Please follow & like us

Exciting Enterprise Hub plans revealed for historic Southport building

New life is set to be breathed into one of Southport’s most historic buildings as Sefton look to launch the town’s first ever purpose built workspace for start-up businesses.

Sefton Council’s Cabinet will meet next week where they are expected to formally approve plans to transform the Crown Buildings in Southport town centre into a high tech, collaborative and affordable workspace for small businesses, dubbed the ‘Enterprise Arcade.’

Forming part of the Southport Town Deal, ÂŁ1.5 million has been earmarked for the regeneration and transformation of Crown Buildings, eventually creating a purpose built 15,000sq ft hub for individuals, freelancers, enterprises, and independent professionals who are taking their first steps into setting up their own business.

The Enterprise Arcade project is yet another cornerstone in the Southport Town Deal programme, reaffirming the commitment of Sefton Council and its partners to kickstart the previously untapped digital, creative and technological sectors within the resort.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “This is a key project for the regeneration and economic diversification of Southport’s economy.

“The Enterprise Arcade will incorporate Crown Buildings, vacant retail units on the ground floor of Eastbank Street and adjoining office space above.

“Nationally we are seeing a move away from traditional working environments and more and more people are embracing flexible and hybrid work opportunities.

“Our Enterprise Arcade will be the ideal location for a whole host of start-up and growing businesses and individuals, whether they be in the early incubator stages of developing their brand or simply in need of flexibility and an agile approach to their working practices.

“Furthermore the Enterprise Arcade will be able to collaborate and integrate with the already exceptional cultural and educational services provided at The Atkinson, promoting and supporting the development of a focused creative and digital sector in the heart of Southport town centre.”

Liverpool based architects K2 have been appointed to develop the feasibility designs for the Enterprise Arcade space. Procurement for detailed design work will commence later this year.

Sefton Council’s Cabinet will meet on Thursday, October 7to discuss the proposals and next steps for this exciting project.

Have your say on Crosby Town Centre Regeneration proposals

Residents, businesses and visitors are being invited to have their say on proposals to develop Crosby’s town centre.

Sefton Council has launched a public consultation on proposals to regenerate Crosby. Among the proposals are new access routes and highway improvements ahead of developments on the Green Car Park site. In addition, there will be improvements to other car parks and junctions in the town as well as better access for people walking and cycling.

Crosby Town Centre map outlining proposed improvementsCooksland and Allengate car parks will have new layouts, better utilising space and increasing the number of spaces available. The car parks will be future-proofed to include electric vehicle charging spaces and easy pedestrian routes will be created to connect the car parks with the town centre high street.

Also, the junction of the A565 Liverpool Road / The By-Pass and the B5193 Islington / Coronation Road / Church Road junction will be reconfigured to enable traffic to move more freely around the edge of the town centre and access parking.

Cllr Maher, Sefton Council Leader said:
“This is an exciting step in the regeneration of Crosby town centre and the delivery of the Crosby Investment Strategy. Our plans will help to ensure Crosby’s historic town centre is a vibrant and diverse place to live, work and visit.

“The Council has an ongoing commitment to supporting the community, listening to valued feedback, and working and living among the community so we are already well aware of how much this regeneration plan is needed to boost south Sefton.

“I strongly encourage people to take part in the public consultation and have their say on the future development of Crosby town centre.”

A plan for the regeneration in Crosby was developed by the Council and following consultation was approved in 2015.

Earlier this year, Sefton Council and its partners submitted a £19.2 million bid to the Government’s Levelling Up Fund for a range of schemes to revitalise Crosby town centre after the COVID-19 pandemic.

Entitled ‘Reimagining Crosby’, the bid includes plans for the creation of a new, state-of-the-art library, healthcare facilities and town centre living spaces, located on the current Green Car Park site.

The outcome of the Council’s Levelling Up Fund bid is due by late 2021.

