Please follow & like us

Sefton declares unwavering support for White Ribbon Day 2022

Sefton Council is supporting the national White Ribbon campaign’s 16 Days of action to help eradicate domestic abuse across the borough.

White Ribbon Day 2022, which falls on Friday November 25th, aims to raise awareness about the challenges — and dangers — women and girls face in day to day life.

The 2022 campaign coincides with the start of the United Nation’s 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence and campaigners have identified 11 traits people can pledge to show in support of women and girls. 

While the 16 Days of Activism is welcomed by Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, she said it comes at a time when many women and girls will be fearing an increase in cases of domestic abuse.

Previous research has shown that during football tournaments, like in the ongoing World Cup, domestic abuse has risen dramatically.

Figures jumped by up to 27% during England World Cup games and reached 32% when they were defeated. But figures also rose when England won.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said: “Whether it is physical emotional or sexual, domestic abuse and coercive control that can go with it is unacceptable at any time.

“We fully support White Ribbon Day 2022 and the 16 Days of Activism that follows and we ask men everywhere to recognise the necessity for them to stand up and take responsibility in working towards a future without violence against women.

“The first step towards this is wearing a white ribbon and making the promise to never commit, excuse or remain silent about male violence against women.

“Right now there will be people, and statistics show the vast majority of them will be women, across Sefton living in fear while the World Cup is taking place.

“Because abusers can be controlling making leaving an abusive relationship very hard, it is vital that friends and family support someone they suspect is being abused.

“Encourage them to speak to you or a professional about what is going on.”

Cllr Hardy said the tell-tale signs to look out for can include the person making excuses for their abuser’s behaviour, a high incidence of sickness absence or a nervousness talking openly when their abuser is around.

She added: “In an emergency, people should always dial 999 but if they want to find out how they can support someone they suspect is being abused, they should visit www.sefton.gov.uk/domestic-abuse.”

Sefton spreads christmas cheer with special communitrees

Sefton Council is once again helping to spread seasonal cheer across the Borough with cut and living Christmas trees for its communities.

Following extensive hard work over the last year, the local authority’s Communities & Neighbourhoods officers have ensured that as many areas of the Borough as possible have access to their own festive firs.

Twelve trees, all sustainably sourced, will be lit up and decorated in a host of festive themes as the Borough comes together to celebrate Christmas.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said:  “A lot of work goes into this project behind the scenes, with plans being put together from early summer 

“In cases where a cut tree is installed, we have a duty to ensure that it is sourced sustainably, will continue to contribute positively to the environment while in situ.

“The living tree project, which began in 2017, was part of a widely praised sustainability plan to ensure communities had access to a Christmas tree which would develop and grow within its adopted surroundings.”

Work is now underway to reassess the living tree project and explore a number of sustainable options now available to the local authority.

Community groups and schools who wish to recycle any cut trees following the 2022 festive period for educational or ecology uses can email Kerry.pavey@sefton.gov.uk for more information.

/Ends

Grab a jab on the Living Well bus this weekend

The Living Well bus is returning to Sefton on Saturday 26 November to offer first, second or booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to Sefton residents and the seasonal (autumn) booster for those eligible.

Living Well BusThe bus will be parked in the Morrisons Maghull store car park this Saturday from 10:30am-4pm and residents can come along throughout the day with no appointments needed.

The team will be offering the seasonal (autumn) booster to those who are currently eligible. You can find more details about this on the NHS website at: www.nhs.uk/covid-vaccination. COVID-19 vaccines will be available for anyone aged five and older who has not yet been vaccinated, or who has missed their second jab or first booster dose.

Jan Leonard, primary care lead for Sefton at NHS Cheshire and Merseyside said: “We’re proud to offer this service, which is led by Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, to help our busy residents and seldom-heard communities boost their immunity during winter.

“The bus has travelled to areas in Sefton with low vaccine uptake and has supported residents with learning disabilities and our homeless population to get protected against getting seriously ill with the virus.”

On the Living Well bus’s last stop in Sefton teams gave a first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine to six homeless residents and autumn boosters to 17, which they said they would have otherwise not have been able to get.

Jan continued: “We’re proud to be able to offer this essential protection and would urge any other residents who haven’t yet had any doses of the vaccine to take up the offer.

“It doesn’t take long, and it will mean you can feel reassured about seeing friends and family during the festive period. COVID-19 is still around and the vaccine is still the best way to protect yourself and others.”

The Living Well bus is the first service of its kind in England, and travels to the heart of communities to ensure that people can access the COVID-19 vaccine.

The service has delivered more than 7,000 COVID-19 vaccinations across Cheshire and Merseyside to date, and has visited locations across Sefton including Bootle, Netherton, Crosby and Southport, administering 542 COVID-19 vaccines to residents so far, with 518 of these being autumn booster doses.

The Living Well bus is visiting different parts of Sefton regularly. Find the latest updates on dates and locations by following us on Twitter at: twitter.com/SeftonPartners.

You can find out more about the COVID-19 vaccine, who is eligible, and to book an appointment online or find other walk-in vaccination sites on the NHS website: www.nhs.uk/covid-vaccination.

