Please follow & like us

Clean-up marks start of Sefton allotment consultation

Sefton Council staff and volunteers have come together to give a boost to a Crosby allotment site in the week the Council’s Green Sefton team has launched a new public consultation on the future of the Borough’s allotments.

clean-up day at Crosby’s Scape Lane allotments
clean-up day at Crosby’s Scape Lane allotments

Supported by ten or more of the site’s tenants, Crosby’s 4th Scout leaders and Crosby Rotary, the clean-up day at Crosby’s Scape Lane allotments saw waste removed and plots restored. The first skip was filled in in two and half hours and surplus plant pots have been donated to Green Sefton’s Natural Alternatives scheme at Southport’s Botanic Gardens.

The clean-up comes as Green Sefton begin the consultation to develop a long-term allotments strategy to ensure local residents can get the best out of them.

Current allotment holders, people on the waiting list for an allotment and also the general population are being asked to take part in the questionnaire which can be found on Sefton Council’s Consultation Hub at https://yourseftonyoursay.sefton.gov.uk/ and is open until Friday 13th August 2021. 

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing said: “Allotments have proved themselves to be an invaluable asset for tenants throughout the lockdown, remaining open when other services closed. The Council has been active in the last year in targeting issues on our allotment sites and helping tenants to get some plots back into use as some people have struggled to visit sites owing to being vulnerable to Coivd-19.

Beautiful allotment in Birkdale
Beautiful allotment in Birkdale

“We have supported efforts to remove waste at sites and have been working with Allotment Associations to give a boost to sites in the future.

“We are now launching this consultation, which will help us develop a strategy to maximise the use of allotments and the satisfaction of allotment holders.”

Demand for Sefton’s allotments is high and has grown during the pandemic, which means waiting times for a plot can be long. Uncultivated plots are re-let, and some half-plots have been made available to increase the opportunities for people to get started.

The survey asks users their views on current allotment provision and facilities and people on the waiting list their motivation for wanting an allotment. Feedback will be used to formulate the new 10-year strategy.

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Ford ward Councillor and allotment holder, said: “As well as being very rewarding, allotment gardening can be good for your physical and mental health and your social life. I am pleased to see Green Sefton progressing the development of an Allotments Strategy. I would urge anyone with even the slightest interest to head over to the consultation on our Your Sefton Your Say website and to have their say on growing the future of Sefton’s allotments.”

clean-up day at Crosby’s Scape Lane allotments
clean-up day at Crosby’s Scape Lane allotments

There are 14 allotment sites in Sefton. Some are managed by the Council and others by Allotment Associations. Plots are usually about 250 square metres and cost just £108 per year for rental of a full plot.

Allotment gardeners usually grow vegetables although some cultivate fruit and flowers as well. Allotments can also be used as a leisure garden and tenants can keep chickens and rabbits are allowed. Bees can also be kept on allotments providing the Green Sefton team is informed in advance.

Tenants are expected to visit, maintain and cultivate their plot to a reasonable Standard and inspections are carried out from time to time. Tenants not meeting requirements may have their tenancy terminated.

Second phase of Mersey Reach development launched

Northwood Urban Logistics has committed to the development of a new trade and industrial park at its Mersey Reach development here in Sefton. The second phase will comprise Mersey Reach Trade Park and offer 12 high specification trade and industrial units between 4,036 and 29,719 sq ft.

Aerial view of Mersey Reach trade park
Aerial view of Mersey Reach trade park

Construction at the park is underway with delivery by developers Chancerygate scheduled for early 2022.

The high-profile development fronting Dunnings Bridge Road will see approximately 40,000 vehicles passing every day and is within 1 mile of the M57/M58 Switch Island motorway intersection giving easy access to the wider regional and national motorway network.

Mersey Reach is supported by Sefton Council’s business growth team, InvestSefton, and employment opportunities will be promoted to nearby residents through the Sefton@Work programme as the second phase attracts more companies.

Councillor Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “It is fantastic to see the second phase of the Mersey Reach development taking off, offering a real sense of confidence about the future of business here in Sefton as we focus on recovery post-pandemic. I have no doubt that this next phase will bring a wealth of training and employment opportunities to our residents.”

To find out how InvestSefton can help your business contact 0151 934 3452 or email investsefton@sefton.gov.uk or visit www.investsefton.com

Environmentally friendly technologies have been incorporated into all areas of the new development. These green initiatives will include low air permeability, 15% warehouse roof lights increasing natural lighting design, high performance insulated cladding and roof materials and electric vehicle charging points.

The commitment to speculatively develop this second phase of Mersey Reach follows the successful leasing of Phase 1, which is 90% let and has attracted companies such as Selco Builders Merchants, Euro Garages, Hardy and Skinny Tonic.

Iain Taylor, director at Northwood Urban Logistics, said: “We’re excited to deliver the next phase of the Mersey Reach development in one of the North West’s most undersupplied markets. We expect the park to gain a lot of interest, especially due to its prime high-profile location and excellent amenities.”