Consultation on the plans for Crosby town centre will run for six weeks and close on Wednesday 3rd November 2021. Local residents, businesses and visitors to Crosby are invited to share their thoughts online at yourseftonyoursay.sefton.gov.uk

People are also encouraged to share the online survey with others who may be interested and want to take part. People without internet access, can have their say over the phone by calling 0345 140 0845.

For further information, residents can contact the Regeneration Team on regen@sefton.gov.uk

Robotics firm takes last unit at Northwood’s Mersey Reach as work starts on phase 2

A Merseyside firm pioneering the use of industrial robots has become the latest occupier to sign up for the award-winning Mersey Reach development in Aintree.

CNC Robotics industrial unit at Mersey Reach
CNC Robotics industrial unit at Mersey Reach

CNC Robotics is to establish an advanced manufacturing facility in the last remaining unit in phase one. The fast-growing company, which provides robots for a wide range of machining applications, currently occupies two units at nearby Sefton Business Park. The new 12,133 sq ft unit will enable it to bring together its operations on a single site and provide space for further growth. B8 Real Estate and JLL acted as joint agents on the letting on behalf of the investor, Northwood Urban Logistics.

Mersey Reach was named as Development of the Year at Insider’s recent Liverpool City Region Property Dinner. Phase one consists of four units totalled 112,500 sq ft, with other occupiers being precision blade manufacturer Hardy UK, Selco Builders Warehouse and Skinny Drinks, which occupied CNC Robotics’ unit for eight months before moving to a larger unit on the site.

Arial image of whole Mersey Reach site
Arial image of whole Mersey Reach site

Work has already started on phase two which will consist of 12 units totalling 102,000 sq ft. Units will range in size from 4,000 to 30,000 sq ft, with completion due in early 2022.

Thomas Marriott from B8 Real Estate’s lettings team said:

“Mersey Reach is one of the most high-profile developments of its type in the area. The unit attracted interest from a number of parties and was let within a week, demonstrating the level of demand for high-spec industrial and logistics space. We are already dealing with enquiries about phase two, which we expect will also attract strong interest.”

Iain Taylor, Director at Northwood Urban Logistics, said:

“We are very pleased to welcome CNC Robotics to Mersey Reach and enable them to expand their advanced manufacturing business in Aintree. There is a significant lack of good quality industrial premises within the region. Mersey Reach offers a fantastic solution for growing occupiers with features such as 8m-10m clear internal height, fitted offices, good sized yards and electric car charging points.”

Situated on a 13.5-acre site off Dunnings Bridge Road, Mersey Reach was developed with support from Sefton Council’s business growth team, InvestSefton, and is expected to create up to 350 jobs when complete.

Stuart Barnes, Sefton Council’s Head of Economic Growth & Housing, said:

“The Mersey Reach development is enabling fast-growing Sefton-based companies like CNC Robotics to continue to operate from our borough, not only improving productivity in the advanced manufacturing industry but bringing new jobs for local communities.

“Having the infrastructure to accommodate the needs of expanding businesses is what makes Sefton the ideal place for them to flourish and offers a real sense of confidence about the future of business here as we focus on recovery post-pandemic. I have no doubt that the next phase of the Mersey Reach development will bring a wealth of training and employment opportunities to our residents.”

Sefton helps Southport sports club swing for success

Sefton Council have helped a Southport Sports Club ensure they’re swinging for success after contributing towards brand new safety netting for their cricket and football offer.

Fleetwood Hesketh Sports Club on Fylde Road, Southport were recently given a grant of nearly ÂŁ20,000 to erect much needed mesh netting to stop wayward cricket balls and footballs from leaving the grounds and hitting road users or neighbourhood properties.

A total of ÂŁ19,978 was granted to the club from Sefton Council’s Community Transition Fund, which now forms the first stage of a major refurbishment and improvement project the sports club are undertaking.

Bobby Addison, Chairman of Fleetwood Hesketh Sports Club, thanked Sefton Council, saying without the grant they would have been forced to suspend cricket and football at the venue.

