Please follow & like us

Appeal following theft of shotguns in Formby

Merseyside Police is appealing for information following the theft of two licensed firearms in Formby.

A report was received at about 10pm on Thursday, 7 December that a Browning shotgun and a Beretta shotgun had been taken from a car parked outside the Sparrowhawk Hotel, Southport Old Road in Formby. The owner discovered they had been taken from the Isuzu D-Max 4×4 vehicle at 6pm that day, and they are believed to have been taken between 5-6pm.

Detective Inspector Robbie Moss said: “I would like to reassure the local community that we are doing everything we can to investigate this theft and recover these stolen firearms. The weapons were legally-owned shotguns which belong to someone who had correctly registered them with the police. However in the wrong hands they are clearly dangerous and getting them back is our top priority.

“The people who have stolen them may not fully appreciate the danger they may be putting themselves and others in by handling these weapons so I would appeal for them to come forward so we can take back possession of them safely.

“I would also urge anyone who knows the people who have got them to think carefully about the risks and implications of handling a firearm. We do not want anyone to come to any harm due to these weapons being misused or falling into the wrong hands so please, do the right thing and call the police.

“If you remember seeing anything suspicious around 5-6pm on Thursday close to the Sparrowhawk Hotel and haven’t yet spoken to the police then please call us on 101 quoting incident reference 0517314995. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

Cabinet agrees not to create three Family Wellbeing Centres following community feedback

Sefton Council’s Cabinet has agreed not to create three Family Wellbeing Centres after listening to community feedback from a recent consultation exercise.

They have agreed to a more joined up approach for the whole family covering ages from pre-birth to 19 year olds, which will complement the work Sefton Council is doing to transform the way it provides early intervention and prevention services.

The recommendations, which were agreed at Cabinet on December 7, are subject to a five-day call in period.

Cllr Ian Maher, Labour Leader of Sefton Council, said:

“Due to significant reductions in Government funding over the last few years, the Council has had to make some really tough decisions, but we always try to make these with our communities at the heart.

“This consultation has been a very difficult, emotive piece of work and we have spent a lot of time listening to our communities. As a result we have changed our proposals because of their feedback and all existing Children’s Centres are to remain open. This decision clearly shows that what our communities say do matter to us.”

More than 1,600 people gave their views during the consultation and the Council held 15 public engagement events. While the majority were in favour of a more joined up approach for 0 to19 year olds, they were not in favour of having three main centres.

Cllr John Joseph Kelly, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Children, Schools and Safeguarding, added:

“Sefton has an excellent track record for consulting with our communities and this is a great example of this work.

“All along we have been clear that we would listen to people’s views and we have truly listened. As a result of this valuable feedback, we are changing our plans, which will allow us to be more joined up and make the most of the money that we have available to ensure support for those most in need. It will complement the work we’re doing to transform the way we provide early intervention and prevention services.”

In order to retain the centres within their current bases and to keep within the available budget, the Council acknowledges it will not be possible to provide the same level of activity within the centres. As a result, funding to the children’s and family centres going forward will change. It means that the allocated monies will be prioritised on providing services that support parents, carers and all children regardless of age. Report details are on the Sefton Council website.

The Council will work closely with schools on the impact of the funding changes, as there would also be likely implications for employees of both the Council and those employed by schools.

The next step of this process is to begin to engage with service users, staff and partners on what a new 0-19 offer will look like.

Council services at Christmas and New Year

During Christmas and New Year, Sefton Council will provide restricted services as most staff are required to take unpaid leave as part of a series of cost-saving measures.

But residents can still access a range of information and transactions via the council website – sefton.gov.uk.

This includes checking bin collections, applying for licences, reporting environmental issues or paying Council Tax and business rates.

As a result of the unpaid leave, to be taken on December 22, 27, 28 and 29 most council buildings will be closed, contributing to significant savings as part of the budget setting process.

Services that will continue to operate include critical social care services for adults and children, a limited street cleaning service, Registrars, domestic and commercial waste collections and urgent highways issues, including gritting.

