Please follow & like us

RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
YouTube
Instagram

Aquathlon

Sefton Council’s Active Workforce team are excited to bring a brand new sporting challenge to Southport – and it’s open for everyone. 

On Sunday, September 10, there will be a new Aquathlon event consisting of a 250m swim at Dunes Splashworld, followed by a 2.5km run around Victoria Park.

The race will start in waves from 9am onwards and costs just £15 per entry. Active Workforce members pay a reduced rate of £10. Participants can also complete the event as a relay team of two, with one person completing the swim and the other completing the run.  

All competitors will receive a free t-shirt and medal, and there will be a trophy for the first female, first male and first relay team. Water will be available throughout the race.

Free parking is available for all Aquathlon competitors and spectators in the Paddock in Victoria Park, entrance from the Esplanade PR8 1RX, and changing rooms, showers and lockers will be available in Dunes Splashworld.

Complete the online form to register your place at sefton.gov.uk/activeworkforce or call the team on 0151 934 2079. Payments can be taken securely over the phone with credit or debit card details or alternatively at Dunes leisure centre reception.

Council respond to Killen Green Park vandalism

Sefton Council are shocked and disheartened by a spate of vandalism in Killen Green Park, Netherton.

Officers discovered more than 13 trees had been severely damaged with some even set on fire.

Contractors were also called to carry out repair work to the Killen Green skate park after vandals set a wheelie bin on fire, causing further damage.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, has condemned the vandalism. She said: “Not only is this extremely disappointing for us, it ruins it for genuine park users and we hope the public feel our frustration over this stupid act of destruction.

“It’s such a pity as local volunteers have been doing some great work in the park of late to make sure it looks its best.

“The site was recently highly commended by judges during the Green Flag Awards in June and we’ve had a lot of feedback from residents about how lovely the park is.

“As always we will continue to work closely with the police and other partners to discourage further acts of vandalism and if anybody has any specific information about this, please contact Merseyside Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

Merseyside Police Community Inspector Ian Jones said: “Vandalism such as this is not a victimless crime. This is a valued and much loved park, the enjoyment of which has been spoiled by these mindless acts.

“We are maximising our resources in the area with partner agencies and will use all of our joint powers to take any necessary action against those responsible.

“We are very keen to speak to anyone who may have information that can help us identify those responsible and would urge anyone who saw any suspicious behaviour in the park on Wednesday and Thursday to contact us. We would also appeal to any parents whose child was out on those days and returned home with clothes smelling of smoke to get in touch.

Lord Street to undergo resurfacing works

Sefton Council has sent out letters to residents and businesses on Lord Street, Southport to let them know about an upcoming carriageway resurfacing project.

Through a series of technical surveys and engineering analysis undertaken across the borough, Lord Street has been identified as a priority for resurfacing works.

Lord Street will undergo an important series of resurfacing works, to improve the carriageway, commencing on Monday, September 18 and taking approximately six weeks to complete.

In a bid to minimise disruption, the works will be managed in four stages:

Stage 1: Duke Street to Eastbank Street
Stage 2: Eastbank Street to Nevill Street
Stage 3: Nevill Street to Manchester Road
Stage 4: Eastbank Street junction and Nevill Street Junction

Each phase will be carried out between 8am-5pm with the exception of Phase 4, which will be carried out after 7pm.

Pedestrian access to shops and amenities will be permitted at all times, while access for deliveries is restricted between 7.30am to 9am and 5pm to 7pm daily.

There will be ongoing liaisons with properties affected as the works progress.

Diversions will be in place via Duke Street, Victoria Way, Esplanade, Promenade and Seabank Road.

Cllr John Fairclough, Cabinet Member for Locality Services, said: “We are eager to improve the road surface on Lord Street, especially in the run up to Christmas time which sees a lot of people visiting Southport.

“The timing of the works has been designed to minimise the impact on businesses, residents and visitors

“Sefton is a borough on the move and regenerating the carriageway on Lord Street is a key priority for us.

