Please follow & like us

Bootle Town Hall Heritage Complex Centre

Sefton Council is exploring opportunities to create a cultural and heritage facility within Bootle Town Hall complex of Grade II listed buildings.

 In October 2016, Sefton Council published the Bootle Town Centre Investment Framework – a high level strategic document which looked to harness Bootle’s current assets and help reshape the town into a desirable residential, educational and business location.

 Feedback gained from the Investment Framework highlighted Bootle Town Hall as a great regeneration opportunity with the desire for increased cultural activity a key theme.

 Now a consultation and engagement exercise is set to start, looking at the potential to create a new cultural and heritage facility in the former Bootle Free Library and Museum within the town hall complex. Other civic functions within the town hall would still be maintained. 

 The consultation will run from October-December and a pop-up heritage centre looking potential options will also be in the Strand Shopping Centre during the school October half-term.

 Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: “By transforming this historic building into a new home of arts and culture in the town, we believe this would be a major statement of the Council’s ambition for Bootle.

 “Potentially this refreshed physical space will be supported by a learning and skills infrastructure, reaching out to the local community and developing materials that can be used in local schools, adult education centres and beyond.

 “We believe this project will help ensure the town hall remains the civic focus of Bootle and also deliver a new cultural offer that will be sustainable and manageable over the long term.

 “At the moment we are only exploring opportunities and want to gauge what local people think about this. Please take the time to look at the consultation and get involved and help shape the future of this wonderful grade II listed building.”

The consultation will go live later this month via sefton.gov.uk 

Tourism Brings Millions to Southport

Tourism in Southport is booming with an economic impact of more than £500 million brought to the area in 2016. 

 The figures are some of the findings from a new report which will be presented to the Southport Area Committee on September 20 which also shows there was a record 8.7 million visitors to the resort last year. 

 The impressive figures also reveal a four per cent increase in staying visitors of 722, 000, which contributes to 6,449 jobs (an increase of 1.4%).

 Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, said: 

“As is shown in the report, we’ve had a an exceptional year for tourism in Southport, and we have still got lots of exciting events coming up, such as the Southport Air Show and the British Musical Fireworks Championship.

 “Thanks to a fantastic and varied programme of events, and working alongside our partners and local businesses, there is so much choice for everyone, plus the high calibre of activities keep visitors coming back time after time.

 “We’re thrilled to report on the success of our efforts, which equates to an economic impact of £518 million last year, a growth of over 4 per cent from the previous year.

 “Tourism is a key priority for us, as it helps to provide employment and boosts the local economy. and we will continue to promote Sefton as a great place to visit, explore and enjoy.”

This success of tourism helps to make a direct contribution to the growth of the economy in Sefton and, in particular, the progress of the Southport Development Framework.

 As part of this initiative, work has already started on refurbishing and redeveloping Southport Pier thanks to £2 million funding from the Coastal Community Fund, and £900k investment from the council.   In addition, with bumper crowds recorded at this year’s Southport Flower Show, and the biggest attendance at Royal Birkdale for the Open Golf championship event, the 2017 visitor numbers for Sefton are predicted to be even higher.   

Work to begin on £22m road scheme

Work is to start on creating a new dual carriageway for a major route into Liverpool city centre.

A565National contractor Osborne is to begin widening the A565 (Great Howard Street/Derby Road) this week with a programme of site investigations on the £22m scheme.

Upgrading the route, which handles traffic between Sefton and Liverpool along the northern docks, is also a key element of a £100m regeneration drive in North Liverpool.

The new 2.7km long stretch in the city’s Atlantic corridor is seen as crucial to a new creative village in the area – called Ten Streets and will have spin off benefits for Everton FC’s proposed new stadium at nearby Bramley Moore Dock.

The new dual carriageway, part funded by the Liverpool City Region Growth Deal, will also pave the way for a major revamp of the historic Regent Road – aka “the Dock Road” – to make that more pedestrian and bike friendly, creating a continuous cycle route from Crosby to Liverpool.

Lane restrictions rather than a road closure will be deployed to minimise disruption on the A565, which is also currently having a new £10m bridge created that will enable freight to travel to and from the new £400m Liverpool2 deep water container terminal, which is part of Peel Land and Trust’s £5.5bn Liverpool Waters scheme.

The new dual carriageway, which includes improved paving, traffic signals and street lighting, will complete as follows:

  • Phase 1: Leeds Street to Blackstone Street – Road widening phase
  • Phase 2: Bankhall Street to Millers Bridge – Road widening phase
  • Phase 3: Regent Road from Paisley Street to Nelson Street – New pavement/Resurfacing and cycleway provision phase
  • Phase 4: Boundary Street to Everton View – Upgrade of Traffic Signalised junctions and Street lighting with associated resurfacing

Expected to finish by Summer 2019, the works are part of Liverpool City Council’s wider £250m Better Roads programme to improve the city’s road infrastructure and will be complemented by the creation of two new £20m waterfront link roads at the city centre end of the A565, which is being built to support a proposed new Cruise Terminal.

Klondyke Redevelopment

Sefton Council has announced that the Bellway Homes are set to commence work at the Klondyke Development on Monday, March 13.

The major milestone will see the construction of 142 homes on the site which has already been cleared and prepared for redevelopment.

 Cllr Trish Hardy, Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said: “I am delighted that work is finally set to start on this development, bringing much needed quality housing to the borough.

“Importantly this development will have wider reaching impact on regeneration with increased footfall for local shops and businesses.

“The new estate which has already been finished is an example of the future of the Klondyke and the future of Bootle. I look forward to seeing this final project completed.”

Multi-million Town Centre Improvements Approved

Southport and Crosby Town Centres are set for a major economic boost following the approval of two major investment schemes at Sefton Council’s Planning Committee last night.

The multi-million pound plans, which were approved following extensive discussions, will see the construction of a 96 bedroom hotel along with the remodelling of the Marble Place shopping centre. The new development will build on the main aims of the Southport Development Framework, maximising the resorts current assets and improving the quality of the accommodation in the town. It is anticipated that Marble Place will deliver up to 50 local jobs.

Sefton Council’s Planning Committee also granted planning permission for the refurbishment of the 1930s Glenn Buildings on Moore Lane Crosby, including the replacement of the shop fronts. The scheme will see the creation of more flexible spaces, while the existing retail unit next door will be demolished and redeveloped across two floors.

 

 Cllr Ian Maher, Labour Leader of Sefton Council, said: “The approval of these two schemes is hugely significant in the delivery of the Vision for Sefton 2030 and our regeneration aspirations for both Southport and Crosby.

“The investment demonstrates the confidence that the private sector has in our borough and lets everyone know that Sefton is open for business.

“We will now continue to work closely with developers to ensure that these schemes deliver lasting change through sustainable regeneration and the creation of local job opportunities.”

 

 

Cllr Daren Veidman, Cabinet Member for Planning and Building Control, said: “The planning team have worked hard with potential investors to make sure that the schemes work for both the developers and for our communities.

“Ultimately we want the right form of regeneration that supports the Vision for Sefton 2030 and builds on our assets.”

 

Further details on the planning applications are available via Sefton.gov.uk

Search Box