Please follow & like us

Statement: Orrell Mount 3G pitch works postponed

Cllr Ian Maher, Leader of Sefton Council, has today (Friday, November 12th) announced that work to create brand new 3G pitches on Orrell Mount in Bootle will be temporarily paused in order to continue open dialogue with local community groups.

Throughout the planning application process for the hugely beneficial scheme residents, members of the community and a number of sports organisations were consulted on the plans, which received wide reaching support.

Proposals were approved and work was due to be undertaken on site this week. These works however have now been put on hold following a recent public demonstration.

Cllr Maher said: “While we have continued to engage with the community around Orrell Mount, recent demonstrations on site have indicated there is still more dialogue to be had.

“Our initial consultations led Sefton to revamp, tweak and add in certain elements to the scheme in order to best benefit surrounding residents and address concerns raised, which is why we were confident that a schedule of works could begin in earnest.

“It was never our intention to close the park off while these works took place and this drastic decision was only taken at the eleventh hour in order to keep both the public and contractors safe after it became clear demonstrations could lead to a health and safety issue.

“After a significant amount of discussion between Cabinet, ward members and officers, we have unanimously agreed to temporarily halt all works and reopen the park as a sign of good faith, while we seek to continue further constructive dialogue and consultation with residents.

“We all want to find a solution which allows this hugely beneficial scheme to become a reality and we will now await the findings of this additional consultation before any further potential progression is made.”

Orrell Mount Playing Fields will now fully reopen, however a small number of playground improvement and maintenance works will still be taking place within the grounds.

 

Orrell Mount fields temporarily closed as fantastic 3G pitch works get underway

Earlier this year Sefton Council announced that it had been successful in a bid for ÂŁ780,000 funding from the Football Foundation to create brand new and much needed all weather 3G pitches at Orrell Mount.

Alongside around £350,000 direct investment from the Council, this welcome additional funding allows the Council to undertake work to replace the existing grass pitch and to install new changing facilities on the site – ultimately benefitting local people all year round.

A spokesperson for Sefton Council said: “We are aware of misinformation which has been shared online about the scheme and we have reiterated that key facilities will remain and even be improved, including dog walking facilities and a fully refurbished children’s playground.”

Local Sefton former professional footballer Jamie Carragher’s 23 Foundation will be running the new facility, to maximise its potential and nurture a new generation of future sporting stars

They will provide a managed programme which supports partner club growth and offers a range of recreational football activities to people of all ages, backgrounds, genders and abilities to deliver the FA strategic outcomes.

Full backing has been given to the scheme by the Liverpool County FA, local grassroots football teams such as Northfield Juniors and many members of the community.

Tony Smith, Football Development Manager at the Liverpool County FA, added: “There is a huge shortfall of match play on 3G pitches and having this facility in the heart of the community will not only develop better grassroots players but also develop better social outcomes to combat obesity, improve health and wellbeing, while also tackling anti-social behaviour.”

Rachel Stevenson, Welfare Officer for Bootle’s Northfield Junior’s Football Club, said the team can’t wait to play on the pitch.

She said: “Historically in the winter months we have found real difficulties and challenges to get our kids access to proper training facilities.

“This will be our first opportunity to keep players within the local community and allow them to train closer to their homes.

“We are a registered charity so this scheme will also allow us to keep our costs down and allow us to pass this back on to our members so our football remains completely inclusive to everyone in the local community.”

A Sefton Council spokesperson reiterated these comments, adding: “Any surplus made from operating the facility will be put back in to the community.

“Throughout this process to provide significantly improved health and wellbeing provisions for football players of all abilities and ages, Sefton Council has endeavoured to work closely with members of the local community and has acted on some of the concerns expressed.”

Despite these promises, a pocket of public opposition to the plans has remained and owing to the ongoing actions of these demonstrators, Sefton Council have reluctantly taken the decision to temporarily close Orrell Mount park to the public.

A council spokesperson confirmed: “This decision has not been taken lightly, however we need to ensure the ongoing safety of both demonstrators and our contractors.

“This closure will remain in place until works to install a 3G pitch, lighting and community safety provisions have been completed.”

Sefton Health Director’s ‘book-a-booster’ reminder

Margaret Jones, Director of Public Health in Sefton
Margaret Jones, Sefton Council’s Director of Public Health

Margaret Jones, Sefton Council’s Director of Public Health is urging people across the Borough to book their COVID-19 booster jab, if they are eligible for it in the next month.

Booster jabs are available to people who have had their first and second COVID-19 vaccinations from six months after the date of their second jab.

