Please follow & like us

Temporary timetable changes on Merseyrail’s Southport line to support introduction of new train fleet

Temporary timetable changes on Merseyrail’s Southport line start from Monday 6th March.

Class 777 Merseyrail train at Sandhills
Class 777 Merseyrail train at Sandhills (Pic Troy Baxter)

Brand-new trains

Part of the phased roll-out of the brand- new fleet of Class 777 trains, the changes are to support driver training. They will also affect the Ormskirk and Hunts Cross lines.

On the Southport line, the following Monday to Friday trains will be cancelled:

  • Hunts Cross to Southport – 12:51;
  • Southport to Hunts Cross – 14:13;
  • Hunts Cross to Southport – 15:21;
  • Southport to Hunts Cross – 17:58;
  • Hunts Cross to Southport – 19:06
  • Southport to Hunts Cross – 20:28.

There are no cancellations on the Southport line on Saturdays or Sundays.

Planner

Passengers can use the journey planner at merseyrail.org or use the Merseyrail App for the latest information.

Further announcements will be made ahead of the start of the roll out of the fleet on these lines so passengers will know exactly when to expect their new trains.

Exciting

Suzanne Grant, Commercial Director at Merseyrail, said: “Our driver training programme will be moving across to the Ormskirk line as we move towards the next exciting phase of the roll out of the new trains.

“This does mean a temporary reduction in the frequency of services on the Ormskirk and Southport line while this happens, but we will ensure that a full timetable can be restored as soon as possible.

“We apologise for any inconvenience that this temporary reduction in frequency will cause passengers and look forward to our Ormskirk line passengers experiencing the ground-breaking new trains in the near future.”

You can find out more about Merseyrail services here.

Five-year extension of Sefton Council’s Housing Licensing schemes comes into effect on Wednesday 1st March

Person in their living room, looking happy and holding a mug.An extension of Sefton Council successful Selective and Additional (HMO) Licensing schemes for private rented homes starts this week.

Consultation

Coming into effect on Wednesday 1st March, the extension of the scheme was given the go-ahead after a consultation last year.

Since it introduced Licensing schemes in March 2018, Sefton Council has used them to secure improvements for people living in privately rented properties across the Brough. Over 3,000 serious health and safety hazards, including problems with fire safety, electrical hazards, damp & mould and excess cold, have been removed from licensed properties in that time.

More about the Licensing schemes, details of the properties they cover and how landlords can apply for the required licence, can be found here.  

Hazards

Cllr Trish Hardy Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said: “Approaching 3,900 private rented properties across the Borough are registered through our Selective and Additional (HMO) Licensing schemes, which have enabled us the Council to step in and deal with poor management thousands of hazards being faced by tenants.

In most cases, we have been able to work with landlords to resolve the situations informally, but the Licensing schemes do give us additional powers for formal enforcement action, which we will use if we need to.”

This week Sefton Council is also supporting national Empty Homes Week.

 

Sefton Council supporting Empty Homes Week

Sefton Council is supporting Empty Homes Week 2023, which is taking place from Monday 27th February to Sunday 5th March.

Highlighting successful initiatives

One of this year’s themes is highlighting successful local initiatives by councils across the country that help to bring wasted empty homes back into use.

In Sefton, the Council is introducing an Empty Homes Premium to Council Tax bills to try and tackle the issue.

Charges for properties that have been empty or unfurnished for more than 10 years will be raised by 300% meaning an overall 400% Council Tax charge will be payable. This change will take effect from 1st April 2023.

Council Tax Premium

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said: “At a time when there is a shortage of housing available, bringing properties that have stood empty for a long time back into use for local individuals and families is an important initiative.

“Introducing this significant Council Tax premium will help encourage people with empty properties to bring them back into use or dispose of them on to someone who will.

“As well as providing homes for people who need them, this will put these empty properties back into use, benefiting local communities where such vacant buildings can be a focus for problematic behaviour.”

Sefton Council will be writing to the owners of around 100 empty properties that have been identified as long-term empty to advise them about the introduction Empty Homes Premium. The letters will also explain how they can find advice and support by contacting the Housing Standards team on 0345 140 0845 or email private.housing@sefton.gov.uk.

Supporting owners

Cllr Hardy added: “Where possible, do try to support owners in bringing their empty properties back into use through the advice and assistance of our Housing Standards team.

“However, we do also have a range of powers and where necessary we have taken enforcement action, which has led to over 10 enforced sales in the past three years.

“People concerned about a local property that has been empty for a long time, can contact our Housing Standards team on 0345 140 0845 or email them at private.housing@sefton.gov.uk.

“And anyone who owns such as building can get in touch with the team for advice for how to start the process of bringing them back into use.”

Information about this work and a copy of the Council’s Empty Homes Plan can be found here.

The property beforeCase Study

This property was a poorly managed House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) above a vacant commercial property in the centre of Southport.

