Please follow & like us

Crosby Library confirmed as Sefton’s fifth venue for drive-through Mobile Coronavirus Testing

Crosby Library has been confirmed as Sefton’s fifth venue for a drive-through Mobile Coronavirus Testing unit.

Monday 13 July will see the first three-day by one of the units, which provide drive-through COVID-19 tests for people with appointments. Open between around 10am and 4pm, the testing site will be in the Library parking area. Because these are drive-through sites, people being tested do not need to leave their cars.

Maghull & Southport next venues for mobile coronavirus testing.

Supported by Sefton Council, NHS Southport and Formby CCG and NHS South Sefton CCG, Mobile Coronavirus Testing units have already visited Bootle, Litherland, Maghull and Southport.

Leader of Sefton Council, Cllr Ian Maher said: “Over 5,000 people have already been able to take tests at Sefton Borough’s Mobile Units, and I’m delighted we have been able to set up this new one at Crosby Library.

“These tests, which are a vital part of the ongoing work to overcoming and preventing the spread of COVID-19 are taking place nearly every day in July and this new site will mean we now have extra capacity for the to take place.”

Tests are available for anyone but they need to have made an appointment first at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus   or by calling 119.  Essential workers still need to book through www.gov.uk/apply-coronavirus-test-essential-workers.

Fiona Taylor, chief officer of Sefton’s two CCGs, said: “This new site in Crosby is good news and gives eligible Sefton residents more opportunities to be tested for coronavirus closer to home, particularly those who may find it difficult to travel to the regional centres in Liverpool, Haydock and Manchester and these mobile testing sites are an excellent example of how partners across health and care are working together locally to respond to Covid-19.”

esting remains vital to the ongoing work to overcome COVID-19.  Around 6,000 people have already been tested so far at Sefton’s Mobile Test Sites.

Through the Government’s NHS Test and Trace service, anyone who tests positive for coronavirus will be contacted and will need to share information about their recent interactions. It is really important you follow the NHS guidance to stop the spread of coronavirus in Sefton.

Find out more about the NHS Test and Trace service. 

As the Government restrictions decrease, Sefton’s Health bosses are reminding people of the importance of two-metre distancing, wearing face coverings on public transport  and regular, thorough hand-washing.

 

Coastal Visitor Action Plan reminder

With a sunny weekend expected, Green Sefton bosses are reminding people about the Coastal Visitor Action Plan, which has been developed to keep Sefton’s coastline safe for residents, visitors and its own employees.

Access & parking, facilities, public safety and clear communication are also among the key elements of the plan, which covers the Borough’s main coastal locations of Ainsdale, Crosby and Waterloo, Formby and Southport. As well as re-opening Ainsdale Beach car park, way of dealing with access and parking include Southport’s Esplanade Car Park, exploring more options for park and ride, using variable message signs and continuing with enforcement for illegal and inconsiderate parking.

Additional facilities for any influx of visitors contained in the Plan include providing extra capacity for waste and more frequent emptying of litter bins and issuing visitors with free rubbish sacks at peak times. There are also options for providing more public toilets, including the portable loos, in a way that is safe for users and the staff required to keep facilities clean and sterilised.

All of these measures will be introduced in line with Government guidance to ensure public and staff safety is paramount. Specific innovations such as a new cashless payment system for on-beach car parking and expanded staff welfare facilities to ensure social distancing will also be required.

This short video shows some of the measure in place as part of the Coastal Visitor Action Plan.

However, Sefton Council is still discouraging people from travelling to its coast and beaches and with hot weather expected is echoing the recent message from Liverpool City Region Leaders urging all residents to stay safe and think twice before leaving home.

When the plan was launched, Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing said: “With people having travelled from as far afield as Manchester, Stoke, Birmingham and North Wales as well as from across the City Region it became clear that we needed to develop this Plan.

“In it, we have proposed a wider range of measures to meet the requirements of residents, visitors and employees and our beautiful coastal environment while at the same time keeping them safe in terms of the COVID-19 pandemic and the Government’s national guidelines.

“The restrictions around Coronavirus have amplified the issues our Borough often experiences at coastal locations on busy summer weekends and Bank Holidays, particularly since the Government announced aspects of the lockdown were being eased and travel-distances and times for exercise and leisure extended.

“I am pleased to see that by drawing up the Visitor Plan and starting to implement it this weekend, during which we saw up to 300 cars parked on Ainsdale beach reducing pressure on local roads, has enabled the Council to deliver benefits for residents and visitors alike.”

The Council has also been reminding people that a Public Spaces Protection Order is in place preventing the outdoor consumption of alcohol in areas of Formby & Ainsdale Beaches, Southport Promenade and town centre, Crosby & Waterloo including by the Marine Lake as well as Bootle and Formby town centres. The Order can be enforced by Police officers and authorised Council officers and fines for breaching it start at £50.

Download a copy of Sefton Council’s Coastal Visitor Action Plan.

 

Health bosses urging people to stay safe as lockdown guidance eases

Sefton health professionals have come together ahead of an easing in lockdown guidance to urge residents to stay safe and continue to play their part in reducing the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

From 4 July, as the infection rates of coronavirus continues to fall, new guidance will allow additional businesses to open, people can meet in groups of up to two households in any location and can stay overnight away from their home with members of one other household.

