Please follow & like us

Sefton Council is reminding residents to make sure they dispose of disposable barbecues or hot coals safely.

Disposing of the ash after using a charcoal or disposable barbecues, can be a headache and nobody wants a bin fire outside their home. Similarly, Sefton Council doesn’t want still-smouldering barbecues setting fire to its waste collection vehicles, which is what happened in Southport yesterday (Wednesday 15 July).

The Coastal Road was closed temporarily between Woodvale and after a fire broke out in a council waste disposal vehicle. The cause of the fire was found to be a barbecue that had not been properly extinguished.

Cllr John Fairclough, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Locality Services said: “We would like to remind our residents not to put disposable barbecues or hot coals in their waste bins because, as we discovered yesterday, they can cause a fire inside our refuse collection vehicles.

“As well as causing extensive and expensive damage to our vehicles this also puts our collection crews at serious risk.

“Disposable barbecues and hot coals can take up to 48 hours to fully cool. Please leave these items in a safe place to cool or soak them in water before you put them in your waste bin.”

Disposable barbecues are not currently recyclable so cannot be put in recycling bins.

Find out more about our Bins & Recycling services.