Please follow & like us

Extra cervical screening appointments available in Sefton

Statement from Chief Nurse Chrissie Cooke
Statement on Cervical Cancer Prevention Week from Chief Nurse Chrissie Cooke Chrissie Cooke

With Cervical Cancer Prevention Week starting on Monday, Sefton’s health leaders want to make sure even more people with a cervix get screened to protect themselves against cervical cancer.

Across the Borough, nearly ž of women aged 25-49 have had a cervical screening test – also known as a smear test – within the last three-and-a-half years.

Anyone with a cervix aged 25-64 is invited regularly for cervical screening by letter under the NHS Cervical Screening Programme. Screening helps detect abnormalities within the cervix that could, if left untreated, develop into cervical cancer.

Encouragingly, the number of people in this age group in Sefton attending these appointments in the last year has risen slightly, compared with a 6.8% drop-off nationally.

Chrissie Cooke, chief nurse for NHS South Sefton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and Southport and Formby CCG, said: “It’s really positive that more women in Sefton are getting cervical screening, but there is still more to do. It’s important you attend screening when you’re invited; and encourage the other women and people with a cervix in your life to do the same.

“Cervical Cancer Prevention Week is a great opportunity to talk about screening, understand the symptoms of cervical cancer, and to book that appointment you may have been putting off. We have added extra appointment slots to patients who may struggle to attend appointments during the working week. Your health matters – book your screening today.”

Dr Gustavo Berni, local GP and medical director from the South Sefton GP Federation, said: “At our practice, 94% of all eligible patients are screened for cervical cancer. Our extended 7-day GP service offers appointments at evenings and weekends, so you can book a time that works for you.

“If you are worried about going for screening due to coronavirus, speak to your GP surgery about your questions or concerns. Since the pandemic, all GP surgeries have put increased infection control measures in place, including the use of personal protective equipment (PPE).

“We also know that cervical screening may be a little uncomfortable, but those few minutes could save your life. You can request a female nurse or doctor, and we encourage you to discuss any concerns with our staff beforehand.”

Dr Abdul Zubairu, local GP and medical director from the Southport and Formby GP Federation, said: “Having cervical screening is one of the best ways to protect yourself from cervical cancer. It isn’t a test for cancer, it is a test that helps prevent cancer. Make sure to book an appointment with your GP practice when you receive your letter.

“We also have nurse appointment slots for cervical screening at evenings and weekends as part of our 7-day GP service. Simply contact your GP practice in the usual way to make an appointment in this service.

“If you have symptoms such as bleeding between periods, pain after sex, changes to vaginal discharge or unexplained lower back or pelvic pain, please speak to your GP.”

For more information about cervical screening and cervical cancer, visit:

Liverpool City Region’s leaders urge those working during lockdown to get SMART tested

People who must risk leaving their homes and mixing with others during lockdown are being urged to keep getting repeated tests for Covid-19 within the Liverpool City Region.

The successful Liverpool pilot to deliver SMART testing was rolled-out across the City Region just before Christmas; to target everyone in the area and find positive people who were not showing symptoms.

However, with a national lockdown in place and most people urged to stay home, the 20 non-symptomatic sites across the City Region are now being used to target key workers, and those who have to mix with others because of either paid, or unpaid, caring commitments.

Although people often see key workers as emergency or “blue light” staff the LCR pilot is aimed at everyone who has to continue mixing because of their job role. This includes both public and private sector workers such as essential shop and supermarket staff, taxi drivers, postal workers and many other key services that we continue to rely on during lockdown.

The leaders of the six City Region Local Authorities and Metro Mayor, Steve Rotheram, are urging people in such roles to continue coming forward for the rapid test.

“SMART” testing refers to Systematic, Meaningful, Asymptomatic, Repeated Testing, and around 250,000 people have now been tested as part of the pilot. Repeatedly testing those who have no symptoms, in a targeted way, has helped to keep infection numbers lower than many other areas in the North West.

