Please follow & like us

RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
YouTube
Instagram

Netherton Care Home to help reduce pressure on hospital beds

A Sefton Council-owned residential care home is set to play an important role in helping to reduce the pressure on local hospital beds at busy times.

James Dixon Court on Harrops Croft in Netherton will provide care to enable older patients to vacate beds after treatment prior to returning home, and also to prevent them needing to go into hospital in the first place.

The development is a partnership between New Directions who operate the care home, Sefton Council and NHS South Sefton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).

It is part of a relaunch of James Dixon Court, a purpose-built, 30-bed home for the over 65s which New Directions took over from another operator in February last year.

The new arrangement was officially unveiled at an event at the home attended by representatives of the partner organisations and other healthcare professionals.

Commenting on the development New Directions Managing Director, Mark Fox, said: “The issue of older patients occupying hospital beds due to a lack of suitable care elsewhere is one of the most serious challenges facing the NHS, especially during the busy winter months.

“Thanks to some innovative joint working between Sefton Council who have commissioned the service, the CCG and New Directions, from now on James Dixon Court’s facilities will help to ease the problem.

“It’s good news for our local hospitals and good news for patients who can leave hospital sooner and recover and rehabilitate in a homely, supportive and caring environment.”

The services provided by James Dixon Court will include transition beds allowing patients to leave hospital earlier and receive extra care prior to returning home, and also providing patients with short-term care rather than them being admitted to hospital.

James Dixon Court will also continue to offer long-term accommodation to some residents, while also providing reablement beds which will help patients to regain their life skills and confidence, and thus to return home and continue living independently.

Speaking at the relaunch event, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care, Cllr Paul Cummins, offered a warm welcome to the development.

He said: “We are very proud of this joint initiative between Sefton Council, New Directions and our CCG heath colleagues for the benefit of Sefton residents.

“Along with offering high-quality support to older residents, we will ensure that vulnerable people do not have to make long-term decisions about their future care from a hospital bed.

“Although this new service has only been up and running for a few weeks it has already had an impact on delayed transfers of care, and everyone involved will now be working very hard to make sure it goes from strength to strength.”

Fiona Taylor, Chief Officer of NHS South Sefton CCG, said: “The development is a really good example of how our Shaping Sefton vision for more joined-up working between health and social care is starting to make a real difference to the lives of some of our most vulnerable residents, so they can be cared for in the right place at the right time.”

Sefton Council holding free workshop on new care approach

A free half-day workshop about Single Handed Care will take place at Bootle Town Hall on Tuesday, 5 February.

This is a chance to find out more about Moving with Dignity, the Single Handed Care approach and how it fits in to the national approach to Care Provision.

This session will benefit:

  • Carers
  • Care Home staff
  • Care workers
  • Healthcare professionals

The introduction of Single Handed Care will mean that there is a potential for new care packages for those who are currently in receipt of double up care. This comes as developments in moving and handling indicate that in many cases a single care worker can provide care safely on their own.

In areas where Single Handed Care has been introduced, service users feel that they have more independence, a better relationship with their care worker and more dignity and privacy. In some cases, the new approach will allow people to have the choice to be cared for safely by a relative for longer.

The workshop will provide caregivers and other healthcare professionals with the opportunity to gain practical experience of the type of tasks and equipment that will be used to perform Single Handed Care.

The session will ensure that attendees are updated on what care professionals and service users can expect from Single Handed Care and work towards achieving successful outcomes for care workers, service users and Sefton Council.

To apply for a session, either morning (starting at 9am), or afternoon (starting at 12:45pm) please email admin.ots@sefton.gov.uk stating which session.

Cllr Paul Cummins, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care, said: “The introduction of Single Handed Care has the potential to provide service users with more independence, dignity and privacy, allowing them to live the lives they’d like to live for longer.

“This free workshop is a fantastic opportunity for carers and healthcare professionals to find out more about Single Handed Care and raise any questions or concerns.”

Find out more about the sessions and the schedule here: https://indd.adobe.com/view/01d3fc8b-e6f5-4b52-ae2f-e123e2398d6c

Reduce your risk of cervical cancer by getting a regular smear test

Health commissioners and Sefton Council are supporting Cervical Cancer Prevention Week (Monday 21 January – Sunday 27 January) which aims to raise awareness of cervical cancer and the importance of screening.

