Please follow & like us

RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram

Sandway Homes revealed: Find out about Sefton’s new Housing Development Company

Sandway Homes is the official name of the newly created Sefton Council owned housing development company.

Last year councillors agreed in establishing a company to develop new housing across the borough.

Sefton Council’s Cabinet has just approved the new company name and arrangements for its board of directors. The newly formed company is now moving forward with developing detailed designs and proposals for priority house build sites across the borough.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said: “When we consulted on the 2030 Vision, ‘growing living and ageing well’ and ‘making Sefton a great place to live, work and play’ came through as two strategic outcomes that residents wished the council to prioritise and the establishment of the Housing Development Company is key to this.

“We are delighted to be at the point of announcing the official name of Sandway Homes for our new housing development company.

“The name Sandway is inspired by the unique 22 miles of coastline in Sefton and the logo mark is derived from the family crest for the Sefton Molyneux.

“Our mission now is to create quality, ambitious housing in a purposeful, ethical, and sustainable way that puts real people at the centre of everything. This will contribute to providing more housing choice right across the borough and unlock value from unused sites. The funds generated in this way will be used to support other Sefton Council projects and services.”

Sefton Remembrance Services: All you need to know

The Mayor of Sefton, councillors and council officers will all attend Remembrance Day services taking place across the borough next week

They will all remember those who died in conflict at services being held on Sunday, November 11.

The Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Dave Robinson, will attend a morning service at the War Memorial, King’s Gardens, Bootle at 10.50am and an afternoon service at Holy Trinity Church, Formby at 3pm.

Councillors and other Sefton Council representatives will be present at a total of 11 services being held on Sunday, November 11 throughout the borough.

quizzical

These will be held at other locations in Aintree, Ainsdale, Crosby, Hightown, Ince Blundell, Litherland, Maghull, Southport and Waterloo.

As with previous years members of the public are asked to arrive at a service in plenty of time. This is due to the high volume of residents expected to turn out to pay their respects.

Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Dave Robinson, said: “Each year Sefton councillors, officers, members of the public and our armed forces are rightfully present at the many emotional commemorative services taking place across the borough.

“As Mayor I am always very proud to attend to pay my respects and I as many people as possible will do the same on what is a very poignant and important day.

“Remembrance services give us the opportunity to spend some time to pause and reflect on the sacrifices made by our brave service men and women over the years in various conflicts.”

Cllr Bobby Brennan, Sefton Council’s Armed Forces champion, added: “The services we hold in Sefton are very important as we remember those who lost their lives in conflict past and present.

“We owe a huge debt to every single one of the fallen for the peace and freedom we currently enjoy today.”

 

Services

Aintree: Sefton Parish Church, Sefton Village, L29 (10.30am)
Ainsdale: Village Green War Memorial (10:30am)
Bootle: King’s Garden’s War Memorial, Stanley Road (10.25am)
Crosby: Alexandra Park War Memorial Garden, Coronation Road (10:30am)
Formby: Holy Trinity Church, Rosemary Lane (2.50pm)
Hightown: St Stephen’s Road War Memorial (10:35am)
Ince Blundell: Lady Green Lane War Memorial (12:05pm)
Litherland: Sefton Road War Memorial (10:30am)
Maghull: St Andrew’s Church, Damfield Lane (9.50am)
Southport: Lord Street War Memorial (10:25am)
Waterloo: Five Lamps War Memorial, Gt George’s Road (10:30am)

Bootle schoolchildren set to raise their aspirations

Two schools in Sefton are set to benefit from a new programme aimed at getting their pupils to think about their futures.

The Raising Aspirations programme, designed by Positive Footprints, aims to improve the life chances of young people by building resilience, developing employability skills and opening up the world of work.

Students at Springwell Park Primary School and Netherton Moss Primary School are set to be the first two schools in the borough to benefit from the programme.

Raising Aspirations is a fun and engaging way to get primary school children to start thinking about their futures and developing skills which will benefit them as they move through life. The programme includes a number of business events, which give students the chance to speak to a range of businesses. In the past, this has included large multinational companies, such as Santander and North West based businesses, such as M&Y Maintenance and Construction.

Lesley Burrows, Managing Director of Positive Footprints, said: “We are delighted to bring our programme to pupils in Bootle and to be partnering with these two fantastic schools.

“Children are now forming opinions on their future career when they’re as young as seven, so it is really important that we open the world of work in primary schools.

