks, COVID-19 vaccinations, and referrals to talking therapies.

The bus will be at the following locations from 10:30am-4pm and no appointments are needed:

  • Tuesday 7 March – LIDL car park, Marsh Lane, Bootle, L20 5BQ
  • Saturday 18 March – Park Hotel, Weld Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 2ED
  • Friday 24 March – LIDL car park, Wellington Road, Litherland, Bootle, L21 6PD

You can find out more about the COVID-19 vaccine, who is eligible, and to book an appointment online or find other walk-in vaccination sites on the NHS website here.

Consistent care

The Living Well bus service, which is delivered by the Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. It was launched in June 2022 to offer a consistent health and care approach across communities across Cheshire and Merseyside. All activity is recorded and shared with your GP, ensuring ongoing understanding and support for your health is in place.

People can find out more about the service on the Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust website.

 

 

Tickets now on sale for amazing calendar of tourism events

Tickets are going on sale from today for an amazing 2023 calendar of events in Southport.

Thousands of people from across the region and beyond have the opportunity to snap up tickets for the amazing Southport Air Show and the British Musical Fireworks Championship, with both events taking place in the sunny seaside resort in September 2023.

Free entry

These annual events, hosted by Sefton Council, also include the Southport Food & Drink Festival in June, with entry to this mouth-watering event remaining completely free.

Tickets for both the Southport Air Show and the British Musical Fireworks Championship are expected to sell out fast.

This years British Musical Fireworks Championship will be held across two days, with six competitors fighting it out over a weekend to be crowned the very best of the best.

Returning competitors who were unable to perform last year due to bad weather, will take to the skies above Victoria Park.

Returning displays

AJ Pyrotechnics and Gala Fireworks will return and face off against Imperial Lotus, Sonic Fireworks, Celestial Firework Displays and Galaxy Fireworks to see who will be crowned the very best of the best.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, welcomed the news, saying: “We are incredibly delighted to be able to once again host our three flagship tourism events in 2023.

“Our Tourism team and partners have, as always, been working exceptionally hard to ensure we are able to once again bring this tantalising trio to Southport.

“Tickets are on sale from today (Monday, March 6th) for the thousands of people who adore our events and I urge you to get them now before they sell out

“Entry to the Southport Food & Drink Festival remains completely free.

“We’re also continuing to offer free entry to the Southport Air Show for anyone under the age of 16 and the British Musical Fireworks Championship for under the age of five.

Delighted

“We are delighted that we can provide such stunning high quality events for our residents and visitors, as well as complimenting an already bustling calendar of other major events like the Southport Flower Show, Southport Comedy Festival and much more!

“We can’t wait to welcome everyone back to our beautiful borough in 2023 and we look forward to seeing you very soon.”

Dates for the three events are as follows:

  • Southport Food & Drink Festival: June 2 – 4th
  • Southport Air Show: September 9 – 10th
  • British Musical Fireworks Championship: September 22 – 23rd

For more information and to keep up to date on the latest events in Southport, visit www.visitsouthport.com.

Council urging parents & carers of children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) to take part in survey

Send Survey flyerSefton Council and its partners are asking parents and carers of children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) to take part in a survey to help improve services.

Feedback

Feedback collected through the survey will be used to review and improve Education, Health and Social Care services provided for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities in Sefton.

Parents and carers taking part in the survey, which is carried out annually, are asked to say what they feel about services overall and how they compare to last year.

The survey, which takes between around 10 to 15 minutes to complete, can be found on Sefton Council’s consultation website at https://yourseftonyoursay.sefton.gov.uk.

There is also an explanation of how the survey works and what it is for.

Also, parents and carers taking part in the survey have the option to be entered into a prize draw. Winners will be randomly selected to win one of three, ÂŁ50 shopping vouchers.

Send Survey flyerBetter services for the future

Cllr Diane Roscoe, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Education said: “I would urge parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities to take part in this year’s survey because it is their views and feedback that helps us shape better services for the future.