 

NHS South Sefton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), NHS Southport and Formby CCG and Sefton Council are encouraging women (aged 25 to 64) to have cervical screening to reduce their risk of developing cervical cancer. The test detects human papilloma virus (HPV) and signs of early abnormal cells.

 

Dr Graeme Allan, Macmillan GP and primary care cancer lead at NHS Southport and Formby CCG, said: “Cervical cancer affects around 3,000 women in the UK every year, making it the most common form of cancer for women under the age of 35. According to Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust, 75 per cent of these cases can be prevented through testing.   

“In both NHS South Sefton CCG and NHS Southport and Formby CCG the uptake of cervical screenings by eligible women in 2017/18 was decreased from the previous year. The decrease in the uptake of this screening is worrying; we strongly encourage all eligible women to have regular cervical screenings.”

 

Dr Debbie Harvey, Macmillan GP at NHS South Sefton CCG, said: “Women aged 25 to 49 are offered screening every three years and 50 to 64 year olds are every five years. When it’s time for your next smear test, you should be sent a letter inviting you to make an appointment. It’s quick and simple and it looks for the human papilloma virus (HPV). If positive for the virus, your sample will then be tested for early abnormal cells.

 

“Contact your GP if you think you may be overdue a test. Screening appointments can now be made with practice nurses and if it’s more convenient you can also book to have your screening with the 7 day GP service that operates evenings and weekends.” 

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: “It is concerning to see that the uptake of cervical screenings in Sefton has declined; this means that many women may unknowingly be living with abnormal cells or signs of HPV.

“I urge all women in Sefton who are eligible for a smear test to make an appointment with their GP and help protect their health.”

 

Robert Music, chief executive of Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust, said: “Cervical screening is the best way to help prevent cervical cancer. Yet screening uptake in England is at a 21-year low. This is especially concerning as we are seeing the number of diagnoses rise.  

 

“That is why during this year’s Cervical Cancer Prevention Week, it is more important than ever to ensure that people understand the steps they can take to reduce their risk of this disease.” 

 

For more information on cervical cancer and what the screening test involves, please visit: www.nhs.uk/cervicalcancer 

Responsible dog ownership is a workshop away

Sefton Council has teamed up with Dogs Trust to help promote its ongoing Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) across the borough.

A workshop to promote the PSPO and the Good Dog Code will take place on Wednesday, February 6 at the Bootle YMCA. The event will set out to encourage responsible dog ownership in parks, greenspaces and public highways.

During the sessions dog owners and their four-legged friends will be able to meet with members of Dogs Trust’s Campaigns team for the North of England,  as well as Green Sefton staff.

Sessions will include:

  • PSPO & Good Dog Code advice
  • Free healthchecks including nail clipping
  • Free responsible dog ownership packs
  • Free on the spot microchipping service

Cllr Ian Moncur, Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: “These events are a great opportunity for dog owners to find out more about our Good Dog Code and the Public Space Protection Order.

“We continue to encourage responsible dog ownership throughout the borough and would urge everyone to make sure they are aware of what this PSPO entails.

“Dog owners will also be able to get a wealth of help and information from our friends at Dogs Trust too at the sessions.”

The  event will take place at Bootle YMCA, park street L20 9AD, Wednesday, February 6, from 11am to 3pm.

For more information about the PSPO visit www.sefton.gov.uk/dogs.

Two charged following purse thefts in Sefton

Two people have been charged with theft and fraud offences following reports purses belonging to two women were stolen in Formby and Southport on 28 November 2018.

It was reported that the purse of an 83-year-old woman was stolen at Asda in Central 12 Shopping Park in Southport at 10.30am. The purse contained cash and cards and the card was later used to purchase items.

Between 11.15-11.45am the same day, a purse containing cash and cards was taken from a handbag belonging to an 86-year-old woman which had been placed in a trolley at Waitrose in Formby.

Anna Pauline Krezolek, 33 years, and Roman Siwak, 38 years, both of Gordon Road, Ilford, were charged with two counts of theft, four counts of fraud and one of theft by finding.

They were remanded in custody to appear at Liverpool Magistrates Court on Wednesday 16 January.

Search Box