Cabinet to hear Sandway Business Plan update as home sales proceed

L – R Nichola Howarth from Together Housing; Jackie (homeowner); Mary Corry, Customer Sales Advisor, Sandway Homes
L – R Nichola Howarth from Together Housing; Jackie (homeowner); Mary Corry, Customer Sales Advisor, Sandway Homes

At their meeting next week, Sefton Council’s Cabinet members are being provided with an update of how its’ arm’s-length development company is delivering new homes.

Sandway has now sold properties on its Crossens and Ainsdale developments to 36 families, couples, and first-time buyers. Twenty-three plots on the two developments, Hey Farm Gardens and Sandy Brook, have been completed.

First-time buyers

Several first-time buyers have secured plots through Sandway’s involvement in the Government’s Help to Buy scheme and the company is also providing homes for shared ownership. And the 13 apartments it will provide to Sefton Council are the Borough’s first new council housing since 2006.

The update on Phase 1 of Sandway’s business plan at next week’s meeting explains that despite the good progress with sales, industry-wide supply chain issues has resulted in delays for both sites. Hey Farm Gardens’ 30 properties will now be completed by May and the 48 new homes at Meadow Lane’s will be finished by July.

Work on the 63 new homes at Sefton Grange in Netherton will now start in April next year with completion expected by April 2026.

September budget statement

Next week’s report also highlights the impact that external economic factors including that rising interest rates resulting from central Government’s September budget statement combined with the highest inflation rates for 40 years are having on Sandway’s business plan. Unsurprisingly, higher mortgage rates, lenders’ withdrawal of mortgage products and people having less money in their pocket is having an impact on the housing market. Additionally, inflation is pushing up construction costs and causing supply chain issues.

In an updated financial forecast, the report says that the overall profit that would be payable to the Council remains in line with that of the original approved business case in 2019. Capital receipts of ÂŁ2.2 million for the three development sites would still be payable to the Council.

Recognising the ongoing volatility of the UK economy resulting from the September budget statement, the report says it is important that the Council is provided with “comprehensive risk-assessed reports”.

Sandway hard hatCorrect decision 

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said: “Hearing one of the people moving into their new home through a shared ownership scheme say it is a dream she thought was beyond her grasp demonstrates that our decision to develop housing across the Borough by creating Sandway was correct.

“However, like so many aspects of life for people across Sefton, the widely-acknowledged disaster that was the previous Prime Minster’ September Budget statement is now having a negative impact.

“Understandably, the perilous state of the British economy is having an effect on Sandway’s business plan and as this report highlights, while profit levels remain at the forecast 2019 levels, we will continue to work hard with the company to monitor the ongoing situation”

You can find out more about Sandway Homes’ developments here. 

You can find the agenda for next week’s Cabinet meeting here.

Council Cabinet to consider new hospitality company business plan

 

Inside The Lake House
Inside The Lake House

At a meeting next week (1st December) Sefton Council’s Cabinet will be asked to approve a new strategy and three-year business plan for the hospitality company running The Lake House in Crosby.

The Lake House

Sefton Hospitality Operations Limited (SHOL), wholly owned by Sefton Council, operates the hospitality offer at The Lake House, as well as a unit at the successful Southport Market.

This new Business Plan follows on from a previous business plan presented to Cabinet in February 2022 and reflects the good start that The Lake House has made, despite the challenges the wider hospitality sector faces at this time, including recovery from the pandemic and the cost of living crisis.

Employment opportunities

However, Sefton Council, and the SHOL Board, remain committed to attracting the very best staff by offering quality full-time, permanent employment opportunities, with all roles paying a real living wage or above, and a wide range of employee support and career development opportunities.  This is reflected in the low turnover of staff, at less than 15%, that is far lower than the present industry average.

Working with the Council’s Sefton@Work team this summer to host a recruitment day attended by 90 people, SHOL were able to recruit 40 new staff. Already 46 new jobs have been created, 83% of whom are Sefton residents. 

Passionate and dedicated team

Speaking about the success of SHOL and The Lake House so far, Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “The Council is delighted with the quality of The Lake House; not just in terms of the food, drink and accommodation on offer at this fantastic location, but also with the quality of customer experience being offered by a passionate and dedicated team.

“The pandemic hit the hospitality sector hard, with many businesses struggling to survive, and to retain their staff. So of course, I’m thrilled to see that our staff turnover is low, and that other businesses in the sector are adopting a similar strategy in terms of working conditions to ensure they are able to attract and retain new talent.  

 â€śThis proves what we’ve been saying all along –  that financial sustainability, a quality customer offer, excellent customer service, and first rate employment opportunities do not have to be mutually exclusive – we don’t believe that we need to have one at the expense of the other, and so far we’re being proved right.

“SHOL is going from strength to strength and has so much more to offer, both for its customers and the local community – demonstrated by the range of exciting events and opportunities in the pipeline for Christmas, and for 2023”

Find out more about The Lake House.

You can find the agenda for next week’s Cabinet meeting here.

Search Box