Eligible

Anyone who has had their first and second vaccinations and is within a month of being eligible for their booster jab can now book their appointment at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus-vaccination or by calling 119.

Anyone who had their second vaccination six months ago or longer, can also use the www.NHS.uk or call 119 to find a walk-in coronavirus vaccination site where they can get a booster jab.

Longer-term

Margaret Jones said: “While first and second vaccinations are still providing people with good levels of protection from the virus, a booster dose can give people longer-term protection against getting seriously ill from COVID-19.

“Most people will be offered a booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine, which may be different from their previous jabs, but they remain safe and effective.”

Best protection

Mrs Jones also urged anyone who has yet to get their first or second jab, to do so as soon as possible. She said: “The NHS reporting that is seeing 14 times as many Covid patients as this time last year and warning that the number of young people being admitted to hospital for COVID is on the rise.

“Vaccination is still the best protection against coronavirus whatever your age and I would urge anyone eligible to get their first or second jab to get them as soon as possible. Just visit www.nhs.uk/coronavirus-vaccination or call 119 today.

 

Swab Squad Locations: 8th – 14th November 2021

Our Swab Squads are out across Sefton over the coming week, providing free lateral flow testing, collection of home testing kits and vaccination information and advice.
  • Monday 8th November – Asda Aintree – 08:30am until 16:30pm
  • Tuesday 9th November – Blundellsands Station – 08:30am until 16:30pm
  • Wednesday 10th November – Asda Aintree – 08:30am until 16:30pm
  • Thursday 11th November – Waterloo Town Hall – 08:30am until 16:30pm
  • Friday 12th November – St Leonards – 08:30am until 16:30pm
  • Saturday 13th November – Blundellsands Station – 08:30am until 16:30pm
  • Sunday 14th November – Blundellsands Station – 08:30am until 16:30pm

Vaccination clinics

Whether you need your first, second or booster jab, there are lots of places to get your vaccination across Sefton. Anyone in Sefton aged 18 and over, can find a walk-in vaccination site or book a vaccination appointment at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus-vaccination or by calling 119 free. And those over 16 are also eligible and can book their first vaccine online or go to a walk-in session.

Mobile Testing in Sefton – December 2021

Throughout November , drive-through Mobile Testing Units will be available across the Borough.
These sites are for people with symptoms – a new persistent cough, a high temperature or a loss of sense of taste or smell – and can be booked by calling 119 or visiting www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.
Planned dates and sites may be subject to change if testing is required in other locations:

Dates and locations for December 2021

  • Wednesday 1 Litherland Sports Park
  • Thursday 2 Maghull Town Hall
  • Friday 3 Maghull Town Hall
  • Saturday 4 Southport, Esplanade Park and Ride
  • Sunday 5 Southport, Esplanade Park and Ride
  • Monday 6 Southport, Esplanade Park and Ride
  • Tuesday 7 – closed due to Storm Barra making conditions unsafe.
  • Wednesday 8 Litherland Sports Park
  • Thursday 9 Maghull Town Hall
  • Friday 10 Maghull Town Hall
  • Saturday 11 Southport, Esplanade Park and Ride
  • Sunday 12 Southport, Esplanade Park and Ride
  • Monday 13 Litherland Sports Park
  • Tuesday 14 Litherland Sports Park
  • Wednesday 15 Litherland Sports Park
  • Thursday 16 Maghull Town Hall
  • Friday 17 Maghull Town Hall
  • Saturday 18 Southport, Esplanade Park and Ride
  • Sunday 19 Southport, Esplanade Park and Ride
  • Monday 20 Southport, Esplanade Park and Ride
  • Tuesday 21 Litherland Sports Park
  • Wednesday 22 Litherland Sports Park
  • Thursday 23 Maghull Town Hall
  • Friday 24 NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Saturday 25 NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Sunday 26 NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Monday 27 NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Tuesday 28 NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Wednesday 29 NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Thursday 30 NO MOBILE TESTING
  • Friday 31 NO MOBILE TESTING

Our mobile Swab Squads are out this week.

Check our @SeftonCouncil Twitter feed for dates and locations. 

Walk-through test centres

In addition, local walk-through test centres are open , providing easy access to COVID-19 tests for people who do not have access to a car and for those who have symptoms and should not travel by public transport.

These are at:

  • Splash World car park – open from 8am to 6pm seven days a week.
  • Bootle Strand site, the former H Samuel unit, is open 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and from 10am to 4pm on Sundays.

Those with symptoms wanting tests, need to book ahead of going to either the walk-through or drive-through sites. It’s quick and easy to book by calling 119 or going online at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.

Find out more about COVID in Sefton, including testing and vaccinations.

Search Box