Please follow & like us

Exciting Enterprise Hub plans revealed for historic Southport building

New life is set to be breathed into one of Southport’s most historic buildings as Sefton look to launch the town’s first ever purpose built workspace for start-up businesses.

Sefton Council’s Cabinet will meet next week where they are expected to formally approve plans to transform the Crown Buildings in Southport town centre into a high tech, collaborative and affordable workspace for small businesses, dubbed the ‘Enterprise Arcade.’

Forming part of the Southport Town Deal, £1.5 million has been earmarked for the regeneration and transformation of Crown Buildings, eventually creating a purpose built 15,000sq ft hub for individuals, freelancers, enterprises, and independent professionals who are taking their first steps into setting up their own business.

The Enterprise Arcade project is yet another cornerstone in the Southport Town Deal programme, reaffirming the commitment of Sefton Council and its partners to kickstart the previously untapped digital, creative and technological sectors within the resort.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “This is a key project for the regeneration and economic diversification of Southport’s economy.

“The Enterprise Arcade will incorporate Crown Buildings, vacant retail units on the ground floor of Eastbank Street and adjoining office space above.

“Nationally we are seeing a move away from traditional working environments and more and more people are embracing flexible and hybrid work opportunities.

“Our Enterprise Arcade will be the ideal location for a whole host of start-up and growing businesses and individuals, whether they be in the early incubator stages of developing their brand or simply in need of flexibility and an agile approach to their working practices.

“Furthermore the Enterprise Arcade will be able to collaborate and integrate with the already exceptional cultural and educational services provided at The Atkinson, promoting and supporting the development of a focused creative and digital sector in the heart of Southport town centre.”

Liverpool based architects K2 have been appointed to develop the feasibility designs for the Enterprise Arcade space. Procurement for detailed design work will commence later this year.

Sefton Council’s Cabinet will meet on Thursday, October 7to discuss the proposals and next steps for this exciting project.

Sefton student with learning disabilities encourages teens to get vaccinated

Emma James-Jenkinson, a performing arts student from Sefton, made headlines with the story of her first COVID-19 vaccination earlier this year. Now after her second jab, Emma wants others to know how she made her decision to get vaccinated, encouraging others to do the same.

Emma, 18, who has Down’s syndrome had anxiety about getting her first COVID-19 vaccination but with support from North Park Health Centre in Bootle and NHS South Sefton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), she faced her fears and used some creative methods like singing songs from her favourite musical ‘Hamilton’ to keep calm and get her first jab.

She has since returned to have her second vaccine, with further support from the team at North Park Health Centre who even gave Emma a special gift of a personalised pink tote bag to celebrate her fully vaccinated status.

Emma and her mum, Lynn James-Jenkinson believe that the COVID-19 vaccine is the best way to get protected against the disease, but they were both keen to make sure that Emma was able to make her own decision on getting vaccinated.

Lynn said: “Emma researched information about the vaccines in a way that was accessible to her, through easy read materials and informational videos, and reasonable adjustments were made to provide the support she wanted to make her choice, and to get both of her jabs.

“She made her own decision to get vaccinated and wants to encourage other teenagers, especially those with learning disabilities, to find out the facts and make the right choice for them.”

Emma said: “I spent weeks reading the information and talking to some of my friends who I trust, about getting the vaccines.

“Some of my other friends did not want to get vaccinated, but I decided that it was the best way for me to stay safe. I hope that other people like me will look at the facts and decide to get themselves protected too.

“Since getting fully vaccinated, some of my close friends tested positive for COVID-19, but I did not catch it and tested negative both times, so I feel happier knowing I am safe and protected.”

Cathy Riley, former COVID-19 site manager and practice manager at North Park Health Centre, said: “It’s great to see young people like Emma actively finding out information about the vaccines and making the decision to get protected, for themselves and for those around them.”

“It was a pleasure to help support Emma to get her jabs, our team were delighted to celebrate her fully vaccinated status with a gift that she can proudly show off to her friends at college.”

 

Teenagers aged 16+ are now able to get their COVID-19 vaccines at sites across Sefton.

To find a walk-in vaccination site or to book a COVID-19 vaccination appointment when you are eligible, please visit the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/

For more information on the COVID-19 vaccination programme in Sefton, visit the CCG websites: www.southseftonccg.nhs.uk / www.southportandformbyccg.nhs.uk

Afghan appeal clothing banks filled to capacity

A group of people of mixed races at a table learning EnglishThousands of kind-hearted and generous residents have pulled together to donate to the Sefton Afghan Appeal to help those families who will be settling in the borough across the coming weeks and months.

Sheer generosity

The sheer generosity of communities across Sefton has in fact been so overwhelming that all eight donation points are now at maximum capacity and can no longer receive clothing donations.

Monetary donations are still being gratefully received and the Sefton Afghan Appeal online hub remains live for anyone who wishes to selflessly contribute to helping displaced families

Over £3,000 has already been donated and organisers are seeing this figure claim each day, showing an unwavering support for those who have been forced to flee their homeland.

Despite only launching at the start of September, the Borough-wide appeal has seen all eight donation drop-off points filled to capacity.

Welcoming and caring

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said: “We are all too aware of the devastation and conflict taking place right now in Afghanistan and, like many others across the UK, we are doing all we can in Sefton to help support displaced families who have been forced to flee their homeland.

“Sefton’s communities have once again shown just how welcoming and caring we are as a Borough and we are delighted with the amount of clothing donations we have received.

