Please follow & like us

RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram

Council to tackle problem parking outside schools

Sefton Council are tackling inconsiderate and dangerous parking outside a number of schools during drop-off and pick-up times.

Following the start of the school year, the council has acted upon concerns by residents, teachers and parents who are worried about inconsiderate and often dangerous parking on restricted areas near 26 schools across Sefton.

As a result, the five minute observation period, which is usually afforded to cars parked on single or double yellow lines at schools, has been removed.

Civil enforcement officers will now immediately issue a penalty charge notice to any vehicle found parked in an area where restrictions are in place in the vicinity of one of the schools identified.

Cllr Paulette Lappin, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regulation and Compliance, said:

“This means that when an officer is patrolling in the vicinity and they see a vehicle parked on a yellow line between 08.15 and 09.15 or between 14.45 and 15.45, they will immediately serve a penalty charge notice.

“We hope that this will make the roads around schools a far safer and more pleasant environment for pupils, parents, teachers, and residents alike.

“While this initiative is targeted at 26 schools in Sefton where drivers repeatedly flout the regulations, if other hotspots are identified, they will be considered for inclusion in the scheme.”

The full list of schools are as follows:

Birkdale Primary, Birkdale
Churchtown Primary
English Martyrs Catholic Primary, Litherland
Forefield Infant and Juniors, Crosby
Great Crosby Catholic Primary
Holy Rosary Catholic Primary, Aintree
Kew Woods, Kew
Kings meadow Primary, Ainsdale
Lydiate Primary, Lydiate
Northway Primary, Maghull
Norwood Primary, Southport
Our Lady of Lourdes, Southport
St Gregorys Catholic Primary, Lydiate
St Johns CE Primary, Waterloo
Ursuline Catholic Primary, Crosby
Waterloo Primary, Waterloo
St Edmunds and St Thomas Catholic Primary, Waterloo
St Nicholas CE Primary, Crosby
St Marys Prep, Crosby
St Monicas Catholic Primary, Bootle
Christ Church CE Primary, Bootle
Lander Road Primary, Litherland
St Elizabeths Catholic primary, Litherland
St Patricks Catholic Primary, Southport
St Theresas Catholic Infants, Southport
Farnborough Road Infant and Junior, Southport

 

New Sefton scheme to improve private landlord standards

Standards of management and property conditions in the private rented sector in parts of Sefton are set to improve with the introduction of new Selective Licensing and Additional (HMO) licensing schemes.

Earlier this year Sefton Council consulted with residents, private landlords, businesses and other stakeholders for proposed new licensing schemes, which would affect private rented homes in designated areas.

The successful consultation looked at proposals to introduce Selective Licensing across Bootle and Additional (HMO) Licensing across parts of Seaforth/Waterloo/Brighton-le-Sands and central Southport.

Results showed that more than 85% of respondents were in favour of the selective licensing designation and 84% in favour of the two additional licensing areas.

Both the Selective and Additional (HMO) Licensing schemes were approved today (September 7) at Cabinet and should start in March, 2018.

Many local authorities already operate similar licensing schemes which aim to a improve standards of management and property conditions in the private rented sector, which should benefit tenants and improve the communities affected.

Cllr Trish Hardy, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member Communities and Housing, said:

“Over the past number of years we have seen a significant increase in the size of the private rented sector – especially in the areas considered for the licensing schemes.

“Across the borough we recognise the crucial role the private rented sector plays in creating a strong and sustainable housing market and in meeting the housing needs of many households now and for the future.

“Through the engagement process we consulted with landlords and our communities and the majority of respondents felt the schemes would have a positive impact in Sefton.

“We will now work on developing both schemes with the view of making these areas safe and attractive places to live in with the full co-operation of landlords and their tenants.”

Full details of the results of the consultation are available on sefton.gov.uk. If you would like to keep updated on our housing licensing schemes please send your details to landlord.licensing@sefton.gov.uk.

Heritage Lottery boost for Sefton War Memorial Project

Sefton’s library service are delighted after successfully securing Β£10,000 of Heritage Lottery funding to help pioneer an innovative World War One project.

Once underway, the scheme is believed to be the largest projects undertaken by the local authority, partners and local schools since the World Record Human Poppy in 2014.

Sefton Library Service are looking to highlight Sefton’s Civic War Memorials and the stories behind the men who perished in World War One listed upon them.

Cllr. Trish Hardy, Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing said:

“It is fantastic to see Sefton’s library service leading the way in a pioneering new project with help from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

“I know the team are raring to go on a project that will take a great deal of research and imagination.

“From mapping out the memorials, collating information such as the date they were erected, working with local school children to develop the stories of the heroes to working with the creative talents to deliver an interactive product, there is much for them to do.

