Please follow & like us

Care home staff reminded of support available ahead of Channel 4 COVID drama

Sefton’s Adult Social Care and Health bosses have written to the Borough’s Care Home owners and managers reminding care home staff where they can find support and counselling if they are distressed by the forthcoming Channel 4 drama, Help.

In a letter sent out this week, Deborah Butcher, Sefton Council’s Executive Director for Adult Social Care and Health and Fiona Taylor, Chief Officer, NHS South Sefton and NHS Southport and Formby CCGs have sent a reminder of the free services available.

Scheduled to screen at 9pm on Thursday, Help features Jodie Comer as Sarah, a young care home worker and Stephen Graham as her patient, Graham. Set in a Liverpool care home, the two-hour drama covers the period around March 2020, and the arrival of the Coronavirus pandemic.

Deborah Butcher, Executive Director for Adult Social Care and Health said:

“This is an important story that needs to be told but it could bring back distressing memories and emotions for people who were working so hard to care for residents at the time in what could be traumatic conditions with little information.

“We want to highlight to any care home works affected by watching this drama, that help and support is available to them, and have written to all care home owners and managers to remind them what resources their staff can access.”

In Sefton, these include wellbeing and counselling services Qwell, Listening Ear and the Cheshire and Merseyside Resilience HUB, although for some staff, talking it through with colleagues or a manager may be enough.

As the size and scale of the COVID-19 pandemic emerged in early 2019, Sefton Council set up frequent communications with care homes to establish their requirements and to provide them with PPE and other equipment.

Fiona Taylor, Chief Officer, NHS South Sefton and NHS Southport and Formby CCGs added:

“During the early stages of the pandemic, it was vital that we set up these communications networks to support our homes.

“It is just as important now for us to continue to be in touch to let those workers who are at the frontline know that we are still here and still ready to provide the support they need.”

 

Sefton supports Merseyside Collective Switch

Sefton Council are supporting the Merseyside Collective Switch to help bring down energy prices across the Liverpool City Region.

Ofgem have announced an increase to the energy price cap of ÂŁ139 from 1 October.

Around 15 million households are currently covered by the price cap, which will see their typical bill increase from £1,138 to £1,277. Prepayment customers will see a larger increase of £153.

The increase is due to a 50% rise in wholesale energy costs over the last six months, with gas prices at a record high.

If you are on your supplier’s standard variable tariff, or if your fixed tariff is coming to an end and you haven’t switched, you can expect your bills to be affected.

The good news is, the Merseyside Collective Switch is here to help.

Set up in 2013, the Merseyside Collective Switch is one of the longest running local authority Collective Switches in the country. Delivered by local charity Energy Projects Plus, in partnership with the six local authorities in the Liverpool City Region, it has so far, helped local people save over ÂŁ1.5 million on their energy bills.

Collective switching works by using the power of the group to negotiate cheaper energy tariffs from suppliers. The Merseyside Collective Switch winning tariffs have often been the cheapest on the market and are available exclusively to its members. Anyone can join, it’s completely free and there is no obligation to switch if you don’t want to.

Previous winning deals have included Big 6 suppliers such as British Gas, E.on, SSE and EDF Energy as well as Ovo and Green Energy.

The Merseyside Collective Switch also includes a full market comparison, so if the winning deals aren’t right for you, you can find one that is.

As exclusive offers are only available to members, you will need to register by 8 September to be eligible. Once you’ve registered, you will be able to access exclusive offers time and time again, and can make sure you’re not missing out on a great deal on your energy.

Registration is completely free and your data will only be used to provide you with information about the winning energy tariffs.

Plus, by switching with the Merseyside Collective Switch, you will be helping to support local charity, Energy Projects Plus, who provide vital support to local people who are living in fuel poverty.

Switching your energy tariff with the Merseyside Collective Switch is both quick and easy, and it could prevent you from overpaying hundreds of pounds a year.

The next set of winning offers will be available from 9 September, providing time for you to compare and fix your energy tariff ahead of the price rises.

Peter Owen, CEO at Energy Projects Plus said

“We are proud to have been offering this free switching service, which is specifically designed to benefit people across the Liverpool City Region, for eight years now. The Merseyside Collective Switch is here to support everyone through the switching process to make sure you’re not paying more than you need to. With the price cap increase looming, and more energy price hikes on their way, it’s now more important than ever to make sure you’re not paying more than you should be for your gas and electricity”.

Registration for this round closes on 8 September.

Members will then be contacted with the deals that have been negotiated for the group.

To join the Collective Switch visit www.lcrenergyswitch.co.uk

or call the local Save Energy Advice Line on freephone 0800 043 0151, where you can also get other free and impartial support to help reduce your energy bills.

Bootle Canalside Bank Holiday Pop Up: Everything You Need to Know

This Bank Holiday weekend, Bootle Canalside is hosting its first pop-up event with traders serving worldwide food and drink from fabulous, coloured shipping containers, which are a nod to Bootle’s industrial past.

