Please follow & like us

Public consultation on possible improvements at Southport Golf Links now underway

Sefton Council’s Green Sefton team has launched a public consultation on ways to improve the course and facilities at Southport Golf Links.

As well as the tees, greens and fairways, people taking part are asked to rate current facilities including the reception and shop, changing rooms and toilets and parking and signage.

Participants are asked to indicate and prioritise on possible future improvements they would like to see at Southport Golf Links, including a new driving range, a chipping and bunker area, a putting green and floodlights. They can also comment on improvements they would like to see to the current facilities, including the White House Café.

Work to improve the course by redesigning is also among proposals on which people can express their views. And, as part of Sefton Council’s commitment to combating climate change, the consultation also includes questions about renewable energy, sustainable irrigation, recycling and reducing the use of plastics and improving existing wildlife habitat on the course.

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: “The results of this anonymous survey will help our Green Sefton service plan any possible future developments at Southport Golf Links and we want to hear from current users but also golfers who might consider using an improved course.

“Although no specific funding has yet been identified for investment at Southport Golf Links, as a result of feedback from last year’s similar consultation on Bootle Golf course, plans are now underway to create the new driving range that people told us they wanted to see as part of improved practice facilities at the course.”

Take part in the consultation.

The consultation opened last week and closes on Friday 20th November.

Southport Golf Links was originally opened in 1912 as a 9-hole course on reclaimed land bordering the Irish Sea. During the 1930s more land was reclaimed and it was extended to 18 holes. The course’s designer was Harry Shapland Colt who, in his time, was one of the world’s leading golf course architects.

Autumn edition of Aiming High for Disabled Children newsletter out now

The Autumn 2020 edition of Sefton Council’s Aiming High for Disabled Children newsletter is out now and available for you to read.

Aiming High for Disabled Children is a service provided by Sefton Council to make sure disabled children, young people and their families have the same access to fun, fulfilling activities and life chances as those without disabilities.

It provides specially tailored sessions during term-time and holidays that young people can access, and specialist support when young people reach key transition points, such as moving from education in to employment.

Aiming High’s newsletter is produced three times a year and contains good news stories about things that are happening within the service. This includes blogs from young people and service users, a closer look in to some of the activities, groups and events available for young people in Sefton and up-to-date information about local and national guidance and support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

You can read the Aiming High Newsletter by clicking here. This autumn 2020 edition focuses on the positive outreach work our Aiming High team and partner agencies have undertaken throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, and there’s also plenty of inspirational stories of achievement and success from young people across the borough.

Find out more about Aiming High for Disabled Children at Sefton Council’s website here. Use the links on this page to discover Aiming High’s Short Breaks activities, family support for SEND, and transitions services for young people age 13-25 SEND.

You can also register with Sefton’s Disabled Children’s Database at The Sefton Directory to keep up-to-date with services that are useful to you. Once registered you are also guaranteed a regular copy of the Aiming High for Disabled Children newsletter.

Government agrees City Region gyms will re-open

On BBC Radio Merseyside this morning, Steve Rotheram, Metro Mayor of Liverpool City Region said:

I’d like to read a short statement on behalf of; Cllr Rob Polhill (Halton) – Cllr Graham Morgan (Knowsley) – Mayor Joe Anderson (Liverpool) – Cllr Ian Maher (Sefton) – Cllr David Baines (St Helens) and Cllr Janette Williamson (Wirral), which reads:

“On behalf of the Leaders and MPs across our City Region – I entered into further talks with 10 Downing Street last night to highlight the inconsistencies of the measures that we had been placed under – following the Government’s decision to impose Tier 3 restrictions in our area.

“Collectively we have consistently requested the scientific evidence that supported the imposition of the suite of measures under tier 3 – and we have pointed out the inconsistencies of approach following the announcement that Lancashire would not have exactly the same package of restrictions as our City Region.

“Talks continued till late last night – and the Government have agreed with the case that I put forward  – that they would now bring us in line with other Tier 3 area – so that (like Lancashire and Greater Manchester) – soft play areas would be closed – but that gyms could reopen.

“I argued that gyms in the Liverpool City Region were no less safe than those in Lancashire – that had been allowed to remain open.

“I also convinced them that – as we now had local Test and Tracing (and had been chosen as a pilot area to trial new Test Technologies) – we could manage the safety of gym users as well as anywhere in the country.

“The Government will now include the provision to rescind their original decision – when they lay the legislation before Parliament tomorrow – on the orders for Greater Manchester.”

 

 

Two new walk-through Test Centres for Sefton

Sefton is benefiting from two new, walk-through Local Testing Sites, at Crosby Library and Netherton Activity Centre, for people who have the Coronavirus symptoms.

Open from 8am to 8pm, they provide easy access to COVID-19 tests for people who do not have access to a car and for those who have coronavirus symptoms and should not travel by public transport.

Each Test Site has between four and eight testing bays which can each test up to three people an hour. Users will be asked to self-swab when attending and visitors will need to wear a mask or face covering which they will be asked to dispose of in bins provided or to take them home, after the test.

Unlike the three-day Mobile Units, the Local Testing Sites in Bootle and Southport will be open for several months.

