Please follow & like us

Panto meets Eco as Sefton’s Eco Centre & The Atkinson theatre team up for Christmas competition

Illustration of stage curtains with details of the Eco Panto.Southport Eco Centre’s popular Christmas campaign is back this year with a new twist.

Sefton Council’s Education Service has teamed up with The Atkinson and the cast of the upcoming pantomime Cinderella to help spread some Christmas cheer and some important eco messages about how we can all reduce, reuse and recycle over the festive period.

Interactive online competition

The campaign is supported by an interactive online competition running from the Wednesday1st to Sunday 12th December.

Participants are invited to visit www.southportecocentre.com/christmas and the open the stage door on each day where they can learn from the cast members, ways we can all be more eco-friendly. Entrants can download the entry form and match up the panto characters with their messages to be in with a chance of winning free family ticket to the show.

Further awareness

Darren Lloyd, resident teacher at the Eco Centre and designer of the campaign said: “We know Christmas is a fantastic time for our children, but it is also a testing time for our planet due to amount of waste generated during the period.

“We know that many schools, children and parents were really proactive on the recent COP26 Conference and we hope this campaign will help you all build on that momentum and raise further awareness and a call for action.”

The campaign is part of the centre’s work with the Merseyside Waste and Recycling Authority.

Eco-friendly Christmas

Carl Beer, Chief Executive at Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority said: “A considerable amount of waste is created this time of year, but Christmas doesn’t need to cost the earth. We’re proud to support the Southport Eco Centre’s 12 Days of Christmas campaign to show residents the importance of having an eco-friendly Christmas.

We’re encouraging residents to think before you buy, buy only what you need and reuse and recycle everything you can. We can all reduce the amount of waste we produce and fight against climate change.”

Magic

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Sefton Council Cabinet Member for Regulatory, Compliance and Corporate Services said:

“This is a great opportunity for young people in Sefton to learn some important eco-messages that are touched with the magic of Christmas.

“And for them to win the chance of a family trip to Cinderella at The Atkinson at the same time.”

The campaign is kindly supported by the Atkinson and Southport BID with a family ticket to the pantomime and two Southport Gift Cards up for grabs. The Deadline for entries is Wednesday 15th December.

Find out more here. 

Visit The Atkinson website.

 

Sefton Council Leader ‘confident’ Borough’s people & businesses will continue to protect each other as new COVID-19 variant announced

Cllr Ian Maher
Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher

Cllr Ian Maher has said he is confident people across the Borough will continue to do all they can to protect themselves and others from COVID-19.

Best non-clinical protection

Responding to the announcement on Saturday that cases of the new Omicron COVID-19 variant had been found in the UK, Cllr Maher said: “It’s expected that the government will introduce precautionary measures this week, including the compulsory wearing of facemasks in shops and on public transport.

“Wearing face masks in busy and indoor public spaces, is what we have been advising, particularly as a recent global study found masks provide the best non-clinical protection for ourselves and others.

“It’s a minimum effort or inconvenience that can do so much to prevent us, our friends and loved ones and others from COVID-19 as well as other seasonal viruses such as flu.”

Cllr Maher also urged everyone eligible for a vaccination, whether their first, second or a booster to book their appointment now by calling 119 or visiting  www.nhs.uk/coronavirus-vaccination.

Vaccine confidence

He said: “Work is underway to find out more about the new variant, but experts are confident that our current vaccines will continue to be our best line of defence.

“Over the coming days, the Government is expected to widen the group of people who can book booster vaccinations, which are currently are available to people aged over 40 and in other specific groups.

“I would encourage people to keep an eye on the latest developments and book a jab as soon as they become eligible.

“And if you’ve missed you first and second vaccination, it’s not too late to book them now.”

Information and updates are also available on the Sefton Council website at www.sefton.gov.uk/covid19

Tests

Sefton Council is still reminding anyone who starts to show COVID symptoms of a high temperature, a new persistent cough or a loss of taste or smell, should book a PCR test by calling 119 or visiting www.nhs.uk/coronavirus. And it is recommending that people out and about on a regular basis, meeting up with groups or attending indoor events to carry out regular tests using the rapid home test kits available free from pharmacies and other locations.

Swab Squads will be out across Sefton over the coming week, providing free lateral flow testing kits and vaccination information and advice. Details will be published on the Council’s @SeftonCouncil Twitter feed.

