Please follow & like us

Commissioner reopens fund to help communities prevent crime

Organisations which help to prevent crime and protect communities in Merseyside are being invited to apply for a share of a fund aimed at helping building stronger, safer communities.

This is the fifth year that Merseyside’s Police Commissioner Jane Kennedy has opened the Crime Prevention Fund which is used to help charities, community groups and social enterprises stop problems before they occur, by reducing the opportunities for crime and by deterring people away from becoming involved in anti-social and criminal behaviour.

A total of £135,000 is available from the fund and the Commissioner is inviting groups to submit bids of between £5,000 and £25,000 for innovative community safety projects or schemes that will run over the next 12 months. For the last three years, the Commissioner has specifically urged organisations that are working to tackle the underlying causes of serious and organised crime to apply for funding and this has again been made a priority for this round of funding.

Jane said: “Serious and organised crime is, for many people in our region, their greatest concern. It blights our communities, bringing misery and harm and causing decent, ordinary people to live in fear.

“Merseyside Police allocates extensive resources to tackling this issue, but we cannot simply ‘police’ our way of this issue.  We need to work with all our partners, particularly those in the community and voluntary sector to address the deep-seated, and often complex, causes of serious violence.

“Local people understand their communities better than anyone and know what will work best to improve their area.  We are fortunate to have a wealth of voluntary and community groups which are working hard to prevent people, especially young people from getting involved with this type of crime and I want to hear from them.

“Through the Crime Prevention Fund, I want to see what more can be done to tackle this issue and with these grants I hope I can give organisations which are trying to address the root causes of this issue a valuable cash boost which will help to make a difference to communities across Merseyside.”

Last year, 14 grassroots organisations were chosen to share £135,000 from the Crime Prevention Fund from a total of 75 bids submitted. Many of the projects focused on preventing young people from getting involved with crime.

Next of kin: William Henry Topham

Sefton Coroner’s Office is appealing for information to find the next of kin of a man from Bootle who recently passed away. 

70-year-old William Henry Topham died at his home address in Clare Road, Bootle on Friday, 18 January 2019.

His death is not being treated as suspicious.

Anyone with information is asked to contact 0151 934 4566.

Next of kin: Thomas Anthony Gordon

Sefton Coroner’s Office is appealing for information to find the next of kin of a man from Bootle who recently passed away.

74-year-old Thomas Anthony Gordon died at his home address in New Strand, The Palatine, Bootle on Sunday 5 May.

His death is not being treated as suspicious.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Sefton Coroner’s office on 0151 934 2746.

Free adult education courses offer “second chance to everyone”, says Metro Mayor

Low-income learners across the Liverpool City Region will be able to access free level two courses thanks to support from the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority for a scheme that fulfils Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram’s election pledge to “give a second chance to everyone”.

The city region’s devolution agreement means that the Combined Authority is now responsible for £51.3m funding for adult education courses for residents of the Liverpool City Region.

And Devolution has enabled the Liverpool City Region to raise the threshold on a scheme to fully fund more people on low wages to improve their skills.

That means that free level two courses will now be available to people earning up to the Real Living Wage – £17,550 per year – rather than the previous threshold of £16,009.

Speaking about the change, Steve Rotheram, Metro Mayor of the Liverpool City Region, said: “In my election manifesto I pledged to deliver a second chance for everyone and, as we take over responsibility for adult education funding, I’m proud that we are now able to fund free training for people earning less than the real living wage.

“This means that adults who may have missed out on educational opportunities the first time round will have the opportunity to improve their skills and advance their careers.  Having new powers over adult education has enabled us to make a decision that will directly benefit more people in the city region. This is only an initial step in ensuring our skills system if fairer and more equitable.  This is what devolution is all about.”

Councillor Ian Maher, Liverpool City Region Combined Authority Portfolio Holder for Education, Employment, Skills and Apprenticeships, said: “This decision has enabled us to ensure that more low-waged residents of the city region can access the training they need to progress in the work place.  That is good news for them and good news for local businesses and exactly the kind of thing that devolution enables us to do.”

TUC North West Regional Secretary Lynn Collins welcomed the move and said: “This change will widen participation in learning and presents a great opportunity to support residents who are in low wage and low skilled jobs to gain new skills and progress.”

Liverpool City Region will also become the first combined authority to run a series of “Test and Learn” pilots offering training in the vital areas of English and Maths, Digital Skills and ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages), supported with £1.95 million from the Adult Education Budget.

The bulk of the £51.3 million Adult Education Budget will support adult education delivered by the city region’s further education colleges, local authorities and other learning providers.

Missing: Thomas James Proudlock

Merseyside Police is becoming increasingly concerned for the whereabouts of Thomas James Proudlock.

Mr Proudlock, 28 years was last seen at his home address in Beresford Drive, Southport on Friday, 3 May.

He is described as white, 5ft 8in and of medium build. He has short brown hair, which is described as being longer on top. He is normally unshaven or has a full beard and speaks with a Liverpool accent.

He was last seen wearing a red tartan shirt, black jeans and carrying a black waterproof rucksack.

Mr Proudlock has links to Liverpool, Southport, Lytham St Anne and Lancashire.

Officers would urge Mr Proudlock or anyone who has seen him since Friday, 3 May to contact 101 or @MerPolCC

Search Box