“The scheme will be carried out by Dowhigh Ltd and we expect any disruption throughout the improvement works to be kept to a minimum.

“Additional information will be posted out to residents and businesses at least two weeks in advance of the works to update people further.”

For further information on road closures across the borough visit www.sefton.gov.uk.

Liverpool’s Legend Steven Gerrard back’s City Transformation Bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games

Liverpool Football Club U18 manager and club legend Steven Gerrard has today given his backing to Liverpool’s bid to become the host city for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Gerrard, former club captain and UEFA Champions League winner, has backed the bid for his hometown city and believes it would be fantastic to see the city host the Games. Anfield, the home of Liverpool Football Club, will be hosting Rugby 7s and ceremonies during Games time.

Gerrard joins a host of elite athletes who are backing Liverpool’s bid, including former teammates Jamie Carragher and Robbie Fowler, Olympic heptathlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson, World boxing champion Tony Bellew and Commonwealth and Olympic Games medallists Steve Parry and Beth Tweddle.

Liverpool was this week named the ‘UK’s Greatest Sporting City for 2017’ in a study released by ESPN and the University of Bath, and is proposing a transformational Games vision that will accelerate up to £1bn worth of investment in the city’s docklands area.

Liverpool legend, Steven Gerrard, said:

“I am delighted to be able to back the city’s bid to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Liverpool is a city with a rich sporting heritage with its two football teams, boxing stars and global sporting events such as the Grand National and the Open being hosted on Merseyside.

“As a Scouser, it would be fantastic to have another global event like the Commonwealth Games in Liverpool and would help showcase to the World what a great city Liverpool is.”

Liverpool 2022 bid chair, Brian Barwick, added:

“It is great to have Steven Gerrard so positively backing Liverpool’s Bid to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games. During his career at Liverpool FC Steven was recognised as a world-class star of a world-famous football club.

“To have both Steven and Liverpool Football Club so firmly behind the Bid is a further indication of just how determined the city is to win the right to host the Games.”

Southport conservation areas in the spotlight

Two of Southport’s conservation areas are in the spotlight as their official conservation appraisals are updated and reviewed. Sefton Council has produced draft updates to the existing appraisals of both the Lord Street Conservation Area and the Promenade Conservation Area, which are now set to undergo a period of public consultation.

Conservation area appraisals aim to protect the inherent qualities of a conservation area by providing a thorough understanding of their character.

These appraisals examine Southport’s special characteristics and aim to determine local distinctness as well as offer proposals for preservation and enhancement. Cllr Daren Veidman, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member Planning and Building Control, said: “The appraisals highlight what is special about the area, its positives, negatives, as well as identifying opportunities for change and review of its boundaries.

“This information will also be helpful to those considering investment in the area and can be used to guide the form and content of new development.

Please take the time to get involved in the consultation and share your comments regarding these important conservation areas in our borough.”

The public consultation will allow the local community and all those with a stakeholder interest the opportunity to comment on and contribute to the final appraisal documents. Each appraisal would be a material consideration in the determination of relevant planning applications.

The documents will also support the development of policies to help maintain and enhance the character of the conservation areas.

The draft documents are out to public consultation until September 20, 2017 and can be viewed at www.sefton.gov.uk/conservationareas or alternatively hard copies can be viewed at The Atkinson Library on Lord Street, Southport or the Planning Office at Magdalen House, Trinity Road, Bootle. Any comments people may wish to make on the contents of the appraisals would be most welcome and relevant additions may be incorporated in the final document before publication.

All written comments by post, website or email will need to be received no later than September 20, 2017.

If you wish to discuss any specific aspects of the documents, Council officers will be available by appointment to discuss Lord Street Conservation Area on Tuesday, August 15 and to discuss Promenade Conservation Area on Thursday, August 17 both at Southport Town Hall, Lord Street, between 5pm-7pm.

To avoid disappointment, please ensure an allocated appointment can be made through Conservation@sefton.gov.uk or on 0345 140 0845 (option 4).

Search Box