So here’s what you need to know before heading down to Bootle Canalside…

  • What days is it open?
    Thursday 26th to Monday 30th August
  • What time does it open?
    12pm-9pm
  • Where is it?
    The new Bootle Canalside site is next to the Strand and can be accessed via Washington Parade. It it a 5-minute walk from Bootle New Strand Station and a 2-minute walk from the Strand Bus Station.
  • Is it free?
    Yes, entry is free onto the site as is all the entertainment.
  • Is the site wheelchair accessible?
    Access to the site is wheelchair accessible however, parts of the site are uneven in places and caution is advised for wheelchair users.
  • Is it child-friendly?
    Yes. We have child friendly food stalls and entertainment and Bootle Canalside Pop Up is designed to be a place for all the family.
  • Is it dog-friendly?
    Yes, provided dogs are kept on a short lead and any mess is picked up.
  • Do I have to wear a mask?
    No, as per current COVID guidelines at this outdoor event you do not have to wear a mask although people are free to wear one if they like. We would encourage everyone to sanitise their hands often and be mindful of others.
  • What stalls do you have?
    Food ranging from Chinese, American, Polish to ice creams, sweets and more tasty treats
    We also have two bars serving coffee, beer, wine, cocktails, soft drinks and more…
  • How can I give my feedback?
    There will be feedback forms and drop boxes dotted around the site…
    We really want to hear what to local community want from this fantastic space
  • What entertainment is on?
    Our entertainment runs all day, each day – see below for more details!

 

And finally, can I have more info on this local talent?

Astrid

Having made it on to team Will.I.Am on The Voice Kids, Astrid has gone on to write four songs of her own, brought out 6 CD’s and has fans around the world following her on social media.

Travelling Wannabes

The Travelling Wannabes formed after meeting at the regular Tuesday night ukulele jam session at Stamps bar in Crosby. With a love of rock and pop music the band want to break away from what most people think a ukulele band are going to sound like and have fun with it too. Singing along and dancing are very much encouraged!

Charles Grassot

I am a Spanish singer/songwriter who has been living in the UK for 8 years. I came here for music and to become a professional musician.  I play covers and originals of Folk, Blues, Soul, Reggae and Rock mainly and I always add a big amount of humour to my acts making people interact and have a great time.

Aimee Rigby

Solo vocalist singing a mix of Musical Theatre, Swing, Jazz and acoustic covers.  Slow easy listening style with a few upbeat numbers in the mix as well.

 Sarah Jones

Sarah J is a 21 year old musician from Liverpool, UK. Sarah has supported acts such as ‘The Beautiful South’, ‘Owen Paul’ and ‘Blair Dunlop’. Over lockdown Sarah J has achieved over 30,000 views on her livestreams, entertaining people from all over the world. Sarah’s vocals are often compared to ‘Karen Carpenter’, complimenting her storytelling song writing style. Her song ‘Magnificent’ is the first single from the ‘Heartache’ E.P due to be released in 2021!

Tempest

Tempest are a 6 piece band that specialises in all genres of Music.  We have been around since the 60s in various forms and have a great reputation in our field.  We play many gigs for charities around Liverpool and perform every Tuesday, in Sefton, at Netherton Social Club.

Caramel Dragons

Caramel dragons have carved a name for themselves Over the last four years. They’ve changed the landscape of the covers band music scene locally and if you’ve not had a chance to see them before be sure to stick around as today they plan to play all things sweet and fierce, we have Kyle and Dan from Caramel Dragons also known as Kyleraymel Dragdans.

King

Pete – Drums & backing vocals / Phil- lead guitar & backing vocals / Andy – bass guitar & lead vocals / Playing 60’s 70s 80s & 90s Band.  Members of the Merseycats, Merseyrats & Rockin @ Rhe Roan charity organisations

Midnight Daisies

Midnight Daisies are a multi- instrumental band performing a mix of original and covers songs. Pop, rock, Jazz, Rockabilly and 60s music all played in their own unique style.

Free Spirit

Four piece covers band playing a wide variety of mainly harmony soft rock and pop music.  Free Spirit members are Stu on lead vocal and acoustic guitar, Ste on lead guitar and vocal, Brian on bass guitar and vocal and Ronnie on Drums.

Cont…

Richy Integer

Richy Integer combines traditional singer-songwriter fare with an interest in Delta Blues.

Paul Iwan

Mixing elements of Electro with Alternative Rock and emotive songwriting, Waterloo based Paul Iwan (pronounced You-un) is one of the most intriguing talents in Merseyside’s fertile and eclectic scene.  Described as “Electro with an injection of angst” by John Robb’s louderthanwar.com, they proclaimed Paul’s 2019 self-released and self-produced album, RESISTER “a classic”.

Paul’s talent for writing great songs not only saw him win the 24hr Songwriting challenge at Liverpool’s Threshold Festival 2019 but catch the eye of The Kinks legendary songsmith and front man Ray Davies, who describes Paul’s writing as “Impressive, inspired and bold” with “an amazing voice”.

