Merseyside Police warn drivers to ‘buckle up’
Merseyside Police will be supporting a national seat belt campaign that commences today, Monday 11th March.
The two week campaign will see the Force conducting increased levels of enforcement to address one of the so called ‘fatal’ four’ causes of road death in Great Britain. Nationally, of the 787 vehicle occupants who died in 2017, 212 were not wearing seat belts. This represents a 7% rise on 2016 figures and indicates that non-seat belt use is increasing.
Last year (2018) in Merseyside, 2962 seat belt-related offences were detected including 2,245 drivers, 502 passengers and 127 offences relating to children being unrestrained or not carried in a correct child seat. 2019 drivers completed an online educational course for the offence.
Chief Inspector Tony Jones from Matrix Operations said “Whether a driver or a passenger in a vehicle, using seat belt greatly improves your chance of avoiding serious injury or death in the event of a crash. Our officers enforce this particular offence all year round but we will be re-doubling our efforts during the next two weeks. I would particularly appeal to parents carrying babies and young children in vehicles to ensure that they are securely fastened inside the vehicle, using the correct child seat where appropriate.”
Paul Mountford from the Safer Roads Unit said “Modern car manufacturers invest millions into their making their vehicles as safe as possible. Air bags are a ‘secondary restraint system’ (SRS) and will only be effective if a seat belt is worn.
“It only takes a matter of seconds to ‘buckle up’ but injuries caused by not wearing a seat belt may be life-changing”.