Bobby said: “Many residents around Marshside and those who have visited our club will remember our wonderful tree lined boundary with Fylde Road.

“Unfortunately we became aware of a need to remove and replace these trees as they were becoming a health and safety issue.

“Once these works were complete, we needed a long lasting alternative to protect our neighbours and we approached Sefton Council for help.

“The council were fantastic and gave us a much needed grant of ÂŁ19,978 which allowed us to purchase and erect the safety netting.

“Without the council’s help we may have had to suspend cricket and football at the ground, which would have had a significantly negative impact on our community.

“This is the first stage of the project and we are now looking to raise funds for a new fence and ball stop netting for our other boundary.”

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: “Fleetwood Hesketh is a wonderful community sporting venue that has been serving Marshside and Southport for nearly a hundred years!

“To be able to see the physical benefits of what the Sefton Community Transition Fund can do is incredibly heartwarming and we are delighted that we have been able to play a part in ensuring both cricket and football remains a staple part of what Fleetwood Hesketh offers.

“The Community Transition Fund has been developed by Sefton Council for this exact reason; to assist community organisations on a one off basis to ensure their long term success which will be passed onto our residents and neighbourhoods.”

To find out more about the fund, please visit www.sefton.gov.uk/communityfund

For more information on Fleetwood Hesketh Sports Club, visit www.fleetwoodhesketh.com

Sefton’s simplified online renewals services for taxi driver & vehicle licencing remains in place

A queue of taxi cabs waiting for customersSefton’s taxi drivers are being reminded that despite the relaxation of some COVID-19 restrictions, vehicle licence renewals are still being processed through a simple e-mail service.

Ten-day turnaround

We aim for a turnaround of ten working days for the renewal of vehicle licences with a high proportion being processed more quickly. We ask that as much information regarding vehicle renewals is included within the subject line of the e-mail enabling us to prioritise our workload.   

Driver licences continue to be considered for auto renewal for a period of six months. A number of licence holders will be invited in for interview if a new DBS check is required, Immigration status check is required, a Medical check is required or there are pending criminal matters.

Target

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Sefton Councils Cabinet Member for Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services said: “Since the start of the COVID pandemic, to ensure the safety of drivers and its own staff, the Council has been carrying out online renewals rather than the drop-in system at Bootle One Stop Shop.

“Infection rates show that the coronavirus is still very much with us, so the online process remains in place for now.

“We have a 10-working-day-target for the process and the majority of applications are being done more quickly.

“And, owners can apply for renewal of their plate 28 days before their current one expires so there should be no reason why anyone should be without a plate.”

To renew, all drivers need to do is email a copy of their Mechanical Fitness Test, which they get from one of the Council’s authorised testing centres to taxiapplication@sefton.gov.uk. Their application needs to be accompanied by an image of their application form, their V5 Registration certificate and evidence of insurance.

The Council then collects the fee from the driver over the telephone and the renewal certificate is sent to them.

Safety

Cllr Lappin added: “As with many of our services, Sefton Council quickly adapted the way we managed taxi vehicle and driver licence renewals to ensure the safety of drivers and our own staff.

“This has mean that the popular drop-in service that took a few minutes, which drivers had got used to now takes a little longer but with a 28-day lead-in time for renewals, no-one need miss the deadline.

Since taking renewals online to prevent the chance of COVID-19 spreading, between drivers, with Council staff and with taxi users, Sefton has processed around 9500 renewals.

Cllr Lappin continued:

“Inevitably taxi drivers in Sefton have had to get used to a change from the drop-in, face-to-face process they have been accustomed to but the vast majority of them have adapted and have been using the system without any problems.

Find out more about the application process on the Sefton Council website.

Grants

During the pandemic, Sefton Council has distributed close to ÂŁ1,000,000 in grant funding through two sets grants to support taxi drivers who have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

Over 4,000 taxi drivers licensed in Sefton, and who live in the Liverpool City Region, were eligible for an initial ÂŁ100 support grant followed up by a further ÂŁ200 support grant.

Search Box