Everyone must continue to be vigilant however as the new variant of Covid-19 is spread more easily than the first. This means that staying home if you can, maintaining a safe distance from others, washing your hands and avoiding touching your face are more important than ever.

Anyone who must mix with others during lockdown, for legitimate work or care reasons, can simply turn-up for rapid, regular and free testing without having symptoms of Covid-19. People taking the test usually get their results within the hour.

In addition to the City Region testing facilities, a new non-symptomatic test centre has also been set-up in Cheshire.

All six Local Authorities in the Liverpool City Region (Liverpool, Halton, Knowsley, Sefton, St Helens and Wirral) are taking part in the pilot programme.

In a joint statement, the leaders of the six City region Local Authorities, the Metro Mayor, and Acting Mayor of Liverpool, said: “The last thing any of us wanted to see in the New Year was another national lockdown. However, we have seen the figures, showing the number of people contracting the virus and the number of people now in hospital as a result of Covid-19.

“Sadly, we have also seen the number of deaths to Covid-19 increase as well. So, we would urge everyone to stay at home where they can and continue to get the basics of hands, space, face, right.

“There are of course many heroes who must continue to work throughout a lockdown, and these are not just contained to health and emergency workers. We want to ensure that, with this opportunity to carry out free, repeated, and rapid testing in the City Region, that we encourage as many of those people to come forward.

“We have people who work in essential retail, schools, nursing homes, local authorities and transport, and many more besides, who are keeping our vital services running throughout this national lockdown.

“We want to make sure that they are as protected as possible while helping us to continue with the essential services and provisions we need. Our thanks go to everyone who risks their own health to keep providing these services and do everything we can to keep them safe and keep them getting tested.”

Cllr Ian Maher
Leader of Sefton Council

Cllr Rob Polhill
Leader of Halton Council

Cllr Graham Morgan
Leader of Knowsley Council

Cllr David Baines
Leader of St Helens Council

Cllr Janette Williamson
Leader of Wirral Council

Steve Rotheram
Metro Mayor of the Liverpool City Region

Wendy Simon
Acting Mayor of Liverpool

Executive Director of Sefton Council, Andrea Watts, who is helping to co-ordinate the LCR testing pilot, added: “SMART is a huge opportunity for the Liverpool City Region and I’ve no doubt that we can continue to identify key workers and carers who may be Covid positive without showing symptoms throughout the lockdown.

“Targeted repeat testing, two or three times a week, of these groups can make a real difference to the way we live-through and exit out of lockdown while the roll out the vaccine continues.

“Together, we can keep testing those key workers who do not have symptoms – while of course still being extra cautious around ensuring we do the basics – hands, space, face.”

For more information on when and how testing is available in Sefton, and an interactive map of non-symptomatic testing locations, please go to the Sefton Council website or go to www.liverpoolcityregion-ca.gov.uk

#LetsGetTested
#LetsGetVaccinated

Sefton Council’s COVID-19 Shielding Support Service shortlisted for award

The iNetwork Awards recognise the innovative work taking place across the public sector and Sefton Council has been shortlisted for its shielding support service delivered during the first lockdown in 2020.

Staff were redeployed and worked alongside partners and volunteers to support the most vulnerable. Ranging from a friendly voice, implementation of support packages, social care assessments, financial support, through to escalation of emergency domestic violence situations or supporting those on the edge of crisis, the shielding support service continued throughout the initial four months of the pandemic and received overwhelming praise.

Watch this short video to see one of the team in action.

People can vote for Sefton Council’s COVID-19 Shielding Support Service in the ‘Transforming and Innovating Public Services’ & ‘Covid Response Recognition’ categories here.

Voting closes at midnight on Sunday 24th January. 

One more month to have your say on how social housing is allocated in Sefton

Residents, tenants, future tenants, landlords and housing associations have just one month to submit their views on changes to the way social housing is allocated across Sefton.

Since November, Sefton Council and local authorities in the Liverpool City Region have been seeking views on the allocation process for social housing, which is administered through Property Pool Plus.

