Please follow & like us

RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram

Soaring success for 2018 Southport Air Show

Thousands of people visited sunny Southport and Sefton this weekend for the 2018 Southport Air Show

The three day spectacular which featured a host of daring displays, fantastic pyrotechnics and fun for all the family saw crowds head to Southport seafront between July 6 & 8. 

Thousands of people saw the mighty Red Arrows put on an unforgettable display on Friday evening to open the show, while a firework finale set up a weekend of incredible displays both in the air and on the ground. 

Saturday also featured a giant screen for football fans to catch the England clash against Sweden, topped off with skywriters making sure everybody in Southport knew the final score. 

A special ‘It’s Coming Home’ message was also written in huge letters on the beach, being revealed only when the Tigers freefall team jumped out of their plane and snapped a special selfie with the sandart.

The busy weekend meant that business in the town centre was booming, with restaurant, shop and bar owners enjoying heavy footfall as part of the Southport Air Show.

Cllr Marion Atkinson, Sefton Council’s Labour Cabinet Member Regeneration and Skills, said: “Yet again the Southport Air Show proved to be an amazing weekend for all!

“Visitors enjoyed incredible aerial and ground spectacles throughout all three days and the weather was near perfect.

“Friday night in particular was a fantastic evening with the world famous Red Arrows, fireworks, artillery and LED aerial displays.

“Thousands of people flocked to Southport and Sefton over the weekend, which will have had a real positive impact on local businesses in and around the town.

“We are already looking forward to the British Musical Fireworks in September.”

Don’t forget The British Musical Fireworks Championship take place across three nights on September 28, 29 & 30.

Tickets are now on sale from £4.50 at visitsouthport.com.

Sefton launches 2018 Children’s Access To Food scheme

Sefton Council is pleased again to launch the annual Children’s Access to Food Programme, supplying nearly four thousand hot meals to those in need.

The scheme, which is now in its third year, helps to support families across Sefton who are most in need of help and hot meals, allowing them to end a reliance on school meals to help nourish their children.

Last year 3,981 meals were served in community centres across the borough during a six week period between July and August.

In addition to children’s centres, Sefton Council is working in partnership with Sefton Council for Voluntary Service (CVS) to co-ordinate additional access to food with local Voluntary, Community and Faith (VCF) sector organisations across the borough.

Sefton CVS have also published a crowdfunding initiative aimed at raising valuable funds to support the scheme, and are also asking for volunteers to offer their services throughout the period.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said: “This is a very important service to provide and year on year, we help people who would otherwise struggle to put hot food on the table.

“Following last year’s scheme we had feedback from one mum who said that without this service, she would have had to miss paying bills to accommodate the extra cost of feeding her children during those six weeks.

“During the scheme we often see a clear reduction in families requesting food vouchers, because they were able to access free meals.

“The huge increase on last year shows that there is a need for schemes such as the Access To Food Programme and we are delighted that we are once again able to help and support those families that are most in need within our communities.”

Angela White, Chief Executive of Sefton CVS said: “We understand that the summer holidays can be an extremely challenging time for some families.

“We are pleased to be working alongside Sefton Council to offer a coordinated response to meet the needs of our local communities.”

Those eligible for the scheme will be contacted shortly to inform them of their nearest children’s centre.

To volunteer call 0151 920 0726 or email info@volunteeringsefton.org.uk.

Sefton’s Lost Castle set to rise again…out of cardboard

A long lost castle which took pride of place along the Sefton Coast is set to rise again – except this time the building materials are a little different.

Six extraordinary structures made of cardboard, tape and community spirit will be created across the Liverpool City Region this summer in what is a cultural first for Sefton and the combined authority.

Lost Castles will see hundreds of volunteers work with thousands of cardboard boxes to build monumental castle-inspired structures, some of which will be based on actual medieval forts or historic structures which were in the region at one time.

In Sefton, the long lost Miller’s Castle, built in the 19th Century in Bootle, will be reconstructed and put on display in North Park as part of a series of family-fun activities, coinciding with Bootle’s 150th Birthday on August 11.

Members of the public – individuals and community groups – are being urged to get involved in the event which is set to take place from July 31 to August 9.

Anyone who signs up can help create these magical structures and then join in the fun of toppling them at the end of the weekend.

The concept is the brainchild of French artist Olivier Grossetȇte and is the first creative project to take place across the entire city region.

 Olivier and members of his team will work with people across Merseyside at a number of free workshops which will take place in July and August – these are drop in sessions and people can get involved as much or as little as they like. Find out more by visiting www.lostcastles.co.uk.