“A poignant part of the project I am excited to see, is the planned writing of letters from local school children to residents living in the homes last occupied by our war heroes.

“The current house owner will be asked if they would like to have their house included on a digital map highlighting the ‘ Homes of Heroes’ and Civic War Memorials”

Lesley Davies from Sefton Library Service also commented:

“The additional funding from the HLF means that there is a lot more we can do.

“A web designer will create a digital map of the Sefton Area, highlighting the war memorials and the homes of the local heroes.

“Images and details of soldiers service will be added for each individual soldier, as a pop-up if you hover over the house.
“The digital map will sit on the β€˜Sefton Looking Back’ digital portal and will become a resource for school project for many years to come.

“Our aim is to complete the research and have the webpage built to be unveiled in time for the 100 year anniversary of the end of World War One in 2018.”

Ovington Drive playground closed to protect park visitors

Sefton Council have taken the decision to close down a deteriorated playground to protect the safety of park visitors.

The playground on Ovington Drive has seen rapid deterioration and decline in recent months and, despite repeated maintenance, it is no longer deemed fit for purpose.

The council want to reassure residents that there are a number of other facilities close by which they can take full advantage of.

A spokesman for Sefton Council said: “The playground at Ovington Drive is over 30 years old and while we have tried to sustain it with regular inspections and maintenance, the site has recently seen rapid deterioration.

“As a result we have decided to close the facility and decommission the old equipment, which was done with cabinet approval and ward councillors notified.

“While this is disappointing, the nearest alternative playground site to Ovington Drive can be found at Town Lane which is only a quarter of a mile away.

“The Town Lane playground has received substantial investment in the last few years and the equipment there has only recently been re-painted, meaning provision is still available for families to enjoy.”

Council work with partner agencies to tackle waste fires

Sefton Council have been working closely with Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service and partner agencies after a significant fire in the Hawthorne Road area of Bootle.

Fire crews were called to an industrial unit early on the morning of 20 August to find a building containing a large amount of waste on fire.

Access to the site to extinguish the fire was very difficult, resulting in parts of the building being removed.

A significant amount of Fire Service resources were committed to fighting the fire and local residents and businesses were subject to days of disruption and unpleasant conditions after smoke affected the surrounding area.

Sefton Council and Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service worked closely with partners from the Environment Agency and Public Health England to minimise the risks to public health and restore normal conditions as soon as possible.

Sefton Council assisted firefighters by providing a digger to break up the refuse and transport it to open ground where the seats of fire could be extinguished.

A spokesman for Sefton Council said:

“We continue to assist Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service in dealing the fire and will continue to do so until it is fully extinguished.

“We are also currently reviewing how waste management is handled on private sites in relation to this incident and across the borough.

“Sefton Council continues to work with partner agencies including Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service and the Environment Agency to address how incidents like this can be prevented in the future.”

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service has been proactive in supporting local authorities and the Environment Agency regarding the poor management of waste sites over many years – large waste fires of this type are not unique to Merseyside and are in fact a national problem.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service will be engaging with local businesses and the community to prevent fires of this type through the early identification of potential risks and problem sites.

Arson Officers and Business Safety Advisors will be visiting light industrial areas within Sefton to identify potentially problematic sites and will engage with local businesses to identify emerging risks at an early stage and undertake arson risk assessments where appropriate. Local Fire Stations will undertake operational audits of businesses in the area.

A multi-agency debrief will take place and lessons learned will inform the development of a robust, coordinated and ongoing strategy to prevent fires of this type as we move forward.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Group Manager, Gary Oakford said:

“Large waste fires such as this are a problem not only in Merseyside, but nationally.

“Poorly managed waste sites are an accident waiting to happen and we have been working proactively with partner organisations over many years to reduce the risk of these fires.

“We will be committing significant resources across the business community in the area over coming weeks to identify any potential risks and prevent fires of this type which are highly disruptive and of great concern to residents and businesses.
 
 “We would like to thank the public for their patience at this time and for observing the minor traffic diversions, we have also worked hard to ensure continuity to local businesses.”

 An Environment Agency spokesperson said:

 β€œThis is an abandoned site with no environmental permit.

 “The Environment Agency as the regulatory body have given advice and guidance to the landowner to make the site safe and to clear the waste.

“The company and directors are currently part of an ongoing investigation.

 “The Environment Agency will continue to work with partners including Merseyside Fire and Rescue and Sefton Council to minimise harm to the local community and environment.”

 For free fire safety advice or to request a home fire safety check, call 0800 731 5958.

 Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service also provides free smoke alarms for Merseyside residents aged 65 or over or those referred by partner agencies.

 

 

Search Box