“And as well as helping develop improvements for their children’s future they also get the chance to enter a draw to win one of three £50 prizes.”

People who would prefer to give their feedback by telephone can arrange to do so by calling 0151 934 3733 to arrange a suitable time. They will then get a call-back at the arranged time, between 10am and 3pm Monday to Friday.

After the survey has closed on Friday 31st March, the responses will be analysed and shared with Sefton’s SEND Continuous Improvement Board, which is made up of representatives from the council, health and other services and organisations.

You can find the survey here.

You said… We did

Here are a few examples of changes made as a result of previous surveys.

You Said: “There needs to be more awareness of the Preparation for Adulthood Guide, parent/carer and young people need to be involved in the transition process, there is a delay to reviews and not all staff attend the review meetings.”

We Did: “We developed a Preparation for Adulthood Guide that has been sent to all schools and providers to be shared at Education, Health and Care plan reviews from year 9 onwards and it is on the Local Offer.

You Said: “There needs to be more support and guidance after autism spectrum disorder (ASD) diagnosis, shorter waiting time, information about services and support available.”

We Did: “Alder Hey provide information about the post diagnostic offer on their website and the Children with Complex Care team have supported the Parent Carer Forum to secure a venue, at the Cambridge Wellbeing Centre in Bootle, from which they can offer their services, which include informing parents about the social care services available to families”

You can find the survey here.

 

 

Council Leader’s 2023/24 Budget Statement

Cllr Ian Maher
Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher

After tonight’s annual budget meeting at which Sefton Council agreed a Council Tax rise of 4.99%, which will mean an extra £1.51 per week for properties in Band C, Sefton Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher said:

“Tonight, we have set a budget that focuses on Sefton’s future and the futures of our Borough’s young people.

“It reflects our commitment to investing the cash needed to meet the unprecedented demand on Children’s Social Care and to delivering the recommendations of OFSTED and the Commissioner.

Additional £10m-plus funding for Children’s Social Care

“And it builds on the additional £10m-plus funding we have committed to our Children’s Social Care services since 2021 for developments and improvements that are already well underway.

“We will be raising Council Tax by 4.99%.  “As a result, at Sefton Council, we will be able to continue providing the vital functions and support so many in our communities rely on, expect and deserve.”

Cllr Maher confirmed that a number of costs including those for using the Council’s car parks and residential parking would go up but that the overall rise would be less than inflation.

Decorative ImageBelow inflation rise

He continued: “Prices at our Leisure Centres are going up but recognising the importance of those services to people’s physical and mental health, we have also kept that rise below the level of inflation.

“The budget we have agreed tonight also recognises the importance of funding the growing need for adult social care presented by our ageing population.”

Cllr Maher said that all departments had taken budget cuts to ensure the Council’s ongoing investment in services for Sefton’s children and young people. He added there would be no job cuts or redundancies required by the Authority, which is one of the Borough’s largest employers.

Better results

He said: “I would like to thank the Council’s officers who, for yet another year, have succeeded in achieving better results for more people despite fewer resources, and for the transparent budget management process which sees us receive honest and open updates each month at our Cabinet meetings.”

Cllr Maher also urged people who are struggling to pay their Council Tax or other bills to contact the Council for support.

Partners

He said: “This winter we have had to work with our partners to provide a network of places in Sefton where people can go to keep warm.

“And we are seeing a steep rise in the numbers of people contacting the Council seeking support.

“As well as the Council Tax Relief scheme, we have the Emergency Limited Assistance Scheme, or ELAS, to meet people’s one-off needs and the Household Support Fund to provide financial support to Sefton residents struggling to afford energy, food and water bills.

“Anyone who is struggling should visit www.sefton.gov.uk/cost-of-living or call our Contact Centre on 0345 140 0845.”

You can find out more about the Council’s budget and spending here.

Search Box