Walk The Sefton Coast
To celebrate the 2017 Year of the Coast, Sefton Council are holding a 24 mile walking challenge covering the length of the borough. The walk, from Waterloo to Crossens, is spilt over four weeks and takes place each Tuesday at 10.15am.
It’s a fantastic opportunity to recognise and celebrate the wonderful coastline we have on our doorstep. All the walks are free to join and no booking is required, just turn up and join in. The stages can be completed separately or joined together if walkers wish.
We recommend to bring a packed lunch if you are doing two stages on the same day, as well as plenty of drinks and snacks each time. There will be a walk leader on all stages of the route that follows much of the Sefton Coastal Path but deviates through sand dunes and along the beach at Hightown and Ainsdale.
- Tuesday 1 August: Waterloo to Hightown (5.1 miles)
- Time/Place: 10:15am, Crosby Lakeside Adventure Centre
- Tuesday 8 August: Hightown to Freshifield (6.5 miles)
- Time/Place: 10:15am, Hightown Train Station
- Tuesday 15 August: Freshfield to Hillside (6 miles)
- Time/Place: 10:15am, Hillside Train Station
- Tuesday 29 August: Hillside to Crossens (6.4 miles)
- Time/Place: 10:15am, Crossens roundabout (Bus Stop)
- Catch bus into Southport Town Centre.
Other Coast Walks to join
But, that’s not just it, we have a great range of other walks to enjoy for free. Take a look at the list and you’re bound to find some
Ainsdale Coastal Trail – Wednesday 9 August
Sand dunes and woodland walk, Time/Place: 11:00am at Ainsdale Train Station, 60 minutes walk/gentle pace. The walk finishes at Ainsdale Train Station.
Dunes and Sandy Paths Walk – Wednesday 6 September
Time/Place: 10:30am at Hillside Train Station, 90+ minutes walk/brisk pace. The walk finishes at Hillside Train Station.
Formby Nordic Walk – Saturday 12 August
Time/Place: 10:30am, Formby Library, Duke Street, 120 minutes, Finish back at the Library.