Please follow & like us

There is more than meets the eye with local war hero

An heroic centenarian was recently recognised for his exploits during World War Two in a special ceremony at Bootle Town Hall.  

Cyril Askew, 100, late of the King’s Regiment, now the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment, holds the very rare distinction of having serving in two theatres of war during the same conflict.

He was hosted by The Mayor of Sefton, Cllr. Dave Robinson in the Council Chambers on December 5 as he was awarded the Legion d’Honneur for serving at Normandy in World War Two.

Cyril, who hails from Litherland, was typically modest in his account of his exploits:

“I returned home in 1944 having served 7 years as a regular soldier in the 1st Battalion of The King’s Regiment in India.

“I was then attached to the 2nd Battalion of The Lincolnshire Regiment. I was in France from 6 June to 22 July 1944, where I took part in the successful capture of the chateau at Lion-sur-Mer and liberating Caen.

“I was then involved in Operation Goodwood until 20 July, where the Battalion suffered 250 casualties.

Mayor of Sefton, Cllr. Dave Robinson said:

“It is very humbling to spend time in the company of Cyril and other members of the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment. It was a great privilege to present him with his medal for his selfless role in Normandy.

“While it has rightly been an honour to recognise Cyril for his role in France, it is only one part of the story. He was also a Chindit as part of the 1st Battalion of the King’s Regiment in India. To have done both is a very rare feat in indeed, in what was a remarkable military service.

“We really are proud to say that a man as rare and brave as Cyril is one of our own.”

Cyril is the latest Sefton recipient of the Legion D’Honneur. Former flying ace Len McNamara was honoured with the same accolade at Southport Town Hall earlier this month.

Below: Cyril receives his medal from Cllr. Dave Robinson, Mayor of Sefton 

 

Sefton Council reviews Family Centres proposal after community feedback

Sefton Council has listened to its communities and is recommending not to create three Family Wellbeing Centres at this time following overwhelming public feedback.

The Council had been consulting on proposals to have three integrated family and children centre bases for children and young people from 0 to 19 and their families.

More than 1,600 people gave their views during the consultation and the Council held 15 public engagement events. While the majority were in favour of a more joined up approach for a new service through a whole family approach to cover ages from pre-birth to 19 year olds in order, they were not in favour of having three main centres.

 Cllr John Joseph Kelly, Cabinet Member for Children, Schools and Safeguarding, said: “I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to every person who has taken time to respond to this consultation.

 “We have taken great care in listening to our communities and all along we have been clear that we would listen to people’s views. As a result of this valuable feedback, we will consider changing our plans and are recommending that all the existing children and family centres remain open, but will cover support for 0-19 year olds, expand outreach and provide early help services. This will allow us to be more joined up and still make the most of the money that we have available to ensure support for those most in need. It will complement the work we’re doing to transform the way we provide early intervention and prevention services.”

However, due to significant reductions in Government funding over the last few years, the Council has had to make some tough decisions. In order to retain the centres within their current bases and to keep within the available budget, the Council acknowledges it will not be possible to provide the same level of activity within the centres. 

In a report going to Cabinet on December 7, the Council is highlighting this issue and is recommending to change the way it provides funding to the children’s and family centres going forward.

This proposal would mean that the allocated monies will be prioritised on providing services that support parents, carers and all children regardless of age.

If the recommendations are approved, the Council will work closely with schools on the impact of the funding changes, as there would also be likely implications for employees of both the Council and those employed by schools.

Read about Sefton Council’s decision in full at the Agenda for Cabinet on 7 December.

 

Make Christmas special for children with the Mayor of Sefton

The Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Dave Robinson, is asking as many people as possible across the borough to get behind this year’s Christmas gift appeal. 

The annual request asks all residents in Sefton to try and provide presents for some of the borough’s most deserving children and make this Christmas extra special for them.  

Gifts, for children of all ages, can be taken to either Bootle or Southport Town Halls or dropped off at any Sefton Council library or leisure centre by Wednesday, December 20.

Gifts can also be dropped at the Asda store at Central 12 in Southport. Gift tokens are particularly welcome to be given to older children. 

All presents collected will later be distributed to children and young people throughout the borough by volunteers from Sefton Council and Sefton Children’s Trust on behalf of the Mayor. 

Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Dave Robinson, said: â€śI am urging anyone who lives or works in Sefton to try and donate a present for the annual Mayor’s Christmas Gift Appeal.

“Every year the generosity of people is amazing and I’m hoping 2017 will be no different as we make Christmas that little bit special for those less fortunate. 

“Any donation is welcome and we are looking for gifts for all ages from babies and toddlers to teens. To ensure we can get the right gift to the right child may I please ask that the gifts be new and are left unwrapped.” 

For further information on the Mayor’s Christmas Gift Appeal please call 0151 934 3359. 

Your vote matters, don’t lose it

The 2017 General Election saw a huge increase in voter turnout, both nationally and locally.

Following these gains, Sefton Council is again contacting local residents to make sure they do not lose their vote.

All households in Sefton have been sent an Electoral Registration Form for them to provide up-to-date information of who is living at the property.

This will ensure their information is correct on the electoral register.

 Cllr Paulette Lappin, Cabinet Member for Regulatory Compliance and Corporate Services said: “The reason this form is so important as not only does it make sure people can vote in local and national elections, but it also gives them the opportunity to register to vote for the first time.

“In particular, those who have changed address or students living at more than one address may have quite a shock when it comes to voting.

“Even if they have registered already, their vote is invalid if new details have not been provided.”

Jill Coule, Head of Regulation and Compliance at Sefton Council, added: “I urge everyone who sees this form to read it carefully and respond to it.

“Even if your details have not changed, if you do not confirm this within three years, you will automatically be removed from the register and lose your right to vote.

“If there has been no change in your circumstances, it is as straightforward as making a phone call or sending a text.

“You should also return an updated form if the previous occupier is registered to the address or if the property is empty”

To update the register with any changes, residents should visit Sefton’s household response website with the  with the code provided on their form, or sign and post the form to the address provided. Visit our friends site and buy narrative essays online

If there are no changes in circumstances, residents can call freephone on 0800 197 9871 or text their security code to 80212.

If no form has been received, residents should contact Electoral Services at Sefton Council on 0345 140 0845 or by email

Walk a mile in your shoes for MacMillan

Local residents are being asked to walk a mile in their shoes and raise money for MacMillan Cancer Support.  MacMillan Mile Southport

Organised in partnership by The MacMillan Mile takes place 14 September, 6pm at Victoria Park in Southport, with anyone able to take part.

Participants can walk, jog or run the mile and entry is free, but you need to register first.

To find out more, please contact Active Lifestyles on 0151 934 2352.

 

 

 

Search Box