Efforts and sacrifices

Cllr Maher added: “People and businesses across Sefton have made great efforts and sacrifices to look after each other and themselves throughout the pandemic and I want to thank them again for that.

“I am confident that when asked to do simple things like wearing masks and getting vaccinated they will continue to do so, which will vastly improve the chances that we can all enjoy the Christmas we missed out on last year.”

Sefton businesses offered second chance to apply for Trading On Scheme grant

Eligible businesses have until Friday 10th December to apply for a Trading On grant
Eligible businesses have until Friday 10th December to apply for a Trading On grant

Liverpool City Region leaders have extended the grant application window for the Trading On Scheme, to encourage more businesses affected by Covid-19 to secure financial support.

The second application window is open from 10am on Monday 29th November until 5pm on Friday 10th December 2021.

Last month, Liverpool City Region leaders announced that they had secured a further £8.1m in emergency funding to support businesses across all six local authority areas in their post-pandemic recovery.

The additional funds are to be shared with small or medium-sized businesses, with between 10 and 249 employees, as part of the Trading On Scheme.

More than 100 Sefton-based businesses applied for a share of the £1.4million allocation set aside for the Borough during the first application window. Existing applicants will be contacted in the coming weeks and do not need to re-submit an application.

Businesses who did not apply initially, now have another fortnight to check their eligibility and apply via an online form. 

Sefton based businesses can find guidance and further details about the application process on the Sefton Council website: www.sefton.gov.uk/tradingonscheme 

In a joint statement issued at the launch of the scheme, Liverpool City Region Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram, Cllr Mike Wharton, Leader, Halton Borough Council, Cllr Graham Morgan, Leader, Knowsley Borough Council, Joanne Anderson, Mayor of Liverpool, Cllr Ian Maher, Leader, Sefton Borough Council, Cllr David Baines, Leader, St. Helens Borough Council and Cllr Janette Williamson, Leader, Wirral Borough Council said:

“Throughout the past 18 months, we have worked together to protect our region from the biggest challenge it has faced since the war. That collaboration, creativity and hard work resulted in millions of pounds of support that helped sustain thousands of businesses in all parts of our region through the worst of the pandemic.

“More than £44m was distributed to more than 4,000 businesses, saving many more thousands of jobs and livelihoods in the process. We start our recovery from a much stronger position as a result.

“That recovery is already well underway and received a massive boost in May, with the launch of Mayor Steve Rotheram’s £150m Covid Recovery Fund, which has allowed our region to get a headstart on the rest of the country.

“Now we’re launching another £8.1m of funding for SMEs, who make up a massive chunk of the local economy. Together, we are making sure that the Liverpool City Region has the fastest and strongest recovery possible, with no one left behind.”

The government requires each council to exercise its local knowledge and judgment in devising a grant scheme that aligns best with the particular economic characteristics of its area by funding those businesses that have been severely impacted by Covid-19. Because of this and the limited amount of funding available, the amounts of grant funding for individual businesses will vary across different local authority areas.

How Sefton Council has supported its local businesses during the pandemic

Sefton Council has administered 23,000 grant payments through local, regional and national financial support packages and schemes totalling £97.7 million in payments to businesses right across the Borough – from taxi drivers to childminders to pub landlords.

A total of £41.8 million in Business Rates retail discounts were awarded in 2020/21 with a further £22.5 million awarded in 2021/22.

Botanic Gardens lakeside mural to be repainted by its original artist Robert Newbiggin

Artist Robert Newbiggin has been given the green light from Sefton Council to create a replacement mural that will adorn the lakeside area of Southport’s Botanic Gardens.

The current mural was painted by Robert around 14 years ago and local students have added to it as part of their studies. It has weathered in the elements over the years and now Robert has offered his time, at no cost, to replace the mural. 

The new design will depict Victorian scenes within the park, reminding people of the history of the site and its inclusion on the Historic Parks and Gardens Register.

Pastel sketch of the proposed mural background. Victorian figures enjoying the scene will be included in the final design.
Pastel sketch of the proposed mural background. Victorian figures enjoying the scene will be included in the final design.

The initial concept and design have been signed-off by both Sefton Council and the Botanic Gardens Community Association (BGCA).

Robert will now begin the painting process in his studio across a series of boards, that once finished, will be put into position in the park. It is hoped that the project will be completed by spring 2022.  