Richard Johnson, director UK industrial and logistics at JLL, added: “Mersey Reach Trade Park sits next to Selco Builders Merchants, which is a strong anchor tenant for the scheme and with 40,000 vehicles passing by every day we expect strong occupier interest, in particular from national and regional trade counter operators. The scheme’s green credentials mean that not only will the units be highly carbon efficient they will also reduce the occupational running costs for occupiers.”

Councillor’s thanks for coastal clean-up

Green Sefton staff at Ainsdale beach
Green Sefton staff at Ainsdale beach

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing has added his thanks to the authority’s Green Sefton teams and volunteers who were out on Sunday clearing up the Borough’s coastline after an influx of visitors on Saturday.

Huge clean-up

Cllr Moncur said: “Sadly, and despite our pleas to take their rubbish home, visitors to our coast on Saturday left us with a huge clean-up job on Sunday.

“We have been prioritising consistent litter clearance and bin emptying, we’ve put skips in place for people to dump their litter and we have as well as providing visitors with free bags for their rubbish.

“But unfortunately, we still find ourselves putting a considerable amount of effort into clearing up after the visitors when they have gone home.

“I saw a number of comments on social media on Sunday, thanking our teams for the work they were doing to clear the rubbish and I would like to add my thanks too, to our staff and the volunteers who work with them to maintain our coastline’s natural beauty.”

Skips

As well as installing the skips Green Sefton have deployed additional Rangers to assist with car park management, beach cleaning and visitors with assistance and advice. Portable loos are located at Crosby and Ainsdale beaches once again – with increased maintenance owing to the high volume of visitors and volunteer ‘beach ambassadors’ are also on hand at peak times to educate visitors on the special nature of the Sefton coastline.

In addition, Ainsdale and Southport beach car parks are now open until the end of September to ease parking complaints in nearby residential areas and variable traffic signs are, once again, being to direct vehicles to locations where parking is available and away from areas that are full. Enforcement of penalties for illegal and inconsiderate parking is also being targeted.

Options and facilities

Anyone planning on coming to the Sefton coast should visit www.sefton.gov.uk/beaches to find out about travel options and facilities at its beaches and to read its Visitor Action Plan for 2021.

Sefton Council continues to work with the Sefton Coast Landscape Partnership that brings together organisations who want to ensure the safety of visitors and residents along the 22-mile coastline. Members include Sefton Council, Merseyside Police, Merseyside Fire and Rescue, British Transport Police, National Trust Formby, Natural England, the RNLI and others.

GP practices are still open and providing service for Sefton’s residents

Andrea and Ron De Cort
Andrea and Ron De Cort

GP practices in Sefton are open and continue to provide services as they have done throughout the pandemic. This means that for patients, your surgery is still providing healthcare services, be it remotely using telephone or video technology, or face to face if safe to do so and deemed necessary by your GP.

One Sefton patient is very thankful that her GP practice was so helpful as she was referred to the right service for her at the right time.

Excellent

Mrs Andrea De Cort, a Sefton resident, talks about her experience with her practice during lockdown: “Myself and my husband Ron have been helped by our GP practice several times during lockdown and I have to say that they have been excellent on each occasion.

“I found two lumps on my right breast in May 2020 and went through the econsult system to let my doctor know about it, I drew sketches of where they were and had a phone call with the receptionist that day who actively listened to everything I had to say. They referred me straight away to the Royal Liverpool Hospital and were brilliant at updating me on my care. What was reassuring was that this was all dealt with within a few days.

“It’s really crucial that people understand that their GP practice is still open for business. You mGP access infographic ight need to deal with them slightly differently to how you have done in the past, but it makes no difference to the standard of treatment you will get.”

Numbers increasing

In Sefton, the number of patients GP practices are seeing, either face to face, over the phone or via a video link, is increasing month on month as surgeries concentrate solely on the healthcare needs of residents having completed their part in vaccinating the most vulnerable people of Sefton in the top nine priority groups during the first phase of the COVID-19 vaccination programme.

Over the last six months GP practices have organised over 666,833 appointments for Sefton residents outside of any vaccination appointments in that time. This is an increase of 20.7% from the previous six months, showing the rising demand GPs are facing.

The threat of infection from COVID-19 still exists and rates in Sefton continue to rise. Patients are being asked to continue to follow guidance in place and take the necessary precautions such as wearing face coverings and practicing good hygiene. Patients are also being asked to be kind to GP practice staff at this busy time and respect the necessary infection control measures that are in place to ensure surgeries stay functional and open.

COVID-secure

GP practice buildings are public buildings and as such must be kept COVID-secure. Your GP practice will already have a process in place for managing entry into the premises to help minimise the risk of anybody spreading the virus. Please continue to follow this.

