Please follow & like us

Sefton’s Public Health Director stresses coronavirus test are only for people with symptoms

With a recent survey of the country’s coronavirus testing sites showing a quarter of people turning up for tests did not have symptoms, Sefton’s Director of Public Health Margaret Jones has reminded residents they should only book a test of they have symptoms.

Mrs Jones said: “Testing is a crucial tool in helping prevent the spread of COVID-19 but with the capacity of labs to process tests currently facing an enormous challenge, people should not book a test unless they have symptoms or have not been advised to take a test by a doctor or a public health professional.

“People who do have any of the coronavirus symptoms, which are a high temperature, a persistent new cough or a loss of taste or smell must isolate immediately for 10 days and must stay isolated even if they are waiting test appointment at a nearby location to become available.

“The rest of their household should self-isolate with them while they wait for the results but if they don’t have symptoms, they shouldn’t get a test.

“I know it is frustrating but it is the same for all of us and it’s the best way of making sure we don’t pass on the virus to potentially vulnerable friends and loved ones for whom coronavirus could be very serious or even fatal.”

Social distancing, using face masks and coverings where required and when social distancing is not possible and frequent and thorough handwashing are also vital tools in helping prevent the spread of the virus added Mrs Jones.

She continued: “Additionally, anyone identified as a contact of a positive case through Test and Trace must isolate for the full 14 days even if for some reason they get a negative test during that period. But once again, those people should only book a test if they develop a high temperature, a new continuous cough or they lose their sense of taste or smell.”

Remember the rule of six

Sefton Council wants residents, businesses and visitors to remember the Government’s ‘rule of six’.

Introduced from Monday 14 September, the ‘rule of six’ simplifies and strengthens the guidance on social gatherings. It means people must not meet friends and family you do not live with in a group of more than six, whether indoors or outdoors.

Social gatherings of more than six people will be against the law and the police will be able to disperse any such gatherings and fine individuals involved ÂŁ100, doubling up to a maximum of ÂŁ3,200.

Symptoms

Meanwhile health bosses have been reminding residents and businesses across Sefton and the whole of Cheshire and Merseyside that they should only get a Covid-19 test if they have symptoms of the virus.

There has been a huge increase in the number of people seeking a test for coronavirus, partly due to the return of schools. This has put a strain on the laboratories which process the tests.

Critical moment

Cheshire and Merseyside’s Directors of Public Health are also saying this is a critical moment in the fight to halt the spread of the virus in the region and are encouraging all residents to play their part by:

  • washing your hands;
  • avoiding crowds;
  • keeping your distance;
  • using face coverings;
  • staying at home and getting tested if you have symptoms.

On Friday, when it was announced that the Government has identified Merseyside as an ‘area of concern’ owing to rising number of COVID-19 cases, Sefton Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher called upon people and businesses to continue with social distancing and follow the revised guidelines.

Impressive efforts

He praised the ‘impressive efforts of local people and businesses which, he said, had been reflected in recent low numbers of cases. However, he went on to warn infections in Sefton are being spread through people’s social networks, whether at home, at work or out and about among people of all ages.

“Those people may be only mildly affected by COVID-19 and some are asymptomatic, but our real concern is how these people can still spread the infection, including to their loved ones at home who may be vulnerable and far more seriously affected,” he warned.

Required measures

Cllr Maher also stressed the need for Sefton’s businesses to ensure they are protecting their customers and staff by having all the required measures in place. These include Test and Trace arrangements for pubs, bars and restaurants, distancing and cleaning procedures and face coverings where required.

He said: “We really appreciate the huge efforts and sacrifices Sefton’s population and business have made to work with us to protect vulnerable people across our communities. Now we need them to continue those efforts and prevent tighter restrictions being re-introduced.”

You can read the Government’s latest guidance to meeting with others safely  and social distancing here

Sefton Council Leader responds to Merseyside being added to Government’s COVID watchlist

Cllr Ian Maher
Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher

Responding to today’s announcement that Merseyside has been identified by the Government as one of two new areas of concern owing to rising number of COVID-19 cases, Sefton Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher said:

“In the light of this news, it’s essential that every single one of Sefton’s residents and businesses continue the great efforts they have made already to prevent us going into lockdown.

“The willingness and efforts of local people and the vast majority of the Borough’s businesses to follow the guidelines and implement the measures required have been impressive and were reflected in low numbers of cases recently. However, this current rise is a cause for concern.

Working age

“Infections in Sefton are spread across the Borough through people’s familiar social networks, whether at home, at work or out and about and while we are seeing cases being reported in people of all ages, those in the group from 20-60 are prevalent.

“Those people may be only mildly affected by COVID-19 and some are asymptomatic, but our real concern is how these people can still spread the infection, including to their loved ones at home who may be vulnerable and far more seriously affected.