August saw the opening of Merseyside’s first two walk-through centres, at Bootle Town Hall and at Southport Town Hall and Mobile Testing Units have been at sites across Sefton on most days since the start of July. This has mean tens of thousands of tests have been provided to people across the Borough .

Testing is only available for those either with coronavirus symptoms – a high temperature, a new, continuous cough, or a loss or change to sense or taste – or those who have been asked to get tested by a doctor, public health professional or by their local council.

Anyone with one or more of these symptoms should book a test at one of Sefton’s walk through or mobile test units online at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus  or by calling 119.

You may be advised to isolate if you have been in contact with a confirmed case but you should only get a test if you have symptoms.

By following these simple rules, we can ensure people who need a test can get one.  The swab test takes less than a minute and is relatively pain free.

Cllr Ian Maher, Leader of Sefton Council said:

“Testing is still a vital tool in helping to overcome the spread of COVID-19 infections across the Sefton Borough and I am delighted we have been able to establish these two new walk-through sites for people with symptoms, in addition to the new Mobile Unit location at Aintree Racecourse earlier this month.

“The opening of the new walk-through centres is the latest important step in ensuring we have accessible testing facilities for the people of Sefton, when and where they need them.”

Cllr Maher added that Sefton Council is continuing to explore more opportunities for test sites across the Borough.

Find out more about October’s remaining Mobile test Unit dates.

City Region leaders demand ‘immediate review’ of gym and leisure centre closures

Cllr Ian Maher, Leader of Sefton Council has joined The Metro Mayor, City Mayor and other Liverpool City Region Council leaders to ask the Government to conduct an ‘immediate review’ of its decision to close gyms under Tier 3 restrictions.

As part of the review, Government ministers are being asked to provide the scientific evidence to support the City Region’s gym and leisure centres being closed. If they are unable to do so, they are being asked to change the law so they can open again.

In the letter, the Metro Mayor, City Mayor and other Liverpool City Region Council leaders state that while the Government conducts any review of gym and leisure centre closures, they continue to urge everyone to follow the law  as it currently stands and will fully support Merseyside Police in any enforcement activity required.

 

Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP

Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

10 Downing Street 

London 

SW1A 2AA

 

19th October 2020

Dear Prime Minister

We are writing as the Leaders and Mayors of the City Region regarding the government’s decision to close gyms and leisure centres as part of Liverpool City Region’s tier 3 package.

We are very conscious of the high rates of coronavirus in our region and the pressure this causes our NHS, and have therefore always understood the need for action to bring the virus under control and protect the health of our residents.

As you will know we were given no choice about the specific package of measures that would be applied to us, but did ask for assurances that the restrictions in our area would have the desired effect of impacting on the transmission rate and take some of the pressure off our NHS, which faces being overwhelmed. To ensure the measures had the best chance of success, we requested the scientific evidence to support their imposition. 

At no stage did we ask for gyms and leisure centres to be closed – despite several ministers subsequently erroneously claiming otherwise. Indeed, during talks we repeatedly questioned why decisions on the suite of regulations were being taken, specifically pointing to the fitness and mental health benefits that gyms and leisure centres provide to our residents. Responses to our requests for the scientific basis for the closure of gyms have, to date, not been forthcoming.

Last Friday the Government decided to place Lancashire into Tier 3. However, gyms there were not required to close. We find this decision perplexing. The Tier system was supposed to simplify the public’s understanding of restrictions to avoid the confusion of the local ‘lockdown’ patchwork quilt.

We simply cannot accept our region being treated differently to other Tier 3 areas, without robust scientific evidence. These inconsistencies in restrictions between areas within the same tier risk undermining the new system from the beginning.

So today we are writing to request an immediate review of the government’s decision to close gyms and leisure centres in the Liverpool City Region. 

We believe this process should take the following steps:

1)   The Government should provide the scientific evidence that gyms and leisure centres are in LCR are less safe than elsewhere in the country – or that they are significantly contributing to the spread of COVD-19 in our city region.

2)   If (as we suspect) ministers are not able to provide this evidence, then we are requesting that the government amends the regulations passed by parliament last week – to rescind the inclusion of gyms and leisure centres from the list of restricted businesses – and allow them to safely re-open, at the earliest opportunity.

3)   Under the legislation passed in Parliament our Tier 3 restrictions have to be reviewed in three weeks’ time. If the government is unable to provide evidence to justify gyms and leisure centres closures, and is also unable to amend the regulations before this point, then we ask that you give us the discretionary power locally to determine that gyms can re-opened at this point.

While this review is undertaken, we will of course continue to urge people to abide by the letter of the current legislation – and fully support Merseyside Police in the fantastic work they do to keep people in the City Region safe every day. 

We look forward to receiving your response on this important issue.

Yours sincerely

Steve Rotheram 

Metro Mayor of the Liverpool City Region 

 Cllr Rob Polhill 

Leader of Halton Council 

Cllr Graham Morgan 

Leader of Knowsley Council 

Joe Anderson OBE 

Mayor of Liverpool 

 Cllr Ian Maher  

Leader of Sefton Council 

 Cllr David Baines 

Leader of St Helens Council 

 Cllr Janette Williamson 

Leader of Wirral Council

cc Ed Lister

Search Box