“Raising aspirations and improving life chances for our young people should be high on everyone’s agenda. These pupils are not just our future workforce, they will form our future society, and we believe this programme will set them up to win.”

David Hird, Deputy Headteacher at Netherton Moss Primary School: “It is never too early to have an aim in life, even in Primary School, we all need something to work towards.

The final destination may change over time but the skills and experiences gained along the way help to ensure future success”

The Raising Aspirations programme is being supported by the Sovini Group, which is funding 10 schools across Merseyside.

To find out more about Positive Footprints, visit positivefootprints.co.uk

A consultation on the proposed closure of Sand Dunes Nursery School has ended

A consultation regarding the closure of Sand Dunes Nursery School, Seaforth has now ended.

Following a request from the governing body of Sand Dunes, a statutory consultation process on the proposal to close the Nursery School, was agreed in July.

Sand Dunes Nursery School has been struggling financially for a number of years. Sefton Council and the school had explored every available option before Sand Dunes formally proposed the closure.

The consultation was the first part of a 5-stage statutory process Sefton Council must follow. During this time, it was critical that all those affected could express their views and opinions.

The consultation which was originally planned for 8 weeks, was extended to a period of 9 weeks, to allow enough time for people to submit their comments and ran from July – October.

Meetings were also held with staff, governors, and parents/carers of pupils at the school.  A consultation document and forms were handed into the school and collected. Comments could also be submitted by email, via Sefton Council’s website, by letter or via the Sand Dunes Facebook page.

At its meeting on 1 November, Cabinet considered a report on the outcome of the consultation process.  There was a huge amount of support for Sand Dunes but no viable options to address the financial shortfall came forward and Cabinet agreed to publish the statutory notice.

Cabinet are also asked to agree to continue exploring alternatives with the school and to report on this and any representations received to the public notice in the new year.

Cllr John Joseph Kelly, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Children, Schools and Safeguarding, said: “Sand Dunes Nursery has been a crucial part of the community for many years. This has been demonstrated with anonline petition which has had more than 900 signatures.

“I understand that this is a difficult time for all those involved and want to thank everyone who took the time to tell us how they felt through the consultation.

“It is extremely regrettable that the governors at Sand Dunes Nursery school have had no alternative but to request a formal consultation to close, because it is no longer financially viable.

“We will now consider the responses to the statutory consultation process and will continue to make sure the community are continually updated throughout this difficult and emotive process.”

Sefton welcomes Criminal Behaviour Order for nightmare Maghull neighbour

Sefton Council and Merseyside Police have welcomed a five year Criminal Behaviour Order for a Maghull man who made his neighbour’s lives a misery. 

Charles Robert Wall, 48, of Eastway in Maghull was handed the order at South Sefton Magistrates Court on October 29, banning him from using threatening behaviour, causing an obstruction to neighbouring properties and from revving his motor engine after 6pm.

The judge’s decision was welcomed by Sefton Council’s Localities team after neighbours said they had been put under a great deal of emotional stress by the actions of Mr Wall. 

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said: “This nightmarish anti-social behaviour had gone on for a considerable amount of time and we have had cause to deal with Mr Wall on numerous occasions to try and mediate this behaviour.

“We are resolute in protecting a good quality of life for all of our residents and we will always, along with our partners, work hard to tackle all forms of anti-social behaviour.

“We believe this court case sends out a strong message to everyone that appalling behaviour will not be tolerated and we would like to thank those residents who have found the strength and courage to speak out about their ordeal.”

Community Policing Chief Inspector Jerry Harris said: “Criminal Behavioural Orders are an extremely effective tool in tackling persistent offenders.

“The successful application for a Criminal Behaviour Order for Wall shows our commitment, working alongside Sefton Council, to dealing robustly with repeat offenders who have a negative impact on the community.

“In this case, Wall is the definition of a nightmare neighbour and we are pleased he has been dealt with accordingly.

“We are committed to ensuring the people of Maghull and across Sefton are able to live, work and visit the area free of any harassment, distress and abuse.

“Any breach of this order will result in further action being taken against him, and we will robustly act on all information provided should Wall breach any of these conditions.”

The Criminal Behaviour Order will now be in place until 2023 and breaching this type of order can result in a custodial sentence.

For more information, help and advice on how Sefton Council can help tackle anti-social behaviour, please visit www.sefton.gov.uk.

Anyone with information on anti-social or abusive behaviour is asked to speak to local officers, contact @MerPolCC, call 101 or 999 if a crime is in progress, or you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Search Box