The project has been made possible thanks to support from Arts Council England and is supported by the City Region Combined Authority, and the Global Streets Strategic Touring Programme which aims to bring the very best international outdoor art to towns and cities.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said: “We are delighted to be part of the Lost Castles project across Merseyside and to see Miller’s Castle recreated will be an incredible sight.

“Not many people are aware that Bootle had its very own castle of course.

“In 1824 an enterprising businessman called William Miller was able to build a huge castle on the shoreline, aptly named Miller’s Castle. The castle was demolished in the 1860s to make room for the ever expanding Bootle docks and a nearby road, Miller’s Bridge, was named in his honour.

“Now Miller’s Castle is set to awe and impress residents and visitors once more when it is recreated in cardboard form at North Park. It will be a magical venue for a series of community events and performances.

“Once it’s all over, Miller’s Castle will be responsibly recycled, making it artwork that’s also environmentally-friendly.”

For more information or to get involved in the Sefton Lost Castles project, visit www.sefton.gov.uk/lostcastles.

All you need to know about the 2018 Southport Air Show

All eyes are going to be on the skies around Southport during the 2018 Air Show (July 6-8) but are you ready?

We’ve put together all the top tips and information you’ll need to make sure it’s a weekend you won’t forget! 

Traffic & Travel

Never mind watching the show, first you have to get there! Signposting and road closures will be in place in the build up to all three days of the Southport Air Show, directing visitors to the town centre.

We recommend that you follow the signage and diversionary information rather than your SatNav.

The Southport Town Centre Park & Ride facilities will not be operating on Saturday or Sunday.

Make sure you give yourself enough time for your journey. Gates open at 6:30pm on Friday (July 6) and 10am on Saturday/ Sunday (July 7/8) – the Air Show team recommend you get to the show as close to this time as possible.

On your journey to Southport you can tune into the Air Show Radio Station ( 87.7FM) to keep you updated with traffic news. 

Consider using public transport and if you’re local, why not walk or cycle?

Parking

For parking at the event please follow all AA yellow road signs which will direct you to official sites. 

The AA signs will be on all main routes into the town centre.

Beach Parking is available on both Saturday and Sunday. On Friday the Little Esplanade Car Park will be open for Air Show traffic.

If you are travelling in from the North you will be directed to Princes Park on Friday and the Beach/Marine Drive on Saturday and Sunday.

If you are travelling from the East you will be directed to the Esplanade on Friday and  Princes Park on Saturday and Sunday

If you are travelling from the South you will be directed to the Esplanade on all three days.

We would like to remind visitors that caravans, motorhomes and any high sided vehicle are not allowed on the beach.

Everything Else

The weather will be exceptionally warm so make sure you stay sun safe! Keep a bottle of sun cream handy and always make sure you have adequate protection like sunglasses and a hat!

Please make sure that you drink plenty of water throughout the day. Refreshment stands are available on site. 

Remember if you have any rubbish, please dispose of it responsibly or take it home.

If you are planning to bring your dog to the town centre, do not leave them in your car. 

We would also like to remind visitors that BBQs and drones are banned along the Sefton Coastline. It is also against the law to fly them within the Air Show Restricted Airspace

After the Air Show ends why not take advantage of the wonderful shopping and restaurants that Sefton has to offer. 

The borough is booming with business and it’s easy to find a world of shopping wonders – check out our shopping supplement here.

 

For all other info including flight times and displays, visit www.visitsouthport.com/airshow

Have your say on Sefton’s road network

Residents and visitors to Sefton are being encouraged to have their say on the borough’s highway network.

Each year Sefton Council conducts a detailed survey to find out what residents, commuters and visitors alike think of the highways around the borough.

Launched in June and running until September 7, the survey seeks feedback on a range of services provided, including road defects, street lights, pavements, traffic management, cycling facilities and road safety.

The results of the survey are then published on Sefton Council’s website, and the data captured helps to inform service planning and prioritisation in the coming months and years.

Cllr John Fairclough, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Locality Services, said: “Our highway network is the largest asset that Sefton Council is responsible for.

“It is important that it works for everyone who lives, works and has fun in our borough.

“Last year’s survey proved popular with a great deal of engagement – our highways are clearly something local residents feel are very important.

“The feedback that we received was exceptionally useful and I encourage as many people as possible to take part this year. It’s really easy to get involved.”

To take part in the survey, visit www.sefton.gov.uk/transportation

Search Box