Hundreds of Sangdrounders and tourists visited the refurbished market to sample mouth-watering delights and delicacies from around the world, with ten stalls and traders, as well as a feature bar and drinks space, to choose from.
Southport Market is the North West’s newest food and drink experience. It combines an incredible mix of local talent from across the resort and an array of international delicacies at the heart of the town’s revamped market quarter.
The £1.4m scheme, which is a early success in Sefton Council’s Covid-19 recovery plan for Southport, also features a flexible events area able to host high-quality pop-up markets along with other events.
Cllr Marion Atkinson said: “Our new Southport Market is an outstanding venue that represents Sefton Council’s strong appetite for success.
“The wide range of high-quality food and drink on offer complements the rejuvenation of the market quarter and wider Southport town centre.
“Not only is this a much-needed addition to the hospitality on offer in Sefton but it also generates local jobs and provides a further boost to the economic fortunes of our Borough as we look to bounce back post-pandemic.
“Southport Market has something for everyone and already we have seen hundreds of happy diners and drinkers as we welcomed people here for the first time.
“Every single trader comes to the market with a passion and desire to succeed and we are incredibly confident Southport Market will very quickly become one of the North West’s best food & drink gems.”
Southport Market’s opening hours are
- Wed 10-10
- Thursday 10-10
- Friday 10-11
- Sat 10-11
- Sunday 10-8
It is closed Mondays and Tuesdays.
For more information visit www.southportmarket.com
Southport Town Deal
In May, it was announced that Southport would receive £37.5 million of Town Deal funding from the Government.
The key themes of the town’s Investment Plan are
- Marine Lake Events Centre – transforming the existing Theatre and Convention Centre into a high quality, distinctive entertainment and business events venue.
- The Light Fantastic – UK’s first light, water and sound show created in the Marine Lake.
- Enterprise Arcade – refurbished Crown Buildings space for new business incubation and the town’s emerging creative, digital and tech sector.
- Les Transformations de Southport – turning the streets that inspired Paris’s famous boulevards into high-quality public spaces, connected with an accessible and well-connected transport network
- Building Better Customer Experience – to pull all these developments together and extend an even further welcome.