After recently signing to independent label Klee Records and Music publisher Steam (Berlin), the future looks exciting for Paul, with a new album called PRESENT scheduled for release in early 2022.

Opera Viva

We are a group trying to bring the fun of watching and singing in Opera to everybody.

We perform concerts and operas in small venues around Merseyside so you don’t have to travel to the city centre and we sing our operas in English so you know what’s going on.

We welcome members with or without a musical background and we teach proper methods so you can sing without damaging your vocal chords.

Mystic Bass

Mystic Bass consists of Amber age 14 on vocals, Harrison age 14 on piano that you may have seen on the piano down in Liverpool One playing his old skool tracks and Marley age 16 on drums.  Large range from modern pop songs back to old time soul….. Love everything from Oasis back to Stevie Wonder.

 

SEFTON COUNCIL’S PLANS TO REVIVE BOOTLE’S HARD-HIT ECONOMY TAKE A MAJOR STEP FORWARD THIS BANK HOLIDAY WITH CANALSIDE FESTIVAL

Sefton Council’s plans to revive Bootle’s hard-hit economy take a major step forward this Bank Holiday weekend with the first event at the town’s re-designed canal-side site.

Bootle Canalside site is one of a number of areas of exciting progress that forms part of an Area Action Plan to revive the town which is one of the hardest country’s towns hardest hit by the COVID pandemic and other issues.  Redevelopment of its Strand Shopping Centre is another element of the Action Plan.

And, the Council has submitted a £14.5 million Levelling Up Fund bid will see construction and launch of a new, hi-tech digital and Virtual Reality (VR) venue hosting a unique visitor attraction and providing places for technology enhanced ‘competitive socialising.’

Bootle’s “Flying Theatre” will use a robotic hydraulic platform to create the feeling of flying through the British Isles and a VR Time-Travel Tunnel will take visitors on a journey through the ‘History of Bootle and Liverpool’, including an experience of the Blitz.

Over the Bank Holiday, from Thursday 26th to Tuesday 31st August, Bootle Canalside will be opening its gates for the first time to host a weekend packed full of mouth-watering food, drinks and a whole host of activities and entertainment. Entry will be free at Sefton’s newest venue as it welcomes an eclectic mix of local traders to serving from bespoke, fitted shipping containers, which is a nod to Bootle’s docklands history.

Visitors to the event will be able to sample food from around the world , showcasing Sefton’s mix of culinary talent. And, local musicians, groups and artists will descend on the site to provide a mix of entertainment and activities for all the family.

The event will showcase the Canalside’s potential as a new feature of Bootle’s hospitality and night time economy. The pop-up event is a chance to test the site and gather community feedback as well as attracting visitors to Bootle from across Sefton and beyond. Details of traders and entertainment will be released in the run up to the Bank Holiday weekend, so watch this space and follow us on social media for the latest updates.

Cllr Ian Maher, Leader of Sefton Council said:

“I am thrilled to see Bootle Canalside opening up for the August Bank Holiday to provide a five, fun-filled days of food, drink and entertainment from a range of Sefton’s talented local traders, artists and entertainers.

“Bootle Canalside is being developed to work for our community and kick-start the regeneration and recovery of one of the country’s towns hardest hit by the COVID pandemic and other issues.

“I cannot wait to see the site bustling with visitors and I hope this is the start of a new chapter of opportunity, regeneration and recovery in Bootle and I hope lots people head down to our latest venue and tell us what they think.”

Once completed, Bootle Canalside will include an urban garden, food, drink and leisure outlets and events spaces that adds a new element to Bootle’s local economy. It will bring activity to currently under-used land and will help to stimulate the local economy, transforming the look and feel of the town for residents, businesses and visitors and improving the quality of life for the community.

ends

Bootle Canalside: The Story so Far

We want to know what you think of our plans for Bootle Canalside…

You can fill in the feedback forms which can be found at the entrance and on the container stalls

Just pop it in on of our drop boxes when you are done

 

But first, let us tell you the story so far…

Sefton Council purchased the Strand in 2017 and since then it has been at the heart of transformation and regeneration plans for Bootle.

The area adjacent to the Strand alongside the Leeds-Liverpool Canal has been put aside to house a multi-functional, open air food, drink and events space while the longer term ambitions for the Strand are developed.

The site was granted planning permission for this use in July 2021.The site has the name ‘Bootle Canalside.’

Bootle Canalside is set to host a temporary, five day, pop up event over the August Bank Holiday. Local food and drink traders will serve food and drink from around the world from refurbished shipping containers in a nod to Bootle’s industrial history.  The event will be an opportunity to test the site with the community and gather feedback on what people in Bootle want to see from this exciting, new venue.

Bootle Canalside, once completed, will include an urban garden, food and drink offer, leisure uses and events spaces. It will be a vibrant recreation and leisure area that makes full use of its fantastic setting and brings a new element to Bootle’s local economy.

 

So tell us… what does Bootle need?

Have you enjoyed your time at Bootle Canalside?

How can we make the site better?

 

What do you want to see from Bootle Canalside?

Search Box