The property afterIt was the subject of an Emergency Prohibition Order, due to it being imminently dangerous to be occupied and remained vacant for a year. The Council then carried out an Enforced Sale of the property and as a result it was purchased at auction and fully renovated, bringing both the commercial property back into use along with the residential accommodation above.

 

Sefton Council Leader reaffirms Borough’s support for Ukraine to mark anniversary of invasion.

As the world marks the first anniversary of Russia’s criminal invasion of Ukraine, Sefton Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher has reaffirmed the Borough’s support for “Ukrainians and Russians everywhere who oppose the war”.

Cllr Ian Maher
Council Leader Cllr Ian Maher

Still shocked and dismayed 

In a statement Cllr Maher says: â€œA year ago, when Vladimir Putin invaded Ukraine I said I was shocked and dismayed at his actions.

“Twelve months on I am still just as shocked and dismayed as I’m sure everyone across the world who cherishes democracy peace and freedom, will be.

“Sefton’s support remains firmly with Ukraine and its people, something which has been displayed by the kindness and generosity of local people.

“As well as extending the warmest welcome to those Ukrainian people now living and working in Sefton, I would like to thank all of those who have opened up their homes to people fleeing Vladimir Putin‘s murderous campaign.

“Also, I want to the organisations and individuals, including Sefton Council staff, who have worked so hard to welcome Ukrainians to our Borough, help them settle in safely and start to rebuild their lives albeit on what we all hope is a temporary basis.”

Sefton Homes for Ukraine logoSafe places to live 

Over the last eight months, more than 120 Sefton households have provided safe places to live through the national Homes for Ukraine scheme. Approaching 250 children and adults have come to the Borough through Scheme.

Recognising the impact that the national cost of living crisis was having on those households hosting Ukrainian guests, in December the Council agreed to pay them top-up payments through the winter. These ‘thank you’ payments start from £75 per month for households with one guest rising to £200 per month for those with six.

New jobs 

Cllr Maher continues: â€œThe number of Ukrainian people staying with Sefton households has dropped as some of those guests have moved on to rented properties, started new jobs and in some cases, returned to their home country.

“However, as we continue to support the Homes for Ukraine scheme, we recognise there will be some arrangements that come to an end for other reasons, which is why we would encourage anyone living in Sefton who still wants to offer a home to Ukrainians but has not yet done so, to sign up for the scheme by visiting www.gov.uk/register-interest-homes-ukraine.”

He adds: â€œI want to finish by extending our thoughts to people of all nationalities who are victims of Putin‘s war or who reluctantly find themselves fighting in it.”

To show solidarity with Ukraine and mark the one-year anniversary of the full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine, Sefton Council will be lighting up Southport Town Hall and The Atkinson blue and yellow this weekend. The Ukrainian will also be flown at Bootle and Southport’s town halls.

Minute’s silence 

The Council will also be inviting its staff and people across the Borough to take part in the national minute’s silence at 11am on Friday 24 February to mark the anniversary.

You can find out more the Homes for Ukraine scheme in Sefton here.

Community groups in Sefton can now apply for funding to support initiatives that focus on waste prevention.

Community groups in Sefton can now apply for funding to support initiatives that focus on waste prevention.

Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority and Veolia Community Fund have a total of ÂŁ165,000 available.

Innovative

Innovative waste prevention community initiatives in Sefton could receive between ÂŁ1,000 and ÂŁ8,000. Projects that cover three or more Liverpool City Region districts could receive up to ÂŁ30,000.

Successful applicants will need to show their projects support local community activity to improve waste behaviour through re-use, prevention and recycling, as well as making a difference to the wider community and people’s lives.

Waste prevention, re-use & recycling

Waste prevention includes actions that reduces the amount of waste created by changing people’s behaviour. Re-use includes repairing, upcycling or cleaning activities that mean items can be used again for the same purpose as they were originally intended. And, recycling is when materials are collected and sent to organisations that reprocess the material into new products.

Applications must be submitted by 11.59pm on Sunday 26th March 2022. Funding decisions are expected to be made by early May 2023, with projects needing to be delivered by the end of March 2024.

Sefton Community Groups can find out more and make applications to the Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority and Veolia Community Fund, here.

There are also case studies of previous successful projects to help with applications. 

Photo of people gleaning as part of the Regenerus – The Big Community Glean Up project.Regenerus – The Big Community Glean Up

These case studies include Regenerus – The Big Community Glean Up, a project which involved South Sefton Foodbank and community organisations in Bootle.  Regenerus  aimed to stop food waste and to ensure good food gets into the hands of those who need it the most.

Volunteers were shown how to forage successfully for the food at farms, as well as community gardens and public spaces. They then learned about the different ways to preserve and cook the produce at food workshops.

Ruth Livesey, Business Development Manager at Regenerus, said: â€œWe have gleaned cabbage, cauliflowers, winter veg, onions and pumpkins – the end result has been the same – the fresh produce we glean is distributed to local residents with the help of South Sefton Foodbank and community organisations back in Bootle where it is eaten and enjoyed.”

 

Search Box