So far, more than 3,600 people across the Liverpool City Region have responded but further views are being sought as part of the public consultation.

Social housing is allocated several different ways, which considering a resident’s eligibility, choice, preference, and priority. Changes are being proposed to each of these areas.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said: “Thank you to everyone who has taken part so far in this consultation. Your views are extremely important and will ensure that the allocations process takes into account all factors within an individual’s personal circumstances.

“It is hoped that the feedback received will ensure that the process of matching people with homes across the Borough, is efficient, accessible and places priority on those with most need.”

Some criteria that may place someone in a higher priority could include:

  • people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless;
  • victims of domestic abuse, racial abuse or hate crime;
  • members of the armed forces and reserved forces;
  • medical need

To find out more information about the changes to the policy and to take part in the consultation, people can visit www.sefton.gov.uk/PPP-HaveYourSay.  

The consultation will run until Wednesday 10th February 2021.

Authorities in the Liverpool City Region will all simultaneously be undertaking this survey, the authorities include Halton Borough Council, Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council, Liverpool City Council, Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council and Wirral Council.

Community COVID-19 vaccination programme gathers pace in Sefton `

GPs, working together with Sefton’s two Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs), are continuing to roll out the COVID-19 community vaccination programme across the Borough.

Vaccinations, which began at the end of December, will gather pace over the coming weeks. People who are most at risk of COVID-19 or aged over 80, as well as care home staff and residents will be invited for their immunisation first.

Challenge

This is the biggest vaccination programme the NHS has ever undertaken. It is a huge challenge and the local NHS is working hard to overcome any logistical issues as they may arise.  So, the exact weekly roll-out of the programme will be largely shaped by the vaccine supply from the manufacturers.

Not all local premises or surgeries can become community vaccination centres, as they need to meet the strict clinical and logistical requirements of the programme. So, when it is your turn to be vaccinated, be prepared that it may not be at your GP practice or another nearby venue.

The NHS has a clear vaccine delivery plan but it will take some time for GP practices to work through the number of people aged over 80 that need to be contacted.

Patience

So, GP practices and the CCGs are asking everyone to be patient and until people are fully vaccinated with two doses, they are reminded to follow the current restrictions and guidance and play their part by following these steps:

  • Do not contact your GP practice or the NHS to seek a vaccine, we will contact you
  • When we do contact you, please attend your booked appointments
  • Please continue to follow all the guidance to control the virus and save lives by socially distancing, wearing a mask or face covering and washing your hands regularly.

The roll out of the programme in community vaccinations centres is in addition to hospital immunisation hubs, which began operating in December.

Working together

Dr Craig Gillespie, chair of NHS South Sefton CCG, explained: “Our GP practices are working together in groups to deliver vaccinations as quickly as possible to their patients aged over 80 years and to invite them into a community centre to be immunised safely.

“Importantly, in the meantime, we are asking everyone not to contact their GP practice or another NHS organisation to ask for their vaccination – or to request one for a member of their household or their carer.”

Dr Rob Caudwell, Chair NHS Southport and Formby CCG, said: “We do understand that people will be keen to know when they will receive their vaccines. Each of us will receive an invite when it is our turn to be vaccinated, either by letter or a phone call.

“You may know others aged over 80 who have been invited for their vaccination already, however, not all areas of Sefton could start vaccinating at the same time, so not everyone has been contacted yet, but we will get to you.”

Warning

People expecting to be contacted for a vaccination are being warned about possible scam calls from fraudsters. Action Fraud, the national reporting centre for fraud and cyber crime, has received reports from members of the public who have been sent text messages claiming to be from the NHS offering them the chance to sign up for vaccinations for a fee.

Pauline Smith, Head of Action Fraud, said: “Remember, the vaccine is only available on the NHS and is free of charge. The NHS will never ask you for details about your bank account or to pay for the vaccine. If you receive an email, text message or phone call purporting to be from the NHS and you are asked to provide financial details, this is a scam.”

Find out more about the COVID-19 vaccine.

 

 

Search Box