Please follow & like us

RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
YouTube
Instagram

Sefton launches Gumbelievable campaign to target sticky issues

Sefton Council is giving residents and visitors to the borough something to chew on as the Local Authority launches its ‘Gumbelievable’ campaign.

 Working with The Chewing Gum Action Group, Sefton Council and its partners will be taking to various hotspots around the borough in the coming weeks to hand out special packs to gum lovers, in a bid to combat the amount of gum which is dropped on the street.

The packs include pocket-sized containers full of disposable wrappers for people to use when they want to responsibly dispose of their used chewing gum.

Beer mats will be handed out in pubs and bars across the borough while huge banners warning people not to risk hefty fines will be placed outside Sefton run leisure centres.

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regulation and Compliance, said: “Dropping gum, like any form of litter, is a disgusting and unsightly thing to do and you can be fined for it. 

“We are doing all we can to raise awareness of this issue and by giving out these packs, putting up posters and spreading the message far and wide, nobody can have an excuse to drop gum.”

 Sefton officers will be on Chapel Street, Southport on Saturday September 29 in the build up to the British Musical Fireworks Championship which is expected to bring thousands of people to the borough.

 They can be found handing out ‘gumbelievable’ packs near to Southport Train Station from 2pm.

War hero’s family found in time for Victoria Cross commemoration

Genealogy detective work by Sefton Council has successfully led to finding the long lost family of a Victoria Cross hero from Seaforth.

Earlier this year the Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Dave Robinson, asked for help to trace the family of Arthur Evans VC ahead of a special event in his honour next month.

The appeal went global with potential family links being unearthed in Australia, but for Sefton’s super sleuths, the family tree trail ended in success a little closer to home.

Now Arthur Evans VC’s first cousin, twice removed, Stuart Kirkland from Aigburth, will join Mayor Robinson and members of the Armed Forces to pay tribute to the Seaforth war hero.

Arthur evans

Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Dave Robinson, said: “Arthur is one of five local Victoria Cross recipients who are being honoured with a special commemorative stone and I am delighted that we have been able to find a family member to be part of this momentous occasion.

“Arthur’s stone will be laid at Bowersdale Park on Friday September 7. Present will also be members of the Duke of Lancaster’s (Kings) Regiment and also the Anglian Regiment, under which Arthur served.

“Arthur was a true hero and his actions on the battlefield of Etaing, France, are something of legend.”

All are welcome to attend the unveiling of the commemorative stone from 11am on September 7 at Bowersdale Park, Seaforth.

Switch Island works may affect traffic light sequencing

Improvement works by Highways England at Switch Island may affect traffic light sequencing and have an impact on journey times.

The improvement scheme at Switch Island looks to provide additional Traffic Signals as well as  resurfacing the carriageway.

However during the resurfacing the contractor will unfortunately have to remove Traffic Signal Detection, which is used to monitor and adjust timings at the junction.

Therefore the sequencing of lights will be based on historical traffic flow information and not to live demands, until the new detectors are installed delays will occur.

The works are due to finish in January 2019.

For more information please contact customercare.area10@bbmmjv.com

 

Platform Upgrade Work: Merseyrail getting ready for 2020

Transport leaders have announced a programme of platform upgrades designed to prepare the Merseyrail network for the arrival of the new, state of the art trains in 2020 that will transform how people travel.

The phased programme of upgrades will take place between 20 October 2018 and 16 June 2019. These vital works, delivered by Network Rail, will involve upgrading existing platforms and realigning track to ensure that they are compatible with the new trains and their ground breaking, sliding step technology that will provide unassisted access for all.

This means that wheelchair users can board the train without a ramp and passengers with prams and cycles can get on and off the train with ease. This technology represents a pioneering approach for the UK.

There will be 11 phases of works during this period. Only short sections of line will be closed at any one time, with all stations on that section closed. Closures will vary in duration, but most will be between nine and 30 days at a time.

High quality, rail replacement buses will get passengers to where they need to go as quickly as possible and some of these will be express services.

Merseytravel, Merseyrail and Network Rail have worked collaboratively on this project and significant planning work has been carried out to minimise the time needed to complete these important works and reduce disruption to passengers.

More detailed information will be made available in advance of each phase and travellers will be encouraged to plan ahead and consider their travel options including commercial buses and the Mersey Ferries.

Businesses and organisations are advised to think about what they may need to put in place to support staff and customers.

Key advice:
• You can still get to where you need to go
• Check before you travel. Closures are taking place at different locations at different times on the network so it’s important to keep checking what’s happening and when. Some timetables may change.
• Plan ahead – use journey planners and National Rail enquiries
• Leave more time for your journey. Timetables may change and your journey may be longer.
• Consider avoiding travelling at peak times where possible.
• Consider your options –including commercial buses and the Mersey Ferries.

For more information and further details about how your rail journeys will be affected visit www.merseyrail.org/itshappening

Sefton secures £2.3 million for major highway improvement project in Maghull

Sefton Council is delighted to have secured £2.3 million for a major highway improvement project in Maghull.

The proposed scheme will allow for reduced congestion and improved safety at the A59 Northway junction with Dover Road and Liverpool Road South.

Funding for the project, which is anticipated to begin in 2019, has been allocated by the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority and reinforces Sefton’s ongoing commitment to supporting infrastructure and growth across the borough.

Cllr John Fairclough, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Locality Services, said: “We are delighted to have secured City Region Combined Authority funding for this scheme.

“Sefton is wholly committed to to improving transport infrastructure in the Maghull area and this project will be another step forward, following on from the new Maghull North Station and the M58 Junction 1 improvements due to start later this year.

“We hope that the works, once approved, will start in Summer 2019 and last around six months, with as little disruption as possible to traffic.”

Further details about the project will be announced in due course.

Search Box