“As a council, we offered eight of its buildings to act as donation points for the appeal and to have them filled within just a few weeks is an incredible feat.

“Nevertheless, we are continuing to work closely with partners to ensure we are doing everything in our power to help.

“Please, if you can afford to do so, give generously to our online financial appeal and lend your support to these families many of whom have arrived with very few belongings but the clothes they are wearing.”

Fantastic response

Angela White OBE, Chief Executive at Sefton CVS, added: “On behalf of Sefton CVS and Sefton4Good, I would like to thank everyone who has donated valuable funds or newly-bought items to support the Sefton Afghan Appeal over recent weeks.

“We have received a fantastic response from local residents and organisations who have helped to raise over £3,000 so far which will enable us to provide bespoke items to directly support Afghan families arriving in Sefton.

“We will be continuing our online fundraising for the Sefton Afghan Appeal, but due to the overwhelming generosity of local residents we are unable to accept any further donations of clothing or goods at this time”

For more information regarding the Sefton Afghan Appeal or to donate, please visit www.sefton4good.org.uk.

For all enquiries about the Sefton Afghan Appeal, please email afghanappeal@seftoncvs.org.uk.

Bavarian bonanza takes over Southport Market

A Bavarian bonanza has taken over Southport Market for the venue’s inaugural Oktoberfest celebration.

Running until Sunday, September 26th, a cultural delight of entertainment, food and drink will be the first of many special Oktoberfest celebrations planned to take place annually at Southport Market.

Speciality German beer will be sold at the Market bar and food stall traders are encouraged to create limited edition Bavarian inspired dishes to compliment the amazing food offer already up for grabs.

To round off the celebrations, the world famous Bavarian Stompers Band will be performing twice on Sunday afternoon at 2pm and 4pm to entertain crowds on their way to the finale of the nearby British Musical Fireworks Championship.

The 2021 Southport Market Oktoberfest will be a pre-cursor to an even bigger Bavarian extravaganza to coincide with the launch of the market’s exclusive as yet unseen events space in later in the year.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “This weekend is going to be a bumper one for Southport and Sefton’s economy with thousands of people enjoying the very best events and entertainment in the North West.

“Not only do we have the famous British Musical Fireworks Championship wowing the crowds in Victoria Park from Friday to Sunday, but we have been exceptionally busy behind the scenes bringing pop-up events to Southport Market.

“This week sees the forerunner to our planned annual Oktoberfest Extravaganza event at the Market Events Space, as we put together an exciting five days of Bavarian delights, topped off with amazing performances by the world renowned Stompers!

“Once we launch our Events Space later in the year, we will be able to put on even bigger and varied celebrations to compliment the incredible successes that Southport Market is already enjoying.”

A number of general admission tickets are still available for all three nights of the British Musical Fireworks Championship, starting from £6, with seated tickets starting from £20. For further details and to book tickets head to www.visitsouthport.com.

Speak to your doctor for a life changing Active Lifestyle referral

Sefton’s Active Lifestyles Team are encouraging people across the borough who may benefit from a series of health and wellbeing programmes to access their services.

The Active Lifestyles Programme, delivered by Active Sefton, run a series of services designed to help residents prevent falls, lose weight, improve their nutrition and physical activity levels and manage health conditions by adopting a healthy lifestyle.

Residents across Sefton who think they would see an improvement in their overall health and wellbeing by joining the Active Lifestyles Programme are being asked to access the services either through registering themselves or arranging a referral through their GP Surgery.

There are four main services, all led by qualified professionals in safe and secure environments.

The Exercise Referral Programme – aimed at people aged 16 and above and designed for people who may be overweight or obese or have health conditions that would improve by taking part in a healthy lifestyle. It includes a 12-week subsidised, supported programme of physical activity, ranging from gym-based sessions, swimming, exercise classes, walking and cycling groups, through to community-based activities, as well as a full health screening before, during and after, including blood pressure, weight and waist circumference checks.

Weigh Forward Weight Management Programme – Our brand-new Weigh Forward programme has been specially designed to reduce the confusion surrounding nutrition and is available to anybody who would like to improve their weight. Suitable for anybody over the age of 16 years who may be overweight or obese, the free 6-week programme is available through friendly group or 1-1 sessions and can be accessed both virtually and face to face.

MOVE IT – This free healthy lifestyle programme is for children who are above ideal weight and their families. MOVE IT is a fun way to learn about leading a healthy lifestyle and eating the right foods to help maintain a healthy weight. Available for children aged 5-16 and their families/guardians, we can work together to learn about healthy weight maintenance in a fun and exciting way over a 6-week period.

Active Ageing – This falls prevention programme is available for residents aged 60 and over who are at risk of a fall or who have suffered a fall in the last 12 months. The free programme offers strength and balance exercises to help reduce the likelihood of a fall, as well as helping minimise any impact of injury in the event of a fall.
The overall aim is to provide the tools to help encourage continued daily activities and maintain independence. The service also looks to improve confidence, builds friendships, improves mental wellbeing, encourages good nutrition, alongside making residents aware of lots of services available in the community to further support.

NHS Health Checks – If you’re aged between 40 and 74, you may be eligible for a FREE NHS Health Check that can help you live a longer and healthier life by picking up early on signs of conditions that can then be prevented such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and kidney disease, with discussion and signposting on to services that can help improve health and wellbeing.

For more information or to find out if you may be eligible to access services without a GP referral, please contact Active Lifestyles on Active.lifestyles@sefton.gov.uk or call 0151 934 2352.

Search Box