From December 26-29 refuse and recycling collections will operate a day later than normal. This means collections will take place from Wednesday, December 27 to Saturday, December 30. Residents are also being encouraged to recycle as much waste as possible.

Similar to other years, the green wheelie bin collection for garden waste will be suspended from the end of November and will return in March, 2018.

Some Sefton Council-run leisure centres will be open at varying times during these dates and users are advised to check sefton.gov.uk for opening times.

A list of social care emergency phone numbers is attached below (see notes to editors).

Cllr Ian Maher, Labour Leader of Sefton Council, said:

“We have been running the Christmas shutdown for a number of years now and this contributes to the savings we have to make due significant reductions in Government funding.

“Over the course of the financial year, our hard working staff have had their pay reduced in order to take four days unpaid leave. Other savings from the closure period come from the reduced need for heating, lighting and running buildings, equipment and vehicles.

“While reduced services are being operated, residents will see how these continuing cuts are having an increasing impact on all our communities right across the borough. While disappointing, we will continue to provide the best services possible with the limited funds available to us.”

To access a range of service and transactions online, visit sefton.gov.uk. An automated phone service will be in place between December 22 and January 2, 2018 on 0345 140 0845 and most service requests will only be actioned beyond January.

Emergency contacts on December 22, 27, 28, and 29 between 9am-5.30pm:

Children’s Social Care: 0151 934 3114
Adult Social Care: 01704 704389 (North)
Adult Social Care: 0151 529 3761 (South)

For Social Care emergencies at all other times call the Emergency Duty Team 0151 934 3555

 

Alcohol consumption PSPO consultation

Sefton Council is asking for residents’ views on as part of a consultation on Public Spaces Protection Order to prevent the consumption of alcohol in designated areas.

The current Bye Law restricts alcohol in four geographical areas across Sefton and we would like to know if you think the areas should still be covered under the Public Spaces Protection Order and whether the areas should be extended or reduced?

Sefton Council has had a Bye Law in place since 2003, which prohibits drinking alcohol in public places.

Since being in place, the Law surrounding Anti-Social behaviour has changed under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

This means that as of the 20th October 2017, the current Bye Law will automatically become a Public Spaces Protection Order.

When a Bye Law becomes a Public Spaces Protection Order, this will give officers of Sefton Council and Police Officers the powers to issue a Fixed Penalty Notice to those drinking alcohol in public spaces, once they have been given a warning.

To take part or to find out more information about the consultation, click here.

 

There is more than meets the eye with local war hero

An heroic centenarian was recently recognised for his exploits during World War Two in a special ceremony at Bootle Town Hall.  

Cyril Askew, 100, late of the King’s Regiment, now the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment, holds the very rare distinction of having serving in two theatres of war during the same conflict.

He was hosted by The Mayor of Sefton, Cllr. Dave Robinson in the Council Chambers on December 5 as he was awarded the Legion d’Honneur for serving at Normandy in World War Two.

Cyril, who hails from Litherland, was typically modest in his account of his exploits:

“I returned home in 1944 having served 7 years as a regular soldier in the 1st Battalion of The King’s Regiment in India.

“I was then attached to the 2nd Battalion of The Lincolnshire Regiment. I was in France from 6 June to 22 July 1944, where I took part in the successful capture of the chateau at Lion-sur-Mer and liberating Caen.

“I was then involved in Operation Goodwood until 20 July, where the Battalion suffered 250 casualties.

Mayor of Sefton, Cllr. Dave Robinson said:

“It is very humbling to spend time in the company of Cyril and other members of the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment. It was a great privilege to present him with his medal for his selfless role in Normandy.

“While it has rightly been an honour to recognise Cyril for his role in France, it is only one part of the story. He was also a Chindit as part of the 1st Battalion of the King’s Regiment in India. To have done both is a very rare feat in indeed, in what was a remarkable military service.

“We really are proud to say that a man as rare and brave as Cyril is one of our own.”

Cyril is the latest Sefton recipient of the Legion D’Honneur. Former flying ace Len McNamara was honoured with the same accolade at Southport Town Hall earlier this month.

Below: Cyril receives his medal from Cllr. Dave Robinson, Mayor of Sefton 

 

Search Box