New ways of providing GP services have been introduced and are still in place in order to maintain access to your GP practice team while protecting you, others and staff. Triage (making an assessment of your condition and prioritising care accordingly) is an important part of how GP practices work. This has always been in place but has been vitally important during the pandemic.

Consultations

Dr Pete Chamberlain, local GP and chair at NHS South Sefton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), said: “We are open and have been providing GP services throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. We have learnt during the pandemic, that we can conduct consultations very well with the vast majority of patients using digital technology. With COVID-19 levels rising we are supporting practices to continue with this approach.

“The majority of common conditions can be assessed and diagnosed by your GP by telephone or video consultation. However, as has been the case throughout the pandemic, if your GP feels that a face to face appointment is required and it is safe to do so, this should be arranged for you. We also continue to provide an Out of Hours GP service at evenings and weekends for those who need it.”

Family and loved ones

Dr Rob Caudwell, local GP and chair of NHS Southport and Formby CCG, said: “Around 25% of people with COVID symptoms are getting a negative flow test result which is why it’s important to go with a PCR test if you do have symptoms, especially as we are seeing levels rising again in Sefton and you can book this on the Gov.uk website.

“Accessing your GP in the correct way for your specific medical need will help to protect you, your family and loved ones – and GP practice staff from the potential risk of the virus.

“We have been busy throughout the pandemic continuing to provide support to patients as well as being an important part of the COVID-19 vaccination programme. Patients are being reminded that staff are here to help and should be treated with kindness and respect.”

Watch videos of Andrea and Ron De Cort talking about how their GP practice has helped them during the pandemic. 

 

WOW ‘Weekend of Walk-ins’ boost to North West vaccine programme

COVID-19 vaccination services across the North West are to stage a bumper Weekend of Walk-ins (WOW) to further increase the number of people with protection against COVID-19.

The extended WOW weekend, which runs from the evening of Thursday 17th June to Sunday 20th June, aims to make it easier and more convenient than ever for eligible people who haven’t had their vaccine yet to come forward – crucially boosting the numbers of people receiving their first and second dose jabs.

It comes as the NHS works through the final cohorts to be called for their vaccine, with those aged 18 and over now being invited to get vaccinated.

People will be able to choose from mobile, pop up and pharmacy-led vaccine sites across the North West, with no appointment needed.

As well as regional vaccination locations listed on the NHS website for the WOW weekend, there are some walk-in vaccinations available at local sites in Sefton on various dates between 19 – 25 June:

Formby – Formby Vaccination Centre, 56 Brow’s Lane, L37 4ED (Saturday 19, 8am to 2pm, Sunday 20 June, 8am – 8pm)

Ainsdale – AshaEve, Unit 1, rear of 56 Station Road, Ainsdale, PR8 3HW (Saturday 19 – Sun 20 June, 8am – 8pm)

Bootle – Davey’s Chemist, Randall Drive, L30 2PB (Monday 21 June – Friday 25 June,  9am – 6pm)

Litherland – Linacre Methodist Mission, Lineacre Road, L21 8NS (Tuesday 22 June, 12pm – 6pm, for second doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, or for those over 40 to get their first dose.)

Other nearby available walk-in locations taking part in the regional WOW weekend are:

Knowsley – Davey’s Chemist, 112 Dinas Lane, L36 2NS

Liverpool – Speke (West), (Outside The Orient PH) 1 Eastern Avenue, L24 2SX

St Helen’s – Saints, The Totally Wicked Stadium, McManus Drive, WA9 3AL

Clinic dates and times for the WOW weekend vary, so residents are encouraged to check the NHS England website for full details and a full list of participating sites: www.england.nhs.uk/north-west/wow-weekend-of-walk-ins/

Vaccines will be available on a first come, first served basis and those with appointments at participating clinics will be able to attend at their timed slot and receive their vaccine as planned.

The initiative will also support efforts to accelerate second doses for those aged 40 and over, health and social care workers, unpaid carers and people at higher clinical risk, who will be able to receive their second dose from 8 weeks after their first, instead of 12.

The weekend of walk-ins kicked off with a match day drop-in vaccine clinic at St Helens Rugby Stadium ahead of the Saints-Warrington game on 17th June.

More than 7.7 million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine have been given in the North West since the vaccination programme – the largest in NHS history – launched six months ago.

Regional Director of Commissioning, Dr Linda Charles-Ozuzu, said: “With the help of NHS staff, partners and volunteers, we’ve made incredible progress with the vaccine programme in the North West and we’re going to boost that success further still with our weekend of walk-ins.

“We know that younger people have busy work, family and social commitments – especially with the Euros football tournament taking place at the moment – and we want to make it as easy as possible for them to come forward quickly when they become eligible.

“We’d also love to welcome people in earlier cohorts who haven’t come forward yet to our walk-in vaccine sessions and if they’ve got any questions, they’ll be able to chat to one of the staff on site first.”

Search Box