The Council’s Green Sefton Service works in partnership with the dedicated volunteers of the BGCA to maintain the popular park. The materials required for the mural will be funded by the Association.

Cllr Ian Moncur, Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said:

“I’m so pleased that we’re seeing another of the phased improvements planned for the Botanic Gardens lakeside area coming to fruition. The park has such a rich heritage and the new mural design will really showcase this to both visitors and park users.

“I’d like to thank Rob for offering his time at no cost to undertake the painting in his studio and to the volunteers of the Botanic Gardens Community Association for their contribution for the mural materials.

“I know that the community is very excited about the mural, as well as the wider park improvements, and can’t wait to see it take pride of place by the lake next year, which by that point will be fitted with new aerating fountains too.” 

Robert grew up in Southport and spent a huge part of his teenage years drawing and painting – often in the Botanic Gardens studying and sketching the flora and fauna. His career as a self-taught artist has taken him around the globe, but closer to home people may know him for his Southport town centre mural of Captain Sir Tom Moore that he painted last year.

Robert Newbiggin, said:

“I’m excited to start as I have the boards now, and the fact I’m the artist I am today will make all the difference.”

David Cobham, Botanic Gardens Community Association (BGCA), said:

“The Botanic Gardens Community Association volunteers have kept the existing mural going for the past few years with a new surround. But, time marches on and we are delighted that Rob has offered to carry out the artwork for free to add to his magnificent portfolio.

“The new mural will be far longer lasting, and we are equally delighted to fund the first-class infrastructure materials.”

The new and improved mural installation works follows last month’s news that two aeration fountains have been ordered as part of the first phase of lakeside improvements at the park.

The costs of the fountains have been met by recent fundraising efforts from the Make a Change for Ben group who have donated their funds raised to the BGCA for improvement projects and on-going maintenance within the park.

A longer-term vision to source a multi-million-pound investment for the park remains at the early stages of development. Next steps will include launching a public consultation in 2022.

Anyone interested in helping to shape the developing project, or would like to volunteer in the Botanic Gardens, can contact the Botanic Gardens Community Association at https://botanicgardensca.org.uk/

Christmas is coming to Bootle Canalside

Blurred Xmas tree lightsA gingerbread extravaganza coming to Bootle Canalside with two pop-up events scheduled this Christmas.

Over the weekends of Friday 10th to Sunday 12th and Friday 17th to Sunday 19th December, Bootle Canalside will be decorated for the festive season, featuring a Christmas tree, cosy tipis and gingerbread people on stilts.

Tipis

Food and drink will be served from Bootle Canalside’s trademark shipping containers in a nod to Bootle’s industrial past, and people will be seated in a cosy, covered tipis surrounded by barrels and benches in true Bavarian style.

There will be activities for all the family including crafts and storytelling to bring Christmas to Canalside. A gingerbread trail through the Strand will lead out onto the Canalside.

Thousands

This Christmas extravaganza is the latest on the site after the successful August Bank Holiday pop-up market which saw thousands of people descend on the new Bootle destination.

Since then, improvements have been made to the site including the start of construction of a brand-new staircase giving access from Stanley Road, extensive utilities and resurfacing works to improve its look and feel.

These Christmas pop-up events will be yet another chance for the community to leave their feedback before the final design of the site is confirmed and installed in 2022. The August Bank Holiday event saw over 500 responses left and it is hoped local people will continue to shape the site and help guide its development into a true community space in the heart of Bootle.

Thrilled

Cllr Ian Maher, Leader of Sefton Council said: “I am thrilled to see a fantastic festive community event planned for Bootle Canalside this Christmas.

“The last event we held on the site back in August was a great opportunity to hear from the community and really listen to what the people of Bootle want from the Canalside site. This event will give people another opportunity to be a part of Bootle Canalside’s future.

“Bootle has been hit hard in recent times, not least due to the impact of covid and the disappointing news that Government had rejected Bootle’s bid for Levelling up funding. Nevertheless, Sefton Council remains committed to building a thriving town centre that works for everyone. The regeneration of Bootle must put community at its heart and projects like this bring a renewed optimism to our town centre.

“I hope people will join me in following the gingerbread trail through the Strand and out onto Bootle Canalside for a hot mulled wine or a delicious, spiced latte!”

Search Box