Margaret Jones, Interim Director of Public Health for Sefton, explained: “With the easing of the lockdown more and more people will be out and about. If you can, you should avoid using public transport, and aim to walk, cycle or drive instead. If you do need to use public transport to complete your journey you should follow the guidelines in place and wear a face covering. It is not possible to socially distance during car journeys so, avoid travelling in a car with someone who is not part of your household.

Dr Craig Gillespie, chair of NHS South Sefton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), said: “As we see more shops, restaurants, pubs, visitor attractions, libraries, places of worship and hotels open it’s really important that everyone remembers that hand washing, face coverings and staying at least 2 metres away from others can reduce the risk of transmitting coronavirus.

“We know that it has been difficult for people over recent months not to have been able to meet with their family and friends but it’s still vital to limit the number of people you see – the more people you have interactions with, the more chances we give the virus to spread.”

“Make sure to wash your hands as soon as you return from the shops or work and use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available. This will help to protect you and anyone you come into contact with and is critical to keeping everyone safe.”

Dr Rob Caudwell, chair of NHS Southport and Formby CCG, added: “If you are clinically vulnerable, meaning that you could be at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus you can now meet people outdoors, and from 4 July, indoors but you need to be especially careful and diligent about social distancing and hand hygiene.

“We all know it is very important to do what we can to reduce the risk of people getting ill with coronavirus. Remember that by following the guidance set out, you are helping to protect yourself, your family, the NHS and your community.”

Here are some useful Coronavirus (COVID-19) links:

Mobile Coronavirus Test Sites back in Southport & Litherland from Saturday 4 July

This weekend will see Coronavirus Mobile Test Sites in both Litherland and Southport.

They will be at Southport Eco Centre  and Litherland Sports Park from Saturday 4 to Monday 6 July.

Supported by Sefton Council, NHS Southport and Formby CCG and NHS South Sefton CCG, Mobile Test Sites are providing clinical diagnosis tests to tell people if they currently have the Covid-19 virus. Tests are available for anyone but they need to have made an appointment first at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus  or by calling 119.  Essential workers still need to book through www.gov.uk/apply-coronavirus-test-essential-workers .

Key NHS and care workers can now attend regional testing sites, which now include the new site at Liverpool John Lennon Airport as well as Haydock and Manchester Airport without the need for an appointment.

Testing is vital to the ongoing work to overcome COVID-19 and enables key workers who test negative to return to that work. over 5,000 people have already been tested so far at Sefton’s Mobile Test Sites, which have been supported by Sefton Council, NHS Southport and Formby CCG and NHS South Sefton CCG.

Through the Government’s NHS Test and Trace service, anyone who tests positive for coronavirus will be contacted and will need to share information about their recent interactions. It is really important you follow the NHS guidance to stop the spread of coronavirus in Sefton.

Find out more about the NHS Test and Trace service.

 

Local residents and businesses invited to help shape the vision for Southport’s future

A consultation is to be launched next week (Monday 29th June) on a future vision for Southport. The consultation is part of the first stage of the Towns Deal, which was launched by the Government last year. As part of the Towns Deal, Southport is one of just 100 towns across the country invited to bid for a share of the Government’s £3.6 billion Towns Deals Fund.

Since November 2019 a number of conversations have taken place with local residents and businesses to discuss how that money might be spent if the bid is successful. Over a thousand items of initial feedback have been gathered from the Government’s #MyTown campaign, interviews with representatives of local groups and surveys completed by social media users. This feedback has helped to shape a number of ‘Big Ideas’ that will feed into the Southport Town Investment Plan, a document that will become the first stage in the process of securing a Town Deal.

Work on the Town Investment Plan is being undertaken by Sefton Council and overseen by the Southport Town Deal Board, a group made up of a number of representatives from key businesses and community groups in the town.

Rob Fletcher, Chair of the Town Deal Board, said ‘This is an exciting opportunity to invest in Southport’s future – the resilience of its economy and culture for the benefit of the community. Following initial conversations we have gathered feedback from residents, businesses and leaders in Southport. This feedback has helped us put together a number of Big Ideas and themes, which could help to guide the future of the town.

These Big Ideas aim to encourage more people to visit and stay in Southport, provide better opportunities for local businesses to grow, and ensure residents have every opportunity to make the best of our very special town.”

Consultation on the draft Vision and the Big Ideas for Southport will run from Monday 29th June until Monday 20th July – local residents, businesses and visitors are invited to provide their comments online at www.yourseftonyoursay.sefton.gov.uk/futuresouthport.

Those without internet access are encouraged to call the consultation hotline on 0808 168 8296.

Rob Fletcher, added ‘This consultation is part of the first stage of an evolving process to unlock Government funding for Southport. The Big Ideas on the website present our initial thoughts; we encourage everyone in Southport to participate and share their own views on how £25 million could be used on projects in the town. The consultation will run until Monday 20th July. Following submission of the Town Investment Plan there will be plenty of opportunities to get involved during the next stages of the Town Deal and we plan to undertake further engagement in the future.”

Following the consultation, the Town Deal Team are due to submit a Southport Investment Plan to the Government later this summer.

Search Box