Your guide to the General Election
A Parliamentary General Election will be held on Thursday 8 June 2017.
In Sefton, elections will be held to elect MP’s to the Parliamentary Constituencies of Bootle, Sefton Central and Southport.
To vote in a UK Parliamentary Elections you must be a UK, Irish or Commonwealth Citizen. You must be included on the Register of Electors by the 22 May 2017 and by 18 years of age on the day of the election.
If you are a UK citizen living abroad, you can apply to be an overseas voter. You must have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years and be eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections. If you were too young to register when you left the UK, you can still register as an overseas voter. You can do this if your parent or guardian was registered to vote in the UK, as long as you left the UK no more than 15 years ago
European Union Citizens currently included on the Register of Electors are not entitled to vote at UK Parliamentary Elections.
Make your voice heard
- Official Poll Cards will be sent to all current registered electors from the 8 May 2017
- New applications to register to vote must be made by midnight on Monday 22 May 2017
- Applications can be made online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
- When registering to vote you will need to provide your National Insurance Number, please have this to hand before registering.
- Applications to vote by POST must be received by the Returning Officer no later than 5pm on Tuesday 23 May 2017
- Applications to vote by PROXY must be received by the Returning Officer no later than 5pm on Wednesday 31 May 2017
- Information on registering to vote and making applications to vote by post or by proxy can be found at www.yourvotematters.co.uk
- Please be aware that postal and proxy applications forms must downloaded and returned to the Returning Officer at Sefton Council and must include a wet ink signature
- Postal Ballot packs will be issued to those registered to vote by post on or around the 26 May 2017
If you need assistance or further information, please contact Sefton Council on 0345 140 0845 or email Electoral Services at firstname.lastname@example.org