Indoor meetings

“It’s vital that local people continue with social distancing and follow the Government’s recently revised guidelines restricting indoor meetings to members of two different households and keeping numbers at outdoor gatherings to a maximum of six. Wearing masks and face coverings where required and frequent, thorough hand-washing are also crucial.

“Sefton’s businesses need to ensure they are protecting their customers and staff by having all the required measures in place, including Test and Trace arrangements for pubs, bars and restaurants, distancing and cleaning procedures and face coverings where required.

Testing

“Also, we need those people who develop the coronavirus symptoms of a high temperature, or a new continuous cough, or a loss or change to their sense of smell or taste, to get a test immediately, for their own safety and the safety of others. They just need to visit www.nhs.uk/coronavirus  or call 119 to make an appointment at their nearest available Test Centre.  Home testing kits are also available on request.”

“And finally, it is vitally important that if any Sefton residents are contacted by the Test and Trace programme that they comply with the requests of the contact tracers and stay home if they are asked to do so.

Efforts and sacrifices

“We really appreciate the huge efforts and sacrifices Sefton’s population and business have made to work with us to protect vulnerable people across our communities. Now we need them to continue those efforts and prevent tighter restrictions being re-introduced.”

You can read the Government’s latest guidance to meeting with others safely  and social distancing here.

Launch of 30 Days of Sefton in Mind

sefton in mindOn World Suicide Prevention Day Sefton Council is launching this year’s 30 Days of Sefton in Mind campaign.

Now in its fourth year, 30 Days of Sefton in Mind happens during the 30 days that fall between World Suicide Prevention Day and World Mental Health Day (10 October).

During this time, we will be promoting positive mental health across the borough and highlighting the many services available on our My Sefton website and across social media using the hashtag #SeftonInMind.

With the added impact of COVID19, our campaign this year asks, ‘Are you okay?’, with the hope that this question starts a conversation about stress or anxiety linked to various issues.  For example, residents might be worried about loneliness, financial difficulties, employment, social isolation or a lack of support. The campaign will provide information about local solutions to problems, such as financial support, friendship groups, or ideas for physical activities which can reduce feelings of isolation.

The campaign is led by Sefton Council and supported by Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust, North West Boroughs Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, NHS South Sefton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), NHS Southport and Formby CCG and Sefton Council for Voluntary Service.

Cllr Paul Cummins, Mental Health Champion for Sefton Council said:

“With the unprecedented impact of COVID19 we need to promote positive mental health in Sefton now more than ever.”

“As we adapt to a world altered by the pandemic, levels of isolation, distress and anxiety increase. It is vital that we continue work together with our partners to provide services for people struggling with mental health and make sure that people know there is lots of support for them.”

Action could be taken at COVID-denying business – update

Update – Wednesday 9 September

Our Environmental Health Officers visited the premises concerned yesterday and also had a constructive meeting with the Salon’s owner this morning.

The poster has been taken down permanently we are satisfied that all the measures currently required for the safe operation of the premises are in place and will be holding ongoing discussions to ensure this remains the case.

Environmental Health officers were made aware that the business has been claiming in a poster that masks are not being worn at the salon despite rules requiring staff to wear surgical face masks and visors to limit the spread of the disease. The poster also denies the existence of COVID-19, which has been the cause of death for over 1,000 people in Merseyside hospitals, and bans mention of the pandemic.

Cllr Paulette Lappin Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services said: “Once our Environmental Health team was made aware of this disappointing situation, we contacted the owner of the company and have arranged a visit today. We will be meeting with the owner on Wednesday morning.

“If the situation cannot be resolved satisfactorily during this meeting, and we are not satisfied that measures to keep customers and staff safe are in place, we will consider taking formal enforcement action.”

Merseyside Police officers will be attending the salon today to speak to the staff and owner to make sure they are aware of their responsibilities.

Sefton Council is reminding local businesses and their customers of the importance of following the Government’s COVID-19 guidance, which includes the distancing, cleaning and face-covering measures required to help keep clients and staff safe. For customers, this means following any of the measures in place for their protection and making sure they provide any Test and Trace information requested on arrival.

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: “As well as protecting individual businesses and their customers, these measures are there to support the whole economy by helping to reduce the possibility of a wider COVID-19 outbreak and the potential need to introduce local restrictions, which would have a negative effect on everyone.”

Sefton Community Policing Superintendent Graeme Robson said: “My officers will be visiting the salon to speak to the staff and manager and reminding them of their continued responsibilities around Covid-19 and the safety and wellbeing of their staff and customers.

“We will also be linking in with colleagues in the Environmental Health team at Sefton Council.

“We continue to remind the public and our local businesses that they should be continuing to follow the current Government guidance around social distancing, face coverings and Test and Trace.”

Sefton Council’s Environmental Health team has been working with businesses across the Borough to help them put in place the measures needed to keep employees and customers safe.

Search Box